Author Topic: Why the Dislike of "Scarred?"  (Read 5494 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Why the Dislike of "Scarred?"
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2015, 06:36:38 AM »
Top 5 DT song for sure! :metal

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2015, 08:46:11 AM »
I would even say that Scarred has the best vocal performance by JLB.
Never really thought about it in that light, but yeah.  You may be right.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2015, 12:03:56 PM »
Top 5 DT song for sure! :metal

Yeah...I love this song.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pdurbin22

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2015, 01:31:57 PM »
I don't know where you got the impression that this forum dislikes Scarred (and before anyone says anything, the last time I even mentioned Scarred in passing was a month before the OP even signed up a few weeks ago, so try again).

I can only speak for my own dislike of Scarred of course, but being disjointed is only one of its many problems imo, although it is a definite factor. I feel the heavy riffs are contrived, the chorus is DT's weakest, and there's the tacked on random outro that doesn't serve the song. The laid back intro with JP's lead is the only part that's ok for me.

And it's called having an opinion. Nothing at all wrong with that. :)

Of course people are entitled to opinions and anyone has the right not to like this song.  I was just caught a little off guard when I saw about three different posters dis on "Scarred" and was like "Wait - I thought DT fans universally loved this song?"  Nothing wrong with anyone not liking it, though.  Hell, I love "You Not Me" and most people seem to hate it.  To each their own...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2015, 01:37:16 PM »
IIRC, someone (Setlist Scotty??) had a pretty ingenious way of running a ranking event a couple of years ago (other than a Survivor).  In the end, it turned out that TDEN and Scarred were the two most polarizing songs within DTF - either loved it, or hated it.

I'm of the former.  Top 10 song for sure; maybe Top 5.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2015, 02:59:00 PM »
I was just caught a little off guard when I saw about three different posters dis on "Scarred" and was like "Wait - I thought DT fans universally loved this song?"

It is universally loved.  A few haters isn't gonna change that.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Cable

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2015, 04:05:02 PM »
Top 5 DT song for me. Only weak part is JP's intro solo IMO. JM is doing more of a jazz thing to my ears, JP goes more blues and volume swells which doesn't fit to me.

Transitions work well to me, has a lot of what makes DT great. Solid heavy stuff, top DT lyrics, a top JP solo.
---

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2015, 09:04:05 PM »
It used to sound a bit strange to me, but after listening over and over I came to appreciate it. Music shouldn't be a chore to listen to but sometimes it can take a bit of work to like something and you might surprise yourself. lol It's far from being my favourite from Awake, infact it's one of the least memorable parts of Awake for me but the song still has some great moments, especially that instrumental section.  :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2015, 11:40:59 PM »
Of course people are entitled to opinions and anyone has the right not to like this song.  I was just caught a little off guard when I saw about three different posters dis on "Scarred" and was like "Wait - I thought DT fans universally loved this song?"  Nothing wrong with anyone not liking it, though.  Hell, I love "You Not Me" and most people seem to hate it.  To each their own...

I don't mind YNM, although it's the only track on the album I skip and kinda wish they'd left off. But I don't get the hate. It's for too benign to warrant legitimate hate. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2015, 09:28:47 AM »

As far as Scarred, it's one of my top DT songs.  I was so happy to see it on the last Blu-Ray! I'm also with you on "You Not Me"  I LOVE it!  Like I always say, it's dedicated and about my ex-wife... :lol

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2015, 02:24:23 PM »
It certainly didn't appeal to me for the first few listens, but then it just clicked in that magical inexplicable way that songs have of doing that.

Offline JLa

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2015, 05:04:28 PM »
Listen to 5:30 onwards and then tell me you don't love this song.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2015, 05:36:36 PM »

It shows JLB's wild side of his voice.

Anyway, my "the best" answer has not been changed for years. Their best album is I&W while their best song is Scarred.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2015, 06:35:06 PM »

Yeah. It's like the only DT song where JLB showed his softer, vulnerable style, combined his angry vocals, a bit of "pop" style (the chorus), and his power belting, all in one song.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2015, 06:37:01 PM »
Imagine just how frustrating it was for him. Reaching his vocal peak and then the poisoning incident happens...
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline deslock

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2015, 06:08:08 AM »
I bought Awake the day it came out. Scarred immediately stood out as the album's best track, and today I still rank it among Dream Theater's top 10 or 20).

Online Mladen

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2015, 06:24:42 AM »
Top 5 material for me as well. It's one of those perfect songs.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2015, 04:40:44 PM »
And it's called having an opinion. Nothing at all wrong with that. :)
I'm kind of joking about it, because I found our past discussions of the song pretty humorous. If you think the joke is overdone, let us know and we'll stop, don't mean to bother you buddy :)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2015, 06:01:23 AM »
I can only speak for my own dislike of Scarred of course, but being disjointed is only one of its many problems imo, although it is a definite factor. I feel the heavy riffs are contrived, the chorus is DT's weakest, and there's the tacked on random outro that doesn't serve the song. The laid back intro with JP's lead is the only part that's ok for me.
I don't hate or even dislike the song, but this pretty well sums up why I only find it ok. There are factors that, on their own, wouldn't be a big deal but which lower the overall song in combination.

For example, the disjointedness. Doesn't bother me if other factors are strong, such as melodies, riffs, or a general good quality build-up. Scarred just does all of those things ok, but none of them particularly well. In my opinion, obviously.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2015, 02:15:53 AM »
That semi-accoustic version they play on 5 Years in a Livetime is awesome, though.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2015, 08:13:48 PM »
Huh? Semi acoustic? Scarred? Really? ???

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2015, 11:24:50 PM »
Yes, really.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2015, 08:02:19 AM »
I don't remember anything like that on 5YIAL.  I will check it out when I get home from work.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2015, 09:29:55 AM »
It´s the ´Rotterdam´ portion on the dvd. With all the candles on stage and stuff.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2015, 10:04:14 AM »
It´s the ´Rotterdam´ portion on the dvd. With all the candles on stage and stuff.
Yeah, I know about those portions.  But not all the songs performed during that section were semi-acoustic, and I don't remember Scarred being performed on that DVD at all.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2015, 04:24:17 PM »
You sure your not confusing it with To Live Forever, or Lifting Shadows. 

I never heard Scarred On 5YIAL
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2015, 05:56:17 PM »
Scarred is not on 5YIAL. 

I think Cyclopsssssss is confusing it with something else.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2015, 07:27:55 PM »
I do believe it's on OIALT though, although it's not exactly semi-acoustic and it's a bit shorter than the studio version.

I think MP was unhappy with this version so they put this song on CiM aswell...  :xbones

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2015, 02:26:01 AM »
Alright, my bad. I was sure I'd seen it played during the 'Nighttown sessions'. But I guess I must have mixed some versions up. There are great versions played during that session though. Too bad they didn't do more of that kind of intimite setting gigs.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2015, 03:09:22 PM »
I've said this before, but Scarred and 6:00 are my two favorite songs from Awake.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2015, 10:18:25 PM »
I love it specially the instrumental break and the clean part.
And she listens openly