Author Topic: Worst song to introduce someone to DT  (Read 8140 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Worst song to introduce someone to DT
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2015, 09:29:18 AM »
Anally.

I mean.. Anna Lee.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2015, 09:50:10 AM »
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2015, 10:16:14 AM »
Erotomania.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2015, 10:49:26 AM »
Just Let Me Breathe because this is one of the first songs my friend played for me and I wouldn't get into DT for another few years when I finally heard good songs.

Shame on you for making a judgement based off one song.  :p  I guess you had another few Hollow Years huh?   :lol

Never Enough is the worst.  PoW would be a close runner up.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2015, 11:35:02 AM »
I'm not so surprised that many people are saying Metropolis Pt. 1, though that hasn't necessarily been the case for myself. I'm not really sure if I'm just an exception, but that was one of the very first DT songs I had ever listened to and I was instantly hooked. I wasn't even into prog at the time.

Introducing someone into DT in the right manner really all depends on that person's musical taste and background. I'd say it's the worst to start them off with a song that only gives them a tight-knit idea of what the band is all about. Repentance certainly comes to mind, as I'm not sure any new listeners would be willing to sit through 10 minutes of a monotonous bass line. Some of the shorter power ballads come to mind too.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2015, 01:31:46 PM »
To help clarify this, let's consider the opposite. What songs got you in to Dream Theater? For me, it was either A Rite of Passage or Under A Glass Moon
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2015, 01:41:57 PM »
Panic Attack and Endless Sacrifice, PMU and pretty much the rest of ToT shortly after.

Panic Attack hasn't gotten better for me over time, but Endless Sacrifice remains a top 5 song for me. :heart
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2015, 01:58:11 PM »
To help clarify this, let's consider the opposite. What songs got you in to Dream Theater? For me, it was either A Rite of Passage or Under A Glass Moon

In The Name Of God and Endless Sacrifice were my introduction songs. The rest of ToT, and eventually the other albums came after. WDADU really made DT my favorite band.

I still love all the songs on ToT, because they bring back a lot of positive memories. Ahh, the days of blasting that album while playing PS2 for hours.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline 425

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2015, 02:37:07 PM »
I don't remember. I know ToT was my first album. But then the song that convinced me to get the rest of their albums was Pull Me Under, which I still think is one of the best introductory songs (maybe second-best to its sister song, On the Backs of Angels).
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2015, 08:31:17 PM »
I would say Lost Not Forgotten. I mean, that tickle section... You can't just blindside someone with it.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2015, 09:28:58 PM »
Home

the sex would probably make quite a few people uncomfortable, and honestly I think it's unnecessary
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2015, 09:37:27 PM »
I'd say any ballad (Wait for Sleep, Space-Dye Vest, Hollow Years, The Spirit Carries On, Beneath the Surface etc.) would be a bad introduction. People who expect technical proggy stuff would be turned off, as well as people who want some heavy riffing and shredding.

Hmm, I was kind of implying in my post that certain ballads wouldn't be a good example. But, I deliberately didn't mention Wait for Sleep, Spirit, Disappear or even Vacant, because... Well for a start, WFS and TSCO aren't nearly as morbid as SDV/BTS/FFH, plus WWS is a bit more technical in my mind, i mean the first few bars switch between 10/8, 9/8 and 12/8 and constantly switches between these time signatures for the rest of the song. And I think Disappear and Vacant actually have captured something quite unique with the moods they create and Vacant feels like part of a bigger whole because SoC. Opinions though I guess, people probably feel the same way about Space Dye Vest even though personally I'm not much of a fan of it.

In this order I think:
- Honor Thy Father
- Pull Me Under
- Constant Motion
- Panic Attack
- A Rite of Passage

Something like that... Yeah... Also TOT and BC&SL albums. Those songs are the rather varied ones if anything, but I still love them all for getting me into the band even if they don't played as much as recent favourites.

Home

the sex would probably make quite a few people uncomfortable, and honestly I think it's unnecessary

I didn't even notice those for I don't even know how long, I doubt they'd put someone off the whole song though. I just lold when I finally noticed it.  :lol
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:46:37 AM by Rodni Demental »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2015, 12:55:13 AM »
DT's music is varied, and so is the musical background of new fans, so it's hard to say a song is a bad song to introduce someone to the band.

Some songs may seem too long and complex to start with, but I never had a problem with the longer songs from the start, in fact I thought it was cool at the time that these songs were longer and more difficult than anything else I'd heard. A lot of other prog/metal/rock bands write songs that are longer than average, even if still nowhere near DT's average. Just because people aren't used to DT's song length, doesn't mean they're not ready for it!

Some songs may seem too short and not representative, but this works for a lot of people too. DT have written a lot of amazing shorter songs, even if they don't showcase all elements of the band to people. Ween them onto DT with something catchy and easily digestible, then work your way up to the longer songs. Start with just the tip so they don't cry when you go all in. :zydar:

And then other songs seem like a bad choice simply because they're not good songs to us, but that comes down to opinion. I've heard of people getting into the band from all kinds of different songs, even ones that people would suggest as joke answers.

So to answer the question, I don't know. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Calvin6s

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2015, 12:56:50 AM »
Home

I didn't even notice those for I don't even know how long, I doubt they'd put someone off the whole song though. I just lold when I finally noticed it.  :lol

It is very noticeable when you hop in your car with somebody, turn the key and the stereo starts up where it left off ... right during the Home moaning section and your passenger is looking at you like you've got the strangest taste in music ever.  And don't try an explain that it will all be fixed by murder.  And if your car is a van with no side rear windows, your passenger might start to get a little fearful of what is about to go down.

But if you think that is awkward, nothing compares to same scenario, except it is Jordan's vaudeville piano solo blaring out of the speakers. 

At that point you just write a check to each member of DT and apologize for permanently creating a non-fan. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2015, 08:47:31 AM »
So to answer the question, I don't know. :lol
I knew I could count on you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2015, 10:09:48 AM »
Take Away My Pain

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2015, 10:54:37 AM »
Well, I actually agree with Train, Scarred is indeed extremely innaccessible and is more a test of patience than encapsulating what DT is about.

Whoa.  Whoa. Wait. Hold up.

Back when you actually used to go into a store and try out audio/video equipment, Scarred was the song I popped in to test if I really liked the speakers/receiver/CD player ... whatever.

Without fail, somebody would come up to us and ask what they were hearing.  And it wasn't long haired metal heads or dudes wearing metal shirts.

Then Voices and Eve (all on Awake) would seal the deal.  Especially Eve.

QFT. My brother and I always spin Awake in his car, partly because it sounds so amazingly deep, fat and rich. He doesn't care for the other DT albums.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline JLa

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2015, 05:06:05 PM »
Canadian rap.

Or Voices from OIAL.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2015, 05:39:40 PM »
Anything from Images And Words.

Now I mostly only say this from personal experience, I was very turned off by the extreme 80's hard rock sound they had going and some of the song structures are impenetrable (Metropolis, Learning To Live). Rather, it wasn't until getting familiar with DT's other stuff that I began truly appreciating the songwriting and masterful production of I&W later on.

I'd say if you want to grab someone, and grab them quick, hold off on anything from I&W. And maybe Awake while you're at it, but it honestly just depends on what kind of listener you're dealing with at that point.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2015, 07:17:21 PM »
DT's ballads, IMO. If you are fan that's OK, they are all great. If not it's not a great way to introduce to DT to anyone.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2015, 05:22:33 PM »
DT's ballads, IMO. If you are fan that's OK, they are all great. If not it's not a great way to introduce to DT to anyone.

That's not really true. I mean, I have friends who are a lot more into pop and soft rock, and I know they probably wouldn't be into the super complex stuff, but they still very much enjoy songs like Hollow Years, I Walk Beside You, etc. Now, you could argue that yeah, that's not exactly the epitome of what DT is about, but hey, I'd much rather they listened to DT's softer stuff than not listen to DT at all.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2015, 05:50:27 PM »
Just poking in to add a quick thought to the discussion. I wouldn't be shy in the slightest to introduce someone to DT with some of their longer epics initially. If they think it's too long, or get bored after awhile, then either they aren't into such music, or they're not someone I'm probably going to bother with introducing DT to in the first place. I don't see it as a chess game, where I should be mindful of easing someone into the 7 levels of DT hell. I'm going to take them right to Diablo, dammit. Screw messing with the peons on level 1. If they don't like it, they can piss off. It won't bother me none if they can't hack it.  :tup

Go for whatever moves you the most from their catalogue. Or go with the consensus of populars. I tried this method and it worked with most everyone I've introduced DT to. I've started off with Metropolis, Learning to Live, Voices, A Change of Seasons, Lifting Shadows off a Dream, and even Breaking all Illusions. I even got a Christian girl that loves low key folk music and classic rock (Jethro Tull, Led Zep, etc) into DT by showing her Lines in the Sand. She continued to like them after This Dying Soul.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2015, 06:26:20 PM »
You Not Me
The Silent Man
The Answer Lies Within
Prophets of War
Repentance
Never Enough
Take Away My Pain
Anna Lee
The Best of Times
Beneath the Surface
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2015, 09:06:39 PM »
^^^ Never Enough might not be a popular song here, but I would still more likely use it than most of those songs for certain people, after all it's got a catchy riff and and some other neat guitaring. Same with The Best of Times with it's sort of soft rock feel and, and still showcases some great composition (acoustic guitar/piano intro not to mention guitar solo).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2015, 05:40:18 AM »
^^^ Never Enough might not be a popular song here, but I would still more likely use it than most of those songs for certain people, after all it's got a catchy riff and and some other neat guitaring. Same with The Best of Times with it's sort of soft rock feel and, and still showcases some great composition (acoustic guitar/piano intro not to mention guitar solo).

Those two would definitely be at the top of that specific list I posted, but still IMO you wouldn't use them with what the band has on offer.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2015, 08:53:08 AM »
Repentance is one of the songs that helped get my friend into DT.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2015, 09:10:32 AM »
Dude! Check out Dream Theater! They're amazing!

This song is called "Never Enough".

It's about how much they hate their fans !! ;D

« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2015, 04:24:59 AM »

My friend actually put it on at a house party he was having, and one of his other friends, I kid you not, the first thing she asked was, "Is this Muse?"  :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2015, 06:07:30 AM »
:lol I think the only appropriate answer to that is "Yes."
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2015, 03:58:44 PM »

*First post, so I figured this would be fitting.*

My introduction to DT was actually on 2015 New Years Day, when I heard a few songs from Octavarium. I believe they were Root of all Evil, These Walls, Panic Attack & Never Enough in that order. That moment when I first heard the chorus of TRoaE, that was the moment I became a Dream Theater fan.  :hefdaddy
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2015, 07:50:27 PM »
Mike Thinks He's Dee Dee Ramone Introducing a Song Song

:facepalm:

That song is amazing

I gotta realize that theres a difference between my tastes and others. I don't like Scarred so I probably wouldn't use that; however I realize many people love it so it would work for someone.

I also not counting the older albums.

I'd probably say... This Dying Soul. It's my least favorite of the AA suite and just seems disjointed.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2015, 07:54:59 PM »

I still never have forgiven Mike for how his blood spilled on my brand new floor.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2015, 06:57:53 AM »

My introduction to DT was actually on 2015 New Years Day, when I heard a few songs from Octavarium. I believe they were Root of all Evil, These Walls, Panic Attack & Never Enough in that order. That moment when I first heard the chorus of TRoaE, that was the moment I became a Dream Theater fan.  :hefdaddy

Sweet! Also, welcome to the forum!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2015, 06:32:48 PM »

Sweet! Also, welcome to the forum!
Thanks  :smiley:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline pcs90

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2015, 03:01:58 PM »
I don't see why so many people wouldn't introduce someone to DT with a ballad. Sure, it's not super technical, but if the person listens to similar music already, wouldn't it be best to start with something similar to what they already like? At least they'd like some DT songs rather than be put off because whatever they heard first was too technical, or heavy, or whatever else. I know people who'd probably love IWBY, These Walls and the other more mainstream songs but probably would hate Metropolis.
Another thing I've done for myself is cut certain sections out...for example the sex part of Home, the ambient section of IT, the ending of Misunderstood, etc. So, with some audio editing even the longer songs could make great introductions too. The key is to find something that might connect with the person, musically or lyrically...