Author Topic: Puppies On Acid (Live 1993 Rocky Point Palladium Warwick) - bootleg or official?  (Read 4591 times)

Offline ProgressiveIce

https://www.amazon.it/Puppies-Acid-Rocky-Point-Palladium/dp/B00UW4G8Q4/

Does anyone know more about this release? The quality appears to be abysmal according to comments around the web, and my guess is that it's a (poor) bootleg based on a radio broadcast recording. However, someone pointed out that it's also sold by (allegedly) reputable sellers such as Concert Live. Then again, it would seem strange that DT would release a 22 year old live recording, and even if they did, I'd have expected some sort of official announcement.

Any other opinions?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
This is NOT an official release.  It is a bootleg.  Others who are more involved in the bootleg community can likely give more info, but this is not a Dream Theater release. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

Bosk is right to an extent - it isn't an official band sanctioned release. But, (I believe) it is a legal release, unlike the old factory-pressed CD bootlegs of old. There's another thread that already is discussing this release here:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43622.msg1950327#msg1950327
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I figured the cavalry would be along eventually.  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
And it was my first DT concert.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
You know, I have never completely understood why people keep referring to it as Puppies on Acid. While it may have had that temporary name back in the day, in the end it's just the beginning of The Mirror.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think calling the Bootleg The Beginning Of The Mirror  is a bit too long. :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

I think calling the Bootleg The Beginning Of The Mirror  is a bit too long. :D
LOL! I think rumby was referring to the name of the song, not the bootleg.   :lol

But to answer your question rumby, I think it actually is thanx to the band and/or MP, since they were the ones to continue referring to it as Puppies on Acid, instead of part of The Mirror. If you look at OiaL or the LA official bootleg (1998/05/18), you'll notice that it's referred to as Puppies on Acid on both of those releases; even when MP was giving me the setlists for each show, it was always listed as Puppies on Acid. So it stands to reason that the fans merely followed suit.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ProgressiveIce

Wonderful, thanks a lot bosk and Scotty! :)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I always thought, that when they played Puppies On Acid, that the "Puppies On Acid" melody differed from the melody ultimately played on The Mirror?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline RaiseTheKnife

It was originally faster in its 1993 debut, and JP played it on a 6 string.  They slowed it down for Awake and brought on the 7 string.  Oh, and it had joke lyrics in its early days. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

Oh, and it had joke lyrics in its early days.
Huh? This is the first I've heard about this. Where are said lyrics to fit into that 1.5 minutes? And at what show were these lyrics sung?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
There were no real lyrics, just joke lyrics to explain the melody.

"Puppies on Acid, such a pretty sight"

Or something like that. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I don't think I've ever heard lyrics over this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
So "A Crack in the Mirror" refers to the jam of the end riff of the song? I was always so confused when I'd see it on setlists.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I don't think I've ever heard lyrics over this.
It wasn't anything to actually be sung, and it was never performed with lyrics.  It was just something that MP and JP did. 

They talked about in on one of the DVDs, either in behind the scenes stuff or maybe one of the commentaries.  They sang it then, but it was just joke stuff, nothing serious.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

They talked about in on one of the DVDs, either in behind the scenes stuff or maybe one of the commentaries.  They sang it then, but it was just joke stuff, nothing serious.

Yes, the Live in Tokyo Commentary, I believe.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Setlist Scotty

So "A Crack in the Mirror" refers to the jam of the end riff of the song? I was always so confused when I'd see it on setlists.
No. It was a new intro added to the beginning of The Mirror/Puppies on Acid, as played on the Waking Up the World and Touring Into Infinity tours. The first 1:13 of this video is A Crack in the Mirror:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nNN6ovZbQA

Ah OK - now that you guys mention it, it sounds vaguely familiar. Been several years since I've watched the video, let alone with the commentary, so that's why I don't remember it. Gonna have to watch it again one of these days...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
There were no real lyrics, just joke lyrics to explain the melody.

"Puppies on Acid, such a pretty sight"

Or something like that. 

I recall something like "Puppies on acid, aren't they such a tasty treat?".

It was definitely LiT.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
No. It was a new intro added to the beginning of The Mirror/Puppies on Acid, as played on the Waking Up the World and Touring Into Infinity tours. The first 1:13 of this video is A Crack in the Mirror:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nNN6ovZbQA

Right, but it's just the riff from the end of the song, plus some random other metal riff, and keyboard noodles. So Puppies on Acid is the intro and A Crack in the Mirror is the ending, inexplicably put at the beginning for a minute.

I know the origin of POA but ACITM is just such a weird and arbitrary thing. They could have just jammed on that riff when it actually occurs in the song, when they were playing it. Actually, it makes more sense that it had the specific name in '97-'98 when they WEREN'T playing the full song!