Author Topic: Bolsters™ The Roulette ★THE CONCLUSION★  (Read 33184 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
pretty sure the one about a cappella stuff is mine

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
"One thing that I really like about this song is the way it builds. Starting off with just piano and softly spoken vocals the song slowly creeps up in pace and dynamics"

This seems like my song indeed. Starting slowly with the majestic piano riff and then descends into madness with some harsh and borderline growl vocals and weird flute inclusions here and there.
Why the hell didn't you send this one in my roulette instead of power metal?  :angry:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
"One thing that I really like about this song is the way it builds. Starting off with just piano and softly spoken vocals the song slowly creeps up in pace and dynamics"

This seems like my song indeed. Starting slowly with the majestic piano riff and then descends into madness with some harsh and borderline growl vocals and weird flute inclusions here and there.

Oh, and if I recall correctly, Elite should know this one indeed. He's the one who's sending it in a lot of roulettes.

Is that so?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Alright, I feel that I've given all of the songs plenty of listens, and I've managed to type out a whole lot more than I had planned to or thought that I would want to. Although my writeups still kind of suck. So, here are the results for Round 1.

Shadow Ninja 2.0 vs Sacul

Shadow Ninja 2.0
  • Steam Powered Giraffe - Brass Goggles
Before I started listening to the songs, I thought I'd do a bit of reading about what I'd already been sent while I waited for more people to submit. Being the first to do so, the band of your submission was unsurprisingly the first that I looked into. Upon loading up the band's Last.fm page and noticing that the most popular tags for this artist were things like steampunk and fedoracore, my initial reaction was along the lines of "I don't know what that means. What the hell has he sent me?" :lol Photos of the band didn't really help much, either. I definitely knew it would be strange, I knew it would probably be fun to listen to, and I had an idea of what vaudeville is - but beyond that, I was not really sure what to expect.

And that's pretty much what I got - it's perhaps not as strange as I was expecting (that could be a good thing, though), but it's certainly a fun song. That musical theatricality is quite strong, and I think the piano especially invokes the 1800's in both its style and that honky-tonk sound. I think where the song shines the most though is in its vocal performances. Besides being fond of their voices, I'm a fan of good harmonies, I'm definitely a fan of well-constructed counterpoint, I'm a fan of acapella sections - and this song has plenty of all of those things, done well.

I still don't really know what the fuck fedoracore is supposed to mean, but I think I might like it.

Sacul
  • Burial - Raver
I have to be honest, I had a hard time with this song. While I do listen to some electronic music, I am generally much harder to please when listening to those genres. Unfortunately, this song epitomises a lot of the things I don't like about most electronic music. It's quite repetitive, it has only one drum beat which, while not too dull, is not all that interesting, and the song is lazily produced - the hi-hats (I did notice there are several) for example are very plain, they have identical velocity every time and there is no pattern to them so they are basically a metronome. I'm not sure what the crackling was meant to do - I don't mind that sort of thing, but in this song it seemed a little overbearing. I find it especially disappointing that the song was released in 2007 because the production sounds like a subpar 90's electronic track at best.

So that this isn't completely negative (sorry about that :(), the lo-fi, almost mellotron-like strings weren't too bad, and the various sound effects I thought were utilised well, which is rarely the case when there's a lot of different ones popping up all throughout the song. But overall, I'm afraid that this song has failed to hit the mark...big time.

jingle.boy vs Elite

jingle.boy
  • Duran Duran - The Reflex
First off, I just have to say that this isn't at all the kind of thing I expected you to send. :lol I'm familiar with a couple of Duran Duran songs (like probably everyone is), but to the best of my recollection, this isn't one that I know. I probably would have heard it before - I used to listen to the radio and watch music videos on TV when I was a kid, and this song was a #1 hit only a year before I was born. I'm actually surprised that I didn't recognise it to be honest, but I guess it was a really long time ago that I was listening to this kind of stuff. I'm still familiar with songs such as Hungry Like The Wolf and Come Undone - which would have been banned had you sent them, along with a couple of other Duran Duran songs.

You need not have been concerned about my reaction to something like this, either - I listened to this stuff when I was younger because I liked it. This kind of thing might sound foreign and strange and could be a little hard to swallow for some of the people on this forum younger than yourself (which is a hell of a lot of people :jingleboy:), but to me it's none of those things. I get that feeling of nostalgia from music like this too, as it's what I grew up with.

Unsurprisingly, this song screams 80's. It has that bouncy bassline, the funky electric guitars, and some soft keys fleshing out the sound. The first half of each verse and the chorus all plays to these strengths and vocally it's great. The vox in the second half of each verse (starting with the line "Why don't you use it") and in a couple of other parts of the song I didn't like so much, due to the whiney, almost nasal timbre the singer's voice takes on, which I found a little grating. But I'm probably just nitpicking at this point, really. The production is outstanding aswell, like a lot of stuff was back in the 80's.

All in all, a good submission. I should at the very least buy a compilation album of these guys.

Elite
  • Lesoir - Flawless Chemistry
As you so keenly deduced, I do infact like heavy music and female voices. So this appears as though it was a rather strategic choice by the looks of it, no doubt due to who you were up against for this particular round. ;)

Instrumentally, I liked what was going on. The combination of the drone-like organ playing in the lower register and the fast-paced string samples worked, and I liked the slightly minimalist approach to the drums throughout the song, which I think helped to give it more of an orchestral feel than a rock or metal one. There's some good stripping away of elements and building the song back up aswell. Criticisms include a pretty average production (fair warning, I can be a bit of a production-whore at times) and the vocalist, while good enough most of the time was not great - she lacked any real power in her voice (which I felt could have really added a lot to the song) and there were a few notes here and there where she flubbed it a bit.

Overall I'd say this song was good, but not great; I liked it, but nothing blew me away. You're in the right ballpark though.

Big Hath vs Parama

Big Hath
  • Devin Townsend Project - Supercrush!
I probably heard something from Devin Townsend long before this, but I do know that I recently (as of last year) listened to some of his music when the discography thread was started. I listened to and did not mind Ocean Machine (which is why you had to resubmit), but I never even got around to listening to it a second time. I followed up that album with his next, Infinity, but I didn't really like that one at all. I think someone posted in the discography thread that people new to Devin's music should continue listening after Infinity, and I was going to, but I didn't bother for some reason.

This song makes a really good first impression. The crunchy single-chord introduction reminds me a little of The Mirror. Vocally the song starts off strong aswell, with a juxtaposition of high-pitched aaah's and subtle, slightly aggressive yelling in the background. This prevails throughout the song, but with Devin and her alternating between being lead and backing each other up. I wasn't expecting female vox at all, but I liked the combination of hers and Devin's vocals in the song, besides just having Devin himself alternate between cleaner and screamier vocals (which he still does anyway). Also it's Anneke. :heart One thing I consistently have liked about what little of Devin's music I have heard, is the vocals. My very first introduction to him was The Human Experiment and I like his performance on that album aswell. This song is varied sufficiently, too - while it mostly conforms to the verse-chorus-verse structure, the song breaks free of this in places and introduces new things. I also liked the drumming, in particular the little cymbal bursts in the section after the three minute mark.

Parama
  • Bodies Of Water - Under The Pines
Like Elite's song, this was not bad, but I wasn't blown away, and you had some stiff competition this round. The introduction with the repetitive organ jumping up and down reminded me of...something, but I could never quite put my finger on what. There's a lot in this song that reminds me of a 70's rock style - the bass and vocals especially, but also the guitar a bit - but it doesn't mimic the style too much to the point that I think the band is trying too hard to achieve the sound or that I think the song sounds unoriginal. The drumming in particular has a more modern indie rock vibe to it I think, and so the song is more of a blend of modern indie rock with some older rock influence - which is good, because most of the indie rock I've heard (which admittedly is not all that much) is usually either one or the other. The bass was another highlight throughout the song, with some good basslines and I liked the synthyness of it in the intro and the slightly overdriven sound in the rest of the song. Vocally the chorus didn't appeal to me all that much, but I otherwise enjoyed the up and down scat parts and the unison between the two vocalists during the verses.

Scorpion vs Evermind

Scorpion
  • Amorphis - Sampo
As I mentioned, I have listened to these guys before, and I believe it was not long after I first signed up to DTF, back in 2011. Which song or songs I listened to or why I didn't move forward and listen to more, I don't even remember. :lol Listening to this song, I can't figure out what the problem was. Put simply, this song is pretty friggin' good, so maybe I listened to the wrong song or my tastes at the time had not expanded enough for this to make the cut.

Anyway, this song...It's heavy, but it isn't excessive in its heaviness. It also counterpoints the heavier sections with beautiful, melodic passages rife with pianos and strings, and a little bit of mellotron aswell. There was also a synth solo which I wasn't expecting, adding to the aural combinations the song provides. There's a lot those big, fuzzy guitar chords for depth and texture but some good riffage when it's needed, particularly in the latter half of the track. Overall this song is very Opeth-esque, but with more variety in the instrumentation and less emphasis on being heavy.

Vocally, I was a fan of everything although the harsh vocals towards the end were borderline. While I do listen to and like music with harsh vocals, I can be pretty hard (even almost impossible) to please where they are concerned. The harsh vocals in this song were more guttural which I generally don't like. But, they didn't detract from the song at all, which is a good indication of how strong a submission this was. So much so that you've managed to nab the first gold star of the roulette, infact. :tup

Evermind
  • Pain of Salvation - Iter Impius
Pain of Salvation is a band I was 100% certain someone would send, and yet another band I have listened to several years ago. When I was first getting into progressive metal around 2003 or so, Pain of Salvation was one of the earliest examples of the genre that I listened to. At the time Remedy Lane was their latest album, so I listened to a few songs from that (no idea which ones). Whatever I listened to never clicked though, so I didn't bother exploring the band any further. Several years later, likely due to the influence of this forum, I sampled a track or two from one of the Road Salts (not sure which one) but again, nothing clicked. This is also why I opted to leave bands like Pain of Salvation out of my banned list; I might not have been in the right frame of mind back then, or my tastes have changed enough since that my opinion could today be completely different, or maybe I would like some albums and not others.

One thing that I really like about this song is the way it builds. Starting off with just piano and softly spoken vocals the song slowly creeps up in pace and dynamics, adding strings and cymbals before it gets to the 1:30 minute mark, where it all drops away sans the vocalist, before the instruments come back in one by one building to a great moment just before 2:00 where all the drums kick in, and the violins break free and take off in an ascending and then slowly descending run - probably my favourite part of the song right there. The song continues to become more aggressive after this, the vocals especially, which I wasn't too fond of towards the end of the track. But musically it remained strong, I dug the addition of a flute during the final minute or so of the band rocking out.

So, there we have the conclusion to Round 1. In all, it was a strong round and I'm impressed that submissions were so strong right from the beginning. A couple of the songs that weren't in a position to earn stars, I'm probably going to investigate further after the roulette anyway. I'm slightly optimistic about the rest of this roulette now -  don't disappoint me.

I hadn't planned on doing this, but I thought a ranking of each round might be something you guys were interested in, so you can see how you did against all of the other players and not just your competitor for the round. Since this has no bearing on anything, there may be ties. Round 1 looked something like this:

Scorpion
Evermind / Big Hath
Shadow Ninja 2.0 / jingle.chad
Parama
Elite
Sacul

Finally, here are the scores so far. It'll be obvious for the first few rounds who is currently on top, but I'm hoping that as the roulette goes on and a bunch of different stars are earned by each of you, this becomes less clear. I have no intention of revealing the point values of each star before the end of the roulette, but feel free to speculate or argue amongst yourselves about who is performing better than who. :neverusethis:

Quote from: SCOREBOARD

Round 2: En Garde!

Here's who each of you is fighting to the deathplaying against in the next round:

Shadow Ninja 2.0 vs Elite
jingle.boy vs Evermind
Big Hath vs Scorpion
Parama vs Sacul
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:55:29 AM by Bolsters »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Bolsters™ The Roulette -ROUND 1 RESULTS, SEND ROUND 2-
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2015, 07:26:47 PM »
Last place yay  :rollin

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2015, 07:52:02 PM »
oh well  :lol
i can't be pissed losing to devin townsend anyways
also rip the pain of salvation entry, certainly a good one

and if you really like heavy which you apparently do I can definitely tailor a few entries in that direction

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2015, 08:18:43 PM »
sent

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2015, 10:35:35 PM »
1 down; 6 to go.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2015, 11:38:20 PM »
alright, glad you enjoyed that one.  Go back and listen to the song I sent from Ocean Machine, I think you'll like it as well.

Great, now I'm up against last rounds overall winner!  Round 2 sent.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2015, 12:33:10 AM »
which ocean machine song did you send, out of curiosity?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2015, 01:42:20 AM »
I lost to the freaking Reflex!? :lol my god, that song sends me back to my childhood holidays in France!

Okay, this will be interesting next, I'll have to delve a little into my music collection to find stuff that's not on the banned list.
Also, Evermind, you stole my favourite PoS song, but that's alright :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2015, 03:04:09 AM »

And I still lost the round. Fuck you Scorp. :lol I'll get you in Buddyhunter's though.

I think I know what to send in Round 2, and if it doesn't get rejected... well, that will be the first loss for you, Chad.

Edit: sent! I'm 90% sure it'll be rejected though.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 03:37:49 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2015, 04:01:33 AM »
Da Reflex!  Fuck yeah! You got some big fucking balls Chad.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2015, 06:09:52 AM »
which ocean machine song did you send, out of curiosity?

Life
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2015, 06:24:38 AM »
alright, glad you enjoyed that one.  Go back and listen to the song I sent from Ocean Machine, I think you'll like it as well.
I should probably listen to the whole album again, really. But I am going to start with Addicted and then move on to the other Project albums, first. Although I decided not to listen to any albums as a result of this roulette until it's over. I've got a heap of things bookmarked on Spotify already though, for when the time comes.

And I still lost the round. Fuck you Scorp. :lol I'll get you in Buddyhunter's though.
Yeah, you got boned kind of hard here unfortunately. :lol Yours and Big Hath's songs were also contenders for the gold star, but Big Hath at least got away with a silver seeing as he was in another matchup.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2015, 07:16:12 AM »
Alright, my song got rejected so Chad still has a chance to win I guess. :angel:

Sent another one.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2015, 07:23:38 AM »
Alright, my song got rejected so Chad still has a chance to win I guess. :angel:
You never know, the second one might be better - that was the case for Big Hath last round, and it paid off for him.

Chad will probably be disappointed you sent what you did - before the roulette began, I was pretty sure this band would be one of the things he would send me, and I'm almost positive he would have had them in mind - he has over 1,000 scrobbles of their songs on Last.fm. So, I think it will be especially frustrating for jingle.chad if you do win here. :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2015, 08:24:57 AM »
I lost to the freaking Reflex!? :lol my god, that song sends me back to my childhood holidays in France!

Da Reflex!  Fuck yeah! You got some big fucking balls Chad.

Chad will probably be disappointed you sent what you did - before the roulette began, I was pretty sure this band would be one of the things he would send me, and I'm almost positive he would have had them in mind - he has over 1,000 scrobbles of their songs on Last.fm. So, I think it will be especially frustrating for jingle.chad if you do win here. :biggrin:

Pretty certain I can guess who it would be - based on who I've got 1000+ scrobbles for, and who isn't on your banned list.  No problem though.  Now I just gotta figure out how I want to compete.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2015, 08:25:43 AM »
It's no big secret or anything. It's in my signature.

Oh, and if Chad wins, I guess I would be the king of pink stars. Because this song should get me at least that.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 08:31:44 AM by Evermind »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
jingle.boy
WTF is this?
I know a place you'd be thrown out of for submitting this! :lol

:roulettewhore[/list]
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2015, 06:10:25 PM »
It's called knowing your audience.  I got a star, didn't I?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2015, 10:19:18 PM »
All but 2 submissions received so far.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2015, 04:41:23 AM »
Ok, made my selection.  Sending momentarily.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2015, 05:55:09 AM »
Just waiting on the arachnid to send now.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2015, 10:36:33 AM »
Not anymore.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2015, 07:41:07 AM »
Elite posting from his holiday destination! Results when? :)
Squ

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2015, 07:47:54 AM »
Elite posting from his holiday destination! Results when? :)
I was typing up the following post just as you replied, explaining that. ;)

Results for Round 2 will be up tomorrow. I definitely need to give some of these songs a few more listens and fix up the writeups. As last time though, have some early tidbits:

"This song is perhaps slightly more bland, since it doesn't really have as much variety in the dynamics, and the vocals were not as strong. Even after having listened to it about 6-8 times, I still find it largely forgettable."

"Instrumentation in this song is good - from the soft piano chords spaced apart that are allowed to sustain and decay, to the slightly energetic broken acoustic guitar chords, the violins that fill up all the empty space in the mix, and the minimalistic, almost marching-band-like snare rolls...this is a well constructed and beautiful sounding folk ballad."

"But there was nothing about this track that really stood out, that made me think "fuck, why wasn't I listening to these guys before? Why aren't I listening to more of it right now?""

"The attitude of the vocalist during a lot of this song was probably the thing that most gave this song a slight punk feel - she's got that distinct attitude in her pronunciation."

"I also like the overdriven sound - when playing softly the notes are (mostly) clean, but then as he strikes notes harder they become really fuzzy."

"I'm not a musician, but it sounds like it might be sevenths, which gives the riff an almost dissonant sound and, along with the time signature and changing drum patterns, this creates a nice staccato, almost frantic feel."

"The song lets up during the first part of each verse, keeping it simple with a drum beat, softer strings and the lead vox, and its brief instrumental section is on the mellow side aswell, but it's otherwise competely brazen and unrelenting with its balls-to-the-wall attitude."

"While this can be at times a somewhat beautiful song, for me it's a bit same-y overall and I think it drags on for a bit too long."

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2015, 07:57:04 AM »
I almost forgot to post this. Since everybody else is doing it and I've succumbed to peer pressure, here is how each of your submissions ranks against the others. I'll probably post this with the tidbits so that the results posts can be a little shorter.

Shadow Ninja 2.0
  • Steam Powered Giraffe - Brass Goggles
  • ???

jingle.chad
  • ???

Big Hath
  • Devin Townsend Project - Supercrush!
  • ???

Parama
  • Bodies Of Water - Under The Pines
  • ???

Scorpion
  • Amorphis - Sampo
  • ???

Sacul
  • ???
  • Burial - Raver

Evermind
  • Pain of Salvation - Iter Impius
  • ???

Elite
  • ???
  • Lesoir - Flawless Chemistry
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 08:15:53 AM by Bolsters »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2015, 08:44:33 AM »
The second bit is mine, for sure - I hope the last one isn't  :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2015, 08:45:37 AM »
The second bit is mine, for sure - I hope the last one isn't  :lol
There's one tidbit from each song there - so you're good. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2015, 09:41:38 AM »
not: 1, 2, 4, 6, 7
this round as a whole from these tidbits seems disappointing to you though  :lol
it'll probably be #3 but i'm sad

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2015, 09:50:35 AM »
not: 1, 2, 4, 6, 7
this round as a whole from these tidbits seems disappointing to you though  :lol
it'll probably be #3 but i'm sad
Nope, yours is not #3.

I guess this round was a little disappointing compared to the first, sure. As the rankings indicate, only two people managed to best their first submission (although one came really really really close)...and let's face it, Sacul had nowhere to go but up anyway. :D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2015, 09:51:32 AM »
i get why oceansize doesn't ever tend to do well in roulettes but it's sad because they're actually the best band ever

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2015, 10:18:15 AM »
Mine could be first, third and fourth.