Author Topic: Time for a Change  (Read 1025 times)

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Time for a Change
« on: March 18, 2019, 08:55:56 PM »
Well, after years, and years of inactivity, I started today at the gym again. (I said again because a couple of months ago I subscribed to the nearest gym and paid in advance for one year of training and never actually went, well 1 or 2 times only).

I am fortunate enough to be able to work from home for a Canadian based company and my working hours allow me to have free time (many Peruvians can’t say that as here the working hours are in most cases 10 to 12 hours a day) so, I decided that I need a change in my lifestyle, as working from home has induced me to be inactive most of the day. While I was at the university in my country I was an athlete and played baseball, softball and basketball.

Today, I was doing some shopping at the mall and got a flyer, the offer was really good and I subscribed again. I just came back from first day. 15 minutes running, 15 minutes at the elliptical, 15 minutes at the bicycle and 2 different series of 4 repetitions of abs.
I will try to keep this thread as a logbook. For the record, I am 41 years old and I'm 171 cms (5'.6'') 81 kg (178.5 lbs) and I am looking forward to gain some volume while gaining more resistance on my cardio.

Feel free to post about your performance if you feel like it. Tomorrow I will post a pic of me now, and see how much I change in a year.

:metal

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
Re: Time for a Change
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 05:48:37 PM »
You just need to make going a part of your routine. You're not alone...most guys our age (I'm staring at 40 myself) have less time and more obligations...oh, and that whole aging thing isn't exactly helping things either.

I talked to the guy who owns my gym once about his membership: he told me that out of the 550 or so people who pay monthly, only ten percent show up more than six times a year. That's insane! But it's what you said; people buy the membership, go for a few weeks, and then, for whatever reason, stop.

You just need to go. It's what I tell everyone. You gotta start somewhere, but getting your ass to the gym every single day is a good place to start. Just build it in to your routine. You got time to shower once a day? You got time to shit once a day? Bam...there's your twenty minutes at the gym.

Best of luck man!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 07:29:10 PM »
You just need to make going a part of your routine. You're not alone...most guys our age (I'm staring at 40 myself) have less time and more obligations...oh, and that whole aging thing isn't exactly helping things either.

I talked to the guy who owns my gym once about his membership: he told me that out of the 550 or so people who pay monthly, only ten percent show up more than six times a year. That's insane! But it's what you said; people buy the membership, go for a few weeks, and then, for whatever reason, stop.

You just need to go. It's what I tell everyone. You gotta start somewhere, but getting your ass to the gym every single day is a good place to start. Just build it in to your routine. You got time to shower once a day? You got time to shit once a day? Bam...there's your twenty minutes at the gym.

Best of luck man!

Thanks man, I really appreciate your words.

Today I went again (how awesome is that? lol) 15 minutes cardio and then up to chest press, curl, legs etc. What I like the most about this experience is that I am actually moving my arse to the Gym, it's been years of inactivity and I am commited on pushing my mental boundaries. I have started slow (not much weigh) just to get some condition, I feel like Neo (The Matrix) "why my eyes hurt?" "because you have never used them" well the same applies for the rest of my body lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4gfSiRkjlY

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 08:08:04 PM »
It’s hard to break out off of old habits and routines. I suffered a knee injury a few years ago and haven’t been able to get back into a routine since I’m limited to what I can do. Since the injury I put up 40 lbs (went from 190 to 230, but I’m 6,2’ so it’s not as noticeable), but recently started going to the gym and doing spin class and I’m down 15 (LETS DO IT!).

Keep it up man, once you start seeing a change in a few weeks you should feel motivated to continue.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 08:19:18 AM »
It’s hard to break out off of old habits and routines. I suffered a knee injury a few years ago and haven’t been able to get back into a routine since I’m limited to what I can do. Since the injury I put up 40 lbs (went from 190 to 230, but I’m 6,2’ so it’s not as noticeable), but recently started going to the gym and doing spin class and I’m down 15 (LETS DO IT!).

Keep it up man, once you start seeing a change in a few weeks you should feel motivated to continue.

Yeah, let's do it!!!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 12:24:37 PM »
Good work!  I have a gym membership for myself, the wife and grandkids and I am the only one that uses the membership.  While my wife was recovering from knee replacement surgery, I had a hard time going to the YMCA due to being the caregiver.  During this time, I bought an Echelon spin bike, pay a monthly fee and take online spin classes(live or on demand) in addition the Y membership.  I recommend the spin bike classes at home.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 08:05:49 PM »
3rd day in and I already feel like a monster LOL no, I am kidding.
Short circuits with different level of intesity, (bycicle, ropes, heavy balls, steps and more) I am glad I am alive after all of that. I must say that the trainer was really supportive and appreciate it, if it wasn't for him I wouldn't have finished.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 10:46:38 AM »
Despite my body really hurting from top to bottom I went again yesterday for another session of 45 minutes of Cardio and after that abd, raising legs, crunch etc. Man I am exhausted

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 07:57:58 PM »
Still going, still hurting, still alive, still decided