Author Topic: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Matchbox Twenty)  (Read 24349 times)

Calvin6s

Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: The Smashing Pumpkins)
« Reply #490 on: August 30, 2015, 12:43:13 PM »
Siamese Dream was my first Smashing Pumpkins CD and still my favorite.

I'm pretty sure it was the single Today that sold me on buying the album.  And that 3 song opening of Cherub Rock, Quiet and Today made me an instant fan.  Quiet, in particular, really hit home.

The following couple albums were enjoyable, but didn't have the same impact with me as Siamese Dream.  The 21st century Smashing Pumpkins has been less fun for me.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #491 on: August 30, 2015, 12:44:11 PM »
Stolen from Jackie's Facebook page. :lol

I know, I know.  Next album but Holy lol.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: August 30, 2015, 12:45:48 PM »
They're not The Smashing Pumpkins anymore. They're Billy Corgan plus whoever is in the band *this week*.

At the moment - Jimmy is back in the band again for touring duties.

Ehhhhh.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #493 on: August 30, 2015, 12:48:04 PM »
No, he's popping in for a few shows for now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #494 on: August 30, 2015, 08:16:12 PM »
I was just having a conversation with someone about Corgan's voice the other day.  I likened it to Mustaine and Megadeth, the voice is always the hardest thing to get into.

Yeah.  I heard Corgan's cover of Fleetwood Mac's Landslide on the radio the other day.  It was pretty... gooooood. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #495 on: August 30, 2015, 08:37:52 PM »
Never mind....meant to post in the Iron Maiden thread...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #496 on: August 31, 2015, 08:46:49 AM »
Similar to you, Kev.  Corgan always struck me as a really good songwriter who should have gotten a different lead singer for the band.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #497 on: August 31, 2015, 08:51:21 AM »
Love this album. I actually prefer it over Mellon Collie. So many classic songs and personally my favorite "grunge" album. I love the guitar tones and I also don't mind Corgan's vocals. He's a great songwriter.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #498 on: August 31, 2015, 09:14:11 AM »
I wouldn't put TSP in the grunge box at all really

Offline T-ski

« Reply #499 on: August 31, 2015, 09:49:16 AM »
put me in the group that loves TSP music but can't stand Corgan's voice.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #500 on: August 31, 2015, 12:45:21 PM »
One of my favorite albums ever from one of my favorite bands ever

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #501 on: August 31, 2015, 06:31:17 PM »
Put me in the group that likes the music of Smashing Pumpkins but because of their feud with Soundgarden, I dislike them as well.  :lol

Calvin6s

« Reply #502 on: August 31, 2015, 08:13:35 PM »
I don't mind Corgan's voice.  Some of the songs are so iconic, that it just wouldn't seem right without his voice.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #503 on: September 01, 2015, 03:00:52 AM »
I wouldn't put TSP in the grunge box at all really
I wouldn't too.

Calvin6s

« Reply #504 on: September 01, 2015, 03:04:22 PM »
I always thought Pumpkins were closer to Grunge (Nirvana centric) than Alice in Chains or Soundgarden.  The fuzzy guitar (instead of the grindy, cutting metal guitar or warm rock guitar), the lazy / angsty vocals.  They were always "alternative grunge" to me.  I never really cared for the genre term "alternative", so it usually has to be alternate + something it is alternating from.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 07:14:20 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #505 on: September 01, 2015, 05:22:33 PM »
I dunno.  Corgan is a much better guitarist, technically speaking, and he brought that influence into TSP.  I'm thinking specifically Blackmore, Lifeson, Van Halen etc.  There are some great guitar solos across their catalogue.  That alone would put them closer to AiC or Soundgarden over Nirvana, who were basically Beatles meets punk.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Eric Johnson)
« Reply #506 on: September 02, 2015, 04:51:36 PM »

The 90s ushered in the guitar heroes albums, and one of the first was Ah Via Musicom by Eric Johnson.  Now, despite its rep for being a guitar hero album, it has some good songwriting as well, as opposed to just song after song of guitar wankery.  In fact, I've never thought of Johnson as a guy who just goes out there and rips it up for the sake of it.  "Trademark" is a melodic gem, and the big classic, "Cliffs of Dover," is soaked with gorgeous melodies, helped as always by Johnson's sublime guitar tone. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: September 02, 2015, 05:15:02 PM »
I didn't get into this one as much as Tones, I love that album.  I should dig this one out and have a listen again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Calvin6s

« Reply #508 on: September 02, 2015, 05:27:38 PM »
Smashing Pumpkins then Eric Johnson ... perfect follow up.  The same friend that introduced me to SP, introduced me to EJ.

I had a few musician friends, but at this time my inner circle of guitarists centered around me and four others.  It was a really good circle because
one friend was into the shredder scene: Vai, Satch, Becker, etc.
one was into finding bands like Smashing Pumpkins and Eric Johnson (less metal / shredder centric)
one was into thrash
one was into RHCP, Johnny Marr, etc
I was into all of it, but brought in more prog (then): Queensryche, Fates, Savatage
So it was a good mix that allowed for quickly finding out about many guitar centric genres

Cliffs of Dover was what finally made me go from a copy of the friends tape to buying the two Johnson CDs and instructional video.  But the song that made me a long term EJ fan was Trademark.  That song is just so perfect.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: September 02, 2015, 05:33:34 PM »
This album is amazeballs. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:52:09 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #510 on: September 02, 2015, 05:43:51 PM »
I know Cliffs of Dover, of course, but I had no idea that this album had a reputation.  The more you know.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #511 on: September 02, 2015, 05:49:08 PM »
Possibly the first album in this thread where I own a physical copy.  Good stuff.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline T-ski

« Reply #512 on: September 02, 2015, 07:23:39 PM »
My intro to Eric Johnson. 

I was working at my colleges television station in the early 90's and used Righteous as the theme to the men's basketball coaches show.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Calvin6s

« Reply #513 on: September 02, 2015, 08:26:21 PM »
Trademark

This song feels so relaxing and soothing, but still exciting at the same time.  If you haven't checked out Eric Johnson beyond Cliffs of Dover, then I recommend giving this song a try.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #514 on: September 02, 2015, 08:44:19 PM »
I kind of fell off of the Eric Johnson radar after Ah Via, but he has made some very solid music after this one. Plus, being in Austin... you literally could not go anywhere without hearing SOMETHING from this album back when it broke, and it broke SO huge here. EJ was something of a local legend... Tones helped to put him on the bigger map, but Ah Via firmly planted him there. Great album, and even to this day just thinking of the instrumental intro to Cliffs of Dover gives me goosebumps because of the greatness that comes after. Trademark is absolutely great too, but I think my high watermark on this would HAVE to be High Landrons. SUCH a good song and that solo... just mmm. Tasty.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #515 on: September 03, 2015, 12:12:15 AM »
The only album by EJ I know and I really like it. I was introduced to Eric Johnson by my guitar teacher and we learned to play some of the songs, meaning he could play them and I would try to make them sound half decent  ;D Sometimes I even suceeded.

And I remember reading several interviews with Eric, where he talked about his search for the right guitar sound and he got into as much detail as how the kind of battery you put into your effect pedal affects your sound. And then I heard the live G3 album with Satriani, Vai and Eric Johnson and he had such a shitty sound on that album. Maybe he should have used other batteries.  ::)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Calvin6s

« Reply #516 on: September 03, 2015, 07:42:20 PM »
he got into as much detail as how the kind of battery you put into your effect pedal affects your sound.

That's the common EJ story.  Pedals and batteries.  It always sounded like a PR thing to me.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #517 on: September 03, 2015, 09:44:19 PM »
I enjoy Tones most, but I consider Eric Johnson's 1st 3 albums all about equal.

White Cliffs of Dover being probably the biggest winner on Ah Via.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #518 on: September 04, 2015, 01:17:09 AM »
he got into as much detail as how the kind of battery you put into your effect pedal affects your sound.

That's the common EJ story.  Pedals and batteries.  It always sounded like a PR thing to me.

Could be, but he talked about it a lot and very detailed, he came of as a kind of sound/tone-nerd  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #519 on: September 04, 2015, 02:43:06 AM »
The 1990s is really the decade where solo guitar instrumentalists found that they can make a tull-time career out of what they were doing.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: September 04, 2015, 03:12:51 AM »
The 1990s is really the decade where solo guitar instrumentalists found that they can make a tull-time career out of what they were doing.

Yep - it was the only place to find a decent guitar solo  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #521 on: September 04, 2015, 08:46:17 AM »
Love, love, love Ah Via Musicom.  Like Kev mentioned, the songwriting is really strong, not just the fireworks.

Of course, acquiring the tab for Cliffs of Dover and attempting to learn it was what finally convinced me that rhythm guitar was my future.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: September 04, 2015, 11:42:43 AM »
who?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: September 04, 2015, 12:20:40 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Matchbox Twenty)
« Reply #524 on: September 19, 2015, 07:10:16 AM »
I apologize for slacking and disregarding this thread for the last couple weeks.  Time to get back on track...

Matchbox Twenty was a band I never paid much attention to, but their songs were ones you couldn't avoid, which wasn't a bad thing, since the hits from this album are all enjoyable - "Real World, " "3 A.M.," "Push" and "Long Day."  All good songs, and Yourself or Someone Like You sold a ton of classics as a result, and I think this has attained classic album status, so here we go.