Author Topic: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Matchbox Twenty)  (Read 24478 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Metallica)
« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2015, 09:15:13 PM »
I cannot dance....but I can dance to Enter Sandman. 

It wasn't that they got huge, it was HOW they got huge.    We WANTED the masses to love what Metallica was chucking out.   We WANTED 10 million thrash metal maniacs.   We WANTED the brutality to finally have its day in the sun.     But The Black Album is extremely "watered down" compared to what came before it.   

It was seriously like RTL, MoP and AFJA were all foreplay........and then the payoff was like, "oh, that's it?"

They needed to do something new, but I wish they would have taken the darker path.  Take it up a notch.  Experiment with tribal beats and do what Sepultura hadn't done yet....something like that.    If Metallica would have released Chaos A.D., and *that" had sold 10 million copies, I would have been happy. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #141 on: August 07, 2015, 09:18:43 PM »
Brutality DID have its day in the sun, though.  I am not sure anything that heavy had ever been that popular before.  Even a "watered down" Metallica in 1991 was still heavier than stuff by Sabbath or Priest that was so popular.

That was when, right or wrong, it became cool and hip for the masses to like metal.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #142 on: August 07, 2015, 09:24:33 PM »
My favourite Metallica album (by far) and one of the absolute greats as far as I'm concerned. :2metal:

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2015, 11:50:48 PM »
A great metal album. His sin is that it came after albums like RTL, MOP and AJFA.

Extending my thoughts, i think all of these three albums i mentioned are much better than The Black Album but that doesn't make it bad or anything. A tad disappointing? Yeah, but still a great metal album.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #144 on: August 08, 2015, 12:10:13 AM »
Metallica is a great album. It's different from their previous output, but I wouldn't put it against them to try something new. What is tiring is if they keep on churning out the same music over and over again.

I also don't think Metallica deliberately made their music sound mainstream with this album. It's just a matter of the mainstream liking what they made here.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: August 08, 2015, 12:32:51 AM »
To me MoP is the classic of classics for them but this is my second favourite.  When it came out the diehards were up in arms about it being a sell out , but now most can only wish for a return to this sort of form.

Other than The God That Failed I really like just about everything on it.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #146 on: August 08, 2015, 01:22:25 AM »
My favourite Metallica album (by far) and one of the absolute greats as far as I'm concerned. :2metal:

This! :metal

Some people consider this a sell-out album because of the change of direction, but I think of it as a band progressing and maturing in their songwriting. The music is still heavy, even if not thrashy, and a lot of the songs are quite layered and complex, and much more melodic. The fact that it has become the best selling album of '91 onwards is a sign that it's timelessly good music that was in the right place at the right time.
There are a couple of clunkers on there, like Holier Than Thou and The Struggle Within (which are still tolerable), but everything else is at least good.

Basically, thrash fans can eat my poo, because TBA is amazing.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2015, 01:28:57 AM »
The Struggle Within is really the only track I'm not too fond of.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2015, 01:33:11 AM »
It's just the two for me. And I forgot to mention how beautiful the production is. For a start, you can hear the bass. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2015, 06:06:36 AM »

This! :metal

Some people consider this a sell-out album because of the change of direction, but I think of it as a band progressing and maturing in their songwriting. The music is still heavy, even if not thrashy, and a lot of the songs are quite layered and complex, and much more melodic. The fact that it has become the best selling album of '91 onwards is a sign that it's timelessly good music that was in the right place at the right time.
There are a couple of clunkers on there, like Holier Than Thou and The Struggle Within (which are still tolerable), but everything else is at least good.

Basically, thrash fans can eat my poo, because TBA is amazing.
For the most part, this.

The album basically transcended metal, and was able to show a larger audience how awesome metal can be. 

Awesome, awesome, awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2015, 08:55:25 AM »
whos that band never heard of them

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2015, 08:58:20 AM »
I'm not a huge Metallica fan, but the Black Album is definitely a classic and a great album. I've never really cared for thrash, so I have no problem with the mid-tempo songs and ballads, though Justice was the peak of the band's creativity IMO.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Shania Twain)
« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2015, 07:40:16 AM »
Let's see how this one goes over.

From metal to country:

I am not a fan of country, and I am really not a fan of country pop that has oversaturated the market in the last few decades, but I have to admit that I like some of the songs on Come On Over.  I think it was maybe the summer of 1998 when some guy at work was talking about going to the Shania Twain concert, and I was like, "Who?" I had never heard of her, but when he said it was country, I immediately shuddered.  Of course, when he showed me what she looked like, I was pretty impressed. She was in my top 5 attractive famous people for quite a few years. In her prime, she was as about as attractive as you could get (the exception always being Charlize Theron, who is the like the most beautiful woman ever).  Anyway, "From This Moment On" and "You're Still the One" are both more pop than anything, and both are nice pop songs.  I enjoy the silly stupidity of a song like "Don't Be Stupid."  This had other monster hits, one I do not like, that big contributors in this being, wait for it, the biggest selling album of the 90s.  Love or hate country, and I generally hate it, but the popularity and classic status of this record cannot be denied.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2015, 07:57:21 AM »
A fine album.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2015, 08:44:46 AM »
See my signature.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2015, 09:26:00 AM »
To me MoP is the classic of classics for them but this is my second favourite.  When it came out the diehards were up in arms about it being a sell out , but now most can only wish for a return to this sort of form.

Other than The God That Failed I really like just about everything on it.

Word.

re: Come On Over... it made my Top 50 album list.  Excellent album (gfy Joe  :lol).  Not only the best selling album of the 90s, but the best-selling album ever released by a female artist in any genre, ever.  It's also in the Top 10 best selling albums of all time (reportedly selling more copies than albums like Zeppelin IV, Hotel California, Sgt Peppers, and Born in the USA).  Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Of course, aided by the fact that From This Moment is my wedding song.  This is a terrific album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2015, 09:35:30 AM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline mrrct

« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2015, 10:34:12 AM »
I only liked, "Man, I Feel Like A Woman."  Hate country, and pop dressed up as country, for that matter.

When jingle.boy said what albums it outsold, I immediately looked up the numbers, and then albums I've heard that are among the top selling of all time.  While it has outsold Hotel California, it hasn't outsold (The Eagles) Their Greatest Hits.  Was relieved to see that it had at least passed TLC's CrazySexyCool and the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.  Not sure if it has outsold (worldwide sales; certainly U.S.) Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, but I neither like nor hate that album.

KevShmev is right that Charlize Theron is one of, if not THE, most beautiful woman going.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #158 on: August 09, 2015, 01:45:09 PM »
Whether it be 80's or 90's albums, we always end up talking about Mutt Lange at some point.   This time, he married the person he made a star, though I believe they split up a long time ago.

I never cared for her, her style, or her albums...but I still admit the songs are catchy.    And it is truly embarrassing when you're on a construction site and "Man, I Feel Like a Woman" gets stuck in your head.   ::)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #159 on: August 09, 2015, 02:03:09 PM »
Is she the one who had that song I had to learn some sock hop dance to in 5th grade? Come on, my school couldn't have been the only one to do that annoying shit.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: August 09, 2015, 02:48:04 PM »
fuck my mum thrashed this album when I was young.  I was a STRICTLY METALLUM kinda guy but I have to admit I remember some of these songs just as well as all the metal I was consuming.  really fantastic melodies on some of em.  some of the slower moments are super emoootional.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #161 on: August 09, 2015, 03:15:24 PM »
Now we're talking. A great album and a seriously hot lady. I own this album (all her albums in fact.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #162 on: August 09, 2015, 03:27:53 PM »
Sure, it was popular but that alone doesn't make it a classic imo.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #163 on: August 09, 2015, 03:32:02 PM »

Oh trust me.   I freakin HATE this album....I mean I truly despise this album.   It represents everything I hate about the regurgitated phlegm that people swallow down whole as "music".

....but it is a 90's classic.   That is a fact that cannot be wished away no matter how much I wish it weren't so.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: August 09, 2015, 03:32:36 PM »

I'm the furthest from being a county music fan but this album did transcend to fans of different genres and that's why it was so big and yes, thats why it's a classic.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2015, 03:38:38 PM »
See my signature.

:metal

KevShmev is right that Charlize Theron is one of, if not THE, most beautiful woman going.

:blush

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #166 on: August 09, 2015, 03:47:39 PM »
I know it made history and all but, personally, a classic album should be more than just decent musically.

Of couse we all have different perspectives on what a classic album really is so Come on Over sure deserves to be featured due to all his accolades.

Calvin6s

« Reply #167 on: August 09, 2015, 04:21:38 PM »
No reason to argue about the classic album status when there are hardly any rules to use to begin with.

Maybe just rename the thread KevShmev's 90s Classic Albums because classic is subjective when put to a group of people, but not to a single person.  Then we can stop debating classic status.

That said.  Shania Twain was not my cup of tea, musically.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #168 on: August 09, 2015, 05:37:03 PM »
I know it made history and all but, personally, a classic album should be more than just decent musically.

Of couse we all have different perspectives on what a classic album really is so Come on Over sure deserves to be featured due to all his accolades.

Please take this somewhere else, instead of containing to crap in both classic albums threads.  You clearly have a problem with the way I am running them, unlike everyone else, so please just stay out of them.  Thanks, bye.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #169 on: August 09, 2015, 05:54:27 PM »
Seriously? I gave some feedback in both of your threads but it's like you only have eyes for the negative ones.

And no, even after you being rude and calling my opinion "crap" i will still comment on your threads. Giving opinions isn't against the rules, or is it?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2015, 06:29:08 PM »
I've got to agree with Kev.  You're negative a lot in this thread when he's not covering the albums you love from the 80's.   This thread is fairly new and you've got to give him time to pick albums from so many genres from this decade.  He's trying to please all people. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 06:36:07 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #171 on: August 09, 2015, 06:34:46 PM »
Exactly.  Heck, I generally hate country and rap, but have featured both in these threads (and just not a token one for the hell of it).  I am trying to space them out, instead of doing all of the obvious ones at first (heck, I have done almost 70 albums in the 80s thread and just recently did The Joshua Tree!), and hit different genres.  I've gotten tons of positive feedback in the two threads and via PM, so I know that most are enjoying them a lot and going with the flow. :coolio :hat

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #172 on: August 09, 2015, 06:51:59 PM »
I've got to agree with Kev.  You're negative a lot in this thread when he's not covering the albums you love from the 80's.   This thread is fairly new and you've got to give him time to pick albums from so many genres from this decade.  He's trying to please all people.

I honestly don't think so. Point in case, Come on Over was the very first album here that i expressed a negative opinion, although i didn't condemn it being chosen ( i don't even have rights to do that since it isn't my thread). And i don't get that overreaction to the point of Kev telling me to stay out of his threads. It was like i said something offensive.

In that case, i would apologize but i don't think i did anything wrong at all  :sad:

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: August 09, 2015, 07:56:28 PM »
don't dare disrespect Shania.

ever.

EDIT: but yeah.  I don't see you as being overly negative but meh.  I enjoy these threads, and generally just stay away when I see an artist I don't like in the thread title :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #174 on: August 09, 2015, 08:29:55 PM »
Seriously? I gave some feedback in both of your threads but it's like you only have eyes for the negative ones.

And no, even after you being rude and calling my opinion "crap" i will still comment on your threads. Giving opinions isn't against the rules, or is it?

Dude, this is not the first time you've disrupted these threads with negative or disparaging comments.   It's pretty poor form to take somebody else's idea/thread and then just crap all over they way they are doing it.    Go start your own.   You've been pretty much a Debby Downer with most of your comments in these threads. 

Take it somewhere else and let the rest of us have some fun.    If you have a suggestion, Email it to Kev.   Otherwise.... play nice or get out.