Author Topic: DTF gun owners.  (Read 8488 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: DTF gun owners.
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2018, 08:43:43 AM »
If you do get pulled over with your gun in PA though, I recommend handing the officer your permit with your license and registration and calming stating that you have a concealed carry permit and have a gun in the glove box or where ever. I've been in the car with a couple buddies who got pulled over while they had their weapons in the car, and the officers have always been fine with that approach.

Yep. I've been pulled over three times with my weapon on me. Each time I've kept my hands at 10/2 and told the Officer I had a conceal carry permit and had my weapon on me. In all three instances they thanked me for telling them and pretty much dropped it after that.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2018, 09:02:07 AM »
I got pulled over one time with a weapon in the car. I eventually mentioned it when the cop kept pestering me about the various stuff in my car, but he really didn't care about that. He was laser focused on drug interdiction, so if he wasn't going to seize my car and belongings he didn't care what else might have been going on.

My general rule is that my lawful business doesn't concern Johnny. If I've got a weapon in my car he won't see it and won't need to know about it. If he asks me to step out of the car for some reason I'll absolutely bring it to his attention because then it does concern him. While we are a permit state the Texas version of peaceable journey allows for carrying to, from, and within your car without one, so it's not really necessary.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2018, 09:10:52 AM »
Wow, it blows my mind that conceal carry permits are so easy to get in a few states.  That's just dumb.  Here in CA, I think the process is TOO strict (clarification--the way the rules are written, they're fine; I only have a problem with how they are applied in a lot of counties).  But I'm dumbfounded that there is virtually no process in apparently at least a few states.

The process I went through in PA - Went to the court house office that handles concealed carry permits, filled out a form (which included authorization for background check and references), waited for like 15 minutes, went into an office, answered a few basic questions, got my picture taken, and was handed my permit.

Left about 30 minutes after I arrived. I felt like I had just gotten away with something. That said, this was probably 7 years ago (or more) so maybe the process has changed and is more detailed now.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2018, 09:12:17 AM »
Wow, it blows my mind that conceal carry permits are so easy to get in a few states.  That's just dumb.  Here in CA, I think the process is TOO strict (clarification--the way the rules are written, they're fine; I only have a problem with how they are applied in a lot of counties).  But I'm dumbfounded that there is virtually no process in apparently at least a few states.

The process I went through in PA - Went to the court house office that handles concealed carry permits, filled out a form (which included authorization for background check and references), waited for like 15 minutes, went into an office, answered a few basic questions, got my picture taken, and was handed my permit.

Left about 30 minutes after I arrived. I felt like I had just gotten away with something. That said, this was probably 7 years ago (or more) so maybe the process has changed and is more detailed now.

Wow.  Even just buying a gun here is MUCH more involved than that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2018, 09:47:36 AM »
My general rule is that my lawful business doesn't concern Johnny. If I've got a weapon in my car he won't see it and won't need to know about it. If he asks me to step out of the car for some reason I'll absolutely bring it to his attention because then it does concern him. While we are a permit state the Texas version of peaceable journey allows for carrying to, from, and within your car without one, so it's not really necessary.

With Missouri's CCW being tied into the Department of Motor Vehicles, I know that once a Cop gets back to his car and runs my license he'll see that I have a CCW. So, I just tell him right off the bat so that he doesn't get to his car and say to himself...."Why didn't he tell me about this...is he trying to hide something?" I just get it out of the way so there is no confusion.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2018, 09:50:37 AM »

With Missouri's CCW being tied into the Department of Motor Vehicles, I know that once a Cop gets back to his car and runs my license he'll see that I have a CCW. So, I just tell him right off the bat so that he doesn't get to his car and say to himself...."Why didn't he tell me about this...is he trying to hide something?" I just get it out of the way so there is no confusion.

Just out of curiosity, and not in any way implying that I think there is necessarily a right or wrong thing to do here:  Do you ONLY say, "By the way, officer, I have my CCW?"  Or do you say something like, "Just so you know, I have my CCW, and my weapon is stowed in ________?" or "Just so you know, I have my CCW, but am not currently carrying?"  Or something like that?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2018, 11:02:07 AM »

Just out of curiosity, and not in any way implying that I think there is necessarily a right or wrong thing to do here:  Do you ONLY say, "By the way, officer, I have my CCW?"  Or do you say something like, "Just so you know, I have my CCW, and my weapon is stowed in ________?" or "Just so you know, I have my CCW, but am not currently carrying?"  Or something like that?

I don’t remember verbatim but it was along the lines of (while hands still on wheel) “Just so you know Officer I have a conceal carry permit and I do have my weapon on me. It’s on my right hip”.....one time it was in my console so I told him that location.

And as I said....all three times they basically said Thanks for letting me know and never batted an eye.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2018, 09:48:19 AM »
Took the AR-15 to the range for the first time today. Man... I am shocked how little recoil it had and damn it is crazy accurate, even at long distance. I am very impressed.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2018, 09:51:14 AM »
Took the AR-15 to the range for the first time today. Man... I am shocked how little recoil it had and damn it is crazy accurate, even at long distance. I am very impressed.

They are fun to shoot for sure. Can get REAL expensive  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2018, 10:04:18 AM »

Yeah, it's basically a pea-shooter.  I think that's why it is so easy for the military to take your average 18-year old who has never fired a rifle before, and turn him into a marksman after a few weeks of training. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2018, 10:28:37 AM »
Oh definitely. When I went to pull the trigger for the first time, I was expecting some huge explosion or something, but no, it was super subtle.

The only thing I would like to modify is put some better sights on it. The stock metal sights were ok, but I would love to put a glass scope sight on it.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2018, 10:53:32 AM »
well...chiming in from Canada here...where we make California gun laws look like Christmas.

before I add anything further - I'll say this is the best gun conversation I've read EVER...and shock of shocks it's by mostly gun owners.

My son and I went to the range. A guy at the office (not a cop) has a large collection of guns, mostly restricted and he has permits for them and some interesting grandfathered permits. He brought a model of a glock I'm not sure which model . A .38 special....big long barrel looked like something Clint Eastwood would shoot (easily the funnest of the three) and an AR with scope and laser sight...how easy did that make things.

We had a blast. Very safe at the range. There's a range safety officer there, he clears all weapons before we can go to inspect targets, he gave everyone there a pre-shoot pep talk about 5 minutes long..basic safety stuff.

some points:
-shooting straight with a hand gun is tricky. I don't know our distance but I was hitting the body but usually not where I thought it would go. Even head shots were tough.
-glocks have no safety......eeek.
-there was a competition shooter there and he was stooopid good.
-Hollywood mybuster alert - shooting with one hand like in the movies is VERY hard.
-the AR I shot is completely disabled in Canada. The mag can't hold more than 5 rounds (there's a bolt welded in the magazine preventing it) it's single shot. Not even semi-auto. In theory it shouldn't be a restricted weapon except for it's looks. There are much more powerful hunting rifles out there.

Finally when we were done - my son (15) asked what the range safety officers thought of American's and their gun culture. He was quite positive. "99% of them know MORE than enough to own, carry, conceal, clean, shoot, and be around guns. In some states it's almost like us and hockey - we're born wearing skates/holding sticks. They're fathers and mothers take them out and get them shooting young. How to hold, care for, and be safe with firearms. It's the ease at which that misguided 1% can get their hands on them that is the concern. And, that same 1% in Canada or any other country will find a way to get their hands on one"

it was an interesting take.
Please carry on.
great gun talk.
He almost convinced me to take the course. It's 350$ here and a full weekend 8hrs Sat and Sun, for the restricted firearms permit. In class, and range.

ytse
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2018, 11:33:31 AM »
-Hollywood mybuster alert - shooting with one hand like in the movies is VERY hard.

Don't even get me started; those a-holes that hold the gun sideways, or even slightly upside down.... hey dude, make sure you check the doorframe and back wall before you go, because that's where your bullets are going to be.    And the people that use the middle finger as a trigger finger (not great, but not the worst thing in the world) but then extend their index finger along the barrel of the gun... physics, people!   Basic thermodynamics!   That barrel is going to get hot at some point!  And the people that squeeze the trigger like they're pounding a PS3 game controller...  breathe, even squeezes, and you'll have as many bullets, accurately fired, as you will mashing the controls like a noob. 

I get it; it's a dash of realism for a gang member or kid who doesn't and wouldn't know better, but from cops who would presumably be trained to operate their firearm?  Inexcusable in my book.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2018, 11:48:32 AM »
 the grip - well that was my question to our owner (my son and I had never fired anything ever)
I had heard stories of new recruits at the academy getting pinched by the slide up around their thumb

I didn't want that to happen.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2018, 03:26:51 PM »
I have a fireproof safe which is where I store my Baretta.  Is it ok to store ammunition in there as well? Is it too dry in there? Are there any issues storing ammo in a fireproof safe?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2018, 06:09:17 AM »
So I really like my Beretta 92FS, but its not really working out as well for concealed carry as I was originally hoping. My friend got to try it out and loves it, so I was thinking about selling it to him and trying a glock 19 instead. Smaller, but not super small.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 01:51:31 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2018, 10:03:26 AM »
So I really like my Beretta 92FS, but its not really working out as well for concealed carry as I was originally hoping. My friend got to try it out and loves it, so I was thinking about selling it to him and trying a glock 19 instead. Smaller, but not super small.

Well.....  I went thru the Glock 17 or 19 debate.  I ended up getting the 19 because it was smaller, but I thought not too small.  I was wrong.  when at the range I really wish the grip wasn't so short.  If I had it to do over again I would take the 17 over the 19.  I'm a pretty small guy with average sized hands.

The only reason I would recommend the 19 over the 17 would be if this was going to be a primary CCW .

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2018, 05:44:16 PM »
Finally got a chance to Zero my new red dot sight on the AR today. It works incredible

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2019, 01:50:06 PM »
So I finally got around to getting a Glock 19

I am very impressed with this thing. Put 100 rounds through it right out of the box and it performed flawlessly, in comparison to my Beretta that jammed multiple times the first time I shot it.

I love the Glock's simplicity. The built in trigger safety works fantastically and this is actually small enough where I can concealed carry comfortably, unlike my Beretta where it just wasn't happening.

Overall, I am very happy with it.