Author Topic: Walk Beside The Band - 10 years ago  (Read 4863 times)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Walk Beside The Band - 10 years ago
« on: July 22, 2015, 12:17:20 PM »
Hi all.

10 years ago, I was very busy with a project that was to be one of the most exciting experiences of my life. I had, at that point, been involved in DT matters by being an active moderator on the DT.net irc-channel since SFAM came out (I remember talking to Mike on the irc channel about the album weeks before its release) - and because of this a few years later I became a core member of the norwegian DT fan club (right around the time SDOIT came out).

In 2004, Mike Portnoy more or less announced the end of the fan club cd program he had started in 1996. So the fan clubs were scrambling for ideas. I brought up the idea of making a special DVD with backstage tours, concert footage and interviews, along with shots with fans and other stuff. 4 other fan clubs agreed, and since it was my idea, I took on the project as a project leader. In July 2005, we sent the proposal for the project to Mike, and 16th of July we received feedback that "I think it's a great idea and I'm gung-ho!" - and we were off planning. We were five clubs, and we were planning to make five segments focusing on one city each. Interview with a band member, venue setup, fan interviews and fan club events, along with an excerpt of a song. We were given permission to bring one camcorder. I asked if it was okay to bring two, and luckily they agreed.

Oslo was first up, so I brought with me a kid with media interest and an okay camera. We filmed at the DTNorway pre-party (which is something we've done for all headlining shows in norway to date), filmed around Oslo, and filmed the setup of the stage in the venue itself. Then we were invited backstage, where the production manager at that time took us on a guided tour in the dressing rooms. Then we were placed in John Petrucci's dressing room, and we made the first interview happen. Unfortunately, due to a major blunder by us, the audio for this interview was pretty bad - it was thin and hard to hear. We tried to salvage it as much as we could.

We were invited to dinner afterwards, and the whole experience was just surreal. Here I was, eating with the band and crew... Did I mention this was the first time I'd met -any- of them?

Then came time to do the show. I was unsure as to where to place the cameras. I placed one by the soundboard, which was hooked directly into the audio feed from the soundboard. This gave me a good shot of the entire stage.

Then i place myself with a zoom a bit up in the seated area. I shouldn't have done that, and I regret it to do this day; I should've gone down into the pit before the stage. Unfortunately, there was a security guard that wasn't informed that I was actually allowed to stay there. He tried to remove me just as the song started. I shouted at him to call his boss, cause he was screwing up my shot! I pointed at my "working crew" pass that they'd given me that day, and told him to call his boss (which I had just talked to a bit before, and who was informed about what to do). He scurried away, and I didn't see him again.

I managed to film the entire Panic Attack with the two cameras, but the quality for the video wasn't good. I was so unhappy. Two mistakes - audio was screwed up in the interview, and video was screwed up in the song. But, I thought, maybe this will be the charm of this project. This is, after all, a fan made tour documentary, bootleg style.

I brought my experience on to the rest of the team, so they could prepare for how to handle the shows. And the further into the project we got, the more professional and well shot the stuff was. We ended up with some killer footage, with one of the shows we shot later being released as the official DSOTM dvd, and the other was released the following year as the second fan club DVD.

The project was nearing completion with editing and all that stuff in december of 2005. I'd insisted that every city have its own editorial supervision over their segment, but I'd be the project director.

I also made the cover art for the project, with photos from the different concerts that year. I decided to keep the cover in a CD tray style, to fit the fan club collection. I also made another version which I made available online for people to print themselves:
I sent it for approval to Mike, and he thought it looked great, and approved the DVD and the artwork. I organized with a print shop to have them print the DVD and the artwork, paid the cost out of pocket. I organized with the copyright institution to get the correct rights for actually producing the DVD with audio. We paid this cost out of pocket. This was $12500 we had to pay, half of which was copyright! Anyways, a few weeks later, a pallet with 5000 DVDs appeared on my doorstep! I repackaged, and sent these out to the other fanclubs. We started shipping the DVD out to members all over the world. 5000 copies. I'd been a part of  a project that produced 5000 DVDs for Dream Theater. Insane. While I was writing my masters thesis no less.

Oh, and the german fan club had the idea to ask Jordan for some special songs that we could use in the interstitial segments. Jordan provided us with several clips, that we could use freely in the DVD menus and the movie.

I've dug up these clips, and edited them together to a 10 minute piece which you can listen to here: https://soundcloud.com/dtnorway/walkbesidetheband

Due to copyright, I can't link actual footage from the DVD here. There's a lot of it on youtube though...

Since it's now 10 years ago - I've decided to dig up 3 copies from my storage, and give them out here. Give me a damn good reason why I should give it to you - and you'll might just get lucky. No PM's though, keep it here!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Walk Beside The Band - 10 years ago
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 12:25:12 PM »
You should give one to me because I love you so much right now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 12:33:49 PM »
hefdaddy42: Wait, you don't have one already? This cannot stand. I'll see to that being corrected asap.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 12:43:13 PM »
noxon, that's very generous, and I must say, you guys did an OUTSTANDING job on this! :hefdaddy

As a member of VoicesUK, I have my original copy. And the subsequent Romeavarium is fantastic as well.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 12:52:35 PM »
hefdaddy42: Wait, you don't have one already? This cannot stand. I'll see to that being corrected asap.
I do not, but I would cherish it always.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 12:53:17 PM »
I'd love to have a copy because like so many people here....I've been listening to DT has for over 20 years. Their music has been playing in the background of my life as I've matured in life. Every DT song has a memory connected to it and when I hear them that memory re-animates and it's as fresh as the day it was made.

Looks like you put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into that project and it'd be awesome to own.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 01:20:35 PM »
Dream Theater has been a way of life for me, a way of living....the hard work, the dedication, the craftsmanship, attention to detail, etc...stuff that I try to apply most of the times in my life on whatever I do (professionally and personally).

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 01:22:48 PM »
I'm not commenting for the DVD, I'm pretty new to DT compared to these guys and think they deserve it way more, but I just wanted to say that it's amazing what you've done, great outcome!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 01:23:42 PM »
I would like a copy because I am unseasoned, and having a copy would make me... seasoned.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 01:25:05 PM »
Yeah, I don't need the copy, but both the work you've done and the outcome sounds bloody amazing. Great job here. :tup
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 01:48:04 PM »
I would like a copy because I am unseasoned, and having a copy would make me... seasoned.
lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 02:08:57 PM »
I don't see why I should deserve this DVD more than any other fan, as I don't see myself as more or less than any other die-hard DT fan that can be found in numbers up here on DTF. I'd just be cool to have this DVD, it looks and sounds like a labour of love, and out of those kind of efforts often come the best of results!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 02:21:10 PM »
I'd love to have this because it makes me remember the time I became a fan (Octavarium), which is a time of my life I'll always hold dear... and because it's difficult to get these sort of treats down here in Mexico!

:blush :blush :blush :blush :blush
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 02:22:50 PM »
I got my copy from Voices UK in 2005/06... I'm excited for any fan that gets this, cuz it was a very cool piece of DT history. Shot on my favorite tour of the band, and has a lot of great songs. The 'A Fortune In Lies' is rippin'! Great job on the DVD noxon! Thanks for all the hard work!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 02:24:22 PM »
 :omg: I must have this to complete my collection!  :hefdaddy

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 02:25:10 PM »
Not needing a copy either, but I just want to echo all the props on the hard work you and the others did in putting this DVD together!  :tup

Oh and don't give hef a copy - he should've been in the fan club and gotten one then!   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 02:28:34 PM »
I'd rather see Hef beg a bit more myself.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 02:53:41 PM »
Wow, that's some serious work and dedication!  I'd love a copy as I was not a fan just yet (I became a fan shortly before the release of Score).  3 is my lucky number and you said you'd pick 3 people, so hopefully I am lucky!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 03:13:05 PM »
No comments on the soundtrack soundcloud though?

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 03:38:30 PM »
I don't like Dream Theater that much, but i'm a member of dtf and i got a dvd reader so what the fuck.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 04:18:34 PM »
I don't like Dream Theater that much, but i'm a member of dtf and i got a dvd reader so what the fuck.

That DVD is yours, man  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline paulstfu

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 04:29:06 PM »
First of all, you did a GREAT job. Putting a DVD together is difficult, props to you for being the director of the project. Now, I'll love to have a copy but I have no experience about shipments and those sort of things, but If you want a good reason to give me a copy, just look at my profile picture/avatar  :biggrin:
And once again, what a wonderful work you did 10 years ago, you're truly a enormous fan of DT.

No comments on the soundtrack soundcloud though?

To me, the first part sounds like a demo of Octavarium's begining. The other parts are amazing! I'd love to hear something like that on a DT album.

WE HAVE A WINNER, OH GOD  :rollin

I'd love to have this because it makes me remember the time I became a fan (Octavarium), which is a time of my life I'll always hold dear... and because it's difficult to get these sort of treats down here in Mexico!

:blush :blush :blush :blush :blush

Y más si vives fuera de chilangolandia  :biggrin:
Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 07:25:12 PM »
I want this because I'm honest.
I'm a selfish pig and if I can have something DT related that others don't, come to me.
I don't care about you all, at all.

EDIT: Well No, I actually do love you guys.
Still I'm a selfish pr*ck and want this.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2015, 08:20:04 PM »
First of all, that was a cool story.  I love hearing Behind the Scenes stuff.  As far as why I should get a copy, I think the best reason I have is that I am trying to get everything officially produced by Dream Theater.  With all of the cool fanclub stuff, that is incredibly difficult.  A year or two ago a member on the forum was selling his whole collection of fanclub magazines and I bought them.  While I got a pretty good deal, it was still pretty expensive.  I also have only been able to buy one official fan club CD (Taste the Memories) and am on the lookout for stuff that fits my budget which unfortunately is pretty rare.  I am lucky enough to say I own every official DT release including official bootlegs (with the exception of the Chile DVD which I will pick up soon).  I even have most of Mike Portnoy's drumcams even though I am not a drummer.  So I'm a pretty worthy candidate and love Behind the Scenes stuff.  Of all the DVDs I own, I have watched the bonus features of probably 90% of them and listened to the vast majority of the commentaries.  I live for that stuff. 

Regardless, very cool of you to do this along with putting up the Jordan Rudess file on soundcloud.  I am digging it.  Most JR stuff I hear on his own is a bit too prog but I really love the moodiness of this.  Maybe I should seek out more JR stuff.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 12:04:49 AM »
Today, July 23rd is my birthday tho... :c
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 05:47:18 AM »
Yes, great job!  It is really awesome to a part of this community where people involved with the band post and give us the inside story.  I appreciate all the hard work that was done to put this together orginally and the thoughtfulness of making this offer now.  You can certainly count me in for a copy.  It is the only item left that I've been looking for. 

Congrats to anyone who gets a copy.  I'm sure any of us would be proud to own a copy of this!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2015, 06:54:20 AM »
I'd rather see Hef beg a bit more myself.

Just kidding.  I don't deserve it any more than anyone else.  But I would love to see it, and I've always admired the work you've done for the fanclubs, and the early reviews you've given for the albums.  Good stuff, noxon.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2015, 08:16:10 AM »
I feel a simple raffle would be best.

Random. Fair. Who could argue?

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2015, 09:12:46 AM »
Give two away and designate the third to be the DTF copy.  We'll start a thread and everyone will sign up to have it for 1 week.  The people in this thread are automatically signed up first.  After you've had it you are responsible to pay for the shipping to the next person on the list. :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2015, 10:51:45 AM »
I swear I have a copy of this somewhere... could it have been up on Dime a number of years ago?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2015, 10:57:16 AM »
This is an international matter.

I need one... FOR MY COUNTRY: Argentina.

:metal

A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2015, 04:22:57 PM »
I have to say this: i deserve one because i'm the only one that claimed its desire to get a copy twice, and the only one who cared enough to write again after a week.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2015, 04:36:13 PM »
I would love to have one if I am fortunate enough to be counted among the worthy.  But, ultimately, this is how I feel:
I don't see why I should deserve this DVD more than any other fan, as I don't see myself as more or less than any other die-hard DT fan that can be found in numbers up here on DTF. I'd just be cool to have this DVD, it looks and sounds like a labour of love, and out of those kind of efforts often come the best of results!
Other than that, I'll just let my resume from running this place speak for itself.  If you think I deserve one, that is amazingly cool.  If not, I am happy for whoever gets them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2015, 03:09:15 PM »
I highly doubt I was gonna be picked anyway, but just to let you know I went and bought a copy on Discogs... I just couldn't wait  ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2015, 06:57:18 PM »
Bosk deserves one and frankly I can't believe he doesn't already have one.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol