Author Topic: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Matchbox Twenty)  (Read 24348 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Alanis Morissette)
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2015, 05:58:20 AM »
Deb!  Good to see you!

This album while it didn't totally click for me it got me into her art.  There are other albums of hers that I love from start to finish but JLP was a great start to her career and a hell of a first album.

Except it wasn't her first album :P

Her first major release and not the kiddie crap released before. :P
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2015, 06:54:29 AM »

Aw, c'mon... she gave Matt LeBlanc is big break!   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2015, 06:57:33 AM »
Exactly Chad! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2015, 08:52:52 AM »
Besides, Alice in Chains didn't invent the term god smack.
Who did?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2015, 09:34:52 AM »
Besides, Alice in Chains didn't invent the term god smack.
Who did?

Dr. Seuss

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2015, 10:26:52 AM »
*smacks*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2015, 08:59:14 PM »

Aw, c'mon... she gave Matt LeBlanc is big break!   :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_LFnEoG62Q

Let's just pretend that is from the 80s so that it would be more acceptable.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Jeff Buckley)
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2015, 11:45:13 PM »

I don't listen to this album nearly enough anymore, but it is utterly fantastic.  Jeff Buckley had a terrific voice, and what a shame it is that Grace was his only studio album.  His cover of "Hallelujah" is the song talked about the most from this record, and it is terrific, but the rest of it is just as strong.  Just splendid, from start to finish; a true classic in every sense of the word. :coolio

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2015, 11:53:07 PM »
Ooooh, now there's an album that I totally did not think about when it comes to this thread.  I should listen to it.  A good amount of singers, I like, especially Myles Kennedy, really dig Jeff Buckley and this album.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2015, 01:02:46 AM »
The 1990s was indeed a decade of heartbreak for young artists who have gone too soon. Kurt Cobain. Criss Oliva. Jeff Buckley.

Grace is an amazing album.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2015, 01:08:51 AM »
Shame that my favorite track here (Forget Her) wasn't in the original release.

Still, can't complain much when it has Last Goodbye, Grace and Lover, You Should've Come Over.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 01:24:07 AM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2015, 02:17:20 AM »
Grace is a great album.  :)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2015, 03:08:51 AM »
One of my favorite albums ever  :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2015, 04:19:28 AM »
So I heard Last Goodbye on the radio and got this CD right away.  Talk about depth in an album.  There was an interview I heard that I've always remembered.  Jeff said,

"You can play an acoustic hard, and an electric guitar soft.  Dimension is a lost art these days."  That statement blew me away like his music did.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2015, 05:21:17 AM »
It's an alright album,never really got the hype about it but some tracks are pretty neat like the title track.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2015, 05:56:52 AM »
One of the greatest albums of all time.

Also one of the best recordings of all time.  The sound is just incredible.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2015, 06:49:03 AM »
Awesome album, I remember listening to it after seeing it on someone's Top 50 list, instantly made my Top 50.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2015, 03:51:37 PM »
I feel like an ass for saying it, and in some sense putting a value on lost lives, but in terms of the music which never got the chance to be made because of the artist’s death, Jeff Buckley was arguably the greatest loss.

Grace is incredible, we know his followup was going to be at least very good, he was a great live artist... he possessed so much artistry, it’s basically inconceivable he was going to turn shit any time soon. He almost certainly would have made brilliant music for decades. He could have been churning out jawdropping songs to this day. And he had such breadth stylistically, who knows what effect he might have had on any number of genres/subgenres.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2015, 04:01:11 PM »
One of the greatest albums of all time.

Also one of the best recordings of all time.  The sound is just incredible.

Nailed it. It's also one of my favorite albums lyrically too.

Dream Brother is one of the most incredible songs I've ever listened to. Fantastic finale to an already grand album.

I feel like an ass for saying it, and in some sense putting a value on lost lives, but in terms of the music which never got the chance to be made because of the artist’s death, Jeff Buckley was arguably the greatest loss.

I'd actually have to agree with you on this. We were robbed of a true musical genius when Jeff died. :(
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2015, 09:24:12 PM »
so much love for this album.  one of my all time favourites. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2015, 11:46:15 PM »

There's a lot of examples historically that come to mind (Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Holly, Marvin Gaye, Charlie Parker, Jaco Pastorius), and I am a huge fan of Jeff's, but I would put Kevin Gilbert as an even greater loss.

I guess on 1 hand, certainly in terms volume of actual recorded music left behind and post-humous work, Kevin including the different bands he was in and songs he worked on (from small roles like keys and engineering, to being a center point in the music created), has a fair amount of more music than Jeff.

But I think in terms of what he could have done, there was an unbelievable amount of potential just hearing a lot of the work he was working on around the time he died that has been released after his death.

And I love Sketches, which in some ways, I actually prefer to Grace. But I guess I can't help but wonder what Kevin would have made. My best guess is he would have had a career somewhat like Matt Mahaffey aka sElf has had, very much of his own entity, along with making music for soundtracks in hollywood to pay his bills.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Nine Inch Nails)
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2015, 03:04:39 PM »

Nine Inch Nails fall under the category of one of those bands I think is really good, but almost never listen to.  I think it was maybe 10 years ago when I finally heard all of The Downward Spiral, and it definitely kicked my ass.  Sadly, I almost never listen to even this record, but on the rare occasions where I do listen to a track or two from it, its greatness is still more than obvious, as is its status as one of THE classic albums of the 90s.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2015, 03:09:56 PM »
I acknowledge this as an absolutely stunning and classic album.   It may even be NiN's masterpiece.   But it's a tough listen.   

It does exactly what the title suggests.    By the time I get to I Do Not Want This, I just feel.....done.   Like I just can't handle pummeling myself with that much negativity in a single sitting.    Even The Wall has it's "uplifting" moments.   This is just a really DARK album. 

Pretty Hate Machine I can get through in a single go-round.   But I've never emotionally been able to handle this entire album from start to finish in a single sitting.   It's just too much. 

Fantastic album though.   A brilliant, and yet chilling piece of work by Reznor. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2015, 04:37:36 PM »
The 1990s seems to be the darkest decade in music.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2015, 05:00:53 PM »
A true classic album. Easily Trent's best work. My first listen of this is an experience that I'll never forget.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2015, 05:04:14 PM »
This album is fantastic in every sense  :hefdaddy

Calvin6s

« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2015, 05:24:33 PM »
Nine Inch Nails.  Now we are talking.

1992 to 1994 was a pretty great time (if you didn't waste it whining about grunge).

I really wasn't into what was being sold as industrial:  Ministry.  So I wrote off industrial in the beginning.  Probably why I overlooked NIN's Pretty Hate Machine until 1992's Broken pointed the way.  NIN was more the industrial I wanted.  The rough synth blended with the guitar and the computer morphing was exactly what I wanted out of that genre.

Pick a favorite Downward Spiral track?  No way.  Great from beginning to end.  Great intro.  Good agro songs like March of the Pigs.  Great groove songs like Heresy.  Wonderful interlude instrumental songs like Eraser and tortured soul feel of Hurt.

The 90s were so great for music.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2015, 06:22:18 PM »
Nine Inch Nails.  Now we are talking.

Hell yeah we are  :metal

I absolutely love Downward Spiral, and its great for those days where everything is fucked.

No matter how mad I am, I pop that baby in and 20 mins later, suddenly I'm feeling a whole lot better. One of my top 10 favorite albums.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2015, 07:30:08 AM »
NIN is a really interesting project.  In many ways, Reznor can be considered a genius.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2015, 01:43:47 PM »
It does exactly what the title suggests.    By the time I get to I Do Not Want This, I just feel.....done.   Like I just can't handle pummeling myself with that much negativity in a single sitting.    Even The Wall has it's "uplifting" moments.   This is just a really DARK album. 

I definitely don't disagree, but "A Warm Place" is pretty uplifting in comparison. I suppose it can also be seen as poignant or even sad, but the majority of it keeps away from neutral/sad chord voicings, so it's pretty 'up'. Also, I wouldn't call "Closer" negative sounding, though obviously its lyrics are.

Certainly a classic album. About the only song I can't get behind is "The Becoming" – but it's actually because it may be the best example of the way TDS is designed, which is to create as much discomfort as possible (though also building in shifts in mood). So, I quite like the acoustic sections, but the machine bits have that awful background loop of people screaming from Robot Joxx, and it annoys the hell out of me. I've hated it since I first heard the record in 2002ish. Mission accomplished, sorta!

It took a long time to get into "Heresy" as well, mostly because of the ridiculous falsetto vocals. Once I heard the demo version, though, all was good. It's far more menacing.

Even "Burn" (about the only proper b-side) is fantastic, aggro teenage lyrics aside.

I have a constant debate in my head about whether TDS or The Fragile should be considered the NIN '90s classic, but it's because TF may be my favourite album ever. Sales and attention-wise, TDS clearly wins in terms of cultural appreciation and impact.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2015, 03:57:04 PM »
Still possibly my favourite album of all time. Individual songs are first class and the entirety and the flow of the album are near flawless.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2015, 05:26:22 PM »
I have a constant debate in my head about whether TDS or The Fragile should be considered the NIN '90s classic, but it's because TF may be my favourite album ever. Sales and attention-wise, TDS clearly wins in terms of cultural appreciation and impact.

The two are classics anyway  ;)
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2015, 05:31:50 PM »
For me this was a new age of music and the catilisy for other bands to add electronica to rock.  This was the perfect mix and lead to bands like Stabbing Westward ect...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Faith No More)
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2015, 06:05:37 AM »

A beast of a CD, from start to finish, Angel Dust is.  Faith No More is another band I got into long after their peak - I think it was about a decade ago - but this album blew my doors off when I heard it. The classic status this record has is more than obvious.  I don't listen to FNM that much these days, but when I do, Angel Dust is what I always reach for.  :coolio

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Faith No More)
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2015, 06:19:15 AM »
Don't think I've heard a single song off of it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol