Author Topic: Le Sacul's ocassional reccomendation thread v. Awesome free music  (Read 4013 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Big props for Have a Nice Life and Gazpacho!  :tup Demon was Gazpacho's best since Night for me, but Night remains nr1.
Thanks! I still have to check Night tho. Seems to be their most praised album.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Sacul, are you familiar with maudlin of the Well and Kayo Dot?  They are the ultimate in prog without wank.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i need to listen to more maudlin, never could get into kayo dot though

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
2 of the best bands ever birthed from a group of baginas no question

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sacul, are you familiar with maudlin of the Well and Kayo Dot?  They are the ultimate in prog without wank.
I listened to a bit of them long time ago, but I'm gonna give Bath a listen this week. Will report later.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Bath/Leaving Your Body Map is a masterpiece, as is Choirs of the Eye. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Kayo Dot/maudlin of the Well are both awesome. I probably prefer Kayo Dot, but maudlin has some excellent albums as well.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
^this guy gets it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Le Sacul's semiweekly reccomendation thread v. *chiptune intensifies*
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2015, 08:37:21 PM »
Have some nostalgia.

Anamanaguchi
Dawn Metropolis

In the last 5-6 years there has been a huge wave of nostalgia towards old games, specially the ones from the 8/16-bit Golden Era. Therefore, videogames with an old-school design, mainly graphic-wise, have gained a lot of popularity since, and continue to have it today. So it isn't surprising to see it reached music too - even a new genre was created: chiptune.

Basically, electronic music based on old Gameboys and Super Nintendos, sometimes by hacking their chip sounds, or just sampling them in order to achieve that glorious retro sound. But as in every genre, a lot of it sucks. There are a few bands that do really stand out though. Like Anamanaguchi.

Maybe it's their blend of chiptune with rock, or just their huge creativity. But what they've achieved in Dawn Metropolis is remarkable - short, catchy songs that sound melancholic of early gaming days, but without giving up to cheap tricks. Didn't expect it to be this original, but I do love to be surprised in the most unusual ways. Their fanbase has grown fast and big, making them perform at big events like PAX, and they have a brilliant future ahead of them, so I couldn't be happier about these young guys.

This song, the album closer, is almost 8 mins long, the odd exception that feels like an epic. For their standards I mean. Hope you enjoy it.

A song:  Mermaid

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Le Sacul's semiweekly reccomendation thread v. *chiptune intensifies*
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2015, 10:14:43 PM »
In the last 5-6 years there has been a huge wave of nostalgia towards old games, specially the ones from the 8/16-bit Golden Era. Therefore, videogames with an old-school design, mainly graphic-wise, have gained a lot of popularity since, and continue to have it today. So it isn't surprising to see it reached music too - even a new genre was created: chiptune.
I just wanted to point out that technically, the music produced by old videogame consoles is chiptune, so the invention of the genre took place all the way back in the 70's. Even if you want to refer to music created in the style of chiptunes but was not made for use in a videogame, people have been making music like that since the 80's, so it's hardly a recent concept. Though you are right that in the last few years there has been a bit of a resurgence of chiptunes and music incorporating chiptune sounds.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2015, 10:11:49 PM »
Even if you want to refer to music created in the style of chiptunes but was not made for use in a videogame, people have been making music like that since the 80's, so it's hardly a recent concept.
Yeah, I guess you're right - should have some a bit more of research before posting  :P

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2015, 11:27:59 PM »
i have endless fantasy, and that thing fucking rips. love these guys.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Le Sacul's semiweekly reccomendation thread v. I'm in space! SPAAAAACE
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2015, 09:54:40 PM »
Have some drugs space prog.

My Brother the Wind
I Wash My Soul In The Stream Of Infinity

Where does jam and songwriting begin and end here? It feels like one big improvisation, and while that could be the case, the songs feel crafted in such a smart way that they don't seem jams. It reminds me of Dark Side of the Moon in that - few albums have such natural flow. Clearly these guys were not only inspired while recording it, but they have a very strong chemistry as a group.

Psychedelic and progressive (lots of mellotron here!), My Brother the Wind are masters at creating an immersive, unique atmosphere, that, despite sounding cliched as hell, is truly out of this world.

A song:  Fire! Fire!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Le Sacul's semiweekly reccomendation thread v. When Japan goes pink...
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2015, 10:40:27 AM »
No one wanted to get high?  :sadpanda: Have some J-pop.

Boris
New Album

Boris: one of Japan's most diverse, groundbreaking bands. They've done from noise rock to drone metal, sludge, stoner, experimental stuff, and shoegaze with j-pop. New Album represents the latter style, and despite the mixed/negative reception it had among fans, I can't help disagreeing. The Japanese trio have crafted a catchy, accessible album that still remains quite experimental, with songs that are pure pop, and a few that even add some metalgaze - all cleans vocals of course. Never thought I'd want to dance to a Boris album.

But what I love most about it is the lack of fucks they gave while recording it. They crafted the album, rerecording old songs in a new style, writing new ones, and then gave it to a famous Japanese producer to make it "pop". Honestly, the result is fantastic - no guilty pleasures.

A song:  Pardon?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Le Sacul's semiweekly reccomendation thread v. When Japan goes pink...
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2015, 10:44:43 AM »
Boris is in my top5 favorite bands but I haven't gotten around to New Album yet, which is a bit of a shame. I'll try to fix that. Otherwise I highly recommend the band though, they have done so many different styles and done them so amazingly. Flood is a top5 album for me, and they have other albums almost as good, like Amplifier Worship, Feedbacker, Akuma No Uta, Pink, Heavy Rocks, Dronevil Final, the list goes on. Just an amazing band.  :hefdaddy

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2015, 02:21:11 PM »
Definitely an awesome band (another reason to love the Japanese scene), but I'm sadly only familiar with Feedbacker (fantastic), and this one. Should dig deeper into their discography, but it's just huge  :lol .

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2015, 06:28:42 PM »
Boris has such a large and diverse discography, I really need to make it a goal of mine to get through all of their albums at some point. Flood is already an all-time favorite album of mine. New Album, however, I haven't gotten around to yet. But with how well they pull off a variety of different sounds, I'm sure that this one is no exception.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2015, 02:24:40 AM »
Sacul you really should dive into their discography! :)

I did it myself a while ago. I was only really familiar with 3 or 4 albums, but I made it my crusade to listen to every album, and while I still have 2 or 3 of the "odd" ones left, I have made it through most of their catalog, and most of it is awesome.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2015, 07:52:32 PM »
I need to explore their entire discography as well because I fall in the camp of really only having listened to Pink, New Album, and Noise and I really like them and know how different and diverse their other albums are so hope to do it soon.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2015, 09:21:24 PM »
Madness time!

The Chemical Brothers
Dig Your Own Hole

One of my biggest regrets was never getting into electronic music. Have a nice face, some fancy equipment, push a few buttons in front of thousands - profit. Yes, I used to believe that crap. Until one day, I listened to Burial.

I had once seen a 'top 50 electronic albums of the 00s' list, and because I had a friend who was into the genre (and with that I mean the so called "mainstream DJs" like Guetta and Avicii), I shared it with him. He didn't recognise any of the albums there! And the top choice intrigued me: Untrue. So decided to give it a chance, purely out of curiosity. Modified samples, strange beats, no crazy buildups. Quite a weird album. But here was a charm, a special vibe that kept me returning to it. It grew and grew in me and I was in awe - damn, electronic music could be more fantastic than I'd imagined!

But... never got deeper into of it. I can only guess I was fucking lazy - and my current project (the one in my sig - shameless plug I know), has allowed me to mend it. Dig Your Own Hole was a pleasant surprise. I knew electronic beats could be fun, but ignored they could fucking rock. It starts with their hit, Block Rockin' Beats, one of the most entertaining songs I've heard in a while. If the rest of the record was like that, I wouldn't have complained - but it actually goes in quite an experimental journey, bringing sounds from the middle east and even some pop sensibilities, while keeping a fast tempo and lots of fun. Fantastic Big Beat album.

You don't see such experimental yet accessible records every day.

A song:  Block Rockin' Beats

Offline Fluffy Lothario

I remember The Chemical Brothers were one of the biggest names in electronic when I was at high school. I always wondered what happened to them. No-one ever seems to talk about them anymore.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well their new album was quite hyped, but after listening to the single, I wonder what the hell happened to them.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2015, 08:05:49 PM »
Chill time.
edIT
Crying Over Pros For No Reason

Do you remember DJ Shadow telling us Why Hip-Hop Sucks in '96? Well, edIT tells us why it sucks in 2004, and its because there isn't enough of it that sounds like this (Prefuse 73 being the obvious exception).

His roots lie in indie hip-hop, which he produced and collaborated on for many years before deciding to create an album of his own. As a result of this, his debut LP Crying Over Pros For No Reason drips with the relaxed, hip-hop atmosphere that fans of producers such as DJ Shadow will be very familiar with: it's laid back, but with a very subtle hint of melancholy.

The laid back ambiance of Crying Over Pros... is at the same time brooding and almost oppressive. The heavy use of acoustic guitars, the lead line worth of µ-ziq on Ltlp, the pulsating phased synth pads, all create an atmosphere that the meticulously hectic drum programming tries desperately to break out of. It's like listening to drums trapped inside the rest of the music and they desperately want out, but it's not going to let them. The style is really disjointed, of course, but it's so seamlessly done that it feels natural. It does kind of get noticeably over done if the base of the song isn't as solid, which happens a bit into the middle of the album, but it's not really aggravating.

The album is a little short at only 39 minutes, although it may have needed a little more variation if it was going to be stretched any further. It may not be perfect, but this is excellent music to just chill to, and reflect about deep subjects.

A song:  Ants

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Nice.  Thats buzzy.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Le Sacul's semiweekly reccomendation thread v. Lost and found
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2015, 12:15:50 PM »
What does that mean?  :lol

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2015, 12:31:18 PM »
Hip Hop didn't sucked in 2004, there was Madvillainy and College Dropout  :censored

:P
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2015, 12:52:39 PM »
Well I'm not a big fan of the former, and haven't explored Kanye's discography beyond MBDTF. Also, I copied that part from another review :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
More chill.

Saltillo
Ganglion

Here it is. The album that has fascinated me the most in the last months. I've already stated how much I've been digging Instrumental Hip-Hop and Trip-hop as of late, but... There was something missing. Although I'd enjoyed every single album in that style, a little thought started to run through my mind: What if I don't find it?

I got into these genres because I was looking for something not only similar to Endtroducing, but also equally good. Yes, I enjoy all of the trip-hop albums I've found so far, but none of them managed to go from great to something beyond that.

You know how this clichéd story goes; then I found Ganglion. Right from the very first listen it impressed me. A lot. And it just got better and better with each spin. The classical influences, the violins, the samples, the occasional vocals, the melancholy and passion of every song - even the IDM drumming, it all hit the right chord for me. I'm in awe at how overlooked this album is, but I'll spread some love for it, to see if I can fix that.

Saltillo moves in the spirit of DJ Shadow, but has more on-spot instrument work, as Menton Matthews is well known for his versatility in playing all the stringed instruments. The result is a creature a little darker than DJ Shadow's work, and a little more brooding than Little People. Saltillo is good for those more melancholy days: the gray ones, the cold ones, the thoughtful ones where the car drive to and from work seems longer, and the silences in-between seem louder.

Also, thanks to /mu/'s essential trip-hop chart - wouldn't have found this, had it not been for their amazing lists.

A song:  A Hair on the Head of John the Baptist

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
What does that mean?  :lol

Haha.  Buzzy like.  'Whoa, that's out of it. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Le Sacul's semiweekly reccomendation thread v. A sonnet about jealous love...
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2015, 12:47:11 AM »
Well it's really a unique sound, perfect for relaxing. And jeez I do love me some tasty glitch  :heart

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Le Sacul's semiweekly reccomendation thread v. Be the hero from coast to coast
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2015, 09:29:53 PM »
Looks like I'm the only trip-hop fan here :'( Have some prog metal.

OSI
Blood

Oh Kevin, now I see why you had to leave Dream Theater. To make fantastic music like this. Even if it took you several years (Blood was released in 2009), you finally delivered. And damn it's worth.

With the help of Jim Matheos, of course. I always liked his guitar work on FW, but nothing they ever did appealed me. Specially those awful vocal lines. But on this album, he shines. Great riff after great riff, also mixed by Kevin's electronics, and even some PT influences.

A heavy yet melodic, and dark album that I didn't expect to like this much.

A song:  The Escape Artist

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Great album. Radiologue and Blood are the best tracks.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I should revisit OSI at some point. They've never clicked before, but it's been years since I last tried.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
I should revisit OSI at some point. They've never clicked before, but it's been years since I last tried.

this

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Their debut bored me to tears, but this one is fascinating. Really, give it a try guys. Mikael Akerfeldt does vocals in a song, btw ;)