Author Topic: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Matchbox Twenty)  (Read 24460 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Shania Twain)
« Reply #175 on: August 09, 2015, 08:47:50 PM »
I am more than open to recommendations on particular albums/artists.  As I said in the first post on this and the 80s thread, PM away and I will not only take them into strong consideration, but am more likely to bump them up near the front of the line.  That applies to everyone, including you, Outcrier.  Bring on the recommendations!  :tup :tup

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #176 on: August 09, 2015, 08:57:49 PM »
Dude, this is not the first time you've disrupted these threads with negative or disparaging comments.   It's pretty poor form to take somebody else's idea/thread and then just crap all over they way they are doing it.    Go start your own.   You've been pretty much a Debby Downer with most of your comments in these threads. 

Take it somewhere else and let the rest of us have some fun.    If you have a suggestion, Email it to Kev.   Otherwise.... play nice or get out.

Again, where did i make a disparaging comment or crapped all over his thread? Hyperbole much?

And please drop that "Play nice or get out" attitude. You're treating me like i disrespected someone or violated some forum rule.

EDIT: but yeah.  I don't see you as being overly negative but meh.  I enjoy these threads, and generally just stay away when I see an artist I don't like in the thread title :lol

Thanks. Nice to hear that from someone with an unbiased judgement.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #177 on: August 09, 2015, 09:28:25 PM »
You may not have violated a forum rule, but I certainly feel you have disrespected Kev every time you've called into question the way he was doing a thread that was his idea, and that he started....and not very nicely, I might add.   

But I refuse to derail this thread any further.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #178 on: August 09, 2015, 09:41:57 PM »
Gonna jump in past all that and say that Shania Twain will always be a favorite of mine.

:heart

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2015, 09:47:25 PM »
I know it made history and all but, personally, a classic album should be more than just decent musically.

But it is more than decent musically. Just because it's not your cup of tea does not mean that it's not decent.

I am a 1990s guy. Those are my high school to college years. And you can not say you are discussing 1990s music if you do not include Shania Twain. Kev, bring in Tina Arena also so that we can increase the hotness factor here.  :lol

And for that matter, if we really want this to be a 90s classic albums thread, we should be seeing more Boyz II Men, Maria Carey, and at least one boyband album. Like it or not, the 1990s are not complete without them. I am still waiting for New Kids on The Block to show up in the 80s classic thread.  :lol

Calvin6s

« Reply #180 on: August 09, 2015, 10:35:27 PM »
Perhaps we should let the past stay there and not look to point fingers, but maybe just try to make it an unwritten rule that we take disputing the classic status of an album off the table and move forward?  Plain and simple.  It isn't like we would be able to get near unanimous agreement anyway, so why try?

And I don't want Outcrier to leave the thread.  He's obviously coming from a slightly different musical background and I think it can add to the thread.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #181 on: August 09, 2015, 11:10:02 PM »
This thread is about classic 90's albums. This album and Shania Twain were a pretty big thing in the 90's. Whether you like it or think it's good music is one thing, but I don't understand how anyone could dispute that this is a 90's classic album. :huh:

I'd even go so far as to say that it would have been a failure on Kev's part had he not featured this album in the thread at some point.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #182 on: August 09, 2015, 11:16:28 PM »
This thread is about classic 90's albums. This album and Shania Twain were a pretty big thing in the 90's. Whether you like it or think it's good music is one thing, but I don't understand how anyone could dispute that this is a 90's classic album. :huh:

I'd even go so far as to say that it would have been a failure on Kev's part had he not featured this album in the thread at some point.

He should take seriously my recommendation of The Bodyguard soundtrack.  :lol

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #183 on: August 09, 2015, 11:59:11 PM »
I know it made history and all but, personally, a classic album should be more than just decent musically.

But it is more than decent musically. Just because it's not your cup of tea does not mean that it's not decent.

Hey, i meant that as a personal opinion, not as a fact  :lol

I am more than open to recommendations on particular albums/artists.  As I said in the first post on this and the 80s thread, PM away and I will not only take them into strong consideration, but am more likely to bump them up near the front of the line.  That applies to everyone, including you, Outcrier.

I thought you wanted me to leave  :-*
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 12:19:46 AM by Outcrier »

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #184 on: August 10, 2015, 01:26:56 AM »
And for that matter, if we really want this to be a 90s classic albums thread, we should be seeing more Boyz II Men, Maria Carey, and at least one boyband album. Like it or not, the 1990s are not complete without them. I am still waiting for New Kids on The Block to show up in the 80s classic thread.  :lol
You forgot the Spice Girls.

Online PetFish

« Reply #185 on: August 10, 2015, 01:45:32 AM »
The Woman In Me is a fantastic album full of great hooks and fun songs.  I'm proud to say I was a fan of Shania before she became famous.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #186 on: August 10, 2015, 02:17:03 AM »
You forgot the Spice Girls.

:tup

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #187 on: August 10, 2015, 04:20:54 AM »
I'm sorry you guys but i'm with Outcrier on this one. Everyone has their own definition of a "classic" album but to me,a classic album should still have it's charm and stand the test of time. For example,if we make a 00s Classic Albums,are we gonna have some Justin Bieber shit on there or something from a much more important and influential band. Of course that Shania Twain album sold buckets in the 90s but does it still hold up? Do musicians and bands from today refer to her as an influence? I'm sorry but no. I'm still following this though,since it is still in the first few pages.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #188 on: August 10, 2015, 04:43:04 AM »
Of course that Shania Twain album sold buckets in the 90s but does it still hold up? Do musicians and bands from today refer to her as an influence? I'm sorry but no.
I might be able to get behind this if the point of the thread were about the most influential albums of the 90's but alas it is not. As far as I'm concerned, an album only needs to have been popular, well known, and well respected during its era to be a "classic" of that era. I feel this album qualifies, because Shania Twain was a big deal in the 90's. I don't see how her continued influence on popular music (or lack thereof) 20 years later has any relevance.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #189 on: August 10, 2015, 04:49:25 AM »
I'm sorry you guys but i'm with Outcrier on this one. Everyone has their own definition of a "classic" album but to me,a classic album should still have it's charm and stand the test of time. For example,if we make a 00s Classic Albums,are we gonna have some Justin Bieber shit on there or something from a much more important and influential band. Of course that Shania Twain album sold buckets in the 90s but does it still hold up? Do musicians and bands from today refer to her as an influence? I'm sorry but no. I'm still following this though,since it is still in the first few pages.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #190 on: August 10, 2015, 04:55:55 AM »
Of course that Shania Twain album sold buckets in the 90s but does it still hold up? Do musicians and bands from today refer to her as an influence? I'm sorry but no.
I might be able to get behind this if the point of the thread were about the most influential albums of the 90's but alas it is not. As far as I'm concerned, an album only needs to have been popular, well known, and well respected during its era to be a "classic" of that era. I feel this album qualifies, because Shania Twain was a big deal in the 90's. I don't see how her continued influence on popular music (or lack thereof) 20 years later has any relevance.
Actually I've changed my mind. Shania Twain may not have influenced many current/new artists of today, but I'm sure a lot of artists in the 90's would have cited her as an influence back in the day. So even if the thread were titled "Influential albums of the 90's" I would still argue for the inclusion of Come On Over, even if that influence were relatively short-lived.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #191 on: August 10, 2015, 06:07:28 AM »

Who said I didn't?  JHC, some patience here might be in order.  I just started this damn thread.  I can't feature everything at once. :facepalm:

No offense, but I don't feel the need to check with you before I feature an album to make sure you approve of its classic album status.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #192 on: August 10, 2015, 06:16:50 AM »

so...much...this...

"Do musicians and bands from today refer to her as an influence?"

As much as I wish it weren't so, the answer is a resounding YES.    I honestly wish it weren't so...but the influence of this album can't be understated.  It's just a fact, whether I like it or not...and I don't. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Calvin6s

« Reply #193 on: August 10, 2015, 06:24:43 AM »
Somebody just start the "What makes an album a classic?" thread already.  For this thread, KevShmev should be the jury of one.  Most albums are only featured for 24 to 72 hours, so it is hardly torture to deal with an album you think isn't up to your standards.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #194 on: August 10, 2015, 06:34:16 AM »
Most albums are only featured for 24 to 72 hours, so it is hardly torture to deal with an album you think isn't up to your standards.
Exactly. I don’t care for Shania Twain, but my only thought was “meh, I’ll wait a day or two”. And there are others who have warm feelings for it.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #195 on: August 10, 2015, 06:54:27 AM »

Who said I didn't?  JHC, some patience here might be in order.  I just started this damn thread.  I can't feature everything at once. :facepalm:

It was a joke, Kev. Sorry if the smiley was not clear. Still waiting for the 80s thread to feature Poison. :lol

Calvin6s

« Reply #196 on: August 10, 2015, 07:20:34 AM »
It was a joke, Kev. Sorry if the smiley was not clear. Still waiting for the 80s thread to feature Poison. :lol
I chalk it up to Kev's classic thread PTSD.  Everything is making him jump now.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #197 on: August 10, 2015, 07:27:12 AM »
My classics are more classic than your classics, biatch.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #198 on: August 10, 2015, 08:34:10 AM »
This is obviously not a classic.  It only sold eleventy billion copies, it was obviously not cool or classic in any way ever, much less in the 90s when it came out.

Only stuff by relatively obscure niche bands that influenced other relatively obscure niche bands could possibly be considered "classic" in any way.

Yeah, this is a good album, even today.  It was massive. 

My wife and I actually performed "From This Moment" at a wedding a few months ago.  It's still big. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #199 on: August 10, 2015, 08:38:05 AM »
Kev, change the title to 90's albums so you don't have to deal with semantics.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #200 on: August 10, 2015, 08:45:33 AM »
He doesn't have to. Only snobs would not find the biggest selling album of a female artist  a classic.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #201 on: August 10, 2015, 08:46:47 AM »
No need for that. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #202 on: August 10, 2015, 09:49:25 AM »

so...much...this...

"Do musicians and bands from today refer to her as an influence?"

As much as I wish it weren't so, the answer is a resounding YES.    I honestly wish it weren't so...but the influence of this album can't be understated.  It's just a fact, whether I like it or not...and I don't.

I think Shania Twain and Garth Brooks are the ones that saved country music, then a slowly dying genre, by crossing it over with pop and rock. That mix of country, pop and rock elements can be clearly heard today with artists like Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #203 on: August 10, 2015, 12:20:24 PM »
No need for that.

Yep, not gonna happen. 

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #204 on: August 10, 2015, 01:03:34 PM »
I think Shania Twain and Garth Brooks are the ones that saved country music, then a slowly dying genre, by crossing it over with pop and rock. That mix of country, pop and rock elements can be clearly heard today with artists like Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood.

yup, there's your influence right there put it right thuurrrrr

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #205 on: August 10, 2015, 03:00:27 PM »
No offense, but I don't feel the need to check with you before I feature an album to make sure you approve of its classic album status.

No one said you have to do so, we just give your opinions on that particular album. I don't see what's the big deal about it.

Calvin6s

« Reply #206 on: August 10, 2015, 04:29:22 PM »

No one said you have to do so, we just give your opinions on that particular album. I don't see what's the big deal about it.

But saying you don't like an album is a direct answer to the discussion.  Challenging its classic status is more of a challenge to the thread itself.  Why can't we stop making this about personal disputes, accept that this thread is not looking to make a definitive list of what is and what is not a classic album and just move forward?

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #207 on: August 10, 2015, 04:36:46 PM »
No problem. If i knew it was gonna be taken that way, i would never have said anything in the first place  :blush

Calvin6s

« Reply #208 on: August 10, 2015, 04:43:17 PM »
No problem. If i knew it was gonna be taken that way, i would never have said anything in the first place  :blush

Awesome.  I'm glad you will stick around because part of what I want to take from this thread (besides the nostalgia trip) is to see an album I didn't really get into and have somebody give a few reasons why they liked that album so I can zero in on those possibilities.  That will probably take somebody that's taste does not mirror mine to a large degree, and you are one those people that are most likely to point out the positives of an album most DT fans will have little to discuss.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Red Hot Chili Peppers)
« Reply #209 on: August 10, 2015, 05:13:58 PM »
I think anybody who was gonna say anything about Shania Twain has probably said it ;), so we move on with:

I will be honest: I do not like the Red Hot Chili Peppers.  At all.  I fully acknowledge that they are a talented band, especially Flea, and Blood Sugar Sex Magik is an obvious classic, but they just aren't my cup of tea, so in the words of Forrest Gump, that's all I have to say about that.