Author Topic: The Grand Tour thread (merged)  (Read 4952 times)

Offline krands85

Re: The Grand Tour thread (merged)
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2016, 09:38:21 AM »
Enjoyed the first episode, the second however was terrible.

I've seen a lot of hate on the second episode. If all you want is car segments, I get it.  I was laughing my ass off though. I thought it was really funny. Not saying this to you in particular, but just something I've noticed online in general, is that isn't a Top Gear 2.0. This is an American comedy show with three actors that were at one time on a British motoring show. I think segments like this might be needed simply to avoid getting sued by the BBC.

One thing I will say though, I really hate the American. I get why he's there, but the jokes are killing that entire segment. He could drop one while waiting to take off and it could be his signature thing, but I can so do without the ones while he's making laps. He managed to make a pickup truck joke and a deer joke over the span of like 6 seconds. As an American, I absolutely love British people that shit on us, but it's typically because it's witty and subtle, yet more clever than anything you'll see on American TV. This character is like pouring all the most well known and beaten to death stereotypes about America into a funnel and telling us to chug. I could also do without the celebrity deaths. Those are already boring.

I am optimistic though. This was a huge undertaking for Amazon, and they'll learn a lot through feedback as the season goes on. In time, this will be great.

Side note. Amazon added seasons 2-13 of British Top Gear to Prime. I've been watching some of that. Season 2 is pretty cringe worthy at times.

Yeah I do get your point Top Gear has always been scripted mostly for comic reasons.  But for me generally it's had a purpose - whether it be a race, a tour, a build or a experiment.   The SAS training thing was just a sketch nothing more, and not a very interesting or funny one (for me) - it dragged on, repeating the same jokes over and over.

I agree with The American - obvious stereotype, and I also hope they drop the celebrity death skit too.
Agreed. The new track doesn't seem very interesting either, sadly.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2016, 10:03:18 AM »
I agree with The American - obvious stereotype, and I also hope they drop the celebrity death skit too.

Supposedly the celebrity death skits are a response to the BBC not wanting/allowing them to do star in a car and interview segments.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2016, 05:43:22 AM »
Just watched episode.  Much, much better, the tour round Italy was classic Top Gear - just the right balance of silliness.  Still could do without the celebrity death (Pegg vs Seagul's).

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2017, 07:52:27 AM »
First episode of Season 2 is up on Amazon and I thought it was good. Looks like they've done away with The American as well as Celebrity Brain Crash.

I really like the idea of having two similar celebrities on at the same time and having them compete for times around their new track. Though, part of me wishes they made them race head to head rather than one at a time.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2017, 12:59:25 PM »
Just catching up now. This episode is miles ahead of last season. It seems like they worked out the kinks from the first season.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2019, 11:08:12 AM »
Season 3 starts next week!

Was reading yesterday that Amazon extended the show beyond the initial 3 year contract. However, the format is changing in season 4. They are ditching the tent, the talking segments, and the celebrity stuff. Season 4 will be nothing but adventuring as a trio. 

I'm actually fine with dumping the celebrity segment, but I rather liked some of the other stuff. I used to really enjoy the pieces of just one of the guys reviewing something.