Author Topic: The most recognizable drum fills ever  (Read 4050 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: The most recognizable drum fills ever
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2016, 04:33:08 PM »
Honestly, this
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2016, 04:36:43 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2016, 05:09:05 PM »
Unless I missed it, I cannot believe no one has mentioned the drum fill before the last verse in Hotel California. :eek :eek

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2016, 06:09:40 PM »
How old are you?  More correctly, how old were you when MTV first started?   

39. So... 5? I was big in to MTV in the 80s, and I do recall that song getting heavy video/radio rotation. I just never cared for it. Or pretty much anything Phil Collins did.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2016, 06:17:33 PM »
Tim, On The Loose - Saga
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2016, 07:12:05 PM »
Always a thrill to come here and get my weekly Rick Astley fix.

'Wipeout' might nudge Collins from #1.  It would all depend on who was asked.  I certainly prefer Phil.

When I think of Beatles, 'The End' jumps right out.  But not far behind would be 'Come Together', and a personal nod to 'Rain'.

My favorite, with more than a few memorable moments, is The Who's 'The Rock'.  Moon is just all over the place in a great way.  Side four of 'Quadraphenia' is one of my all-time Top Ten album sides.

Bonham's been mentioned, with an added nod to the beginning of 'When The Levee Breaks'. Peart's been mentioned...how I wish I could play 'Xanadu'.   Oh, I would be remiss if I didn't mention how I do love MP's drumming in 'Never Enough', all of Disc 2 of 'Six Degrees', a more than a few others...

btw....., as to the well known Queen 'We Will Rock You' studio version, there are no drums.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 08:14:59 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2016, 08:26:19 PM »
My favorite, with more than a few memorable moments, is The Who's 'The Rock'.  Moon is just all over the place in a great way.  Side four of 'Quadraphenia' is one of my all-time Top Ten album sides.

I was killing myself thinking about Moonie, and how nothing of his came to mind for this thread. Then it hit me. The fill at the end of 'Won't Get Fooled Again' right before Roger's CSI Miami scream.

I don't listen to Quadrophenia enough. It is a bit like The Astonishing, in that I won't think to pop it in to listen to a specific track or tracks. I want to listen to the whole thing start to finish, which is an obvious time investment.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2016, 08:42:56 PM »
Okay, are we talking about drum fills or drum beats?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2016, 09:25:12 AM »
The "hammer" in Sad But True.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline T-ski

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2016, 09:43:31 AM »
In the Air Tonight - Phil Collins (don't even have to say when or what it is)

It is indeed the most recognizable, and most mediocre, part of a lame song.

How old are you?  More correctly, how old were you when MTV first started?   ITAT was like the 20th song aired or something like that.  That sound was something unmediocre, and unlame to a 15 year old boy just getting into music.   

(Bonus trivia: Everyone knows "Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles was the first song/band played... what was the second?  What was the first Prog song/band played?  What was the first metal song/band played?  Who was the first Beatle to appear on MTV?)

I believe it was a Pat Benetar song, but I can't remember which one.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2016, 09:44:12 AM »
Okay, are we talking about drum fills or drum beats?

Fills.

And recognizable fills don't necessarily have to be ones that are hard to play, which some seem to be focusing on.  Sometimes they are both, but not always.

For example, that little fill before the chorus in Love Her Madly by The Doors just before the 2-minute mark, is probably easy as heck to play, but is one everyone (who knows the Doors) knows.

Another example of an easy one that everyone knows: The ones before every chorus during the last three minutes of Shout by Tears for Fears.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2016, 03:24:24 PM »
Whole Lotta Love - that little thing that John Bonham does in between the orgasmic psychedelic interlude and Page's chunky riff and solo.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2016, 04:02:37 PM »
FYI, the second song ever on MTV was Pat Benatar, "You Better Run".  Nice, T-ski.

The first prog was NOT Saga (but GREAT guess) and the first metal was not Priest (but you could not possibly be closer, in my opinion).

The first Beatle was not George or Ringo.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2016, 05:21:37 AM »
More 'oldies', but they are recognizable: 'Fool In The Rain'-Led Zeppelin, 'Keep Yourself Alive'-Queen (2:15 mark), 'Eyes of a Stranger'-Queensryche (4:45ish.....hard for me to be driving in a car when I want to air drum to this).

'Billion Dollar Babies'-Alice Cooper.  From 'Love It To Death' thru 'Goes To Hell', I give these LPs a spin once a year for fun.  From the original 'group', Neal Smith was quite good.  No doubt influenced by Moon, as his fills can go all over the place (if one listens for them).
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2016, 05:56:23 AM »
Surely THAT drum fill from " Sad But True ". It's true what Bob Rock says - you can't hear it and NOT air drum it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2016, 05:56:36 AM »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2016, 12:06:42 PM »
FYI, the second song ever on MTV was Pat Benatar, "You Better Run".  Nice, T-ski.

The first prog was NOT Saga (but GREAT guess) and the first metal was not Priest (but you could not possibly be closer, in my opinion).

Knew it was Pat but couldn't remember the song.

First metal band I thought was maiden?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2016, 12:35:50 PM »

As Lowdz said, Maiden? I remember them playing Wrathchild a lot. Prog band would be Rush then. Or Genesis.

First Beatle would be either Paul or John then. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2016, 01:21:50 PM »
Styx as the prog band? They were big in those days.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2016, 03:00:24 PM »
You guys are dancing around the answers, but you're close enough where I'm going to call it.

Prog band:  Styx, I think the song was "Rockin' The Paradise".  For me, "Styx = Prog" is a little of a stretch, but there you go.
Metal band:  Iron Maiden, the song was Iron Maiden from the Rainbow show
The first Beatle was Paul.  It was from one of those charity things, I can't remember which one.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2016, 03:01:45 PM »
That was my first exposure to Maiden. They chopped up the Rainbow show. I thought they looked so freaking cool.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2016, 03:59:50 PM »
Iron Maiden is the first band I thought of for this topic:

-There are several in Run to the Hills.

-Same for the trooper, but there's a really cool, very subtle one right before the vocals kick in.

-Infinite dreams. I love the drum rolls from just after 3:00 to about 3:13, just before the SCREAM!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2016, 04:24:23 PM »
-Infinite dreams. I love the drum rolls from just after 3:00 to about 3:13, just before the SCREAM!

:metal :metal

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2016, 02:48:23 PM »
The intro of Stargazer? :P

Seconded. I would add Painkiller by Judas Priest.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael