Author Topic: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Matchbox Twenty)  (Read 24347 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Faith No More)
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2015, 06:20:00 AM »
Absolutely AMAZING album.   Easily FNM's best work.   It's too bad Jim really didn't care for it.   I saw them in Seattle on this tour, and he became so frustrated at one point that he simply threw down his guitar and walked off the stage.   The band had to improvise for about 5 minutes or so before he would come back out and finish the show.      It seemed clear (and he hinted in a couple interviews) that he really didn't care for Patton infusing some of the Bungle sound into FNM.   But most fans agree that the hybrid created here was nothing short of brilliant. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2015, 06:21:49 AM »
My brother loves, loves this album but I liked The Real Thing better.  Still a very good album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2015, 06:23:19 AM »
      It seemed clear (and he hinted in a couple interviews) that he really didn't care for Patton infusing some of the Bungle sound into FNM.   
Can't argue with him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2015, 06:23:47 AM »
I liked The Real Thing better

Ditto.   Still a few good tracks on this that I enjoyed.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2015, 06:28:29 AM »
Angel Dust is definitely the best FNM album. While I love The Real Thing, Patton infusing FNM with more of a Bungle vibe was what really made them awesome IMO.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2015, 06:52:53 AM »
I liked The Real Thing better

Ditto.   Still a few good tracks on this that I enjoyed.

Easily this.

Everything's Ruined and Midlife Crisis are great, a few other half ok tracks, but I didn't care for the overall direction from here.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2015, 07:19:29 AM »
Bought this when it came out, and it blew my mind. In a bad way. I wasn't in a good place mentally at that time, had a crush on someone at work which wasn't reciprocated.
I started calling her while she had a boyfriend and when I started writing lyrics from 'Midlife Crisis' on a whiteboard at work, I realised I had problems.
I loved this record from start to finish. The wild sprawling keyboard in the opener, Cafeine, smilelobber, Be Agressive, Kindergarten, Crack Hitler, Smaller and Smaller, all terrific tracks imo.
A monster of a record, in more ways then the obvious.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2015, 07:45:53 AM »
Never liked FNM.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2015, 11:26:41 AM »
Pretty good album although I've never been huge on it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2015, 12:22:41 PM »
I preferred Album of The Year - to the surprise of absolutely no-one in this thread :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2015, 01:03:27 PM »
I waiver on TRT and Angel Dust. I guess I lean more towards TRT because it is more catchy, but the best moments of Angel Dust are among the best FNM music in their catalog.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2015, 02:48:34 PM »
Faith No More were one of the first rock bands I was drawn to, and I’m still quite a fan.

But though The Real Thing, Angel Dust and King for a Day are all very good, I don’t consider any of them classics.

Calvin6s

« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2015, 03:39:38 PM »
Midlife Crisis might be my favorite FNM songs, so obviously I love this album.

Land of Sunshine is a great opener.

Never thought I would like a song like Be Aggressive, but here I am.  In love with a song that basically has a cheerleader chant feel.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2015, 04:01:38 PM »
Faith No More were one of the first rock bands I was drawn to, and I’m still quite a fan.

But though The Real Thing, Angel Dust and King for a Day are all very good, I don’t consider any of them classics.

yeah, I'd have to agree with that.  classic SONGS on all of them, but I don't think the albums as a whole are classical gas.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2015, 04:25:46 PM »
I had Angel Dust in my Top 50 Albums list. Stellar album.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2015, 05:35:08 PM »
Perfect album! This and the other FNM albums, and later the Mr Bungle ones, opened my mind when I was fourteen. My favourites these days are the most metal songs like Caffeine, smilelobber and Malpractice (this one is in my top 5 FNM' songs and was the one I took most of the time to appreciate it)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2015, 06:41:39 PM »
Is the system censoring smilelobber, or is everyone just spelling it wrong?

EDIT - OMG....   Every swear word imaginable is allowed on this forum, and the system auto corrects j-i-z-z??   That's just ridiculous....

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2015, 06:57:34 PM »
^^ For some reason, also, the word hand*egg without the * is corrected as girl.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2015, 07:01:58 PM »

A beast of a CD, from start to finish, Angel Dust is.  Faith No More is another band I got into long after their peak - I think it was about a decade ago - but this album blew my doors off when I heard it. The classic status this record has is more than obvious.  I don't listen to FNM that much these days, but when I do, Angel Dust is what I always reach for.  :coolio

Going to listen to this tonight and I'll report what I think about it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2015, 07:02:11 PM »
Fantastic record, yes sir :hefdaddy

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2015, 02:27:45 AM »

EDIT - OMG....   Every swear word imaginable is allowed on this forum, and the system auto corrects j-i-z-z??   That's just ridiculous....

Haha, didn't even notice it when I typed it....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2015, 03:19:49 AM »
Great album.

The Real Thing and especially Epic put them on the map for me, but this one took them a whole step further. Much more experimental and variety and probably therefore some misses, but when they are on they are on big time.

And here Patton ditches his kind of nasal singing he practises on TRT and really shines vocally.

On most days this is my favorite FNM record, only sometimes surpassed by King For A Day.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline LordCost

« Reply #127 on: August 05, 2015, 04:46:32 AM »

Haha, didn't even notice it when I typed it....
Me too :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2015, 07:57:14 AM »

You have the filter on.

That particular item was added to the filter when "smileed in my pants" became a common phrase.  We thought "smiled in my pants" was funnier.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Art

« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2015, 10:56:25 AM »
Angel Dust is my favorite FNM record, and easily in my top 10 of all time. Amazing stuff.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2015, 11:04:07 AM »
^^ For some reason, also, the word hand*egg without the * is corrected as girl.

There's also one other weird one which I forgot.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2015, 05:01:26 PM »

hahaha what kind of idiot shoots for j-i-z-z and lands on s-m-i-l-e

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2015, 08:45:03 PM »

yeah, I'd have to agree with that.  classic SONGS on all of them, but I don't think the albums as a whole are classical gas.
The Real Thing comes pretty close for me, as a full album. Angel Dust has some great songs but I'm not sure it's quite there as a full album. A little too inconsistent but it's still definitely is a classic, regardless of my feelings on the matter. Just too much universal praise and all that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Metallica)
« Reply #133 on: August 07, 2015, 06:28:18 PM »

Love it or hate it, Metallica's self-titled album is undoubtedly a classic.  I didn't become a Metallica fan till 1996, but I always thought "Wherever I May Roam" was awesome.  Oddly, I finally got into "Enter Sandman" when I kept hearing the intro played during puck stoppages at Blues games during the 1995-1996, a season in which we went to a lot of games.  One time I heard and thought, "Okay, this song is pretty sweet." I then borrowed my brother Mark's copy of it, and thanks to his recommendations, fell in love with the deep cuts, namely "Don't Tread on Me" and the last four songs.  To this day, I am still not wild about "The Unforgiven" or "Nothing Else Matters," even thought I totally get they were so popular and still so beloved.  Metallica isn't a favorite of mine by any stretch of the imagination, and I still prefer their 2nd and 3rd albums over this, but this album really is pretty damn good.  :metal

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2015, 06:51:58 PM »
Sad But True, The Unforgiven, and Nothing Else Matters would be among my favourite songs by the band, and there are a number of other good songs here too. Regardless of whether it's back to front brilliant, the band found a pretty neat mainstream metal sound on this one, and this was also one of the albums that caught my ear the most when I was first getting into rock music, so I have no issue with it being considered a classic.

I then borrowed my brother Mark's copy of it, and thanks to his recommendations, fell in love with the deep cuts, namely "Don't Tread on Me" and the last four songs.
Even at my most foaming at the mouth, bending down and worshipping everything Metallica ever did period, I couldn't stand the last three songs on this album. The way I see it, the band had an album finished with tracks 1-9, but weren't happy with the length, so they threw what would otherwise have been B-sides, and bad ones at that, on the end to fill it out.

Calvin6s

« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2015, 06:52:27 PM »
The last Metallica album I bought.  In fact, I don't even think I bought it, but borrowed it.  I was riding high off Lightning, Puppets and Justice, so this was a serious nosedive for me.

Sometimes I go back to stuff like this and realize I was a bit too hard on an album based off previous album bias.  But my initial reaction isn't all that different now.  And I tried hard to like this album.  I had my headphones on listening to it at work and it just didn't work for me.  Even withheld judgment to my Metallibuddies.  Can't remember which one of us broke first with "well, to be honest, I'm not really digging it" to which a chorus of "I know, right" flooded.  Once we had validation that we weren't just being musical snobs caught in our own private critique hell, we purged our frustrations.

The nail in the coffin was a high school buddy that made fun of me for liking Metallica was now telling me how great they were.  Ok.  Mr. Horrible Music Taste likes it.  Yet another validation.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #136 on: August 07, 2015, 07:25:04 PM »
A great metal album. His sin is that it came after albums like RTL, MOP and AJFA.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2015, 07:34:44 PM »
The last Metallica album I bought.  In fact, I don't even think I bought it, but borrowed it.  I was riding high off Lightning, Puppets and Justice, so this was a serious nosedive for me.

Sometimes I go back to stuff like this and realize I was a bit too hard on an album based off previous album bias.  But my initial reaction isn't all that different now.  And I tried hard to like this album.  I had my headphones on listening to it at work and it just didn't work for me.  Even withheld judgment to my Metallibuddies.  Can't remember which one of us broke first with "well, to be honest, I'm not really digging it" to which a chorus of "I know, right" flooded.  Once we had validation that we weren't just being musical snobs caught in our own private critique hell, we purged our frustrations.

The nail in the coffin was a high school buddy that made fun of me for liking Metallica was now telling me how great they were.  Ok.  Mr. Horrible Music Taste likes it.  Yet another validation.

It's like you're in my head right now.   I could have typed every word of this.   

I just remember that my band mates and I were SO PSYCHED to bring home the new Metallica album.   The video for One had exposed the band to a much bigger audience, and they seemed poised to release a brutal masterpiece of face-crushing thrash to the masses and really take thrash to the next level.    .........and then this happened. 

I think my exact reaction was, "What is this?  I can *DANCE* to this!!!  What the ****?????" 

I like Sad But True and Of Wolf and Man, and there are other songs that were OK but they slip my mind at the moment.    It's a pretty dull album overall, though the production is fantastic.     Between this and St. Anger, I prefer St. Anger.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2015, 07:38:20 PM »
Dance to it?  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #139 on: August 07, 2015, 09:03:26 PM »
I could see a slow dance to Nothing Else Matters, I suppose, but other than that, I don't see it. 

I get where jammindude is coming from - fans hate it when THEIR band becomes EVERYONE'S band - but all this shows once again is what a bitch expectations are.