Author Topic: James LaBrie thinks illegal downloading is just like stealing groceries  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

It's been a while since anybody has debated illegal downloading.  Is he right?

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theaters-james-labrie-illegal-music-downloading-is-no-different-from-stealing-groceries/

I have to say I think "illegal downloading" is way overblown.  These streaming music services pay artists jackshit and make a ton of money for themselves.  I think that is more wrong than some teenager downloading a few songs that he probably wouldn't buy to begin with. 

I also think the comparison of groceries and music is ridiculous.  When someone plays a song in a room (or in a grocery store), everyone gets to hear that.  When someone eats a sandwich, only the person that is eating gets to enjoy it.  Intellectual property does not equal food.  If someone steals a loaf of bread and eats it, that bread is gone forever.  If someone steals a song and shares it, it is still available to listen to and be purchased. 

Whether you agree or disagree (and I admit this is not a clear cut issue), those are two very different and incomparable things. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: James LaBrie thinks illegal downloading is just like stealing groceries
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 09:03:30 AM »
I hear what you're saying with regards to streaming, but the difference is that they are willing to allow their catalog to be on the streaming sites. So even tho they're barely getting paid anything, apparently, they are OK with that. That's the difference.

As for the comparison to buying/stealing groceries, yeah it's not the best comparison, but I understand what he's getting at.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: James LaBrie thinks illegal downloading is just like stealing groceries
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 09:03:34 AM »
Already posted here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44219.msg1990866#msg1990866

Unless you wanted to start a debate about illegal downloading, which we obviously do not advocate here (downloading that is, not debating it), but in which case it would belong in general discussion or possibly general music discussion.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.