Author Topic: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Matchbox Twenty)  (Read 24477 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Matchbox Twenty)
« on: July 28, 2015, 09:25:11 PM »
I remember some expressing interesting in this a while back, so here goes. I can't promise that I will give decent reviews of every album, especially since many will be from genres/subgenres that I am not wild about, but I suspect others will be able to, and this should enable us to discuss many artists that likely aren't talked about very much around here.

Similar to the 80s thread, if anyone has ideas for albums I could feature, feel free to PM them.  Again, I don't know want this to be a free-for-all where people start randomly posting albums on their own in here, but if you PM me good ones, I will bump them way up to near the head of the line. :)

Albums featured thus far:

Alice in Chains - Dirt https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44265.msg1987854#msg1987854
Alanis Morisettee - Jagged Little Pill https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44265.msg1988325#msg1988325
Jeff Buckley - Grace https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44265.msg1989263#msg1989263
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44265.msg1989914#msg1989914
Faith No More - Angel Dust https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44265.msg1990479#msg1990479
Metallica - Metallica https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44265.msg1992335#msg1992335
Shania Twain - Come On Over https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44265.msg1992816#msg1992816
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44265.msg1993467#msg1993467
Dream Theater - Images and Words https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44265.msg1994400#msg1994400
Eric Clapton - Unplugged https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44265.msg1995502#msg1995502
Nirvana - Nevermind https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44265.msg1995838#msg1995838
Wilco - Summerteeth https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44265.msg1997483#msg1997483
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44265.msg1998399#msg1998399
Pearl Jam - Ten https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44265.msg1999310#msg1999310

Away we go...

I'll begin here by saying that grunge was never my thing really at all, but in the case of Alice in Chains, they have enough of a hard rock edge to where the rock dominated more than grunge, at least on Dirt, IMO.  "Would?," "Down in a Hole," "Rooster" and "Them Bones" are all songs I enjoy a lot when I hear them, although I admittedly rarely seek them out. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 07:10:41 AM by KevShmev »

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Alice in Chains)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 12:42:31 AM »
Legendary album and one of the most consistently awesome albums start-to-finish in rock history. Layne starting off Them Bones with that iconic "I !!!" just sets the tone for the brooding heaviness that lay ahead. The low key songs, Down in a Hole and Rooster, do a fantastic job of broadening the album's overall mood. The Layne/Jerry harmonies just skyrocket the coolness of the choruses too. Too bad Godsmack had to dick ride them by using the song's name for their band.

Great thread idea, Kev, and I look forward to future albums.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 12:59:20 AM »
^ I think you've said it all! Fantastic album. I heard 'Would?' on the Singles soundtrack album (with soundgarden, pearl jam etc) and was blown away. The whole album is quality, start to finish. I was surprised by the range and broadness in styles they approached. Such a shame Staley died. His replacement does an awesome job, though. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 01:10:48 AM »
This is such a great album. This is often labeled as grunge, but this record sounds like nothing else from that period, it is so unique in it's style it should have it's own genre.

This album is dark, melancholy, depressing and heavy and the overall musicianship is much better than you would expect from a "grunge" band. Jerry Cantrell is such a great but underrated guitar player, his riffing is excellent and his solos always have that unique twist that make him so special. Layne Staley had that special voice and the harmonies with Cantrell are kind of a AiC trademark.

There are so many great songs: Them Bones, Dam That River, Rain When I Die (my personal favorite), Rooster, Dirt, Down In A Hole, Would?. And the rest ain't shabby either.

And because this is a DT forum: DT used Rooster for some concerts I've been to as introduction. The song was played over the PA and when the whole band sets in, the lights went out, DT entered the stage and when Rooster was finished they started their set.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 01:36:48 AM »
*interested*. Albums that I would feature If I was doing this thread :

Waking Up The Neighbours - Bryan Adams

(What's The Story ) Morning Glory ? - Oasis

Dookie - Green Day

Automatic For The People - REM

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 03:44:03 AM »
I'm not a huge grunge fan, but Alice in chains are an exception. This album is terrific, filled with hit singles and other insanely catchy yet slightly obscure tracks. It's definitely one of the essential 90s albums.

Would has got to be one of the biggest hits of the 90s.

It isn't my favorite album by them, though - that would be the self titled one.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 04:57:54 AM »
I'll follow, but there wasn't a lot of great, iconic albums to come out of the 90s (imo).  Of course, I'm tainted by my own personal tastes... by-and-large, I can't stand the grunge genre.  Some songs here and there I can get in to (like Rooster), but I never bought a single album from that genre/movement.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 05:54:23 AM »
I feel like yelling "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII" right now and banging my head.  Great, great album.  Nice dark harmonies and melody for such a hard rocking band.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 08:05:58 AM »
I'll follow, but there wasn't a lot of great, iconic albums to come out of the 90s (imo).  Of course, I'm tainted by my own personal tastes...

All decades since at least the 50s had lots of iconic albums but, of course, if you gonna like them or not depend only in your personal tastes.

As for Alice In Chains, not a fan but i know they are good based on this album and the Jar of Flies EP.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 08:29:14 AM »
I never considered AiC to be grunge.

Would? and Down in a Hole are tremendous tracks.  Great harmonies with Layne and Jerry throughout.  Great album.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Calvin6s

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 08:58:53 AM »
 :metal

Alice in F*cking Chains

Loved them from the word go.  Saw them live in 1991 w/ Ozzy, Lynch Mob, L.A. Guns,

And again the same year opening The Clash of the Titans w/ Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax

They were the first on both concert festivals, yet they didn't sound like a bottom tier band.

When Dirt came out, they just totally flew past the already impressive Facelift debut.  Dirt was too perfect as it became their Images and Words.  Nearly impossible to top.  And I never understood AiC's relationship to grunge.  Because they were from Seattle?

I loved the 90s so can't wait to see what pops up.  Unfortunately some of my favorite stuff from that era was not quite at the classic level.  But I considered bands like Skunk Anansie, T-Ride, Red Square Black and Fishbone as very unique artists.  Metal was really pushed in some cool (and necessary) new directions in the 90s.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 11:51:45 AM »
Legendary album and one of the most consistently awesome albums start-to-finish in rock history. Layne starting off Them Bones with that iconic "I !!!" just sets the tone for the brooding heaviness that lay ahead. The low key songs, Down in a Hole and Rooster, do a fantastic job of broadening the album's overall mood. The Layne/Jerry harmonies just skyrocket the coolness of the choruses too. Too bad Godsmack had to dick ride them by using the song's name for their band.
All of this.  One of my favorite bands ever.

Would? remains one of the greatest rock songs of all time IMHO. 

I saw AIC open up for Van Halen on the F.U.C.K. tour.  That was one hell of a show.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 11:55:32 AM »
Dirt is an awesome album and AiC are great.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 12:02:30 PM »

Would? remains one of the greatest rock songs of all time IMHO. 

if my song ratings are still accurate (I haven't listened to AiC in ages) Would? is the only song on the album that did anything for me.  On the other hand there were 4 songs on Facelift that I liked.  Man In The Box is the only song of theirs that I have ready for play in the memory banks - really like that one.

On the whole though I obviously didn't connect to them in the way many did.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 12:49:02 PM »
Great album! AiC for me is number 3 out of the Big 4 bands from the Seattle scene.

The 1990s is my teenage years, so this for me is the decade of music that resonates the most. The grunge  scene is a nice counterpoint to the musical elitism of the groups from the 1980s. I love the honesty and the angst of the lyrics. And the musicianship is great, it's just not pretentious.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 12:51:38 PM »
Great album! AiC for me is number 3 out of the Big 4 bands from the Seattle scene.

the other 3 of course being Queensryche, Metal Church and Fifth Angel  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 02:17:22 PM »

the other 3 of course being Queensryche, Metal Church and Fifth Angel  ;D
Probably not, and I've never heard of Fifth Angel.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 03:30:04 PM »
OK - Queensryche, Metal Church and Kenny G.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 04:31:13 PM »
I'll follow, but there wasn't a lot of great, iconic albums to come out of the 90s (imo). 

While I agree, there are many classic albums from that decade nonetheless, and there was much more to the 90s than alt rock and grunge, as this thread will demonstrate. :coolio

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 04:35:02 PM »
I'll follow, but there wasn't a lot of great, iconic albums to come out of the 90s (imo). 

While I agree, there are many classic albums from that decade nonetheless, and there was much more to the 90s than alt rock and grunge, as this thread will demonstrate. :coolio

I think the old fart community missed out on some great albums from the 90's.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 04:41:24 PM »

Well, this should be a learning lesson to me then.  All I know about the 90s, when it comes to music, was alt rock and grunge and I don't know too much about that other than the Big Four of Grunge.  Oh, and Foo Fighters.  That and ...., boy bands..... shudders......

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 04:59:52 PM »
I got Facelift, and actually saw AiC twice in 1991. Once at the Titans tour and once with VH. I thought they were cool enough. Facelift reminded me a bit of Armored Saint.
I never followed them after that. So I missed out on this album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 05:03:43 PM »
Well.. For example, in the 90's, there was lots of classics from genres like electronic and hip hop that may not be the cup of tea of many here, giving the illusion of "There wasn't many classics through that decade".

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 05:15:17 PM »
Well.. For example, in the 90's, there was lots of classics from genres like electronic and hip hop that may not be the cup of tea of many here, giving the illusion of "There wasn't many classics through that decade".

Your talking to a group of guys that stick to a certain style of music.  There was plenty albums even in rock that were huge.  What happens is you get a house, kids and music is in the backburner because life is too busy.  You have no time to explore.  then when the kids get older you get to search more. 

That's why most don't know the classics from the 90's.

Calvin6s

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 06:27:28 PM »
That's why most don't know the classics from the 90's.

The decade had the same problem as most decades.  There are so many great albums from the 90s.  And they might be a classic album to you, but was it a classic album to the general public?  And if you aren't listening to radio or watching MTV, you could probably be fooled into thinking an album held more sway than it really did as it is reinforced by your circle of friends.

I'm gonna toss out The Cardigans - Gran Turismo for consideration

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 06:29:50 PM »
Just so this thread doesn't get bogged down with recs and whatnot...

Similar to the 80s thread, if anyone has ideas for albums I could feature, feel free to PM them.   

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 06:30:26 PM »
The 90's were when I became a real researcher of music as it became harder to find rock music that I liked.  The radio was a waste of shelf space and I really had to hunt.  So I have lots of albums I consider 90's classics - it's just that hardly any one else I know has heard of any of them  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline j

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 06:38:26 PM »

Your talking to a group of guys that stick to a certain style of music.  There was plenty albums even in rock that were huge.  What happens is you get a house, kids and music is in the backburner because life is too busy.  You have no time to explore.  then when the kids get older you get to search more. 

These posts sum it up fairly well I think.  Plenty of great stuff from the '90s, at least as much as any other decade; I'd say more than most.  Alice in Chains is the shit.

That said, it's interesting that so many people are saying they don't consider AiC to be "grunge."  If you think about it, Nirvana is the only one of the "big 4" that actually fits the common definition of the genre.  The other three may have looked the part at times, but I'd say their music is hardly synonymous with what we call grunge, whereas Nirvana clearly embodies it.

-J

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2015, 07:15:52 PM »
Plenty of great stuff from the '90s, at least as much as any other decade; I'd say more than most.  Alice in Chains is the shit.

That's what i'm saying. Every decade has plenty of classic albums for tons of genres and subgenres but it's not like everyone has time to discover everything or try to expand their boundaries.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2015, 07:32:19 PM »
These posts sum it up fairly well I think.  Plenty of great stuff from the '90s, at least as much as any other decade; I'd say more than most.  Alice in Chains is the shit.

That said, it's interesting that so many people are saying they don't consider AiC to be "grunge."  If you think about it, Nirvana is the only one of the "big 4" that actually fits the common definition of the genre.  The other three may have looked the part at times, but I'd say their music is hardly synonymous with what we call grunge, whereas Nirvana clearly embodies it.

-J

Exactly. It's like grunge became = Nirvana. But when you listen to the other bands in the Big 4, like Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, and Pearl Jam, and even including the other bands in the periphery like Stone Temple Pilots, NONE of them sound like Nirvana. Musically, the thing they share in common is their love for Drop D tuning, but then again, Pearl Jam did not do Drop D. I think the "grunge" label is more about the attitude, the angst, that is embodied in the lyrics and the music.

Dirt is a great album, but their best song for me remains Man in the Box. The first time I heard it, I was floored by the Drop D riff.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2015, 07:34:32 PM »
I feel like I'm the only guy in the world.   

Dirt was a huge disappointment to me after the absolutely STUNNING Facelift.    There are some good things on Dirt, but I really like Sap, Jar of Flies and Facelift all far more than this album....and I don't think I listened to any of the Seattle Big 4 material at all post 1994.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2015, 07:55:37 PM »
I feel like I'm the only guy in the world.   

Dirt was a huge disappointment to me after the absolutely STUNNING Facelift.    There are some good things on Dirt, but I really like Sap, Jar of Flies and Facelift all far more than this album....and I don't think I listened to any of the Seattle Big 4 material at all post 1994.

Well, Pearl Jam is the only one who released a lot of albums post-1994, with Nirvana ending with Kurt Cobain's death, and Soundgarden and Alice in Chains releasing only one album each post-1994 before going on a long hiatus.

I think what you missed out would be Pearl Jam's reinvention of themselves, which is amazing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2015, 07:58:18 PM »
I for one did not like the, as I call it, Neil Young faze of Pearl Jam.  The last 3 albums have been great.  I also like Yield a ton.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2015, 08:19:20 PM »
Don't want to de-rail this thread too much....but I kindof gave up on grunge after it got big.    Not *because* it got big.   I was actually hoping that the Big 4 would bring all this amazing music that we had been hearing since 1988 to the masses.    But the music changed to fit what the public wanted...and when that happened, it was disappointing. 

I still think Soundgarden's glory years were Screaming Life, Ultramega OK, and their masterpiece Louder Than Love.    I was SO PSYCHED when I heard the new album was coming, and when I plopped on Badmotorfinger all I could think was...."is this it?"   :-[     Same thing with AiC that I mentioned above. 

Ironically, Nirvana did the opposite.   I loved Bleach, and I don't deny Nevermind's status.   It just surprised me when they released *less* commercially viable In Utero for it's follow up.   And I respect them for that. 

Pearl Jam was a tough sell for me from the start because I had been such a BIG Mother Love Bone fan.    When I first heard Alive, I thought it was dumb and boring.   It wasn't until I heard Evenflow, Jeremy and Black that I started to love the band.     Vs was also really good...but after that I guess I just burned out on the whole scene.   I should get caught up because I'm way behind for a local boy.

But still....this isn't grunge.    Mudhoney....THAT'S grunge. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2015, 08:28:43 PM »
I for one did not like the, as I call it, Neil Young faze of Pearl Jam.  The last 3 albums have been great.  I also like Yield a ton.

Given you sig, I can understand why you don't like that phase.  :lol

Don't want to de-rail this thread too much....but I kindof gave up on grunge after it got big.    Not *because* it got big.   I was actually hoping that the Big 4 would bring all this amazing music that we had been hearing since 1988 to the masses.    But the music changed to fit what the public wanted...and when that happened, it was disappointing. 

I still think Soundgarden's glory years were Screaming Life, Ultramega OK, and their masterpiece Louder Than Love.    I was SO PSYCHED when I heard the new album was coming, and when I plopped on Badmotorfinger all I could think was...."is this it?"   :-[     Same thing with AiC that I mentioned above. 

Is it really pandering to the masses, or maybe just the bands writing and playing what they want, and it just happened that the masses liked the music? I honestly can not view Superunknown and Dirt as "fitting" what the public wanted but more of these bands actually growing and the wider public just happening the direction their music took. Bands that grow leave their old sound behind. In the case of Soundgarden and Alice in Chains, it even lead to their hiatus because the members are growing in different directions.