Author Topic: Shadow Ninja's Roulette v. Here At the End of All Things  (Read 20912 times)

Offline 425

Re: Shadow Ninja's Roulette v. An Excellent Host
« Reply #175 on: September 07, 2015, 07:05:21 PM »
You should check out that song (Meteorites), Parama. It's a pretty good prog metal song, and they're on Bandcamp.

I like really soft voices, so I have no problem with Ashe's voice on the heavy music, but I see where you're coming from, Shadow Ninja. In any case, I'm one nice round away from potentially winning... But I'm out of artists :rollin

Really, though, I am!

Or almost. I think I know what I'm sending, and while I don't really expect to win on it, it's one I know well and like, which I would prefer to just blindly sending something out of my roulette. Hopefully I'll send it tonight at the same time as I'm sending for Parama.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #176 on: September 07, 2015, 07:05:44 PM »
on the subject of Boris I tried to listen to Flood once since that seems most up my alley but... couldn't really dig it, at all, it seemed pointless

425 if you want me to listen to it, send it to me in my roulette  :P

Offline 425

« Reply #177 on: September 07, 2015, 07:06:49 PM »
:rollin true, why would I sabotage an artist I could potentially send in your roulette? I'm dumb. We'll see what I end up sending...
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #178 on: September 07, 2015, 07:17:39 PM »
yay  :lol . He sings in Japanese bro :P

I will assume you are correct. My point about the yowling still stands. :P

I like really soft voices, so I have no problem with Ashe's voice on the heavy music, but I see where you're coming from, Shadow Ninja.

It's kinda why I'm not really interested in Tesseract since they said they're not doing harsh vocals. For me, heavy music kind of demands a similar aggression in vocals. And it also seems like kind of a shame since Ashe is so good at the softer melodic stuff. Oh well.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #179 on: September 07, 2015, 07:23:11 PM »
on the subject of Boris I tried to listen to Flood once since that seems most up my alley but... couldn't really dig it, at all, it seemed pointless
Well, their discography is fucking varied (no, really), and the song I sent is closer to J-pop than anything on Flood - I might evens end a song by them in your roulette  ;D

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #180 on: September 07, 2015, 07:27:13 PM »
I'll send tomorrow. Gotta think this one through with a potential victory on the line.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #181 on: September 07, 2015, 07:46:30 PM »
Sent some pretty crazy, over-the-top avant-crap. Expecting a 3/10.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #182 on: September 07, 2015, 10:20:07 PM »
8's not bad, but I was rather confident that song would do better. :lol I guess I should have stuck with the plan and sent the first song I chose (it was going to be I'll Be Alright or Take A Walk, if you're interested). You should check it out, I think you'll like this band and you shouldn't let your lack of enthusiasm for Constant Conversations sour you on the idea.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #183 on: September 08, 2015, 02:52:35 AM »
Fleet Foxes' Mykonos is one sweet little song and 8.5 points is about what I expected (I don't know anyone who dislike this song :P). I have to start checking bands others send, some familiar names but I never really listened to them.
P.S. I sent you the most unusual song so far (it's partially because I didn't send anything weird in previous rounds :lol)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2015, 03:30:48 AM »
Last three rounds blew my chance to win, so I guess I'll go beyond my boundaries this time around.  ;D

EDIT: Sent. Enjoy your last round Shadow  :yarr
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 03:37:52 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2015, 05:21:16 AM »
You made a calculation error when adding the scores. Here, let me fix that for you.

STANDINGS

Scorpion - 51.00001
Nekov - 50.5
Tom Bombadil - 50.5
425 - 50
Bolsters - 50
Tomislav95 - 48.5
bl5150 - 46.5
Train of Naught - 46.5
Sacul - 44

In other news, sent.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2015, 06:14:05 AM »
All right! Lots of guys here say that they're not big fans of happy music and I don't understand why, there's lots of great happy music.

Scorp, this is what awaits you!

Sent
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2015, 05:58:00 PM »
OK I have all the songs now. I've got a fair bit of stuff school-wise, so results probably won't be super quick. Shouldn't be more than a week, though.

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: September 11, 2015, 04:25:00 AM »
 :tup

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: September 14, 2015, 02:35:57 PM »
:bump:

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #190 on: September 14, 2015, 02:37:56 PM »
As hosts go, you're not really being the best there is at the moment.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Re: Shadow Ninja's Roulette v. its like what am i made of time
« Reply #191 on: September 14, 2015, 02:47:03 PM »
I bust my hump for you people. Day in and day out, I bring home the fucking bacon. And what do I get for it?

Ungratefultude.

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: September 14, 2015, 03:53:45 PM »
He's the ungreatful bastard, I was just concerned that the thread had gone to the second page. So please, keep the bacon coming  :D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #193 on: September 14, 2015, 03:55:28 PM »
every day it takes you to score your roulette entries is another half-point i lower your score in my roulette rounds

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #194 on: September 14, 2015, 04:12:22 PM »
Shit bro, I'm not even expecting to get good scores at this point. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #195 on: September 14, 2015, 04:22:05 PM »
you're at least on pace to get the bonus .5 every round of the roulette  :P

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: September 16, 2015, 06:13:34 AM »
Are we there yet?

Offline 425

« Reply #197 on: September 16, 2015, 10:53:40 AM »
OK I have all the songs now. I've got a fair bit of stuff school-wise, so results probably won't be super quick. Shouldn't be more than a week, though.

One more day and it'll have been a week.

No pressure though.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #198 on: September 16, 2015, 10:55:01 AM »
[PRESSURE INTENSIFIES]

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #199 on: September 16, 2015, 11:19:25 AM »
Wonders where the fuck that pumpkin went???

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #200 on: September 16, 2015, 11:44:29 AM »
there was never a pumpkin?

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #201 on: September 16, 2015, 12:14:20 PM »
Hey Shadow, I haven't complained once about the delay, bonus points please!!!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #202 on: September 16, 2015, 12:35:43 PM »
Seriously, results may go up today. Or they may not, depending on how much of my time is consumed by homework/studying. We'll see.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Re: Shadow Ninja's Roulette v. the results ruse........
« Reply #203 on: September 16, 2015, 04:37:29 PM »
.....was a distaction.

:neverusethis:

But I'm almost finished writing them. 20 minutes at the most.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #204 on: September 16, 2015, 04:38:45 PM »
if you are even a second late...  :xbones

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #205 on: September 16, 2015, 04:52:38 PM »
I'm just sitting in the bleachers...

:corn
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Re: Shadow Ninja's Roulette v. Here At the End of All Things
« Reply #206 on: September 16, 2015, 05:00:03 PM »
Hey, sorry about taking a while, guys. For once in my tenure at school, I actually have to, like, do homework and study and stuff. Better late than never, I guess.

FINAL ROUND RESULTS

bl5150
After Forever - Evoke

OK first of all the link you sent me was 240p. I should dock you some points for that. :lol

Anyway, I’m vaguely familiar with After Forever, by way of Floor Jansen and Joost van den Broek. I’ve never listened to them extensively, though, and I think this song kind of exemplifies why. It’s a fairly solid piece of symphonic metal, the guitars have a nice tone, some keyboard touches, etc. Floor sounds good, as always. The problem is that the song doesn’t really do anything that distinguishes itself from any other symphonic metal group. Even Floor, while good, doesn’t really blow me away here, and the drastic underutilization of Joost borders on criminal. So while the song is fairly pleasant to listen to, it doesn’t really do anything to grab my attention.

6.5 points

Sacul
Ben Levin Group - Freak Machine Part 1

OK dude first of all don’t think I don’t realize that this is basically the same band as Bent Knee. :lol   But I’ve been pretty lenient on that kind of stuff so far, so no need to stop now.

This one is a bit weirder/less structured than the Bent Knee one, though. Again, I’m reminded of maudlin of the Well with the overall utilization of strange melodies and instruments, but this time the cacophony brings to mind a strange fusion of DEP and TMV. Honestly, these sections tend to straddle the line between interesting and just annoying, occasionally leaping all the way to annoying. I mean, there is definitely awesome stuff here, don’t get me wrong. The female vocalist (can’t remember her name, if I ever knew it) is still incredible. The range of things she does with her voice is nothing short of incredible. I particularly enjoy the way she uses her voice as a sort of complementary instrument during the instrumental parts.

I think, though, overall, this one is less than the sum of its parts. There’s definitely great stuff here, but it seems like they just tried to cram every single thing into a lot of these sections, which ultimately I think is to its detriment; the best parts of the song tend to be when there’s less going on (or anytime what’s-her-name is singing).

7 points

Bolsters
Emma Louise - Atlas Eyes

I kinda wonder where you find this stuff. A lot of the groups people send me I’ve at least heard of, but I’m not sure you’ve sent me anything so far that I wasn’t completely unfamiliar with.

ANYWAY this song is excellent. The music creates a very ethereal atmosphere, which really complement/is complemented by Emma’s voice. And speaking of which, she has a beautiful voice. It reminds a bit of the singer from Beach House, though that may just be the general association with the style of music. And while on that topic, I really love this sort of dream poppy, spaced out kind of music. I especially enjoy how, although attention is almost never drawn to it, all the instrumentation is fantastic. I think it takes a particular kind of talent to write great parts but keep them from overpowering everything else.

8.5 points

Tomislav95
Amesoeurs - Heurt

Yeah, I could tell from the moment the guitars came in that this was the same guy that was behind Alcest. Sacul used this method as well, let’s hope it works out better for you. :P

The song starts off really well, with those wall-of-sound guitars and the frenetic, black metal drumming. The vocals are female, which surprised me, and also have that sort of “telephone” effect on them, which… I’m not a huge fan of. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn’t. The second half of the song loses me a bit. I read somewhere that this was Neige’s “darker” project, or something to that effect. Unfortunately (and that does seem to be what he’s going for), a lot of the darker or heavier stuff here sounds like pretty generic, stock-metal stuff and doesn’t do much for me. If this song had just been the first half, it would have been incredible, but the second half detracts a bit from it for me.

7.5 points

Train of Naught
Feint - Snake Eyes

So this is subtitled [DNB], which I THINK is drums n bass? Not something I’m really familiar with, but this is not exactly the kind of sound I was expecting (in a good way). This song is actually quite atmospheric during the verses, with some nice contrast between the guitar and the electronic elements, and some pretty nice vocals. Unfortunately, as the song goes on, I am introduced to what I believe to be the “drum” in drums n bass. And uh… I don’t like it. I guess it’s part of the style, but the drum sound is just so extremely programmed-sounding, with no variation in the dynamics that it really gets on my nerves. Especially since it’s so loud in the mix that it gets in the way of everything else.

So I guess you took a risk here, and in some ways it paid off, and in others it didn’t. That’s life for you, I guess. :P

7 points

Scorpion
Amorphis - Death of a King

So Amorphis are another band that have been on the periphery of my radar for a while now, but who I’ve never really gotten into for whatever reason. So let’s see if that changes!

The beginning of the song reminds me of Home. :lol  I’m sure that instrument is used in other places as well, but that’s what it always makes me think of. Then the guitars come in, and they’re awesome, and the vocals come in and they are… less awesome. Yeah, they’re not outright bad, but this guy’s harsh style really isn’t doing much for me. Fortunately, a large part of the song is clean vocals, and they are fantastic, particularly on the chorus. The guitar solo is really good as well, even though I’m not big on guitar solos generally. The harsh vocals come back for the outro, but I actually think they work pretty well there.

So I liked this song rather more than anything else I’ve heard from Amorphis, despite not being sold on the harshes.

8 points   :P

Nekov
Dream the Electric Sleep - Listen To Me

So here we’ve got some great prog rock. I wasn’t totally sure what to think about this one at first, but it’s grown on me quite a bit. The instrumentation is very good, but not over the top. It’s not heavy enough to really be metal, but the guitars do have more of an edge to them than most prog rock I’ve heard, which I really like. The central point here, though, at least for me, is the vocalist. I tend to be a “vocals first” kind of guy, and for whatever reason, I’ve noticed that prog rock bands almost always seem to do better in that department than their metal counterparts. This guy in particular is amazing. He’s got a pretty light voice, but he still has enough power behind to not get lost in the instruments, and he just puts a huge amount of feeling into every note he sings.

9 points

Tom Bombadil
Subsignal - The Size of Light on Earth

Oh hey, while we’re talking about great vocalists in prog rock, how about this guy? He is awesome. Actually, this whole song is great. The instrumentation is really fantastic and builds a perfect atmosphere for the vocalist. Honestly, I’m kind at a loss to explain why I don’t listen to this band. I remember someone sent one of their songs in my last roulette and I thought it was great as well, but I guess I never checked them out further. Honestly, the only thing I’m not a big fan of (and I actually I think I said this about the other song as well) are the harmonies. They’re not bad, but they don’t do a whole lot for me, and especially considering how great the singer is on his own, I wish they’d just left them out.

Nonetheless! A very good song.

8.5 points

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

So, long story short. My sister listens to a group called Celtic Thunder, who did a song called Brothers in Arms, which I only realized was a cover of this song when you sent it to me. :lol   I decided not to ask for a resend because a) you already said you were out of artists and b) as I said, I’ve been pretty lenient on stuff so far. Also I like it. Anyway.

So I said I was a vocals first kind of guy. And if there is one thing that is true about this song, it’s that it is not a vocals first song. Oddly enough, though, it still really works for me. In the cover version I heard first, the vocals were very powerful, and the guy put a lot of feeling into it. I really enjoyed it, so I wasn’t quite sure about this one at first, but the quiet, almost apathetic vocal style actually works pretty well here. And as I said, the main focus here isn’t on the vocals, it’s on the guitar. And wow, this is some amazing guitar playing. I love some good shred as much as the next guy, but I think this is probably much more my preferred style. The “solos” if you can even call them that, are pretty much seamlessly integrated into the music itself, instead of just playing on top of it, and there’s a tremendous amount of emotion in the playing.

8.5 points

Parama
bluh - bluh

0 points
:P

STANDINGS

Nekov - 59.5
Scorpion - 59
Tom Bombadil - 59
425 - 58.5
Bolsters - 58.5
Tomislav95 - 56
Train of Naught - 53.5
bl5150 - 53
Sacul - 51

And the winner IS…..

NEKOV!!!!!! Congratulations!! :metal :metal :woot: :woot:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 07:24:09 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #207 on: September 16, 2015, 05:01:57 PM »
Decided not to go with a Homestuck quote for the title this time.

Also, wow those results were close. Not intentional! Thank you to everyone who participated! I got a lot of great music, and some 10 years from now I may actually buy some of it. :lol

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:59:18 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #208 on: September 16, 2015, 05:07:19 PM »
Congratulations Nekov :) ( and everyone else, we were close)
This was the furst roulette I played, had fun and I will definitely check some of the artists here :D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: September 16, 2015, 05:26:37 PM »
Well done Nekov and thanks Ninja for a fun roulette , despite my result not being worth the wait  ;D

I almost managed to finish last as predicted but Sacul was just too bad for me.  I think I managed to sneak a couple of home runs in there , so at least I didn't totally waste your time  :D 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au