Author Topic: Bolsters™ The Roulette ★THE CONCLUSION★  (Read 33198 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Bolsters™ The Roulette -ROUND 2 RESULTS, SEND ROUND 3-
« Reply #140 on: August 08, 2015, 04:37:38 AM »
Dammit.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2015, 05:02:11 AM »
Actually, I think he might get a gold star, depends on what Elite sent.

Not necessarily... just because this was the best song I've sent so far, doesn't mean it was the best of the round.  You got a goldie last round, but it was only your 2nd best song.  You could very well get the gold star again.

That's the second time out of three you've been right.

Two out of three aint bad.  Wait... he's on the banned list :neverusethis:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2015, 06:40:20 AM »
Results for the third round of the roulette. FINALLY.

Shadow Ninja 2.0 vs Evermind

Shadow Ninja 2.0
  • Santigold - The Riot's Gone
This song was a bit of a grower. At first I really only liked the percussion and wasn't too fond of the production, but it got better. The percussion starts off more low key and revolves around the bass drum and other lower-tuned drums (was there a talking drum in there too?) for the verses, and the higher tuned percussion comes to the forefront for the choruses and breakdown. This effectively makes the verses less busy and creates a change in dynamics. The ever-increasing volume of the guitarist furiously picking a note during the choruses, I liked. Vocally things weren't bad either, especially the chorus.

Anyway, this was a fine song and I liked it, but I don't feel it is as strong as the other silver star recipients thus far. Therefore I have decided to give you the first bronze star of the roulette. Congrats? :lol

Evermind
  • Mostly Autumn - Evergreen
These guys must have really, really liked the 70's. :lol I don't think there was a single thing here that didn't throwback to the era. The clean guitar during the intro sounds like something Jimmy Page might have used. There's plenty of organ going on aswell which further exemplifies the 70's rock sound. This song takes its time to build up, which isn't a bad thing as the first half of the song doesn't drag at all. However, after the halfway mark the song dragged a bit I thought, as it stayed where it was at that point, and the guitar solos seem like they were never going to end. :lol Vocally I didn't mind the female vox, but the male backing vox in the latter half of the song weren't too great. Luckily, they are short-lived.

jingle.boy vs Big Hath

jingle.boy
  • Styx - Pieces of Eight
Styx is one of those classic rock bands that slipped under my radar a bit. I'm aware of the big hits like Renegade and Come Sail Away, but I was never inclined to explore the band further. So, did you correct that mistake, or confirm that I was right in the first place? Well, I definitely think I should be checking these guys out, now.

What we have here is a solid power ballad. It's mostly dominated by piano, but the guitar comes in as necessary. I like the chorus especially, the vocals are almost Queen-like and the song reminds me a bit of Night Ranger at this point. Things get more interesting after the halfway mark though with a fantastic instrumental section leading up to the guitar solo. The first time I listened to the song I wasn't feeling it so much, until this part of the song, when I was completely sold.

I'm still not sold on DeYoung though. The intro and verses are probably the weaker points of the song and I think it has a lot to do with his vocals. I'm just not that big a fan of him in these parts, and he is the same in Come Sail Away, which is likely a reason I never bothered checking this band out more at any point over the years. I wouldn't call him bad, but I'm probably never going to be a big fan, either.

Anyway, this was a great 70's power ballad and I am definitely going to check these guys out more after the roulette.

Big Hath
  • Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories - Stay
During the first few seconds of listening, I almost considered rejecting this song. At the very beginning the first line is "You Say..." and in the space before the next line I immediately thought "I only hear what I want to". :lol But as the song progressed, I realised that I didnt actually recognise anything other than that. I tried searching online to find out if this was used in a movie or TV show that I might have watched, but my best guess is that the first part of the song was used in a TV ad or something here on Australian TV back in the 90's. Maybe an ad trying to sell the CD? :lol It was a bit bizzare actually, having one instantly recognisable part repeated throughout the song and then not knowing anything else. Or perhaps it's like Chad's Duran Duran entry where I have probably heard the song as a whole but it was so long ago that I don't remember it (or in this case, I barely remember it). Either way, it was certainly not familiar enough to me to warrant asking for something else.

The 90's was a pretty good time for female pop singer/songwriters apparently, and I am aware of a lot of them and own some compilations by some of them. Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories appear to have slipped under my radar though. No doubt because of the above, this song sounded incredibly familiar at some points but then completely foreign at others. As a whole the song is pretty serviceable. It's not actually bad at anything, but I'm not on the edge of my seat at any point of it. I think the verses are my favourite part, and Lisa Loeb has that 90's singing style going on - which is no surprise since this song is from 1994.

Scorpion vs Sacul

Scorpion
  • Infected Mushroom - Suliman
I'm quite familiar with Becoming Insane, and although I'm not normally into that sort of straightforward trance, that particular song has enough going on besides the incessant four-to-the-floor to hold my interest, although it's not something I can listen to very often. I've never felt compelled to explore IM further though, so I was curious to find out what this song was like.

This track is unsurprisingly similar in many ways to the aforementioned song. It has the same four-to-the-floor kick, it sounds like it might be at roughly the same tempo, and a lot of the ways it builds up to something is basically the same. It is perhaps too similar and too much the same (the same use of EQ sweeps, bass drops, lo-fi, and hi-hats), though. This song has some great production moments which is something that I expected since it's also a highlight of Becoming Insane. The gated vocals in the intro are really cool, the breakdown in the middle of the song is a breath of fresh air right where it's needed in an otherwise straightforward and repetitive song, and the extended guitar solo following on after helps.

Unfortunately the song is a little too much like I expected it to be, and doesn't match Becoming Insane, so it hasn't really changed my mind about looking into Infected Mushroom's music more.

Sacul
  • Janelle Monae - Cold War
I'm sure I listened to Janelle Monae at some point either last year or the year before, because of someone on DTF. I'm not sure which songs I listened to, but whatever they were, it wasn't doing it for me at the time. That was at the cusp of my interest in modern pop music though, and now that I'm listening to Taylor Swift and have Katy Perry's face as an avatar, maybe my tastes have expanded enough for me to change my mind about Janelle.

It must have been quite a while since I heard a Janelle Monae song, because this is a little different that what I was expecting. I guess I thought it would be pop with some R&B influence, but instead it's more R&B with a pop infuence. Which isn't a bad thing, but I think it might have appealed to me more had it been the other way around. Anyway, as a vocalist Janelle is great, definitely the kind of thing I like. The music she sings over, not so much. I did like it, but it wasn't all that impressive to me. The drums were a particular disappointment, as I don't like the way they're mixed, the beats are quite repetitive, and a little too "busy". The organs were really good though, probably the second best thing about the song behind Janelle's vocals. Third best, the outro.

Although I did like the song and didn't exactly dislike it, like the Ninja's submission I don't feel that it is anywhere near as strong as any of the other silver star recipients. Therefore, I am giving you the second bronze star of the roulette.

Parama vs Elite

Parama
  • Thomas Giles - Sleep Shake
This song had a little surprise for me. This song starts out pretty mellow, with some heavily delayed guitar and fairly dry, lo-fi EQed vocals. Things pick up a bit when the vocals are brought up and the drum beat begins. I never really warmed up to this section at all; it works, but it's a bit dull.

However, that somewhat surprising turn starts just after the halfway mark, when a fat synth bass begins the song's transformation into something more electronic for the chorus. I wasn't expecting it, really, and thought the song would just continue on as it had already up to that point with rock instrumentation. The song picks up even more when the "Wake Up" bit starts, which continues until the song strips everything back to the delayed guitar and a kick drum before ending.

Overall this wasn't a bad song, but I'm not getting all that excited about it when I listen to it.

Elite
  • Leprous - Forced Entry
+1 to the list of things I figured would come my way this roulette. I had heard some Leprous before, but I think only a song or two from Coal and the title track of Bilateral.

At first, this was easily the most difficult song of the bunch to get a read on. A lot of the time it's quite good, however its biggest problem I think is that it sounds like someone with Attention Defecit Disorder wrote it - it jumps wildly from one thing to the next, rarely giving any of its sections time to really establish themselves and with zero fucks given. Pretty much all of these sections sound pretty good, and it's a shame some of the more brief ones weren't given more room to breathe and stand on their own. It's better once you know the song a little better too, the first time it sounded a bit of a mess. I liked what was going on vocally at pretty much any point. Even with a bunch of listens under my belt I still don't feel like I know this song all that well, which is both good and bad I think. It's good because there is a lot of depth and things to discover here, but it's also bad because I'm supposed to form an opinion of this song in a timely manner while also trying to do the same for seven other people; this is not an easy song to "get" within just a couple of days.

However, these few drawbacks aren't huge, and I found that they bothered me less and less the more I listened to the song; this track was a huge grower. I think maybe that's why I haven't gotten into Leprous before - I listened to a song or two, but only bothered listening to them once each. I'll have to remedy that after the roulette.

I don't want to get caught up describing too much of this song, so I'm just going to throw out a few of my favourite bits.
- Really nice, frantic intro. Interesting synth sound, quite unusual, which I like.
- Verses are good. I like the clicky percussion, I like that the synth is still here but with a rather unforgiving lowpass filter on it.
- Chorus is strong vocally, especially when he goes into the falsetto. Nice chunky guitar sound too.
- Ambient sections are all good, and are a welcome change of pace in an otherwise frantic, full-on prog metal song. The one that starts around the halfway mark is a particular standout, and I like the way it builds back up for the outro.

At first you were going to lose to Parama. Then, you were going to get the star...but a bronze one. A little later, I felt you did deserve the silver. And then more recently I thought, nah...this is probably the best track I got this round, this is a gold star song. So you are very fortunate that I listened to the song as many times as I did. :lol

Ranking for this round:

Elite
jingle.boy
Big Hath
Shadow Ninja 2.0
Sacul / Evermind / Parama
Scorpion

The scoreboard as of Round 3:

Quote from: SCOREBOARD

Round 4: Spar!

Matchups for Round 4 are...

Shadow Ninja 2.0 vs Parama
jingle.boy vs Scorpion
Big Hath vs Elite
Sacul vs Evermind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Bolsters™ The Roulette -ROUND 3 RESULTS, SEND ROUND 4-
« Reply #143 on: August 08, 2015, 07:00:42 AM »
So, counting for how "valuable" each star is, Elite/Evermind are first and second, and me/Big Hath/Scrop tied for third??  The only thing I think we can all agree on, is Parama is in last. :lol

Glad you liked Styx.  DeYoung I guess is a grower vocally.  Have a go with the rest of Pieces of Eight - fantastic album and great place to start.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #144 on: August 08, 2015, 07:07:19 AM »
So, counting for how "valuable" each star is, Elite/Evermind are first and second, and me/Big Hath/Scrop tied for third??  The only thing I think we can all agree on, is Parama is in last. :lol
This is not too far off. One hint: You/Hath/Scrop are not all tied. ;)

Glad you liked Styx.  DeYoung I guess is a grower vocally.  Have a go with the rest of Pieces of Eight - fantastic album and great place to start.
Definitely. Deyoung was really my only gripe with the song and like I said I didn't really dislike him all that much. He's certainly not going to get in the way of my enjoyment of their music if this song is any indication. I was probably nitpicking a bit, really. I've got the album in my ever increasing list of Spotify playlists for when the times comes.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #145 on: August 08, 2015, 07:15:33 AM »
Thanks for listening to Forced Entry more than once :lol
I can imagine that it's insanely hard to get into when you haven't heard the band before. That said, I've heard the song more than a hundred times and I still hear new things with every listen. There's so much to that song and I think it's what makes it brilliant. It's a lot at first, but you'll recognise the different parts more easily when you get familiar with the track. I knew it was risky, but it payed off well :)

As for the stars, here's a guess:
Gold star: 5 points
Silver star: 3 points
Bronze star: 2 points
Purple star: 1 point
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: August 08, 2015, 07:30:19 AM »
The only thing you got right was their order.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2015, 08:46:47 AM »
The only thing you got right was their order.

:rollin :rollin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2015, 09:22:26 AM »
sent

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2015, 09:49:16 AM »
I've always thought the focus on that song was on her vocal lines - never payed attention to what's going on behind tbh.

Btw, do you like experimental stuff?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2015, 10:04:33 AM »
As someone just getting into Leprous, Forced Entry was the only Bilateral track that I immediately liked upon listening, though I still prefer The Valley and a lot of stuff from The Congregation  :lol

anyways sending rn, if I lose every round do I win by reverse victory?  :hat

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2015, 09:08:48 PM »
i am not sure if I should've sent the song i sent or a different one from the same artist, i was stuck between two that i like a lot ugh

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2015, 09:29:31 PM »
Btw, do you like experimental stuff?
Could be hit or miss.

i am not sure if I should've sent the song i sent or a different one from the same artist, i was stuck between two that i like a lot ugh
It was all for naught anyway, because the artist was already banned. :loser:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2015, 09:52:49 PM »
well R I P  :rollin

one of the few artists i have who doesn't even have any physical releases and they're banned anyways
(air atlantic was the other one i was thinking of tho would that have scored higher or lower)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2015, 09:58:48 PM »
Kind of expected that.

Alright, I won't be sending before I get home, which should happen in two days from now on. Sorry folks.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2015, 09:59:39 PM »
Sent some experimental art-pop with drone ;D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2015, 03:15:07 AM »
Alright, I won't be sending before I get home, which should happen in two days from now on. Sorry folks.

No problem at all (at least for me). I'm on holiday anyway. I just sent :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2015, 07:43:49 AM »
(air atlantic was the other one i was thinking of tho would that have scored higher or lower)
Out of those two songs, you probably made the right choice.

No problem. I've been getting through the rounds pretty quick so far, extending this one by a couple of days will probably help me out a bit anyway.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #158 on: August 11, 2015, 04:07:27 AM »
How are we doing here? :)
Squ

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: August 11, 2015, 04:47:25 AM »
One person still hasn't sent, but he has a legitimate reason for not having done so. I've listened to the other 7 songs a few times already though, some good stuff in here.

No approximate deadline because I don't know when exactly I'll be getting that last song.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Bolsters™ The Roulette -ROUND 4 ONGOING-
« Reply #160 on: August 11, 2015, 06:02:49 AM »
Writeups are pretty much done for those seven, so I don't see any reason not to post the tidbits.

"The keyboard sounds are cheesy as absolute fuck for the mostpart though, they sound really cheap and the song could have been better had they been of higher quality, but some managed to work well enough."

"I like the electric guitar here, where the guitarist starts off palm muting but slowly raises his hand from the strings, allowing the riff to come to life free of muting."

"The track meanders around rather pointlessly for its entire duration, and there are a lot of random noises, distortion/feedback, and abnormal vocalisations."

"However at the half way point things get significantly better. The song slows down a little after that and remains pretty good - probably because the song is slower paced, the drums/guitar aren't playing as rapidly, the vocals are far more interesting, and the song grooves a whole lot more."

"The first three quarters of this song: It's orchestral bliss. I like orchestral stuff, violins and cellos being particular favourites, and there is plenty of great stuff from these instruments here. I also like the inclusion of acoustic guitar with orchestral instrumentation, and there is some nice steelstring playing accompanying the orchestra."

"This song made a good first impression. The first thing that stood out was the production; someone in the Youtube comments said it was "tasty as fuck" and I'd have a hard time disagreeing with that. The acoustic guitars and the drums especially sound great, love the cymbal sound, and the slightly raw vocal sound works in this song aswell."

"The heavier part in the second half of the song is strong aswell, although I don't like the overly-screamy vocals here at all. Fortunately this style isn't utilised outside of this section and only for a few stanzas - had this been a more prominent style throughout the song I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much."

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: August 11, 2015, 07:16:31 AM »
"The keyboard sounds are cheesy as absolute fuck for the mostpart though, they sound really cheap and the song could have been better had they been of higher quality, but some managed to work well enough."

Mine, all mine.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #162 on: August 11, 2015, 07:53:18 AM »

Mine, all mine.
Obviously! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: August 11, 2015, 07:59:57 AM »
Sorry guys, it's me who's holding up everyone. But now I'm home and ready to win against whoever I'm playing this round.

Will send in a few minutes.

Edit: sent! This should be enough to provide me at least a pink star, but you never know.

The track meanders around rather pointlessly for its entire duration, and there are a lot of random noises, distortion/feedback, and abnormal vocalisations.

This must be either Parama, Shadow Ninja or Sacul. They love this stuff. :lol
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:11:10 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #164 on: August 11, 2015, 08:35:34 AM »
Alright, here's the scoop. I'll listen to Evermind's song a bit now and then go to bed. Tomorrow afternoon when I get the chance, I'll listen to it some more, and probably a few of the other songs aswell. I will likely post results at that point, unless I need to mull over my decision a bit, in which case I'll post later that evening. So let's say...about 16-18 hours from this post.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: August 11, 2015, 08:37:34 AM »
The track meanders around rather pointlessly for its entire duration, and there are a lot of random noises, distortion/feedback, and abnormal vocalisations.

Coincidentally, that's what you're up against.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #166 on: August 11, 2015, 08:41:41 AM »
"However at the half way point things get significantly better. The song slows down a little after that and remains pretty good - probably because the song is slower paced, the drums/guitar aren't playing as rapidly, the vocals are far more interesting, and the song grooves a whole lot more."
yeah this is mine but i'm sad because that implies that the first half isn't as good, which is untrue >:T

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: August 11, 2015, 09:01:40 AM »
Alright, here's the scoop. I'll listen to Evermind's song a bit now and then go to bed. Tomorrow afternoon when I get the chance, I'll listen to it some more, and probably a few of the other songs aswell. I will likely post results at that point, unless I need to mull over my decision a bit, in which case I'll post later that evening. So let's say...about 16-18 hours from this post.

No need to rush.  Give it all the time it requires.  You're running a good pace, so a couple of extra days to give Ruslan's entry the requisite attention it deserves is ok by me.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #168 on: August 11, 2015, 12:12:43 PM »
I have no idea which of these todbits is mine. They all don't really make sense with the song I sent, perhaps in context of the rest of the write-up it will.
Squ

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2015, 01:24:52 PM »
"The track meanders around rather pointlessly for its entire duration, and there are a lot of random noises, distortion/feedback, and abnormal vocalisations."
This is mine!  :lol :facepalm:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #170 on: August 11, 2015, 02:30:50 PM »

I take this as a compliment. :lol

It's not mine, though. Almost completely certain the last one is mine.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: August 11, 2015, 02:50:14 PM »

I take this as a compliment. :lol
Same here  :biggrin: . But I don't really think it meanders at all, more like evolving constantly, adding new effects and layers of sounds. It's a great track that I dunno why I thought Bolsters would dig  :rollin

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #172 on: August 11, 2015, 02:54:13 PM »
ok good i lost to shadow ninja too, only three more rounds left to lose

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #173 on: August 11, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »
It's probably the second one.
Squ

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #174 on: August 12, 2015, 02:52:55 AM »
Personal ranking time.

Shadow Ninja 2.0
  • Steam Powered Giraffe - Brass Goggles
  • ???