Author Topic: Cable-Free Inquiry (U.S. Residents)  (Read 1531 times)

Offline cfmoran13

Cable-Free Inquiry (U.S. Residents)
« on: July 31, 2015, 06:54:09 AM »
Hi, All!  I've been looking into going cable-free for a while and am having a tough time seeing how it can be done for cheaper.  Looking for input from others in the U.S. so I can get a better idea.  Currently have FIOS - paying about $185 for cable, internet and phone.  My main concern is how much Verizon will jack up my internet costs if I remove my TV from their service.  I would like the ability to get ABC, NBC, FOX, CW, AMC, ESPN, Travel Channel.  HBO and Showtime would be nice, too.  We already have Amazon Prime.

Thanks!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Cable-Free Inquiry (U.S. Residents)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 07:07:20 AM »
When my girlfriend and I got our house last October, not getting cable was one of the easiest decisions we made. We also decided that having a home phone would be pointless (circumstantial).

Per month:
Comcast internet: 40MB download and 18MB upload - $40
Netflix - $9
Hulu - $9
HBO Now - $15
________
Total - $73

We have no contracts and no cable box fees, and everything is still in HD. The Walking Dead and Better Call Saul are the only shows we watch that we need to obtain illegally. I use my parents' login credentials when I have to provide cable provider login information on AMC's website. I also have a coaxial cable connected to my TVs with about 5" worth of protective coating stripped off the end. It acts as a digital antenna and I can pick up 14 basic channels. 

I'll be shocked if ESPN isn't offered outside of cable packages within the next 18 months.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:02:23 PM by Chino »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 07:31:14 AM »
The problem with cutting cable is live sports.  Once live sports are easily streamed then it will be much easier to ditch.  ESPN is already close to that with espn3.com and I know college sports in the Big 10 can be streamed.  But sports overall is just not there yet.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 08:11:30 AM »
Baseball is my sport and I get the MLB package through MLB.com.  My main thing with ESPN is SportsCenter for MLB and NFL highlights, I guess.  Thinking about it, I could probably do without it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 09:42:32 AM »
Baseball is my sport and I get the MLB package through MLB.com.  My main thing with ESPN is SportsCenter for MLB and NFL highlights, I guess.  Thinking about it, I could probably do without it.

You can go on ESPN's website and check out highlights.  I think thats easy to cut, its the live games that are difficult.  I guess that works if you are a baseball fan.  I like college sports (football and basketball), NFL, and NHL.  If I got individual packages for all those, it might top my current cable bill.

Speaking of which, my 2 year contract just ended with verizon fios and my bill jumped to 175, it was 125 when this started and then jumped to 150 the second year and now its 175.  I want a better deal lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 09:49:54 AM »
I don't think the cheaper streaming methods are going to last long. Once cable providers start losing enough money on cable packages, they'll double the monthly rate for internet service.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 10:32:16 AM »
I would like the ability to get ABC, NBC, FOX, CW, AMC, ESPN, Travel Channel. 
You can get the major networks for free over the air in HD with an HD antenna, as long as there are broadcast channels in your area.

ESPN you won't get without a cable or satellite provider.

I would imagine that some of the AMC or Travel Channel shows are available on Hulu (see Chino's post), otherwise they may be available on their websites.  Not sure.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 05:32:33 AM »
Get an antenna and get Netflix. Cable is a ridiculous waste of money.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 12:09:24 PM »
IF the NFL is your bag the DirecTV Sunday Ticket can now be streamed without their service. I'm considering popping for it, but for the time being I'd prefer to just go on streaming them from, uh, not so official sources. I really hate the idea of going back to Sunday football with obnoxious commercials ever few minutes.

And as a general position, I've always recommended ditching cable. It's amazing how much better TV can be when you only watch what you want instead of what happens to be on at the time.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Calvin6s

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 02:59:49 PM »
And as a general position, I've always recommended ditching cable. It's amazing how much better TV can be when you only watch what you want instead of what happens to be on at the time.
But DVRs took care of that over a decade ago.

I'm glad there is so much competition and TV web services (and I get Netflix because it is so cheap).  It allows me to negotiate my satellite bill.  Currently I pay about $60 a month and that includes two full blown DVRs and two more receivers that use one of the DVRs many tuners.  And it offers On Demand so I can download quite a few movies and complete TV show series much faster than I can watch them.

The trick with "the art of the deal" is to have options.  Every time I negotiate my bill, I go in fully understanding I may end up leaving if I don't get what I want.  And a couple times it has come to that where I said "ok, well it is a shame that after two decades of being a customer, I'm going to have to cancel."  They usually start to verify my cancellation and then eventually "well, wait.  Can I put you on hold?"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 05:59:02 PM »
I agree about the DVR.  I do get what others are saying but I love my sports live.  I just can't watch a game taped.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Calvin6s

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 06:05:17 PM »
I just can't watch a game taped.

Amen.  Nothing like purposely trying to remain ignorant of the conversations around you just so you can watch a game or match the only way  it matters ... not knowing the conclusion or even any highlights.

But I don't want to argue against a cable-free choice.  I love the competition it creates.  I'm glad people jumped ship so I can negotiate my bill down.  People that have jumped ship should be glad that people like me keep the ship afloat so their services can't then skyrocket in price.

Obviously another option is stealing, but that just hurts everything in the long run.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 07:22:04 AM »
Calvin, I need to take your tip and I've done this before, but it is time for me to call up Verizon and ask for a better deal.  My two year agreement is up and my price has shot up to 175 a month, includeds FIOS internet 20 up 20 down, the cable package that is like middle tier and also HBO, whole home HD DVR main box, and then 2 more HD DVR boxes.  That package started at 125 first year, went to 150 second year, and now at 175 :(  I do have options in my home, ATT, DirecTV, and Verizon.  I've never missed a bill so I guess it's time to give them a call and see if switching to another carrier convinces them to drop some money, because I'd rather not leave Verizon since they have the best service overall.

Calvin6s

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 07:30:45 AM »
I just barely set up Verizon (for internet only) with the 75/75 speed.  Just awesome after being stuck in an AT&T only location that charged more for 6/0.75.

The installer told me that their record keeping is bad, so just let the service run out and then sign up as a new customer with somebody else in the household.  It can even be your wife with the same last name.  I haven't had to test that yet (and this is for internet, not TV).

Interestingly, I was actually ready to leave Dish and go to Verizon FiOS TV and that is how I got my latest deal that basically cut the bill in half for 2 years (and I can even cancel at any time with no penalty).  I actually like Dish quite a bit.  And when I am bargaining with them, I let them know that.  Tell them how great they treat me and it is purely about price.  As far as I'm concerned, they just have to get in the ballpark.  The Verizon deal was really good, but deep down I was afraid of the unknown when I knew the service of Dish itself worked great.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 07:33:56 AM »
I've had them all in my life, Comcast, Dish, DirectTV, and Verizon.  Timewarner has not been offered in my homes but friends have had it and hated it across the board.  I find Verizon FIOS to be the most consistent of any of them.  Never had issues with my TV service and the internet is very consistent with the speeds.  I've had a couple issues in the last two years when the internet went out and I called them and it was fixed quickly over the phone, but that's it.  For my initial year and even 2nd year prices, I thought it was a fine deal, now though I think it might be too much.  At least give me HBO free lol

Calvin6s

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 07:35:29 AM »
The #1 thing is to accept you might end the call (or web chat) with an actual cancellation.  I tell everybody in the house "this might be it, so I don't want to hear whining if it turns out that way."

I've even gone so far as thinking I did cancel only to get a call later with the "what can we do to keep you?"

The fact that you have other options puts you in a strong position.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 07:39:45 AM »
Yea I already told my brother there is a chance we will be leaving Verizon, he isnt happy but he pays half the utilities so he should care.  Regardless it is my house and my decision.

Calvin6s

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 07:44:00 AM »
BTW, I've also seriously tried to come up with the true alternative.

- HDTV antenna
- Netflix
- Amazon Prime
- Hulu Plus
- Crackle
- Setting up a computer to become a DVR networked

BTW, I get so many free previews of HBO, Showtime, etc. that I just download via On Demand entire seasons during the free weekend.  I usually then have a month to watch it.  And I found out that if I just unhook the actual cable to the box, I can watch it past the expiration date.  Picked up US of Tara complete, Game of Thrones, Veep, Homeland and a few others just in the last month or two via free preview weekends.  HBO $/mo just shot up way too much the past 2-3 years.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 07:46:45 AM »
Nice, I actually have a lot of that set up, Netflix and DVR essentially sent up on my PC, my thing is I LOVE HBO.  I watch many of the TV shows (hardly ever watch for the movies).  I like it so much and use HBOGO that I do not mind paying and supporting this service.  I just know that the cable providers are more easy to give away this service for free and that would save me 20 bucks which is about what I am looking for when I look for a discount.

Calvin6s

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 07:56:19 AM »
What put the $20/mo in perspective for me was thinking to myself "I can more or less buy an entire season of my favorite HBO show every month for that much."

My weakness for HBO / Showtime is boxing.  10 years ago I had to have both premiums to catch every boxing match.  Now, the only matches I care about are PPV any way.  And after the Pacquiao v. Mayweather disaster, I think I'm even done with that.