Author Topic: Likes and Dislikes  (Read 13737 times)

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
Re: Likes and Dislikes
« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
They played it BOTH of the first two times I saw them in concert. I got to see/hear it the VERY FIRST time they played it live (along with the REST of SFaM!),
and again on the 6-DoiT tour. I have ALL THREE of the live DVDS (LSFNY,Score, & LaLP), that include this song, and I'm pretty sure I can catch other versions of it through mediums like YouTube.

So I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well all cried-out over The Spirit Carries On...!...
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2015, 07:50:54 PM »
Home was played in the summer of 2010.
Overrated anyway. Gotta sit through the whole bloated thing just to get to the last minute and a half or so.
:huh: :facepalm: :loser:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2015, 08:42:42 PM »
Most people are getting sick of The Spirit Carries On?  I doubt it, considering crowds go crazy for it every time.  I am sure there are a small percentage of online fans who want to see it put down for a while, but it's always a favorite of the live crowds.

I do think that Home is long overdue to get some serious live love, for sure.

If you are paying attention to what's being said here on the forum, then yes, you WILL notice that a lot of people are tired of TSCO, and a lot of us think it HAS been overplayed since it's debut. 

If you are paying attention to what I am saying, you will see that I said live crowds still love it, from all indications.  I doubt the band is gonna abandon the song live because some online fans are tired of it.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2015, 08:48:51 PM »
I didn't say "abandon" it! I just said stop PLAYING for a while. Leave it the shelf for the next couple of tours, and then bring it back and play it differently. What's so wrong or bad about THAT?
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2015, 07:01:07 AM »
Nothing, but that isn't the issue I addressed.  I addressed you incorrectly saying that most DT fans are tired of The Spirit Carries On.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2015, 03:09:33 PM »
Well, they probably ARE!

They could stop playing it on at LEAST the next tour, and most people probably won't complain about or say anything like "it wasn't a complete Dream Theater concert because they didn't plat The Spirit Carries on!"

The majority will probably be just as happy with the songs that they DO play.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2015, 03:23:50 PM »
I have never seen TSCO live, a lot of people haven't either, so stop saying it shouldn't be played because you think it's overplayed. If you go to a venue and it gets played, I'm sure you'd start crying instantly.

I keep forgetting to mention this, so now's as good a time as any: I'VE never gotten to see Pull Me Under live, except as part of the medley at the Metropolis 2000 show. But a lot of people are either sick of PMU, or don't like it that much in the first place. If they DID play it at a show that I was at, it MIGHT just elicit an emotional response from me. And even though there's no doubt in my mind that most of the rest of the people there would enjoy it as well, or at least not MIND if they played it. But there are still people on here who complain about it like it was Metallica insisting on playing songs from St. Anger at every gig!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2015, 03:37:25 PM »
A lot of people are sick of the DT songs from the forthcoming album.

Prove me wrong.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2015, 04:51:02 PM »
First of all, I am not obligated to prove anything about anything to you.

Second, that is just about the most absurdly ridiculous statement you could possibly have made.

Thirdly, DEFEND your POSISSION!

How can anyone be sick of something they haven't even HEARD yet???

For your idiotic statement to even BEGIN to be right, there would have to be people, and I means LOTS of them, coming on here and saying that they're already sick of the songs from "12!" And people who didn't like those songs in the FIRST place do NOT count!!!

But most IMPORTANTLY: exactly WHAT does your insane statement have to do with anything?

Like I said: DEFEND IT!!!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 06:20:42 PM by chaossystem »

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2015, 05:37:07 PM »
I think that it was actually a joke poking fun at how DT fans always find something to complain about. That or KevShmev comes from a future where DT13 was released  :omg:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2015, 05:43:34 PM »
See, and you all thought Marty McFly was Future Boy. :biggrin:

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2015, 06:10:16 PM »
I think that it was actually a joke poking fun at how DT fans always find something to complain about. That or KevShmev comes from a future where DT13 was released  :omg:

Well, that's exactly the point I was trying to make, ALSO in a humorous way by saying that it would be just like Metallica continuously shoving St. Anger down THEIR audiences' throats.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2015, 06:21:52 PM »

Well, that's exactly the point I was trying to make, ALSO in a humorous way by saying that it would be just like Metallica continuously shoving St. Anger down THEIR audiences' throats.

Oh yeah, I had misunderstood that part of your post. But as you wrote I think most people don't really mind Pull Me Under (unlike St-Anger which seems to be disliked even by Metallica fans). I think it's more of a case of wanting more variety from tour to tour.

Offline mrrct

« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2015, 06:43:45 PM »
1. Favorite live album:

Scenes From New York.  Budokan and Score might be better, but LSFNY is still my favorite.

2. Live versions better than studio tracks:

"The Killing Hand," from Live at the Marquee, is the most obvious one, but any WDADU song sung by LaBrie is better than the Dominici studio versions.

3. Live versions worse than the studio tracks:

"Take the Time," especially the performances where Portnoy "sings" the first verse. 

4. Songs DT should play more often; play less:

I remember marking out when they played "The Killing Hand" live in 2002.  I wouldn't mind if they played WDADU songs not part of their medleys.  "Home" and "Strange Deja Vu" would be cool too.  I never want to hear "Hollow Years" again.

5. Covers as good or better than the original; covers that sucked:

"Perfect Strangers" is as good as the original, even more shockingly so because it is a live version.  They have several others which are maybe a tad worse than the original ("Love Lies Bleeding," "Stargazer," the whole Dark Side of the Moon bootleg, etc.).  I don't think the whole Number of the Beast bootleg worked because of the one-guitar arrangement.

6. Albums that would have been better if certain songs were omitted:

Falling Into Infinity would have been better if "Anna Lee" and "Take Away My Pain" were left on the cutting room floor.  Black Clouds and Silver Linings would have been better without "The Best of Times."  Every album has a mediocre track or two except for Images and Words, but I chose the ones that I find most cringeworthy.

7. Albums that would have been better if certain songs were added:

The songs that were showcased on the "Five Years In A Lifetime" DVD I assume were written at the same time as the FII tracks, while not great, were better than the ones mentioned above.  The demo "You Or Me" was certainly (at least lyrically) better than the Desmond Child-rewrite of "You Not Me."  "To Live Forever," while predating even IAW, was too good not to be an album track.  It might not have fit Awake's style and maybe wasn't good enough for IAW, but it was better than almost everything on FII.

8. Dream lineup for the band:

LaBrie-Petrucci-Myung-Portnoy-Moore.  Too much musical masturbation by Rudess, and I miss Moore's lyric contributions.

9."Evening with..." shows or who would I like them to tour with:
I like the solo, three-hour shows with the intermission.  I don't like the ProgNation or the co-headlining tours because the set isn't long enough, and I am not familiar with the openers and they've never really won me over, except for maybe Symphony X (a little).  I wouldn't want anybody too prog; maybe a harder symphonic band like Epica would be good.  It wouldn't happen, because they'd rather headline smaller joints in the U.S., although they were willing to be third on a bill with Machine Head before the tour got cancelled.

10. How many new songs would I like to hear:

No more than half of any new album, unless they somehow create a third masterpiece this late in their career.  I remember how pissed people were when they went to see Maiden and got A Matter of Life and Death in order, in its entirety, and only "Hallowed Be Thy Name" from Number of the Beast.

11. Albums I want represented:

Any new album, IAW, A, SFAM, SDOIT, TOT, BCASL.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2015, 07:51:25 PM »
Next Tour Continued (Part Nine)-

Falling Into Infinity:

It's nice to see that they brought Burning My soul back for this current tour, but I kind of wish they had saved it for the next one, when they have another new album to promote.

Trial of tears was part of AftR and Bt4thW, and I think we've had enough of it for a while.

The support for Anna Lee, You Not Me and Take away My Pain SEEMS to be KIND of weak, so MAYBE best not to play any of them. (Caps used to make sure no one misses the POINT!)

I LOVE New Millennium, but it's already on Live at Budokan, and I don't know if there's much more they could do with it, so unless they work out a new arrangement for it, probably best not to bring it back.

I like Peruvian Skies, but a lot of you don't seem to care for it, or feel that it's been overplayed, so I don't know what to think about this one.

I don't think they've ever played a full version of Hell's Kitchen live, especially on a major tour, so hell yeah! It's about damn time!

I don't know why so many people don't like the FII version of Hollow Years. I think I like it just as much now as I did when I first HEARD it! This is another song that I think would sound great (or even beautiful) if they played it on REAL acoustic instruments (but still full-band!) and/or with an orchestra.

I'm one of the few people who never seems to get tired of Just Let Me Breathe, but it doesn't take up too much of the show, and it's a 'hard" song, so I don't think most of the audience would find it to be TOO objectionable. But NOT with the end of it cut off, like they did in LSFNY!

Lines in the Sand still seems to be very popular, but if they bring it back I hope they play it more like the LiveTime version, only without all those screaming keyboard sounds at the beginning, and WITH the restored lyrics at the end like in the CiM version.

Part 9 & 1/2: A Change of Seasons:

Most people will probably want them to play it in it's entirety on the next tour, but that's what they should be doing NOW, since 2015 is the 20th anniversary of the album!

They've played parts of it in other shows that they've done in the past, and that's what they should do on the next tour. Like maybe play Carpe Diem in the first set, and Another World / The Inevitable Summer in the second set.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 08:00:48 PM by chaossystem »

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2015, 06:02:22 AM »
1. Favorite live album:

Score and LSFNY are amazing!

2. Live versions better than studio tracks:

Illumination Theory was incredible live when I saw that, So was The Count of Tuscany. A lot of their EPICS suit a live environment a lot more!

3. Live versions worse than the studio tracks:

Afterlife & Metropolis at Waken were completely butchered by LaBrie. Also anything pre FII doesn't sound very good live compared to studio anymore.

4. Songs DT should play more often; play less:

Old epics like Octavarium, A Change of Seasons and maybe ITPOE should be played more. Remove DT12 for this tour maybe

5. Covers as good or better than the original; covers that sucked:

Stargazer/Take Your Fingers From My Hair ruled. To a Tame Land was Weak

6. Albums that would have been better if certain songs were omitted:

Octavarium without Never Enough and I Walk Beside You, Systematic Chaos without Prophets of War

7. Albums that would have been better if certain songs were added:

If FII had Raise the Knife and Speak to Me instead of Just Let me Breathe and Burning my Soul/Anna Lee it would've ruled, and You Not Me/You Or Me

8. Dream lineup for the band:

LaBrie - The true voice of the band, he's had ups and downs but he'll always be the voice of the band
Petrucci - The main machine behind the songwriting. Irreplacable.
Myung - Incredibly consistent, Fantastic lyrics. Again, Irreplacable
Mangini - The band just seems happier with him, no ego and less ideas/contributions
Moore - Used to prefer Rudess but his sound library is awful, Moore is sounding awesome in OSI and could bring something really cool to the mix if he came in at this point.

9."Evening with..." shows or who would I like them to tour with:

Symphony X/Wintersun/Andromeda/Shadow Gallery but most of all ICE AGE. That would be great. Love the long sets though, I go to their concerts to see DT so the more the better.

10. How many new songs would I like to hear:

Their Single and Their Epic track (There's bound to be an epic, right?)

11. Albums I want represented:

DT13, A tonne of SDOIT, less Metropolis (Only sounds true in it's entirety), Not much from IAW/Awake (Doesn't sound as good as it used to). Octavarium, BC&SL, ADTOE

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2015, 07:19:28 AM »
Anna Lee is a song I really hope to see live reworked/upgraded like Space Dye Vest or Hollow Years. It's already a cool song that creates a nice atmosphere, so making it more dynamic and changing things here and there would make it a memorable moment in a show for me.
Making it fresh and new (since, as far as I know, it hasn't been played by Jordan live, correct me if I'm wrong)
So it would really feel like a fresh idea, and not many can say that they've seen it live.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Ruba

« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2015, 08:34:25 AM »
Anna Lee is a song I really hope to see live reworked/upgraded like Space Dye Vest or Hollow Years. It's already a cool song that creates a nice atmosphere, so making it more dynamic and changing things here and there would make it a memorable moment in a show for me.
Making it fresh and new (since, as far as I know, it hasn't been played by Jordan live, correct me if I'm wrong)
So it would really feel like a fresh idea, and not many can say that they've seen it live.

I remember reading from somewhere that Anna Lee is retired from setlists, because it was a "Derek song". Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, there aren't too many people who like that song. I think it is good, but not really memorable. Though I wouldn't complain if I'd see it played live.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2015, 08:39:30 AM »

I remember reading from somewhere that Anna Lee is retired from setlists, because it was a "Derek song". Correct me if I'm wrong.
That was true when MP was making setlists.  That is the reasoning he used.

If I'm not mistaken, I think that JP said something about it not going over that well live when they DID do it, and it having been so long that few people in the crowd now might know it.  Same thing with other stuff like this, such as Eve.

Too bad, because seeing him play slide on that Talman guitar for this song on 5YIAL is one of my favorite parts of that DVD.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2015, 08:48:40 AM »
Still, the same happened with Hollow Years, I don't see how or why the couldn't reimagine Anna Lee with the current line-up
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2015, 09:00:49 AM »
Still, the same happened with Hollow Years, I don't see how or why the couldn't reimagine Anna Lee with the current line-up
Yes, but Hollow Years never had the distinction from the band of "not going over well" or of "being a Derek song."
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2015, 12:50:58 PM »
Yes, but Hollow Years never had the distinction from the band of "not going over well" or of "being a Derek song."

Let's consider the era.
FII was considered a disappointment after I&W and Awake. I doubt that Anna Lee, being one of the slowest songs on the record, was very popular at all. HY was a single, AL wasn't. While I agree that it's been a while and a lot of people might not know it at all, I think it's very underrated and if it was explored and/or expanded, it would be a very very good song.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2015, 02:09:14 PM »
Oh, I would love to see them bring it back out, and hopefully they will do so.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2015, 09:37:38 PM »
I like Anna Lee a lot, but let's face it, the band is only going to play so many slower tunes at shows, and they have so many now that it'd be pretty difficult for that one to break through and get played.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2015, 05:36:49 AM »
I like Anna Lee a lot, but let's face it, the band is only going to play so many slower tunes at shows, and they have so many now that it'd be pretty difficult for that one to break through and get played.
Probably.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2015, 01:54:26 PM »
Next Tour, Part Ten-

Awake:

I have mixed feelings about 6:00, because it is one of my favorites, but it IS in Luna Park, so unless they re-work the arrangement, probably best not to play it for a while.

They're playing Caught in a Web on the current tour, and I don't like it anyway, so please NO!

Also don't like The Mirror or Lifting Shadows off a Dream, but they were both part of AftR tour / Bt4thW, so I probably have nothing to worry about.

The Silent Man is also in Luna Park, so unless they bring back the "electric" (LSFNY) version, best not to include it.

Lie, Scarred and Space-Dye Vest were all in Bt4thW as well, but I wouldn't mind if they brought SDV back again, because so far it's only been played on the one tour.

Innocence Faded might be okay too, but I'm not sure how popular it is.

Other than that, I think the best thing for them to do on the next tour would be to play Erotomania and/or Voices.