Author Topic: 6DOIT CD1 is a concept album about a girl's misery  (Read 4365 times)

Offline Darkstarshades

6DOIT CD1 is a concept album about a girl's misery
« on: July 24, 2015, 09:51:47 PM »
This is a conclusion I've drawn after hearing the first 5 songs various times... It's really disturbing.
(It is recommended that if you don't know the lyrics well, read them while you read this)

So, this is the story of a girl who suffers from a series of misfortunes through the 5 song set, let me explain.

The Glass Prison: Firstly, we learn about this girl, who is clearly an alcoholic (or maybe addicted to smth else?) who struggles with this and realises that it has to stop, so she gets into the AA program, which is fairly religious btw. She was apparently dating someone but the person left her because of her addictions, thus, she decides to get rid of this. After a strong struggle in her mind (represented by the instrumental section), she grows convinced that God is the only one who can stop this, and leaves her faith in his hands.

Blind Faith: Months pass by, but she is unable to leave her addictions, she continues to consume alcohol even though she had promised not to. Begs to God to stop it, but it doesn't work. She begins to wonder on whether or not God actually cares about her, and begins to lose her faith. The entire song deals with her making up her mind and deciding that it is just not worth it.
"Hear me, speaking, asking why I even bother"
"I've painted my own Mona Lisa, she's fixed everything, Now I'm spoiled beyond my wildest dreams"
"Take the streets, the beaten path"
The instrumental section represents her final duel with God and eventually severing all ties with him.

Misunderstood: Having convinced herself that God can't save her, she leaves the AA and starts to think backwards (represented by the reversed JP solo) of her life. She realizes that her life is meaningless, and that even though she has been surrounded by people, it has been useless: Not only has God been unable to save her, but the people around her do no good either. She sees that she was Once happy, but now she's just a shadow of her being and sets herself deeper into her addiction. Goes bankrupt, becoming a beggar. She loses control of herself, submerged in delusion and had also lost her love, pure disdain for herself.

Upon seeing the misery of life she has, she decides to end her life through unspecified means, which she carries at her home. The last mess strange 3 minutes of the song deal with this. With whathever she has done to end her existence affecting her brain and thoughts, making a lot of random noise, which also represents utter desesperation. In the end, everything falls silent.

The Great Debate: Her ex-boyfriend, who loved her dearly but couldn't be with her because she just made him suffer because of how much much he loved her, learns about this. Unfortunately, her suicide failed, and she's left in a paralyzed state where she's conscious, but unable to do basically anything and several senses lost.
He gets into the stem cell experimentation, desperately seeking a way to heal her and return her to awareness. Learns about all it does (since he's a medicine student) and what it takes, and takes testimonies from other people. A medic especialized in this offers him something that MIGHT be able to save her, but it involves ending innocent newborn lives, so he has to deal with this.
He debates in his mind whether or not this is the right thing to do, and puts the good and the bad things to see what he's going to do.

Disappear: In the end, however, his morale wins, and he decides that he cannot sacrifice other people's lives for his own desire. Since she had basically no close family members left, he signs and agrees to euthanize her. Accepting her end and being in total misery, suffering because he remembers the good times she had with her, but regretting forever for not being with her. In the end, he realizes that she'd want him to move on, and he does.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 01:34:31 AM by Darkstarshades »
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: 6DOIT CD1 is the story of a girl's last days
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 10:47:17 PM »
ummmm

What?

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 10:51:23 PM »
I cried.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 11:01:17 PM »
A ****HUGE**** stretch....but I I love the creativity of it so much that I'm going to give it a  :tup

Translation:  While completely apocryphal, it's so "romantic" that I find myself loving it anyway. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 02:36:41 AM »
A ****HUGE**** stretch....but I I love the creativity of it so much that I'm going to give it a  :tup

Translation:  While completely apocryphal, it's so "romantic" that I find myself loving it anyway.

Yeah, the interpretation is very creative, that the only thing ruining my enjoyment is that Mike Portnoy keeps on whispering to my ear that The Glass Prison is obviously about him.  :lol

Nice twist, Darkstarshades. I hope it makes your enjoyment of the CD much better.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 02:49:06 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: 6DOIT CD1 is a concept album about a girl's misery
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 02:42:27 AM »
Holy shit this really opened my eyes, I now realize that A Dramatic Turn of Events is a concept album about a clown balancing a rope!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 04:26:23 AM »
Wonderful take on the concept, although there's like 0.1% chance that it's true. Still, it's so cool to see fans being able to build up their own interpretations.  :tup

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 05:16:16 AM »
No it's not.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 09:38:21 AM »
OP, Dude, lay off the  :hat
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 09:40:01 AM »
This is really well thought out. Good job man. I actually would love to see someone write a full script around this and find a way to fit disc two into the story as well. I movie based on SDoIT would be awesome.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 10:15:53 AM »
Awake is a out sliderman

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 06:42:38 PM »
I am using Caught in a Web in my class on the subject of social structures and individual agency. I'm looking at how to use other DT songs to show sociological concepts.

Hand. Cannot. Erase by Steve Wilsom is to be incorporated, to demo the modern society of strangers.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 07:56:06 PM »
No it's not.

This. Period. Move on people.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 08:52:40 PM »
This reminds me of something I read some years ago where someone took Queensryche's Rage for Order and extrapolated it into a prequel for Operation:MindCrime!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 09:27:27 PM »
That's a cool interpretation.

Awake is a out sliderman

Go home, you're drunk.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 11:07:21 PM »
I suppose the girl's name is Victoria and the guy is Nicholas?

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 11:13:23 PM »
I suppose the girl's name is Victoria and the guy is Nicholas?

It's probably Nicholas's son.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2015, 12:55:30 AM »
Gonna be honest with you mane. Even though I know that is not true the theory seemed quite plausible...

Until The Great Debate. Sorry. It's too big of a stretch for me to not notice it.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2015, 02:00:37 AM »
Gonna be honest with you mane. Even though I know that is not true the theory seemed quite plausible...

Until The Great Debate. Sorry. It's too big of a stretch for me to not notice it.

The whole deal was done with humoristic purposes, similar to the Awake-Spiderman. I never liked the Awake/Spiderman thing outside of it being a simple joke because I never felt there was any reason to think that outside of "Mary Jane" and Caught in a Web.

I am, however, convinced that there was some thought behind this album other than just being "6 aspects or troubles of life" or "It has to be 6 songs because it's the 6th album".
However, this is the reason why I feel The Great Debate is out of place here, since it's the only lyric that doesn't deal with any specific individual emotional matter (whether it's by a band member or a fictional individual), and also the fact that TGP-BF-Misunderstood all grow progressively slower and more depressive until the slowest and most depressive of all: Disappear, yet TGB is there and that's... somewhere between BF and Misunderstood, yet at the same time it just feels so fitting to the rest of the songs right there.
Besides, there wasn't that much else to do with Misunderstood-TGD transition.
 I like to think that DT purposely made this album to grow progressively more desperate, sadder and more depressive as it went on (I don't know you, but I've always thought the Overture is actually a tragic piece of music, I feel like it's very, very sad), until finally begging the listener to be more appreciative and tolerant with people going through hard emotional problems, either a disease, a trauma or an moral argue.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 02:44:56 AM by Darkstarshades »
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2015, 05:23:50 AM »
I came in here ready to laugh and make fun of you, but after reading your post, I thought even though it's not, it was a great read and very creative representation, and actually kind of worked.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 06:06:41 AM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2015, 01:16:35 PM »
Pretty creative and imaginative.

No it's not.

You guys really thought the OP was being serious?   :rollin  :slowclap:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2015, 11:08:17 PM »
That's a cool interpretation.

Awake is a out sliderman

Go home, you're drunk.

lol
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 01:57:54 AM »
You can pretty much make a case for anything if you over analyse and contrive enough.

Like that video that says that one Star Wars extra who is on screen for 1 second is pivotal to the entire plot.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 02:13:02 AM »
Like that video that says that one Star Wars extra who is on screen for 1 second is pivotal to the entire plot.

What's that video?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 02:31:37 AM »
Well, I don't think this is exaggerated.
Exaggerated would be, like...
Building a theory around the "Older man" in Fatal Tragedy and saying that he's an ancient magician that can travel through space and time and is the main responsible por reincarnating character souls, thus explaining why he knows about that stuff and happened to come across Nicholas. He's als responsible for the nightmares and that and, that's similar to that Star Wars business.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 07:10:22 AM »
It's a bit far fetched but otherwise a cool interpretation of the album. I like it

Well, I don't think this is exaggerated.
Exaggerated would be, like...
Building a theory around the "Older man" in Fatal Tragedy and saying that he's an ancient magician that can travel through space and time and is the main responsible por reincarnating character souls, thus explaining why he knows about that stuff and happened to come across Nicholas. He's als responsible for the nightmares and that and, that's similar to that Star Wars business.

:omg:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline paulstfu

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 01:27:29 PM »
No it's not.

We all know it's not, but it's a truly great interpretation, a bit forced, but great  :tup
Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2015, 01:51:08 PM »
No it's not.

You guys really thought the OP was being serious?   :rollin  :slowclap:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 02:01:09 PM »
No.

But Awake really IS about Spider-Man.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2015, 02:11:06 PM »
No.

This.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2015, 02:25:38 PM »
No.

This.

I'm pretty sure is about Sleeping Beauty.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2015, 02:31:56 PM »
Awake is about a band who starts a musical journey, determined to create something more popular than their breakout album.
Jatruccyundessgini

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2015, 02:37:32 PM »