Author Topic: FEAR THE WALKING DEAD  (Read 39953 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: FEAR THE WALKING DEAD
« Reply #280 on: June 05, 2017, 09:33:10 AM »
I agree. First two seasons were relatively boring. The two hour premier of season three seemed to have introduced an interesting new angle and I was glad to see them grow a pair and kill off a core character (of importance)
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #281 on: June 12, 2017, 12:53:03 PM »
Actually thought the last episode was pretty good, atleast it made the show a bit more interesting.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: June 12, 2017, 01:58:01 PM »
I like the direction they've taken the show thus far. Simply because it has a direction and they are doing it well. It was a good idea to break Strands character/story off to a separate Stoy like they have. He's a cool enough character to carry a 'stand alone' storyline

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: June 18, 2017, 09:53:03 PM »
Another solid episode. This series is really finding its place and is settling in to a nice vibe

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #284 on: June 19, 2017, 06:45:37 AM »
I loved that episode with Daniel, and the preview for next week looks killer too.  The Daniel and Strand Road Show.   :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #285 on: June 19, 2017, 03:37:33 PM »
Yea it's definitely more interesting than usual.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: June 23, 2017, 01:46:55 AM »
I'm midway through season 2 and felt like I need to share an opinion because I'm boiling.
two things I never fuckin do, one I've already done and the second is what I'm here to do and I apologize in advance.
The two things are:
1. Continue watching something that I don't like, especially when it gets me to this level of aggravation. But my excuse is that I'm stranded somewhere for work now, my internet is not good enough for streaming or downloading anything and FTWD season 2 has already been on my hard drive for a long time.
2. Go into a thread that celebrates something and start shitting on it, I really don't like people who do that and I've never done it myself.
BUT GOOD FUCKIN GOD IS THIS SHOW SHIT. It's not shitty, it is shit. It oozes shit.
This show makes the main show looks like a fuckin masterpiece of writing, I need to apologize to Gimple in person and recommend him for the Noble prize in literature!
The characters are so badly written, it actually gives me a headache sometimes. 90% of their actions are either unjustifiable or illogical and the remaining 10% is plainly the worst choice you could have made in any given situation they face.
The actors are understandably just unable to make the best out of the scripts, but either way other than Curtis and not-Johnny-Depp; the rest of the cast are godawful, excruciatingly.
And btw, wasn't this show sold to us as something that would show us the beginning of the outbreak and how everything fell apart? how much did we see of that really?! How quickly did this show turn into the main show but with a different group?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #287 on: June 23, 2017, 03:40:06 AM »
It's fair to say that there was quite a bit of talk about the quailty of season 2 in this thread.  :lol I say if you survive all the way through S02, there's some shining light in S03 but don't expect it in the first episode.  :P Honestly, the recent episodes have been probably the best of the entire show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: July 09, 2017, 10:27:40 PM »
What a mid season finale! This show is pretty friggin awesome right now. I love how they've really found a groove with this season. Very excited for the second half of the season.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #289 on: July 10, 2017, 06:47:33 AM »
I'm really happy with the season so far - the finale was full of tension and unexpected moments.  Looking forward to the back half of the season now! 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: July 10, 2017, 07:51:31 AM »
I think it'd be very interesting to see them gradually turn Madison into a 'Governor' or 'Neegan' type character. Rather than have her group always be the 'good' guys.....she ultimately becomes the 'bad' guy all the while justifying it through doing it for the better of her family and the people she's protecting.

They've spoken about it before to where had we followed Neegan's crew around for 5 seasons you'd have thought Rick's group were the bad guys given what they'd done to Neegans men. It's all about perspective. That's why I think it'd be neat to see them lead Madison's character down that road....it'd be different yet interesting.

But thus far...this season of FTWD has been pretty dang great and dare I say on par or better than TWD.....

Offline Grappler

« Reply #291 on: July 10, 2017, 08:38:48 AM »
That would be an interesting twist, especially since the main show follows a group that will always be the "good guys" in the viewer's eyes, justifying their actions for the safety of the group.  The mid-season finale did address it a little with the skeleton buried under the house and Nick/Alicia trying to convince Madison that there have to be lines that aren't crossed, but she's willing to cross them based on her backstory. 

I don't know if it would work though - the lines are always blurred, especially in this story.  Who is good and who is bad?  Jeremiah had it right - he who holds the land, owns the land.  Is it wrong for the Native Americans to try to take back the land now that there is no law and order in the world since they were wronged years ago?

It's pretty clear that Madison is now the leader and decision maker (which I love - I'm glad that SOMEONE finally stepped up on this show and is doing what needs to be done), though she'll probably lead through Jake and Troy, since they are the family that leads the ranch.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: September 10, 2017, 08:45:09 PM »
I must say I just watch this one while I wait for The Walking Dead to come back on.
But it did seem to improve before the mid season break. Actually looking forward to watching it later after work!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: September 10, 2017, 11:15:51 PM »
This season has been terrific and it hasn't stopped. Great mid season premier that sets in motion plenty of believable conflict. It feels like this show is reallly getting its footing.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #294 on: September 11, 2017, 08:55:18 AM »
I'm really happy with this season.  I like the idea that water has become the big ticket commodity in these desert areas.  You don't get that in the main show, since it's set in rural Georgia or the eastern US, where it is plentiful.  It's also allowing these characters that were split off to finally reunite.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: September 11, 2017, 03:17:56 PM »
It was great opener. Though I do wish they would kill off the daughter, is she just there as eye candy for you guys?!
Nick seems like he has put on a bit of weight, which is probably good, he did look quite emaciated for a while.
Even if he was portraying an ex junkie. Look forward to seeing where it does from here...  :corn

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: September 24, 2017, 09:34:41 PM »
Yet another solid episode. Great action, great story going on. Really like this season.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: September 25, 2017, 03:57:11 PM »
^^^^Too True .. Looking forward to the last 3 episodes to see where it goes from here.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #298 on: September 26, 2017, 02:48:54 PM »
Been some solid episodes this season but I find Troy to be so damn annoying and i'm so confused why Madison and Nick seems to protect him all the time. Madison could have just killed him at the desert for all he's done because she's killed others before but nooo she just let him go when it's sooo damn clear he will be back. The same with Nick, he couldn't let Jake kill him and now Jake is dead and Troy is alive.  :facepalm:

I also wonder why they didn't use the grenade launcher? even if it was to late they could have atleast tried to lure the zombies away with it.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #299 on: October 01, 2017, 08:21:05 PM »
Holy crap was that a brutal episode.  I don't even think that the main show has really gone there. Yeah, they sacrifice the infected and put them down, but that many?  All by one person?

Absolutely fantastic - I felt so awful while watching that episode, which is nice to know that these series can still do that to me at times.   

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: October 01, 2017, 10:17:03 PM »
Holy crap was that a brutal episode.  I don't even think that the main show has really gone there. Yeah, they sacrifice the infected and put them down, but that many?  All by one person?

Absolutely fantastic - I felt so awful while watching that episode, which is nice to know that these series can still do that to me at times.   

Yeah, this was another great episode. Like you said, this episode was DARK! Alicia's character will never be the same....and I like the fact she had the epiphany she had and wants to go it alone now.

I've enjoyed this third season greatly, it's been real strong and has me excited to see where they take it next season.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: October 09, 2017, 09:10:31 AM »
Confirmation that FTWD will cross over with TWD sometime next season. How they pull it off is the question? I'm leaning towards one of the characters from FTWD showing up in TWD's timeline. There are several characters in FTWD that are splintering off now so I could see Alicia, Strand, Nick or Madison going off on their own and ending up on TWD.

Madison has a southern history....from Alabama....maybe they show a flashback and she's related to Daryl/Merle or even Rick?

I just hope it's done well and it's not cheesy.

but as for FTWD all I can say is this was a make or break season for me to continue watching and it definitely 'made' it for me. Really good storytelling this season from them...it was on point and focused unlike the first two seasons.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #302 on: October 09, 2017, 09:31:26 AM »
Confirmation that FTWD will cross over with TWD sometime next season. How they pull it off is the question? I'm leaning towards one of the characters from FTWD showing up in TWD's timeline. There are several characters in FTWD that are splintering off now so I could see Alicia, Strand, Nick or Madison going off on their own and ending up on TWD.

Madison has a southern history....from Alabama....maybe they show a flashback and she's related to Daryl/Merle or even Rick?

I saw that article and the ideas are fantastic.  They've stated that FTWD is now at a timeline of being equal to Seasons 1 and early Season 2 of The Walking Dead.  This brings up so many more options since they could also cross over with earlier characters from TWD that have since been killed off (Shane, Andrea, even the Governor)

Abraham, Eugene and Rosita met in Texas and were traveling east when they arrived on TWD - and with FTWD being set in the west, one of these characters is my likely bet. 

But with Madison's past being in the southeast, they could easily cross over any of the main characters as well, though it would probably need to be a pre-apocalypse flashback since that's way too great of a distance to travel.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: October 09, 2017, 09:54:27 AM »

I saw that article and the ideas are fantastic.  They've stated that FTWD is now at a timeline of being equal to Seasons 1 and early Season 2 of The Walking Dead.  This brings up so many more options since they could also cross over with earlier characters from TWD that have since been killed off (Shane, Andrea, even the Governor)

Abraham, Eugene and Rosita met in Texas and were traveling east when they arrived on TWD - and with FTWD being set in the west, one of these characters is my likely bet. 

But with Madison's past being in the southeast, they could easily cross over any of the main characters as well, though it would probably need to be a pre-apocalypse flashback since that's way too great of a distance to travel.

The Abraham angle is cool...could easily be accomplished. My hope is that it's just done well and it's not forced.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #304 on: October 15, 2017, 12:41:04 AM »
Finally got around to catching up. I don't even know why I'm still watching at this point other than to laugh at it while watching it with other people, but here are my thoughts.

There's barely ever a zombie in this show, and when there is, it's just some inconsequential background zombie. Instead we get boring shit about land disputes and parlays and water rations. I. DON'T. CARE. They can walk around barefoot in the desert for a whole day and not worry about zombies. They can conjure up a zombie horde and then just sit around in the middle of their path without encountering the zombies. I don't know how their society has degraded when the zombies are such a non issue in this show.

Then finally we get a zombie horde and you realize why this show never has zombie hordes. It's a zombie show that doesn't have the budget for any actual zombies! That's why they stick to distant shots of little specks covered with a dust cloud, or a behind shot, or some blurry distant shot, or a shaky close up of a person with a bit of blood smeared on them. That previous episode was hilariously bad. They get a zombie horde, so they all lock themselves in the bunker, then the daughter does some magical calculation that they have two hours of air left (I don't know what figures she was working with, but it was manufactured drama, they'd have survived a lot longer than that). Then everyone simultaneously dies and turns to zombies except for daughter who gets magically saved at the last minute by her mother. Native American dude didn't seem too cut up that all of his people just died either. Has he even mentioned them? I'd have risked just opening the door again and risk the zombies instead of getting bored to death. You didn't even hear the zombies at the door once they were in there. And the entire horde was basically killed off by an off screen explosion because they didn't have the budget to deal with it. Ofelia was also completely fine for the oxygen situation despite being the one doing physical activity. Being main cast makes you invincible!

The worst part is that so few characters die, and when they do, it's rarely even zombies, it's people. Travis died because people shot him out of a helicopter. His son got shot by humans because he doesn't have his driver's license. Farm dude got shot by Nick. Even during a zombie horde, half of them died from lack of oxygen before a zombie managed to get to them. You'd think then that a show that basically has to avoid zombies and focus on humans would at least have the drama side down, but that's the worst part. Was I supposed to care about the barely missed reunion of Ofelia and father? Because it's really hard to care about two characters that we haven't seen for an entire season and have forgotten about only to magically reappear, one of who just killed half the camp with anthrax, and it was painfully obvious they were going to make her die just before the reunion as soon as dad said he wanted to see his daughter. Such contrived drama. Was I supposed to care about the old lady who died in the bunker just because she had a one minute conversation with the daughter? The only character I remotely care about is Strand, because he's the only one with any personality, and gets the good one liners. None of their deaths would bother me in the slightest.

And somewhere along the way they decided that every main character is a hardened killing machine despite the fact they've actually had a pretty cushy run up to now. Madison acts like she's S7 Rick Grimes, but I'm not buying it. The lame afterthought backstory about killing her dad doesn't do anything to help her cause. She walks in and acts like she's the boss, without earning it.
And now the daughter decides she's going to be on her own because reasons, and stumbles across Michonne Light (who seems like a promising character at least), and Nick decides he's going to stay behind at that place because reasons. I guess they're following the TWD rulebook of splitting every character up so we get a whole bunch of individual character episodes. My favourite.

The show is just so poorly written in general. Half the time I feel like I must have missed a scene or episode because things just happen out of nowhere or don't get shown or explained properly. This show is all of the worst parts of TWD, minus any of the remaining good things. I'm tired of the TWD formula of finding some place to live with a bunch of humans in some cartoony little society with its cartoony quirks, then they get attacked by some other group of people from a different cartoony little society with its cartoony little quirks, then you end the season with it getting destroyed and the characters move along and get split up until the end of the next season. If only they'd throw in the obligatory cast zombie deaths too.

This show could have learned from TWD's mistakes, and tried something different and fresh, but instead it's just a cheap and lazy cash-in milking the name while it's still financially viable. A crossover would definitely help the show, but it might be too little, too late.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 12:56:50 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: October 15, 2017, 09:14:36 AM »
I don't know Blob, I'd agree with that review for the first two seasons but IMO season three took a good turn. I don't mind the fact there are less Walkers and appreciate the effort to make it a more character orientated show.

Are there flaws? Yep. But it's a show about zombies not a sequel to The Godfather. I overlook little flaws like the characters being killing machines already and the unpredictable nature and size of the walker migrations. There'd be no show if this were 'realistic' because realistically they'd all have never made it out of LA

I've enjoyed season three and hope they keep the focus on the characters like they have.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: October 15, 2017, 09:36:03 AM »
I disagree they've focused more on characters, or that their flaws are little.
There's no depth to these characters, and there's been no any logical progression as to how they went from everyday bumbling idiots to cold remorseless killers. One day they're getting drunk in a hotel and making lots of noise, then suddenly they're all pros with knives and guns, and acting like this has been their way of life for as long as they can remember. Nothing on screen supported this sudden turn, and it feels totally unearned and false. It's like they wanted to be TWD S6 already, but didn't want to do any of the stuff inbetween that gave it weight or truth. With Rick you could feel this stuff weighing on his mind, because we saw where he started, and we understand the actions that have led to him being the way he is now. With Madison it's like shut the fuck up and sit down, soccer mom. You've done nothing. The show has a whole lot of talking, but it doesn't achieve much with it.
On top of that, there's no personality to make up for it, and they're cliche in their characterization. Most of the main characters are interchangable cutouts now.

I don't care about realism, I just want a show that makes me care about the characters, and feel like there's some depth or nuance to them (and I'm not talking backstories made up on the spot), and make me believe the journey from point A to point B. There's a lack of internal consistency to the characters, and the entire setting. I'd also like a show that can manage drama without resorting to the lazy fallback of making everyone an evil dick to each other.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: October 15, 2017, 02:12:53 PM »
I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye on TWD or FTWD. I just treat each show as cheap entertainment. I like zombie/post apocalyptic shows no matter how 'cheesy' they are. All the points you mentioned are perfectly valid...I just don't personally get hung up on them or let it ruing the show for me. I get my fix on 'well written shows/characters' from other sources....TWD and FTWD have never been one of those sources for me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: October 17, 2017, 01:55:31 AM »
I don't expect Shakespeare or anything, there's just very little appeal here to me. I admit I'm only still watching this show because it has "The Walking Dead" in the title, and it's an excuse to spend time with family and mock it. I'm fine with cheap entertainment, but it still needs to entertain me on some level. Sharknado manages to be incredibly entertaining cheap garbage for me, so I don't think my standards are too highbrow here. :lol
Take away the name of the show, and what appeal is left? It's not zombies, it's not characters, it's not plots. I don't know.

I finally finished the finale (I watched it over two days because I can't watch that much of this in one sitting).

Part 1 starts off with Nick and friend just killing and collecting zombie heads like they're sea shells because apparently a group of zombies is no match for a druggy with a machete. No biggy. The shopping cart full of squirming heads was probably the best part of the finale though.
Alicia just appears at some place with a doctor with her friend who then just disappears entirely from the show without a mention. And what luck she ends up with the bad guy just before going back to the dam. And for some reason they add in this dumb thing of him having a tumor removed from his spine right then and there before getting up and leaving. The stupidity of this whole setup boggles the mind, and that wasn't even a necessary or relevant addition beyond having another silly comic book style quirk to a bad guy.

Then ruthless killer Madison kills a dude in cold blood because that's how she rolls now. Old dude gets shot in the face, but the show wasn't kind enough to just kill him off outright. His survival is an endless source of disappointment. If we're really lucky it might at least leave him mute.
The second episode of the double is padded out with a pointless Christmas dream just because Madison made a passing reference to it earlier. Seeing all of these characters together reminds me just how little investment I have/had in any of them.

Then Nick threatens to blow up the dam. Please, kill any other character but Nick. He's one of only two half interesting characters in the entire run of the show. :lol I'll just assume every character survives despite their cliffhanger, or else they'd probably have just done it already. But yet again it would be a human killing a human with no involvement from a zombie.

Speaking of which, besides the opening minute with Nick going zombie shopping, I don't think there was a single walker in the entire double episode. Every time I watch this show with my sister, we'll just randomly joke "hey, remember zombies?" "Nope". It's just a running gag at this point that the zombie show has no actual zombies.

As I said, I don't really know why I still watch this, so I apologize for the rants. :lol At least I fell behind so you didn't have to put up with it for every episode.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:35:00 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: October 23, 2017, 01:28:01 PM »
I forgot all about that lady with Alicia. Alicia seemed to have forgotten as well.

So Madison ends up nearly dead at the end, where did the others go?

I must say during the finale I was upset that Madison killed Troy, I actually liked him in the end with Nick and wanted to see where it would go.
I was hoping they might drive off and end up intersecting with TWD.

As for the walkers, they are a very minor character in this show.

Another year now before we see this again.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #310 on: May 09, 2018, 12:26:01 PM »
So is anyone still watching?

Honestly I don't care about any character anymore and have pretty much zero interest in the show other than watching it progress. It's sad because the last season felt prettty good and brought some interesting events, so far this season I feel I can predict pretty much the whole season.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: May 09, 2018, 12:51:43 PM »
I’m watching. I really dug last season and think this season has been pretty good. I like FTWD a lot.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: May 20, 2018, 10:31:13 PM »
This show is everything TWD should be. Another great episode.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #313 on: May 21, 2018, 08:16:40 AM »
Each week gets better and better.  It's amazing that the main show failed with the comic's greatest story (Negan/All Out War) and this one knocks it out of the park every single week.  The timeline jumping is awesome, and it's keeping me on my toes, wondering what happened and when.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: May 21, 2018, 08:39:35 AM »
Each week gets better and better.  It's amazing that the main show failed with the comic's greatest story (Negan/All Out War) and this one knocks it out of the park every single week.  The timeline jumping is awesome, and it's keeping me on my toes, wondering what happened and when.

I love the way they are filling in ‘what happened’ in the time jump with tid bits of conversation and not dedicated episodes to walk us through it. Just enough info to explain it and allow the viewer to put it together.

The conflict this season is awesome. Not an over the top sinister villian yet you can tell that group is pretty mean.

The characters they’ve introduced are well thought out and developed and they’ve improved the original cast through storytelling as well.