Author Topic: Dream Theater to play in the UAE or Lebanon or somewhere close by....Please!!  (Read 2466 times)

Offline hadifa

Hey all, I have lived in Dubai my whole life and we have a serious lack of decent gigs out here, most of the acts that come this way tend to be DJ's or bands that where big in the 80's which is really for the UK crowd. My best concert has to be Metallica and they've been to Abu Dhabi (UAE capital) twice and thousands of people went. So, I decided to create a facebook page dedicated to growing interest in having DT play in the UAE. here's the link https://www.facebook.com/dreamtheaterlivearabside?ref=aymt_homepage_panel  now its only been up for a couple of days but my plan is to add interesting videos and clips of gigs and other stuff related to DT. So please like, share, comment and feel free to post your own stuff and Dream Theater, guys come on, come over here, you have countless fans in the Arab world and Indian sub-continent, share the love man :)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Are you serious?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Cable

---

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I'm not particularly good with geography, but even I know that UAE and Lebanon are nowhere near each other.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not particularly good with geography, but even I know that UAE and Lebanon are nowhere near each other.

I guess he's willing to travel.

But seriously, I don't think the band would ever go to Lebanon or anywhere near that region at the moment.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Madman Shepherd

Lebanon, no.  UAE is fine.  UAE is practically the most westernized of the middle eastern countries.  Still, they are relatively strict by western standards.  It is not unheard of for bands to play there, even of DT's caliber.  Any females they are touring with better make sure their shoulders are covered once they leave the beach though. 

Hadifa, the only hope you have of DT playing there is to find a good promoter who can contact the band and have them fit it into their travel schedule.  If you're serious about this, start contacting local venues and see if they can bring DT.  Venues/promoters are the ones that set it up, not the band. 

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Yeah, I would say just try to get into contact with some local promoter in Dubai and try to convince them it's worth their while to bring Dream Theater to the UAE.  I'm actually a little surprised DT has never played there, or anywhere else in the Middle East/North Africa/India.   I've heard Dubai has a burgeoning metal scene. I know years ago Symphony X was touring India, and I know there are other progressive metal bands that have played in the region in recent years.  Dream Theater should get in on that action.  Seriously, just look up some promoters in the area who book similar bands, and see if they can bring DT to Dubai.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Playing Israel should be rather straightforward.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
I hear that big production tribute bands make a killing touring places too risky to tour.  Maybe you should find a good tribute band, or better yet put one together, there's a great vocalist that sometimes post here that sounds and looks just like JLB.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
They can make a killing, eh? :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member

Offline Madman Shepherd

Playing Israel should be rather straightforward.

Dream Theater has played Israel before

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
Well I wish they would play in North Carolina.

Online Anguyen92

^^ Honestly, I do not know why but it seems like bands of their size (that can fill like 2k-4k capacity sized venues in the states) seems to avoid North Carolina for some reason.  Either bands skip it altogether or play this festival there called Carolina Rebellion, a festival that is totally not suitable for Dream Theater.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Yeah, if memory serves, Rebellion is mostly has-been hair metal bands.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Anguyen92

Hmmm, that's a bit different than what I thought it was.  It's mostly bands of modern radio hard rock (A7X, Shinedown, Three Days Grace, Halestorm, etc.), not that much better than has-been hair metal bands, but I prefer it over hair metal bands.  All in all, it's pretty much the only outlet that the majority of my favorite bands goes to in the Carolinas (there are exceptions, but it is exceptions).  The point still stands, DT would not be a suitable fit in that festival. 

If only there was an easy way to see how many people are interested in a concert in a particular areas, in general.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Hmmm, that's a bit different than what I thought it was.  It's mostly bands of modern radio hard rock (A7X, Shinedown, Three Days Grace, Halestorm, etc.), not that much better than has-been hair metal bands, but I prefer it over hair metal bands.  All in all, it's pretty much the only outlet that the majority of my favorite bands goes to in the Carolinas (there are exceptions, but it is exceptions).  The point still stands, DT would not be a suitable fit in that festival. 
Admittedly, I was going off of hearsay.  I've never actually been to it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
Re: Dream Theater to play in the UAE or Lebanon or somewhere close by....Please!!
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 04:06:02 PM »
I genuinely thought this was a joke when I read "Dream Theater" and "Lebanon" in the thread. UAE would be okay, I guess, but going to Lebanon would be a big risk for a metal band from the US. Wouldn't it also stop them going to Israel at all in future because of the relationships these countries have?