Author Topic: The Grand Tour thread (merged)  (Read 4951 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
The Grand Tour thread (merged)
« on: July 30, 2015, 07:24:06 AM »
https://money.cnn.com/2015/07/30/media/amazon-top-gear-clarkson/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

The former hosts of global TV hit "Top Gear" -- Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May -- have signed up to present a new car show on Amazon

The show will be produced by the trio's former producer Andy Wilman, who quit the long running series after the BBC decided to get rid of Clarkson.
Amazon said the first show will go into production shortly and will air on Amazon Prime in 2016.

I did not expect this out of Amazon. I thought Netflix was going to score them for sure.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Amazon to make show with Top Gear Trio
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 08:57:07 AM »
Interesting.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 10:13:31 AM »
I really enjoyed the Top Gear episodes when they would go somewhere, like the one where they had to travel the length of Vietnam or across the Andes. I hope there'll be more of that sort of content in this series.

...my name is Araragi.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 10:23:57 AM »
I really enjoyed the Top Gear episodes when they would go somewhere, like the one where they had to travel the length of Vietnam or across the Andes. I hope there'll be more of that sort of content in this series.

I'm going to guess the first season will be somewhat reserved. Some of those multi-day/multi-week trips must cost a fortune to produce. If the pilot season goes well for Amazon, they'll probably up the shows budget.

I can't imagine landing these three guys and that producer was cheap. I'm sure there were several production companies looking to get their ink on paper.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 04:41:32 PM »

I'm going to guess the first season will be somewhat reserved. Some of those multi-day/multi-week trips must cost a fortune to produce. If the pilot season goes well for Amazon, they'll probably up the shows budget.

I can't imagine landing these three guys and that producer was cheap. I'm sure there were several production companies looking to get their ink on paper.
Literally everyone will simply consider this to basically be the continuation of Top Gear, and so it's a guaranteed money-maker.

I'm also a little surprised that it's Amazon rather than Netflix, but that's pretty cool.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 04:58:31 PM »
New Top Gear will be interesting. Probably won't be as funny or scripted and will go back to being actually about cars and less about comedy and challenges.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 11:29:41 PM »
I thought that producer was the reason Jeremy was let go in the first place.   Didn't this whole thing go down where Jeremy punched the guy?  And they never had a good working relationship?   

I'm not surprised that someone got the three hosts together....I AM surprised that they teamed them back up with the producer that they had so much issues with (supposedly).
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 01:50:13 AM »
I thought that producer was the reason Jeremy was let go in the first place.   Didn't this whole thing go down where Jeremy punched the guy?  And they never had a good working relationship?   

I'm not surprised that someone got the three hosts together....I AM surprised that they teamed them back up with the producer that they had so much issues with (supposedly).

I thought I read somewhere that Clarkson punched someone from the BBC's higher-ups. Not Wilman himself.

Edit: Looked at it, a little further.  It was Oisin Tymon, another producer.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 10:55:33 AM »
Wilman was the overall producer for the show who basically designed it all along with the trio. He and Clarkson are really good friends, so no he didn't punch him. :lol

He got into the 'fracas' with Oisin Tymon who was a producer for individual episodes/segments.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 12:10:07 PM »
Really looking forward to this!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 01:19:44 PM »
So The Grand Tour is the new name for their Amazon show.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b/?node=10257739031
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 01:28:13 PM »
With that goatee - hammond could not look more like a bellend.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 01:31:10 PM »
I wish they'd drop the "The" at the beginning of the title.

I'm also hoping Amazon makes a driver in an all black racing suit and calls him The Stag.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 01:32:02 PM »
They'll probably come up with a new character.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 02:55:07 PM »
With that goatee - hammond could not look more like a bellend.

Snigger. :lol Not a fan then?

It sounds like the new show will be a series of Top Gear Specials, just with a bigger budget. Which is fine.

I'm interested to see how the new BBC Top Gear will distinguish itself from this show.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 02:38:51 AM »
Haven't seen it myself but it seems like the reception for the  new Top Gear is not very good. A blunt copy of the original concept from Chris Evans acting like Clarkson and so on is what alot of people are saying. The chemistry between Clarkson, May and Hammond is what made the concept work so great, how could they think that basically only replacing the original hosts of the show would be a great idea.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 03:00:15 AM »

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 05:57:39 AM »
Saw that earlier as well. So excited. It looks like, based on this trailer, they are doing away with the entire Top Gear format and just sticking to the adventuring across great distances with the Trio. That explains why the budget for this so astronomical. That being said, while I really didn't care about the Star in the Reasonably Priced Car segments, I did like the one off reviews we'd get with the Stig driving around the track. Regardless, I'm sure I'll watch every episode of this multiple times.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2016, 10:30:38 AM »
Hopefully the new actual Top Gear will be a bit better without Chris SHOUTING Evans and you'll have the best of both.

I actually thought the last series was alright except for Chris and i Loved Matt Le Blanc .

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 02:58:14 AM »
The sheer beauty and quality of the shots featured in the trailer was amazing.
Just a little over a month to go. Can't wait!

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2016, 04:55:27 AM »
One thing I always liked about the old show was the cinematography and action shots.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2016, 02:04:32 PM »
Finally confirmation that they broadcasting the show globally even though it was bound to happen eventually. Bummed I have to wait for the premier but December is just around the corner so it's not a big deal.

The Grand Tour: A Message from the Guys

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
The Grand Tour Thread
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2016, 07:06:42 AM »
So the new show from Jezza, Hamster, and Captain Slow premieres today on Amazon, and while I am going to wait to view it until my wife and I can watch together, I figured why not start a thread to discuss this second generation of the real Top Gear. I am intensely looking forward to this.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Grand Tour Thread
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2016, 07:09:20 AM »
Can't wait for this. Victoria and I are blowing off group bowling plans tonight to watch. She doesn't give a damn about cars in the slightest, but she's thoroughly enjoyed the 8 or 9 seasons of Top Gear she's watched with me. She loves the british stuff.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
Re: The Grand Tour Thread
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2016, 07:14:52 AM »
My wife's the same way, and while she can appreciate the cars, the real appeal comes from the boys and the chemistry they have, plus the fucking crazy shit they pull. There have been multiple times where we've both nearly pissed ourselves laughing at the shit they do. Highlights have included the airport race, the limo/taxi race, and the ambulance episode.

To this day, my wife can't see the trucks at an airport without laughing.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: The Grand Tour thread (merged)
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2016, 01:10:02 PM »
I watched the first episode this afternoon, and I love it! The entertainment value comes from the chemistry between the three of them; it's great fun to watch even if you're not a car nut. Exactly what was brilliant about Top Gear with them carries on with The Grand Tour.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2016, 01:22:26 PM »
I agree...it was great to see the three of them back together again. The opening sequence nearly had me tearing up. Loved the show. I'd still choose the McLaren any day over the the other two btw.   :metal
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2016, 01:42:54 PM »
That sounds awesome, was a bit worried it might not feel the same. Can't wait to see it myself.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2016, 02:39:53 PM »
I agree...it was great to see the three of them back together again. The opening sequence nearly had me tearing up. Loved the show. I'd still choose the McLaren any day over the the other two btw.   :metal

From what I was reading in the months leading up to this, supposedly the budget for just the opening sequence was close to $3 million.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2016, 08:51:56 AM »
Enjoyed the first episode, the second however was terrible.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2016, 06:35:22 AM »

I've seen a lot of hate on the second episode. If all you want is car segments, I get it.  I was laughing my ass off though. I thought it was really funny. Not saying this to you in particular, but just something I've noticed online in general, is that isn't a Top Gear 2.0. This is an American comedy show with three actors that were at one time on a British motoring show. I think segments like this might be needed simply to avoid getting sued by the BBC.

One thing I will say though, I really hate the American. I get why he's there, but the jokes are killing that entire segment. He could drop one while waiting to take off and it could be his signature thing, but I can so do without the ones while he's making laps. He managed to make a pickup truck joke and a deer joke over the span of like 6 seconds. As an American, I absolutely love British people that shit on us, but it's typically because it's witty and subtle, yet more clever than anything you'll see on American TV. This character is like pouring all the most well known and beaten to death stereotypes about America into a funnel and telling us to chug. I could also do without the celebrity deaths. Those are already boring.

I am optimistic though. This was a huge undertaking for Amazon, and they'll learn a lot through feedback as the season goes on. In time, this will be great.

Side note. Amazon added seasons 2-13 of British Top Gear to Prime. I've been watching some of that. Season 2 is pretty cringe worthy at times.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2016, 05:40:36 AM »
I haven't had a chance to watch the second episode with all the moving I've done but I'll check it out tonight. I did read some bad reviews of the second episode but just like you said Chino, people forget that it's not Top Gear 2.0 and the latter seasons of Top Gear had some pretty bad scripted bits in as well.

I have the whole collection of Top Gear and I need to check out the first few seasons. I wonder why they didn't get the first season up pre-James May?

Chino, have you checked out 80's Top Gear?

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2016, 06:05:08 AM »
I have not. Didn't even know that was a thing!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2016, 06:15:19 AM »
Top Gear was around well before May & Hammond.

I remember when it was Tiff Needell, Quentin Wilson and the girl one. :biggrin:

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2016, 08:37:30 AM »

I've seen a lot of hate on the second episode. If all you want is car segments, I get it.  I was laughing my ass off though. I thought it was really funny. Not saying this to you in particular, but just something I've noticed online in general, is that isn't a Top Gear 2.0. This is an American comedy show with three actors that were at one time on a British motoring show. I think segments like this might be needed simply to avoid getting sued by the BBC.

One thing I will say though, I really hate the American. I get why he's there, but the jokes are killing that entire segment. He could drop one while waiting to take off and it could be his signature thing, but I can so do without the ones while he's making laps. He managed to make a pickup truck joke and a deer joke over the span of like 6 seconds. As an American, I absolutely love British people that shit on us, but it's typically because it's witty and subtle, yet more clever than anything you'll see on American TV. This character is like pouring all the most well known and beaten to death stereotypes about America into a funnel and telling us to chug. I could also do without the celebrity deaths. Those are already boring.

I am optimistic though. This was a huge undertaking for Amazon, and they'll learn a lot through feedback as the season goes on. In time, this will be great.

Side note. Amazon added seasons 2-13 of British Top Gear to Prime. I've been watching some of that. Season 2 is pretty cringe worthy at times.

Yeah I do get your point Top Gear has always been scripted mostly for comic reasons.  But for me generally it's had a purpose - whether it be a race, a tour, a build or a experiment.   The SAS training thing was just a sketch nothing more, and not a very interesting or funny one (for me) - it dragged on, repeating the same jokes over and over.

I agree with The American - obvious stereotype, and I also hope they drop the celebrity death skit too.