Author Topic: DTF gun owners.  (Read 8487 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
DTF gun owners.
« on: July 30, 2015, 01:08:03 PM »
Please don't turn this into a political debate.

I just came across this article one CNN Money.

https://money.cnn.com/2015/07/30/news/companies/gun-silencer-sales-up/index.html?iid=SF_LN

The number of registered silencers surged 38% from last year to 792,282 in February 2015, according to the most recent figures from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. There were 571,750 licenses in March 2014.

"It's getting to be more mainstream," said Josh Waldron, CEO of SilencerCo, which makes and sells silencers.
Waldron said his company has nearly doubled its workforce in the past year to 215 employees and also added more machinery as it tries to work through a backlog of orders.

I'm not trolling when I ask this. As someone whose looking at revolvers, I am genuinely curious. Why would someone buy a silencer? I can understand if you're a hunter and you don't want to scare game away, but is a silencer effective enough to prevent that? If it's for a home defense weapon (or I guess defense weapon in general), why spend the money on one? It seems like a complete waste of money to me. If there is an intruder or a threat, isn't the objective at that point to stop them? Why does the decibel level of the gun matter? I could see why people living near gun ranges would like gun owners to have silencers, but other than that, I can't really think of anything.

Educate me.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: DTF gun owners.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 01:13:18 PM »
I own (3) Hanguns, (2) shot guns and a Rifle. I personally don't see the need for a silencer at all. I'm not looking to take a stealth shot at anyone or anything. If I'm shooting my handgun(s) it's either target practice or I've been forced to use it in my home or when I'm conceal carrying...either of which I don't care if it's 'quiet'. Shooting my rifle will either be target practice or at a deer and I could care less if any other deer hang around after I shoot the first one.

What some people (who may not be in to guns) have to realize is that gun owners/collectors are no different to any other collector or sportsman. A fisherman has multiple poles...varying lures, someone who loves cars may have two or three or dozens of varying spec's. I guess my point is a silencer could just be an accessory like any other collector would obtain...just to have it to say you have it. I can't really see any practical use for it other than it being a novelty.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 01:29:40 PM »
Yup. It's the novelty of it. That said, it used to be common to go out shooting and not take along hearing protection, so I can certainly see how people of that mindset might want some dBs knocked off of it. I doubt it's the case, but if it does quiet it enough to the point that hearing damage isn't a concern, then more power to you.

Also, while nobody who's forced to shoot at an intruder is going to take the time to put on his suppressor, I'd think that it would actually be an asset if it were already installed. I agree with GMD that it's the least of one's concerns in that situation, but at the same time if I had to shoot an intruder I'd just as soon not have to spend the next 2 days with a deafening ringing in my ears.

In Die Hard 3, after shooting all of the fake cops in the elevator John McClain would have spent he last hour of the movie just saying "huh? What? Yeah, quarter past 3."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 01:53:12 PM »
What's the downside to them? Making the gun unwieldy? Or does it also affect the accuracy of the gun?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 01:54:37 PM »
What's the downside to them? Making the gun unwieldy? Or does it also affect the accuracy of the gun?

According to Grand Theft Auto V, they negative effect accuracy and distance.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 01:59:18 PM »

I've never fired a weapon with one installed....but I think those are two good assumptions. Being that hanguns are designed with certain balance points I'd bet the additional length of the silencer would throw the balance off. And, being that the barrels are designed with a certain boring to affect the spin of the bullet...that extra length and (most likely) change of bore type would affect accuracy as well.

I think it'd be neat to fired some rounds off with one but I don't see me ever wanting to purchase one. Maybe the influx in sales is paranoia that they aren't going to be available much longer?

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 02:03:22 PM »
I think it'd be neat to fired some rounds off with one but I don't see me ever wanting to purchase one. Maybe the influx in sales is paranoia that they aren't going to be available much longer?

Or martial law is coming and war is on the horizon  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 02:14:16 PM »

Or martial law is coming and war is on the horizon  :lol

I'll just use a flash light housing like Rick Grimes!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 02:32:45 PM »
If I owned a gun and if I went to shooting ranges, I think using a silencer would be cool.  But would I buy one?  I haven't bought a gun yet although I think about getting one more often than I used to.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 03:28:10 PM »
Formerly a registered gun owner, who let his license lapse and who won't have weapons in the house while there are children under the age of 18...

Silencers do affect the balance of the gun, which can be overcome by practice, and as El Barto said, it is an advantage for those that use their weapons often at ranges.   I think it is subject to the specific circumstances as to the effect on accuracy:  generally, a longer barrel will improve accuracy if the barrel is uniform; having the silencer attached after the fact introduces manufacturing error which probably leads to lesser accuracy.   They affect distance (and therefore long range accuracy) by slowing down the bullet as it leaves the barrel (due to increased friction). 

For me, who would only own for home protection (I am not a hunter) I would not purchase a silencer.  If someone is in my house and I am taking a shot at them, I either want to hit them, or, if I miss, I want them stunned and petrified at the absolute deafening crescendo of my weapon, waiting for that next explosion.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 03:37:11 PM »
Since the suppressor is larger than the barrel of the gun, I'm not sure why it would actually effect accuracy. It wouldn't change the spin (I don't think) since the bullet shouldn't come into contact with any part of the suppressor. There would be a difference in the air pressure around it, but since the gas would be expanding away from the projectile in either case I don't know as that would have any effect.

If you're a hunter I could see how it might be nice to have. Since you're going to spend the better part of your time not shooting at anything, it'd be annoying to have to wear ear protection all day long. From what I can tell a good suppressor actually can knock the dBs down to a reasonable level.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 05:01:30 PM »
"Hitman" as a profession is growing.  It's the only logical conclusion.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cable

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 08:37:56 PM »
Disclosure- a non gun owner, and I don't intend on being one. But respect the rights and laws.

I am still interested in gun technology and what not. That said, I have watched enough videos on people using "silencers", some home brew. As El Barto said, and Stadler touched upon, they reduce dBs/loudness primarily. I think some might reduce flash or smoke, but not sure. Check them out on the uTubes. Guys do plenty of before and afters. The actual term has accurately been suppressor, as nothing now will "silence" a gun.

Unfortunately movies has made them seem awesome, and relatively small. To get a true silencer sound ala movies, I reckon the silencer with current tech would double the size of the gun at the least. I think a good analogy is using an attenuator or wattage selection on a tube instrument amplifier. It will slice off some dBs, but not enough to make it bedroom level quiet. Or in the case of guns, quiet enough to not hear it in a building.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:45:16 PM by CableX »
---

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 09:41:39 PM »
Seems a good silencer can actually reduce the dBs to a point that won't freak your ears out on the range. Last time I checked Youtube videos I was unimpressed. Seen several now that did impress me. Here's FPSRussia with a .45 getting pretty impressive results. Like he correctly said, you're not going to kill the guards downstairs while the governor is upstairs sleeping, but you could certainly spend a day plinking without going home deaf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dYX-h-5HDQ
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 10:49:22 PM »
Like he correctly said, you're not going to kill the guards downstairs while the governor is upstairs sleeping, but you could certainly spend a day plinking without going home deaf.

Until Mythbusters tested it a couple of years ago, I always thought silencers were just like the movies, where you shoot someone silently in the night and it just makes that tiny "pew" noise they always use. :lol

WHAT ELSE HAVE THE MOVIES LIED ABOUT?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 11:19:15 PM »

That's 50% of all Mythbusters episodes, right there.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 05:27:01 AM »
Seems a good silencer can actually reduce the dBs to a point that won't freak your ears out on the range. Last time I checked Youtube videos I was unimpressed. Seen several now that did impress me. Here's FPSRussia with a .45 getting pretty impressive results. Like he correctly said, you're not going to kill the guards downstairs while the governor is upstairs sleeping, but you could certainly spend a day plinking without going home deaf.

I dont watch FPSrussia enough, that is really awesome.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 05:49:04 AM »

I dont watch FPSrussia enough, that is really awesome.

FPS Russia is my third favorite Youtube person.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 06:53:07 AM »
Like he correctly said, you're not going to kill the guards downstairs while the governor is upstairs sleeping, but you could certainly spend a day plinking without going home deaf.

Until Mythbusters tested it a couple of years ago, I always thought silencers were just like the movies, where you shoot someone silently in the night and it just makes that tiny "pew" noise they always use. :lol

Surely professional assassins and covert government spies have access to technology the average Texan wouldn't.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 06:58:21 AM »

Surely professional assassins and covert government spies have access to technology the average Texan wouldn't.

But so should the Mythbusters!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 07:39:13 AM »

You don't know many Texans, do you?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 12:25:04 AM »
If it did zero harm to my gun sure!  It would be kind of cool, plus the reduced noise and hearing protection aspect.  But I live in Cali, it's all a pipe dream... :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 06:30:32 AM »
I am thinking about getting my first one. After reviewing a bunch of different ones, The Glock 19 seems to have caught my eye. Its either that or a beretta M9, but I think I might settle on the Glock

Anyone have any experience with either of them?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 06:48:05 AM »
If I owned a gun and if I went to shooting ranges, I think using a silencer would be cool.  But would I buy one?  I haven't bought a gun yet although I think about getting one more often than I used to.

Wow I must of foresaw my future as last year I did go to a shooting range for the first time and shot a gun that had a silencer, which was fun.  And I still don't own a gun nor feel the need to atm.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 08:37:52 AM »

According to Grand Theft Auto V, they negative effect accuracy and distance.

According to real life, they negatively affect the weight and balance of the weapon, which in turn COULD affect the accuracy and distance; you have to "zero out", or calibrate, the weapon with the silencer.   They also aren't very effective; it's not like on TV where the gun goes "spit, spit".  It's still very loud (in some cases, still in the range to damage your hearing).   They can be very expensive, they need their own permit in most jurisdictions, and they get HOT.   Think of a muffler.   My dad and brother are collectors, and while I have my permit, I don't own a weapon (haven't since I had my daughter; I still have young kids in the house, so even though I grew up with them in the house - and knew DAMN WELL not to touch them - I don't want to take the chance). 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 09:07:02 AM »
I am thinking about getting my first one. After reviewing a bunch of different ones, The Glock 19 seems to have caught my eye. Its either that or a beretta M9, but I think I might settle on the Glock

I've never fired the Beretta but I have fired the Glock 19. As with all glocks that I've fired it was 'fun' to shoot. The trigger pull isn't bad at all....and the grip is easy and comfortable. Good thing about the 19 is that if you wanted you could use it as a Conceal Weapon as it's a tad smaller than the typical models. Plus, it's a glock. It's made to be fired...a lot...and is very durable. Great gun to have for outdoor type activities like camping or carrying with you while you hunt as it's tough to 'hurt'.

I don't know anything about the Beretta. If it were me and I had a choice I'd probably go Glock but honestly, if you're considering it you should find a Shooting Range/store that has them both to where you can fire each one and see how it feels to you. Everyone is different.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 09:54:20 AM »

One is hammerless and the other is not. That makes it a matter of personal preference. I opted for a SigPRO and a big part of the decision is that I wanted the tactile/visual cues of having a hammer in place. Others specifically do not want the hammer exposed.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2018, 09:31:12 AM »
Well I just bought my first ever handgun.

I went with the Beretta 92FS. I got to try my buddies out over the weekend at the range and it was great. Felt very comfortable and felt like a good fit overall, so I decided to get one myself.

Looking forward to taking it to the range.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2018, 07:16:15 AM »

That's 50% of all Mythbusters episodes, right there.

Well its called "Mythbusters" not "Hey, movies are in fact pretty accurate most of the time"
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2018, 11:50:06 AM »
Anyone else do target shooting?

I just took my new Beretta to range for the first time the other day and I had a ton of fun. Overall, I was really happy with how the 92FS performed. The recoil wasn't bad at all and this thing was very accurate. I tried lots of different distances and was able to still hit at least one part of the target. My only issue was some jamming at first, but I really feel it was more a limp wrist thing and getting used to the gun, and perhaps even some break in. But it got better as I fired more rounds.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2018, 12:01:44 PM »
Anyone else do target shooting?

I just took my new Beretta to range for the first time the other day and I had a ton of fun. Overall, I was really happy with how the 92FS performed. The recoil wasn't bad at all and this thing was very accurate. I tried lots of different distances and was able to still hit at least one part of the target. My only issue was some jamming at first, but I really feel it was more a limp wrist thing and getting used to the gun, and perhaps even some break in. But it got better as I fired more rounds.
I'm not generally in a position to drop money on a trip to the range. Range fees aren't cheap, and ammo isn't either. It used to be that we could drive an hour and shoot all day for free on federal land. Texas has commandeered it all now, so there isn't any more free land to shoot on.

If you were shooting with cheap Russian ammo from Walmart that might lead to some of your jamming trouble. I think I've had some trouble with Academy's cheapo ammunition, as well.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2018, 12:32:28 PM »
It was these Remingtons:

To your knowledge, are these pretty decent? They had a whole bunch of different types of ammo brands, maybe I'll try a different brand next time.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2018, 12:39:05 PM »
I have no idea if they're any good. I do know that Remington isn't going to sell ammo that'll jam your weapon. I'm talking about really cheap, dirty ammo from manufacturers you've never heard of. If you can afford those they should be fine to practice with.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2018, 12:58:59 PM »
Ok cool. I'm just gonna continue to practice and see if I can cut down on the jammin issue. My friend said his is super reliable, so I think its an issue I can overcome.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2018, 03:50:07 PM »
What's happening when it jams?
E.F. Benson