Author Topic: Bolsters™ The Roulette ★THE CONCLUSION★  (Read 33587 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Bolsters™ The Roulette ★ROUND 5 RESULTS IN, SEND ROUND 6★
« Reply #280 on: August 20, 2015, 07:02:26 PM »
I would say more keyboards / piano driven songs over the guitar driven ones, and if there's some unusual instrument like violin, cello or a flute / clarinet it's all for the best. At least that's what I figured.
I'm into guitars more than any other instrument, without a doubt. You're right that I tend to appreciate non-typical instrumentation though.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Bolsters™ The Roulette ★ACCEPTING ROUND 7 SUBMISSIONS★
« Reply #281 on: August 21, 2015, 03:52:53 AM »
Round 6 results.

Shadow Ninja 2.0 vs jingle.boy

Shadow Ninja 2.0
  • Sarah Fimm - Walk Away
This was a nice ballad. The instrumentation is kept simple, with the song being driven mostly by the vocals and piano, with the addition of a bass and some electronic beats. It was perhaps a little on the bland side however, as there isn't a lot of variety here, especially the beat (singular) which is the same throughout the entire song. Vocally I thought Ms. Fimm was capable but not great; I could hear the lack of confidence in her voice.

Nice song, but not enough to beat your opponent.

jingle.boy
  • Mystery - Pride
You are right, this is definitely more your wheelhouse, and more along the lines of what I thought I would be receiving from you in this roulette.

So, this is basically just a well constructed, enjoyable neo-prog track. It is sufficiently epic, and there's some rocking out. It's a longer song, so I'm going to go with more of a bullet point approach (similar to what I did for Elite's Leprous song) to talk about a few of the things I liked because I think that will be an easier post to construct.

- Nice intro that wastes no time getting into the thick of things. The clean guitar sounds good here, and the distorted rhythm guitar isn't far behind. I like the alternating between riffing and the big chords, then leaving space for the clean guitar before starting up again. This technique along with the vocalist's singing style reminds me of Rush quite a bit.
- The drumming throughout the song is strong; it's interesting and busy, without being too technical. Bass playing is similar.
- I like the subtle things going on in the background with the percussion during the more peaceful section starting around the 3:30 mark.
- Love the build up of that section into the guitar solo and how the drumming comes in proper again at the same time.
- The big epic close to the song that I'd expect from something like this is here.

It doesn't really bring anything new to the table, but it's an enjoyable track. A star is you.

Big Hath vs Sacul

Big Hath
  • Fair to Midland - Walls of Jericho
You know, I think your idea of taking stars away was a good one. :lol There wasn't much in this song that I liked. The clean, almost funky guitar during the verses was alright. The drumming was decent.

What I didn't like...the vocalist is #1. He has an annoying nasal sound during the verses, and while he starts of alright at first in the chrous, his voice takes on a more grating whiney sound towards the end. There were some parts where he sings very softly that were alright though. The song is incredibly bland, the guitar playing and song structure especially. Nothing about this song is able to hold my interest.

Sacul
  • Mastodon - The Motherload
Mastodon is a band that had been on my radar, and I am pretty sure I looked into them some years ago. I was under the impression before listening to this song that it was going to be more extreme; a lot heavier, harsh/scream vocals, maybe some blastbeats...all that sort of stuff. So I was (pleasantly) surprised when it wasn't like that at all. Perhaps this song/album is more toned down or I'm just remembering the band's music incorrectly?

Anyway, while this wasn't a bad song by any means, it was fairly same-y and repetitive. The song starts off full-on and stays that way the entire time, no breathing room or change in dynamics at all. The riff in the verses is okay, but nothing great and the chorus is quite dull. The instrumental section is one of the better parts of the song but still nothing all that special. I'm not impressed by the vocals at any point in the song either. The production is so-so, being muddy at times and being grating at others (like at 3:34, the tone of both the lead and rhythm guitars).

You mentioned your desire to send more straightforward stuff, but I think this time you've overshot and gone way too far in that direction. Your song was barely better than the one Big Hath sent, but since I didn't really like it all that much, you're getting a bronze.

Parama vs Evermind

Parama
  • Kimbra - Come Into My Head
This is certainly one of the more unique things I've received so far. It's like soul music with 80's hip hop beats and sound effects. This was another track that was quite repetitive throughout, again bolstered (:neverusethis:) by having the same beat throughout the entire song. The vocalist was annoying a lot of the time but decent at others, though never approaching a performance that stands out in a positive way. There were a few scat parts here and there, some of which I found annoying (3:04 being the prime example).

Yeah, so...overall, I was not impressed.

Evermind
  • IQ - The Road of Bones
I'm sure I have heard a couple of IQ songs before, but like many things I gave them a pass at the time. I was fairly certain this song was not one of them, so let's see if my mind can be changed yet again.

The intro is quite good, with a simple droning note carrying things while some strings flesh it all out. The laid-back piano and soft vocal style appeals to me also, especially when the string section comes back in. The bass sounds quite good and I like this section where it drives the song with the drums. The little licks the bass player throws in now and then are great. It's epic as fuck once the strings return. The marimba is a unique and welcome addition aswell. Approaching the six minute mark, things get heavier. There's a nice synth build up before the band starts rocking out, and the strings take on a slightly mellotron-like, lo-fi sound. The key change (at least I think it's one?) around 7:40 is a nice changeup. I think my only real criticism is that the song easily could have been longer; it's eight and a half minutes and yet it somehow seems too short, it left me wanting more.

This was a strong submission, and I enjoyed it immensely. RJ would be proud. :tup

Scorpion vs Elite

Scorpion
  • Steve Rothery - Morpheus (feat. Steve Hackett)
Instrumental stuff has a tendancy to be a bit hit or miss with me, especially when it's a guitarist's solo album or whatever. So I was curious to see whether this song would hit the mark or not.

The song starts off nicely, with a serene soundscape. The clean guitar that starts after a minute and a half or so sounds pretty good, as do the lead licks. The lead melodies that drive the song once it starts proper are good - there's no virtuosity or showing off here, it's purely about the melodies and playing "for the song" which is a big plus. Things only get better as the song progresses and the dynamics build, and the introduction of a piano was inevitable (but welcomed). As the song builds in dynamics, I'm getting major 70's vibes - from the lead guitar especially, but the intermittent organ playing enhances this effect.

So yes, I generally have a harder time getting into guitar instrumentals, but this whole song is full of great melodic, tasteful playing, and does a great job building up to its climax. So well done.

Elite
  • Thrice - Daedalus
Continuing with the alternative route I see, and a band that I don't recall listening to before.

This is a pretty raw, almost "live-in-the-studio" kind of song. It starts out with the drummer smacking his sticks together to count in the beginning of the song after which it starts properly and at first is good, with some twangy clean guitars playing broken chords. The vocalist has a very alternative/grunge kind of singing style which isn't bad but doesn't resonate with me all that much. The song is on the repetitive side and all of the sections kind of blur together a bit, even the instrumental section after the second chorus doesn't offer much of anything in the way of change. There's quite a bit of distortion on vocals during the climax of the song, which I don't think was executed all that well; it almost sounds unintentional, but I'm not sure.

This is not a bad song but it's easily your weakest, and so Scrop has finally put an end to your winning streak here.

This was a pretty mixed round. A couple of people who have been struggling manage to impress enough to win stars, but a few others only managed to dig themselves deeper. Elite's winning streak has finally ended. Evermind impresses yet again and achieves a third gold star - and remains the only contestant so far who has multiple. Last round I mentioned that Parama was the only person statistically unable to win, but now some more have joined him...I'll leave you all to speculate about how many people and who they might be.

Songs of the round ranked:

Evermind
jingle.boy
Scorpion
Shadow Ninja 2.0
Elite
Sacul
Big Hath
Parama

Quote from: SCOREBOARD

Round 7: The Final Battle!

Shadow Ninja 2.0 vs Scorpion
jingle.boy vs Parama
Big Hath vs Evermind
Sacul vs Elite

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: August 21, 2015, 04:20:21 AM »
Who needs them silver stars when you can get gold ones?

Alright, I just need to send something to earn one more gold star and I think that will secure the win for me. In fact I have one song in mind, will think about it and send soon.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #283 on: August 21, 2015, 04:30:57 AM »
I'm not sure about the 'Air' EP, bit the 'Earth' EP by Thrice is definitely recorded live in the studio. It's a shame you didn't like it, for I think it's a great track. I reckon I'm still statistically able to win, so I'll do my best to nail this final round.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: August 21, 2015, 04:41:44 AM »
I'm not sure about the 'Air' EP, bit the 'Earth' EP by Thrice is definitely recorded live in the studio. It's a shame you didn't like it, for I think it's a great track. I reckon I'm still statistically able to win, so I'll do my best to nail this final round.

I reckon you might be in the lead now. For all we know, the gold star is worth only one point more than silver, and the pink star equals 0.1 point.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #285 on: August 21, 2015, 04:46:08 AM »
The pink star is rather low in value compared to the gold, but I assure you it's worth more than that. :lol

I think you guys will be surprised at their values, actually.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #286 on: August 21, 2015, 05:30:40 AM »
I'm certain I'm statistically eliminated from any chance of victory - which is fine, Ruslan, Rich and Scrop are clearly scratching you where you itch.

Ya know, Road of Bones consistently does awesome in Roulette's, and I enjoy the song... but I just don't get why everyone gushes over it.  There are so many more IQ tracks that (imo) are much better.  And the album... really didn't think much of it. 

:dunno:... tastes!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #287 on: August 21, 2015, 05:34:55 AM »
I quite liked it. I mean, it's not the best song of the entire roulette or anything, but it was without doubt the best song of the round.

I'll listen to Road of Bones first, but I'm open to suggestions for the second album to listen to, if you think they've got better.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: August 21, 2015, 05:49:42 AM »
I think The Road of Bones (the track) is a great introduction to IQ. It's not their best song or anything, but for the purposes of roulettes, I think it does its job just fine.

And in fact I do think The Road of Bones is their best album. I think I wrote my reasoning in my Top 50 albums thread more than half a year ago, and it's still pretty much the same.

I'm certain I'm statistically eliminated from any chance of victory - which is fine, Ruslan, Rich and Scrop are clearly scratching you where you itch.

Big Hath and Parama both can't win, that's for sure, as for the third candidate... guess it's either you or Shadow Ninja. Depends on the bronze star value.

Anyway, I need Parama to win his match with any star actually (even gold will do), and both Shadow Ninja and Sacul to win their match with bronze. Don't disappoint me guys. ;D

And of course I need to get at least silver against Big Hath.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #289 on: August 21, 2015, 06:38:13 AM »
these comments about Fair To Midland are unacceptable

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: August 21, 2015, 07:00:31 AM »
Final round submitted.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #291 on: August 21, 2015, 07:06:13 AM »
Final round submitted.
To where? I'm not seeing anything.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: August 21, 2015, 07:09:13 AM »
Final round submitted.
To where? I'm not seeing anything.

Spotify.  Need a re-do?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #293 on: August 21, 2015, 07:10:04 AM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #296 on: August 21, 2015, 08:27:09 AM »
yeah The Road of Bones is a pretty cool song

it's like, all the songs I'm losing to are songs I know, somehow  :lol
Marketa Irglova is the only of the 5 songs I've lost to that I'm unfamiliar with

anyways sending a gold star song that you'll hate, I guess, might as well

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #297 on: August 21, 2015, 09:12:00 AM »
Sent one of my all-time favorites.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #298 on: August 21, 2015, 09:24:18 AM »
Sent one of my all-time favorites.
Well at least by now I know that you're prepared for disappointment. :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: August 21, 2015, 10:38:46 AM »
Alright, since my winning song got rejected, I need some time to think on this. Will send either tomorrow or on Sunday.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #300 on: August 21, 2015, 10:46:55 AM »
What song was it, if I may ask?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: August 21, 2015, 10:56:57 AM »
Amadeus Awad - Temporary

The closer from his latest (awesome) album, released yesterday. It's not on YouTube, or I would've included the link. I'm over the moon about this record right now. But as it turned out, "Amadeus Awon’s Eon" from the banned list includes his solo work too. :-\

You can check out this Behind the Scenes video though, if you're interested.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Bolsters™ The Roulette ★ROUND 6 RESULTS IN, SEND FINAL ROUND SONGS★
« Reply #302 on: August 22, 2015, 12:34:09 AM »
I'll listen to that album once a stream appears.

I've got 4/8 submissions for the final round so far but there's no rush.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #303 on: August 22, 2015, 04:15:15 AM »
Of course there's no Rush, they're in the banned artists list.

:neverusethis:
Squ

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #304 on: August 22, 2015, 04:33:46 AM »
Of course there's no Rush, they're in the banned artists list.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #305 on: August 22, 2015, 09:48:18 PM »
sent  :lol
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: August 23, 2015, 03:50:00 AM »
I briefly thought about sending one of my favourite ballads of all time yet again, but seeing how that worked with 50% chance of success, I'm going with all out orchestral epic approach.

Sending now, hopefully it won't get rejected.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #307 on: August 23, 2015, 08:42:45 AM »
I'm just waiting on Elite and Scrop to send now.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Bolsters™ The Roulette -SEND ROUND 5-
« Reply #308 on: August 23, 2015, 09:41:20 AM »
I'm getting an incredible sense of deja vu.

I'm just waiting on Scorpion and Elite now.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #309 on: August 23, 2015, 10:59:56 AM »
jingle i hope your star is gold this round

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: August 23, 2015, 11:04:37 AM »

That makes two of us!!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #311 on: August 23, 2015, 10:06:08 PM »
That makes two of us!!
You'd be the only two.

Elite is now the only person who hasn't sent me anything.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Bolsters™ The Roulette ★SEND YOUR FINAL SONG NOW★
« Reply #312 on: August 24, 2015, 05:44:17 AM »
Sorry, I was away all weekend. Sending this afternoon (within 3-4 hours).
Squ

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #313 on: August 24, 2015, 09:47:26 AM »
Sorry, I was away all weekend. Sending this afternoon (within 3-4 hours).
Liar. ;D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #314 on: August 24, 2015, 09:57:57 AM »
What? :|

OKAY SORRY I WAS 10 MINUTES TOO LATE :(
Squ