Author Topic: 2015-7-31 - Wacken Open Air (Wacken, Germany) ROLL CALL & REVIEW  (Read 12075 times)

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus

Tickets Available At : https://www.wacken.com/en/

Are you going?

Were you there?

Share your concert review and experience with other fans and the band!
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline Darkstarshades

Re: 2015-7-31 - Wacken Open Air (Wacken, Germany) ROLL CALL & REVIEW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 05:51:22 PM »
You know what's my dream?
To have a music channel or something that broadcasted the full Wacken Open Air event.
Man, I would hire that service in a second, bad thing is that not many people are fans of that.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 07:39:04 PM »
Wait, so there is no live stream?  If there is, what's the site?  If there is not, will DT's set have a proshot at a later time?

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 02:04:41 AM »
Wait, so there is no live stream?  If there is, what's the site?  If there is not, will DT's set have a proshot at a later time?

Many bands record DVD's at the Wacken (Nightwish, for example) but no, as far as I knnow there's no actual official livestream, at least not for all the bands.
Only the biggest numbers (and not all of them) got an actual streaming.
My point was that I wish to have a livestream service for all these lesser bands, some of these are actually pretty cool.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 01:59:44 AM »
Livestream  :) https://www.wacken.com/en/news/news/news-detail/woa-livestream-2015-the-first-bands-are-confirmed/

Only available in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and France but i'm sure we all know ways ;)

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 02:23:28 AM »
Someone will record it and upload it anyway.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 02:28:47 AM »
I really hope so!  ::)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 11:55:38 PM »
Livestream  :) https://www.wacken.com/en/news/news/news-detail/woa-livestream-2015-the-first-bands-are-confirmed/

Only available in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and France but i'm sure we all know ways ;)

Yes, we may have ways.....  ::).

Someone will record it and upload it anyway.

Yeah, but it's live.  I always love watching proshots in real-time, otherwise, when the upload comes on youtube, in some way, I'm going to forget about it and if I do remember, the enthusiasm won't be as strong compared to in real-time.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 08:28:05 AM »
For anyone watching the stream later, (or even for Queensryche in a bit)  i'm finding the arte.tv stream works well here - https://concert.arte.tv/fr/wacken

Couldn't get the one on the Wacken website to work at all.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 12:10:37 PM »
They skipped About to Crash :(
I kind of get the mentality of skipping one of the more mellow, non-metal shows in a shorter set of a metal festival, but...I dunno, personally it's far from the first song I'd get rid of in this set lol.

Anyways performance is pretty good (I'm watching the stream), James was kinda meh in Afterlife but then picked up (IMO).

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 12:22:08 PM »
Yeah, the vocal performance at the beginning was quite bad, but it gets better. He really struggles with/avoids the high notes.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 12:24:46 PM »
They skipped Wither too.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 12:32:57 PM »
Oh, and glad to see the weather improved drastically. It was raining heavily the past days.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline dreamrafa

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER9Y57sjC3o

Cant wait to get this show on losless satrip format!... Long time since we get a full concert broadcasted  :metal

Offline Tim van Duijn

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 04:06:13 PM »
As much as i love James, i really hope he was still sick here. He doesn't hit the high notes, he's screamy and he has that nasty Chaos in Motion vibe on him. I loved his performance during LaLP and the DT13 tour. I hope he's able to reach that level again.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 04:08:44 PM »
Wacken has some horrible camera work.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 05:38:40 PM »
Generally any live streamed festival has some horrible camera work. Watching the DT download set from a few years back reminds me of this, camera-work wise.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 01:56:20 AM »
Usually any time a concert is being filmed by a non band hired crew - the directors always seem to avoid showing whoever is soloing - like the plague.

:coolio ok stick with the singer....stick with the singer.....he's walking near to the guitarist - cut to crowd shot.

:coolio oh the guitarist is doing something - cut to the singer backstage for entire solo.

Offline genome

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 08:20:18 AM »
Lol, I think there's one moment where JP is on an extended solo and they decided to show tents and stalls instead.

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 09:54:44 AM »
As much as i love James, i really hope he was still sick here. He doesn't hit the high notes, he's screamy and he has that nasty Chaos in Motion vibe on him. I loved his performance during LaLP and the DT13 tour. I hope he's able to reach that level again.
I went to Pistoia a couple of weeks ago and he seemed to be better than yesterday... Probably this is not his best period... Yes, he's screamy and I think we must get used to this!!! But he always has the right attitude and he's never afraid to face the toughest songs!!! :yarr

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 10:02:46 AM »
James :tdwn :censored

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 11:14:18 AM »
I saw yesterday the live stream and i am watching a recording of it now.
The band is in good form,LaBrie though...well,he was from bad to mediocre mostly yesterday.I am reading that he straggles with laryngitis lately so i wish him well.
I like the setlist,not my favourite though but a good balance between the old and new songs and of course on the heavier side.the only thing missing,was a song from Awake but i suppose their time constraints didn't allow for one more song.
I LOVE the way they are playing the older material (especially The Spirit Carries On).They play the older songs practically with their eyes closed but they manage to play them not boring or stale but fresh each time.
Unfortunately ,the mess that my country is in (Greece) hasn't allowed me to follow them as closely as before but u am always with a smile on my face every time i see them live,even using a live stream.
I am one of those old souls that i was present at Lycabetus Theater at their first ever concert in Greece and i am always reminded of that every time they play.In my eyes they are always the marvel of a band i witnessed during that legendary,glorious night.
When you country and your life is upside down as Greece is right now,then little joys like seeing Dream Theater live have a whole new meaning.

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 03:04:36 AM »

Would that be referring to the naked dude trying to crowd surf??

I could have lived without ever seeing something like that.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2015, 04:30:32 AM »
I was under the impression that worse thing used to happen at Grateful Dead's gigs  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Aramis CR

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 12:06:39 AM »
Hello, I recorded the audio from the broadcast using Wondershare Streaming Audio Recorder and at a bitrate of 256 kbps.

Regards,
 :metal :metal

https://yourlisten.com/AramisCR/dream-theater-live-at-wacken-2015-07312015

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 01:23:41 AM »
I saw yesterday the live stream and i am watching a recording of it now.
The band is in good form,LaBrie though...well,he was from bad to mediocre mostly yesterday.I am reading that he straggles with laryngitis lately so i wish him well.
I like the setlist,not my favourite though but a good balance between the old and new songs and of course on the heavier side.the only thing missing,was a song from Awake but i suppose their time constraints didn't allow for one more song.
I LOVE the way they are playing the older material (especially The Spirit Carries On).They play the older songs practically with their eyes closed but they manage to play them not boring or stale but fresh each time.
Unfortunately ,the mess that my country is in (Greece) hasn't allowed me to follow them as closely as before but u am always with a smile on my face every time i see them live,even using a live stream.
I am one of those old souls that i was present at Lycabetus Theater at their first ever concert in Greece and i am always reminded of that every time they play.In my eyes they are always the marvel of a band i witnessed during that legendary,glorious night.
When you country and your life is upside down as Greece is right now,then little joys like seeing Dream Theater live have a whole new meaning.
Where did you read he's suffering from laryngitis? If he really is, that would explain a lot. Man, he was great last tour but this Wacken performance... It's just not too good. I hope he'll recover soon.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 02:32:13 AM »
James 's back to his old wailing, perhaps it has to do with how large the stage and crowd is, and he's just trying to hard to be the frontman of the band.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2015, 08:24:46 AM »
Hello, I recorded the audio from the broadcast using Wondershare Streaming Audio Recorder and at a bitrate of 256 kbps.

Regards,
 :metal :metal

https://yourlisten.com/AramisCR/dream-theater-live-at-wacken-2015-07312015

Thanks! Great listen! The band sounded awesome, JLB definitely struggled for the first couple tunes, but sounded good the latter part of the show.