Author Topic: Bolsters™ The Roulette ★THE CONCLUSION★  (Read 33693 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Bolsters™ The Roulette ★ROUND 5 LISTENING★
« Reply #210 on: August 14, 2015, 11:47:36 PM »
i've sent nothing you've really liked so I have to assume this is your favorite entry from me, i forgot what i sent
EDIT: I remember what I sent now, yeah if you hate this i'll cry

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: August 15, 2015, 12:23:20 AM »
I do think it's my best song so far, but I don't think you would agree. So no, I don't think it's me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #212 on: August 15, 2015, 12:31:36 AM »
1. Trail of Fire
2. Round 5
3. Benson Hedges
4. Under The Pines
5. Sleep Shake

fwiw

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #213 on: August 15, 2015, 04:32:01 AM »
Some great stuff and some not so great stuff this round. Two of you managed to send your best song so far this time...any ideas on who those people might be? :justjen
I got a c-note that says it wasn't me.
You're 3 out of 4 now, so no more Meat Loaf references.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #214 on: August 15, 2015, 04:44:23 AM »
Some great stuff and some not so great stuff this round. Two of you managed to send your best song so far this time...any ideas on who those people might be? :justjen
I got a c-note that says it wasn't me.
You're 3 out of 4 now, so no more Meat Loaf references.

For crying out loud...
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #215 on: August 15, 2015, 10:00:22 AM »
Tidbits n' personal rankings n' shit. Definitely a little spoilery this time though.

"I think the hi-hats in particular were the worst, because it's the exact same hi-hat sound at the exact same volume on every 8th in every bar for the entire fucking song."

"I thought the female vox were pretty decent but nothing overly special at first, but she grew on me the more I listened to the song. She's a lot stronger in the choruses and with her harmonies than in the verses. I did like the first verse though with the combination of autotune and a vocoder for a robotic yet still melodic vocal style."

"This song has a lot of variety and originality. The unique instrumentation is utilised well, and the song has dynamic shifts between rocking pretty hard to softer sections driven more by the brass."

"Things take a more interesting turn after the second chorus, where the progressive rock leanings I mentioned come to the forefront - the bass and drums contributing the most to this. There's also cool build up here and some scat before the guitar solo, after which things get a bit heavier."

"I'm reminded a little of Anathema by this, which is probably the only thing I listen to that is remotely similar. Instrumentally the song is quite nice. It's quite ambient for the most part and has a nice ethereal, dreamy sort of sound to it, thanks in part to the slow pace, minimal instrumentation, and the tons of reverb on everything."

"This is a very calming, relaxing song. It's just acoustic guitar, bass, and vocals for the mostpart, although there are some clean guitar licks intermittently, some incredibly subtle drumming, and a few string section parts here and there. There's also a clarient, the inclusion of which is probably my favourite thing about the song."

"It's nice and heavy, and there's some good riffage throughout. I like the intro with the additional percussion and the bass playing in particular. The breakdown after the second chorus leading up to the guitar solo was quite good, probably my favourie part of the song."

"The end of the chorus is another strong point, where everything strips away sans the vocals and piano, and then comes in the part where the guitar plays that previous piano motiff from the intro. This is the big :metal part of the song."

Shadow Ninja 2.0
  • Steam Powered Giraffe - Brass Goggles
  • The Dillinger Escape Plan - Widower
  • ???
  • Santigold - The Riot's Gone
  • Jon Gomm - Passionflower

jingle.chad
  • Styx - Pieces of Eight
  • Duran Duran - The Reflex
  • Seventh Wonder - The Angelmaker
  • Roswell Six - I Am The Point
  • ???

Big Hath
  • Devin Townsend Project - Supercrush!
  • Paramore - That's What You Get
  • Kevin Gilbert - Goodness Gracious
  • Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories - Stay
  • ???

Parama
  • ???
  • Bodies Of Water - Under The Pines
  • fun. - Benson Hedges
  • Thomas Giles - Sleep Shake
  • Oceansize - Trail of Fire

Scorpion
  • Amorphis - Sampo
  • Diablo Swing Orchestra - Justice For Saint Mary
  • ???
  • Shadow Gallery - Legacy
  • Infected Mushroom - Suliman

Sacul
  • ???
  • Marketa Irglova - Time Immemorial
  • Janelle Monae - Cold War
  • Jenny Hval / Susanna - I Have Walked This Body
  • Burial - Raver

Evermind
  • Pain of Salvation - Iter Impius
  • Nightwish - Last Ride of the Day
  • Jon Lord - Pictured Within
  • ???
  • Mostly Autumn - Evergreen

Elite
  • Leprous - Forced Entry
  • Karnivool - Umbra
  • Agent Fresco - See Hell
  • ???
  • Lesoir - Flawless Chemistry
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 09:38:40 PM by Bolsters »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #216 on: August 15, 2015, 10:09:43 AM »
"This song has a lot of variety and originality. The unique instrumentation is utilised well, and the song has dynamic shifts between rocking pretty hard to softer sections driven more by the brass."
yup
and yet i still lose to scorpion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: August 15, 2015, 10:11:14 AM »
"This is a very calming, relaxing song. It's just acoustic guitar, bass, and vocals for the mostpart, although there are some clean guitar licks intermittently, some incredibly subtle drumming, and a few string section parts here and there. There's also a clarient, the inclusion of which is probably my favourite thing about the song."

This is almost certainly mine. Anyone else sent a ballad with clarinet? Oh, and don't forget the song is also incredibly sad in the lyrics department!

Seeing how Elite's song ranked, I think we both have fair chances of winning our matchup. I just hope it's a silver, not a bronze.

Parama

???
    Bodies Of Water - Under The Pines
    fun. - Benson Hedges
    Thomas Giles - Sleep Shake
    Oceansize - Trail of Fire
    Redemption - Walls

Little bit of spoilers here I presume. :lol

edit: Or maybe not, seeing the post below. I'm confused now.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #218 on: August 15, 2015, 10:12:54 AM »
also i don't remember sending in redemption - walls and having you hate it

but i'm ok with that

(i don't listen to redemption ??? )

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #219 on: August 15, 2015, 01:13:22 PM »

but i'm ok with that

:lol

Also lol for my song ranking. Bah! That track got a perfect score in a different roulette :(
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #220 on: August 15, 2015, 01:17:28 PM »
i listened to like one or two redemption songs and was like "wow this is disgustingly generic"
i mean yeah not gonna judge the entire band off two songs, but  :lol

someone can send a good one in my roulette and i'll probably give it low points and hate the band forever after that

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #221 on: August 15, 2015, 02:13:55 PM »
i listened to like one or two redemption songs and was like "wow this is disgustingly generic"
i mean yeah not gonna judge the entire band off two songs, but  :lol
This.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #222 on: August 15, 2015, 03:17:19 PM »
Walls is their best song, and is quite awesome.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: August 15, 2015, 03:24:18 PM »
Oh well, I did fine at least  ;D

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: August 15, 2015, 07:06:42 PM »
Well, this is just going from bad to worse.  Costanza approach clearly was not the 'right' approach.  The blurb about female vocalist is the only thing that fits mine.

Well, now that I've lulled you all into a false sense of security, time to grab those last two gold stars.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #225 on: August 15, 2015, 09:41:43 PM »

but i'm ok with that

Sorry about that. No idea how it got added to your list. :mehlin

Well, this is just going from bad to worse.  Costanza approach clearly was not the 'right' approach.  The blurb about female vocalist is the only thing that fits mine.
There must be one more that fits yours, because there's nothing about female vocalists in your tidbit.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: August 16, 2015, 04:55:27 AM »
^ son of a bitch.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #227 on: August 16, 2015, 05:00:29 AM »
Round Five results will more than likely get posted later tonight, I'm just mulling over one particular decision.

Anyway, I received a PM from one contestant in which he states that he will not be online again until Friday. I have got his Round Six submission so that won't be delayed, but I was thinking that I might extend the length of both Rounds Six and Seven. Specifically, I'm going to give you guys a little more time between the rounds to select songs, since these are the last two rounds (barring a tie). So after this round, if you want to take a little longer to pick out a song to send for Round Six, go ahead and do so.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #228 on: August 16, 2015, 08:07:17 AM »
Round 5 results.

Shadow Ninja 2.0 vs Big Hath

Shadow Ninja 2.0
  • Sigur Rós - Varúð
I'm reminded a little of Anathema by this, which is probably the only thing I listen to that is remotely similar. Instrumentally the song is quite nice. It's quite ambient for the most part and has a nice ethereal, dreamy sort of sound to it, thanks in part to the slow pace, minimal instrumentation, and the tons of reverb on everything. The string section was a particular standout (more violins!), as is the vocalist. It's a beautiful song that builds up very well.

On the negative, I really didn't like the excessive distortion on the buildup towards the end of the song, and on the whole the song does drag a bit, although it remains enjoyable throughout for the mostpart. The production is on the poor side and I think it detracts from the beauty of the song (that's not to say it isn't beautiful already, but I think the effect could have been enhanced with cleaner production). The production is good enough in the first half but the song suffers as a result of it more in the second half when the song gets louder.

I thought hard about it and without all that fuzz and distortion on everything at the conclusion to the song that turns it into mostly noise, it more than likely would have achieved silver, because that was the one thing that detracted from the song for me in a really big way and had a huge impact on my overall enjoyment of the song. So while this isn't a bad song, I liked it, and while I will more than likely explore these guys further...I'm going with a bronze here. :(

Big Hath
  • Redemption - Walls
Redemption are unsurprisingly another progressive metal band I tried to get into at some point many years ago, but didn't. So far I've received quite a few submissions along these lines, and some have been hits while others haven't. Question is, where does this song fall?

I'm going with "somewhere in the middle but closer to a miss". This wasn't a bad song by any means and I definitely intend to check the band out after the roulette, but there are no real surprises and not really much to make this stand out above other progressive metal songs, either. The song was a bit of a grower though, so there's that, just not enough of one.

The good: It's nice and heavy, and there's some good riffage here and there. I like the intro with the additional percussion and the bass playing in particular. The breakdown after the second chorus leading up to the guitar solo was quite good, probably my favourie part of the song.

The bad: It's filled to the brim with songwriting techniques I've heard in multitudes of progressive metal songs. The keyboard sounds are likewise something I've heard a lot of in the genre. On the whole the song lacks originality, and it's a little same-y and repetitive. The singer is fairly average, nothing I could get excited about. The production is okay, not bad, but nothing great.

I guess that this song is just a little too familiar, even though I've never heard it before. I will check out the album though.

jingle.boy vs Sacul

jingle.boy
  • Animotion - Obsession
Apparently "do the opposite" means "do something that you've already done" to you, because this is now the second time sent you have sent me some 80's pop. :lol I guess you thought you could match the same success you did in the first round with Duran Duran? Well, I'm afraid not.

While The Reflex had all of the charm of the 80's sound, and is catchy and incredibly well produced, for the mostpart this song seems to contain a lot more 80's tropes and doesn't achieve the same level of charm that The Reflex does. The gated reverb on the snare, the repetitive bassline, the somewhat annoying, straightforward and mechanical hi-hats...sometimes these things work, but there was a severe lack of variation on the track, and it made some of these things stand out more as cons than pros. I think the hi-hats in particular were the worst, because it's the exact same hi-hat sound at the exact same volume on every 8th in every bar for the entire fucking song. :lol Although to be fair, the other drums don't change much at all either, but the hi-hat stood out the most. Anyway, I liked the bass during the part after the chorus. Synths weren't bad but not great either. The vocalists were capable but nothing special, the delivery of the female vox in particular was average at best and not anything to get excited about.

So all in all there were some things to like here, but it the track was a bit too repetitive and doesn't have the highs or much of the charm that a lot of other 80's pop music has.

I know this was your second resend since I knew the first two songs, but for what it's worth you wouldn't have beaten Sacul with either of those songs, anyway. If you're going to follow the Costanza approach for the remaining two rounds, I've got a suggestion for you...Opposite George probably isn't going to cut it, I'd switch to Marine Biologist George; give no fucks and just climb up onto the whale and pull out the golf ball already.

Sacul
  • Destiny Potato - Love Song
This is the kind of thing I've been waiting for you to send. What took you so long? :lol

While the song starts out nice and ambiently, it wastes no time getting to the crunchy djent chords. :metal There's some subtle electronic influence with the synths, during the verses in particular, which I expected since David Maxim Micic is involved here. I love that shit in djent. The song is very strong melodically, which is pretty much a requirement for me with the genre. Vocally things are good; I thought the female vox were pretty decent but nothing overly special at first, but she grew on me the more I listened to the song. She's a lot stronger in the choruses and with her harmonies than in the verses. I did like the first verse though with the combination of autotune and a vocoder for a robotic yet still melodic vocal style. The way her harmonies overlap in places creating a subtle counterpoint sounds a lot like what Micic does in his solo stuff aswell. The harsh screams are the same and add depth to the areas they are used and are again reminiscent of his solo work. Even with all these similarities, it's not exactly the same as that; his solo stuff is far more eclectic, but the more straightforward approach to this song isn't a detraction against it. The blastbeat parts were probably my least favourite thing, but there's only a couple of them and they are short so they don't impact my enjoyment of the song as a whole all too much.

Overall this song is everything I'd expect from something David Maxim Micic is involved in, but with less of an erratic structure and a much stronger pop sensibility about it, masterfully produced so that it is completely seamless. The "screw you, fuck you, I'ma hate you" part was surprising on first listen, because it was so unexpected. :lol The "I know, you know, yeah we both know" line is good too, and lyrics like this really reflect the playfulness this song exhibits. I like that it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Conclusion: Best song you've sent so far, one of the best of the entire roulette, gold star. :hefdaddy

Scorpion vs Parama

Scorpion
  • Savatage - Gutter Ballet
It's funny you should send Savatage, because I've been following TAC's roulette and was thinking about listening to some of their music after my own. Savatage is another band I sampled, but a lot longer ago than the others that I've received. I'm pretty sure Savatage was one of the earlier metal bands I looked into on the cusp of becoming a metalhead. This would have been high school, so around 1999/2000 or so, if I had to guess. I remember liking Hall of the Mountain King a lot (the song) but the album as a whole didn't connect, so I went no further. I was very curious to see how I'd feel about this song - on one hand, I got into metal a lot more in the later of my highschool years and afterwards, so maybe this band would appeal to me more now than they did at the time. On the other hand, as time goes on I become more and more particular about what appeals to me and what doesn't, so there was the possibility that Savatage would have missed their chance already, as it were.

Well, I can tell you now that they didn't miss their chance, because this song is pretty great. It's got a lot of the "classic metal" sound I expected, but is significantly more sophisticated, almost progressive in scope. The piano especially really takes the song to another level that it otherwise would not be able to achieve.

The intro really sets up what is going to come quite well, once the guitar comes in and joins the piano. I like when the guitar plays chords and the piano plays a motiff that will later be a guitar riff prominent in the song - really nice foreshadowing. The verses are a strong part of the song, with the consistently-spaced piano and the guitar intermittently playing chords and being accentuated by the drums. The end of the chorus is another strong point, where everything strips away sans the vocals and piano, and then comes in the part where the guitar plays that previous piano motiff from the intro. This is the big :metal part of the song. The guitar solo is serviceable, pretty standard classic metal stuff, but the accompaniment is solid and fleshed out a bit more with some strings.

On the whole, this is a great track and one of the better things you've sent me in the roulette. However, Parama has managed to pull out something that is juuuust barely ahead of yours. So, you'll have to be content with a pink star this time.

Parama
  • Thank You Scientist - Carnival
Some of you probably saw this coming so it's no big surprise, but I'll say it anyway: Congratulations, you've finally nabbed a star! :tup

This song (band?) is quite unique, and in a really good way. What we have is a masterful blend of progressive rock with infusions of jazz through the use of a horn section. There's also some violin, so I can only assume you read the writeups for your competitors last round to try and get something on target. Well, it worked.

The song begins abruptly, and throws the listened in the deep end; the prog rock is here, and so are the horns, no messing around. The song lightens up, held together with a nice fat bass and the horn section becomes more prominent. The verses see the return of the guitar, playing stabbing chords in unison with the horns while the drummer lays out a groove underneath. The chorus rocks a lot harder while the brass flesh out the sound in the background. There's some violin scattered throughout and a violin solo in the latter half. I like how everything is more subdued for the first half of the violin solo but then comes to life for the second. Vocally things are really good aswell, although some of the backing vocals when introduced create a slightly cacophonous sound. Not that big of a deal though.

This song has a lot of variety and originality. The unique instrumentation is utilised well, and the song has dynamic shifts between rocking pretty hard to softer sections driven more by the brass. Overall the originality of the instrumentation, the utilisation of said instrumentation, and the fact that it is catchy and enjoyable to listen to, makes this a really strong submission.

Evermind vs Elite

Evermind
  • Mark Knopfler - Dream of the Drowned Submariner
You noticed that Dire Straits is part of my banned list, but not Mark Knopfler's solo career. That's due to the fact that I'm a casual fan of Dire Straits at best; I've got a compilation and nothing more, although coincidentally I was listening to Brothers in Arms on Spotify a few weeks ago (as part of my following the 80's classic albums thread) and while I don't mind most of what I've heard, it's not something I want to listen to all that often. As such, I've never felt compelled to look into Knopfler's solo stuff at all.

You decided to try your luck with another ballad, but this time it hasn't worked out. Don't get me wrong, this is a good song, but it didn't come even remotely close to matching the quality of the previous ballad you sent me (my opinion, of course).

This is a very calming, relaxing song. It's just acoustic guitar, bass, and vocals for the mostpart, although there are some clean guitar licks intermittently (which I'd expect from Knopfler), some incredibly subtle drumming, and a few string section parts here and there. There's also a clarient, the inclusion of which is probably my favourite thing about the song.

I guess the only thing that detracts from this song is that this is all it is. It's a very nice song, it sounds great (another thing I'd expect from Knopfler) and it is quite beautiful. But I just don't get all that excited about listening to it - not because it's too relaxed and I want it to be more exciting, but because it never really achieves any great highs. Also I'm not sure if it's controversial to say or not, but I've never been a big fan of Mark Knopfler as a vocalist, so there's that.

Overall a very nice relaxing, and enjoyable track. But for me it just doesn't have that "something extra" to make it great.

Elite
  • Jolly - Where Everything's Perfect
Since Evermind couldn't stop him this round, Elite continues his streak, getting a fourth star in a row. :o

This song is a different beast from the last two you sent me, which is good. This is more like alternative rock/metal with some progressive rock leanings, and even some grunge vibes. Instrumentally and vocally this is a bit grunge-like during the chorus and the first half of the song. Things take a more interesting turn after the second chorus, where the progressive rock leanings I mentioned come to the forefront - the bass and drums contributing the most to this. There's also cool build up here and some scat before the guitar solo, after which things get a bit heavier. Overall this is a solid instrumental section, which is probably my favourite part of the song. The outro is pretty cool too.

At first I was thinking bronze for this track, but dat middle section & outro...and this song was yet another grower. So a silver star for you (again!).

PARAMA GOT A STAR AND IT WAS A GOOD ONE. Has hell frozen over? Is the world about to end? Elite's hot streak continues, as he receives his fourth successive star. Scrop takes a hit, having the third best song of the round but getting away with only a pink star.

Your rankings for the round:

Sacul
Parama
Scorpion
Elite
Shadow Ninja 2.0 / Evermind
Big Hath / jingle.boy

Quote from: SCOREBOARD

Round 6: Brawl!

Shadow Ninja 2.0 vs jingle.boy
Big Hath vs Sacul
Parama vs Evermind
Scorpion vs Elite

To reiterate: I'm extending the period between rounds for the final two, so if you want to take some extra time to consider your options, now is your chance. Without giving away too much...there's only one person at the moment who cannot possibly win (sorry Parama :(), so even this far in, it's still anyone's game. Those of you who are more competitive might also want to consider who you will play against in these final two rounds - you only play against each of the others once, remember, and now that you see the Round 6 matchups you should all know (or be able to easily figure out) who you are up against in Round 7.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 08:13:05 AM by Bolsters »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Bolsters™ The Roulette ★ROUND 5 RESULTS IN, SEND ROUND 6★
« Reply #229 on: August 16, 2015, 08:12:29 AM »
Hey Scorp, welcome to the club!

Disappointed I've lost this one. I've got some people in roulettes saying the track I sent lacks "something extra", and I disagree completely. Well, whatever.

Will send something tomorrow.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: August 16, 2015, 08:31:37 AM »
The guitar solo in Gutter Ballet is "serviceable" - who are you.....Yngwie Malmsteen ?  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: August 16, 2015, 08:44:23 AM »
jingle.boy
  • Animotion - Obsession
Apparently "do the opposite" means "do something that you've already done" to you, because this is now the second time sent you have sent me some 80's pop. :lol I guess you thought you could match the same success you did in the first round with Duran Duran? Well, I'm afraid not.

Exactly.  My initial thought was "no way I should do this twice", so Opposite-George said "do it". 

*song assessment*

Totally fair.

I know this was your second resend since I knew the first two songs, but for what it's worth you wouldn't have beaten Sacul with either of those songs, anyway.

Well then, no worries.  No shame in losing to someone who hit it out of the park.

If you're going to follow the Costanza approach for the remaining two rounds, I've got a suggestion for you...Opposite George probably isn't going to cut it, I'd switch to Marine Biologist George; give no fucks and just climb up onto the whale and pull out the golf ball already.

Actually, I'm going to go with Art Vandelay/architect-George... and just embrace who I want to be.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #232 on: August 16, 2015, 08:47:06 AM »
Chad is my obsession.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #233 on: August 16, 2015, 08:53:03 AM »
The guitar solo in Gutter Ballet is "serviceable" - who are you.....Yngwie Malmsteen ?  :lol
A solo doesn't have to be shred to impress me - if anything, I prefer when solos aren't like that. Give me something melodic any day. I just didn't find the solo in Gutter Ballet to be memorable at all, and it sounds like a lot of other solos in metal songs from around that time to me so there was nothing unique about it. There was nothing about it that made me think "this is a cool solo" at any point; it's just there.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: August 16, 2015, 08:59:10 AM »
Fair enough...........one of my favourite solos ever , and not just because it "shreds".  I referred to Malmsteen not because Gutter Ballet is shred anyway - just because he would call anything he didn't play on "serviceable" :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #235 on: August 16, 2015, 09:03:14 AM »
Fair enough...........one of my favourite solos ever , and not just because it "shreds".  I referred to Malmsteen not because Gutter Ballet is shred anyway - just because he would call anything he didn't play on "serviceable" :lol
Knowing him he'd have something much more colourful and condescending than "serviceable" to say, I think. :lol

I wouldn't call Gutter Ballet's solo shred, really, I just thought you were implying that I didn't like it because it wasn't shred (due to the Yngwie reference).

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #236 on: August 16, 2015, 10:18:32 AM »
i actually intended to send in TYS at some point anyways, I always do if nobody beats me to it  :lol
(I've also sent Under The Pines in like every roulette I've participated in, too  :lol )

anyways i need to find something weird that you'll hate

edit:
I might send Evermind's least favorite of my entries from his roulette in this round, because
1. i think you might like it a lot
2. it's fun to spite him  :lol

it's not very weird though unfortunately
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 10:25:32 AM by Parama »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: August 16, 2015, 10:39:09 AM »
Oh boy yes  :o

Tbh I'd have sent you better stuff had I had a better grasp of your tastes  :lol Will send straightforward stuff from now on.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #238 on: August 16, 2015, 11:48:48 AM »
Dang, thought that'd be a winner. Alas.

Sent.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #239 on: August 16, 2015, 11:56:36 AM »
at this rate, Bolsters is going to start taking stars away from me
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: August 16, 2015, 12:10:42 PM »
edit:
I might send Evermind's least favorite of my entries from his roulette in this round, because
1. i think you might like it a lot
2. it's fun to spite him  :lol

it's not very weird though unfortunately

I don't even remember what it was. Caligula's Horse?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #241 on: August 16, 2015, 12:15:50 PM »
if you don't remember then that's perfect  :hat

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: August 16, 2015, 12:20:03 PM »
at this rate, Bolsters is going to start taking stars away from me

You and me both brutha!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #243 on: August 16, 2015, 12:50:56 PM »
i sent in a song but i actually wanna listen to the entire album it's off of because i never actually did that let's see if i can find something i like more
i mean what i sent is a solid 9/10 at least anyways but  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #244 on: August 16, 2015, 04:47:51 PM »
Short one, because I din't have much time: yay!

Back home tuesday afternoon, will send then.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey