Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 189017 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Back on the bandwagon
« Reply #245 on: October 20, 2015, 07:10:37 PM »
No shit... when I'm in a deficit phase, my calorie goal is 1800-2200.

Yep, 1800-2000 for me.  Loving my protein shakes at the moment.  Have to as the calories add up way too quick.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #246 on: October 20, 2015, 10:27:00 PM »
However you compare Insanity to the good ol' gym, there's nothing quite like having Shaun T yelling at you to "jack it out."
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: October 20, 2015, 10:49:27 PM »
That guy does seem legit.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #248 on: October 21, 2015, 01:04:35 PM »
So for a while now, I've been using a couch to 5K program to help me get accustomed to building up endurance for running.  Man, getting out at lunch and running along the river is really surprisingly freeing.  Sure, I get exhausted, but it feels good to just go and think about nothing else but bitchin' tunes in my ear and a downriver breeze.

Today, I had an idea to download a metronome to my phone.  I have a habit of often trying to match pace to the different the tempos of whatever tune is playing.  So I figured if I have a metronome ticking in the background, I can set myself a specific pace to try to follow, so that I don't speed up or slow down and maybe it would help keep me focused.  I set it for 140 bpm and that's not too bad.  I'll keep it at that for a little while before I start trying to increase it a little.  Although beautiful days like today aren't going to happen much more often this year and I have ZERO motivation to get out and run when it's cold out.

I'm still getting the hang of all this and I really only get (or make) the time to get out and run a couple times a week.  I'm pleased with myself that I survived two 10 minute jogs today at 140 bpm.  Got a lot of work to do, and I totally want to.  For now, I'm happy knowing that I'm making some sort of effort to do better for myself.

City Island in Harrisburg (an island in the middle of the Susquehanna River, home of the Harrisburg Senators baseball team AND stadium, parking, and a walking bridge to and from the Harrisburg side of the river) - the loop around it is .8 miles.  I made that in 10:44 today, which was my best time yet (according to Strava, which I really like).  Yay me!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #249 on: October 21, 2015, 01:42:37 PM »
 :tup :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: October 21, 2015, 10:23:53 PM »
Did chest/back tonight.  Man these workouts kick (my) ass.  But, I'm already seeing gains on the reps.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: October 22, 2015, 06:38:16 AM »
Good shoulder day today.  A nice 30kg dumbbell shoulder press in there too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: October 22, 2015, 09:00:43 AM »
Good shoulder day today.  A nice 30kg dumbbell shoulder press in there too.

Sweet.  I remember days of doing 60lb DB presses.

*le sigh*

Will get back there eventually.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: October 22, 2015, 04:37:03 PM »
Never give up bro.  You can do it.  :tup

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #254 on: October 26, 2015, 12:46:18 PM »
164.0 on the nose weigh in this morning....down 24.6lbs in this challenge with 25 days to go. I can see 160lbs so I'm gonna take a shot at it....

Looking forward to this Trail Half Marathon I'm running this weekend now that I've shed those lbs I wanted to lose. I run this race every spring and it's a brutal Trail Run...nothing flat at all it's all hills....It's called the "Quivering Quads" for a reason....but I'm looking forward to running it now that I'm lighter and have been running more. The spring run this year was rough. On top of the fact I was 24lbs heavier...there was about 6 inches of snow and ice on the trail. this saturday should be nice running conditions.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: October 26, 2015, 02:13:42 PM »
I'm trying something new with my diet as from yesterday.  About 95% of my carbs are going to be consumed post workout.  I train at around 5pm so my food up til then will just protein shakes, meat and green veg.  After training I consume potatoes, yoghurt, oats and whatever else.  Sounds like bro science, but I'll try anything.  Combine it with some light IF and see what happens.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #256 on: October 26, 2015, 09:25:23 PM »
That sounds tough, wolfking. How do you function with so few carbs??
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: October 27, 2015, 05:51:17 AM »
That sounds tough, wolfking. How do you function with so few carbs??

Second day in and feeling pretty okay.  Through the day is really quite tough.  I never thought taking the carbs out of my meat and veg meals during the day would be so difficult.  I make up for it at night post workout though.  I generally go quite low carb anyway, but moving all carbs to around 8pm is a challenge by that stage.  I'll add carbs in again on the weekend too to refeed.  Just have to be mentally tough, protein shakes also, and LOADS of water.  My workouts though, surprisingly have been good these past two days also.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: October 27, 2015, 09:03:41 AM »
Wolf, what's your goal weight?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: October 27, 2015, 04:24:00 PM »
Wolf, what's your goal weight?

I don't have a goal weight really.  It's down to body composition and definition now.  I've come a long way, and my goal is a decent looking six pack.  In the mornings I can see the top two, but have a nice layer of fat still on my mid to lower abdomen.  My chest is coming along and back is looking quite good.  This is the hardest part.  The lower your fat levels, the harder it is to lose.  I don't even know what my weight is.  I think it's around 170-175 pounds, so I don't want to drop any more, but probably have to a couple more pounds of fat.  I don't mind losing the weight as long as I'm maintaining my strength in the gym, which I am at the moment.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #260 on: October 28, 2015, 05:01:50 AM »
I have a combination for the best diet plan to lose weight with minimal exercise and it was completely unintentional.  I was about 205 last summer and now I'm 165. The trick is simple. Go through an unrelenting depression which precludes any desire for eating. Get a job with New York City Transit because the amount of steps I go up and down on a daily basis with a bag on my back that's easily 40-50 pounds is ludicrous. Don't be hatin!   ;D   

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: October 28, 2015, 05:09:41 AM »
I have a combination for the best diet plan to lose weight with minimal exercise and it was completely unintentional.  I was about 205 last summer and now I'm 165. The trick is simple. Go through an unrelenting depression which precludes any desire for eating. Get a job with New York City Transit because the amount of steps I go up and down on a daily basis with a bag on my back that's easily 40-50 pounds is ludicrous. Don't be hatin!   ;D   

Whatever works man.  People underestimate how much a busy lifestyle can impact on your ability to shove food in your face.  It's not the best way, but it's certainly a positive.  Don't be down though brother.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #262 on: October 28, 2015, 05:23:43 AM »

Whatever works man.  People underestimate how much a busy lifestyle can impact on your ability to shove food in your face.  It's not the best way, but it's certainly a positive.  Don't be down though brother.

I'm not down anymore and feel better than I have in a long time. I was being facetious.   :D   

Now I'm trying to gain some weight back. I'm an ectomorph so gaining weight is ridiculously hard.  As far as exercise I don't have time for a gym, so I'll be using bodyweight exercises at home. 

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #263 on: November 18, 2015, 08:07:37 AM »
I'm down to 175. Goal is 160. If only I could quit the booze!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: November 18, 2015, 12:38:42 PM »
Submitted my final weigh in for our company weight loss challenge. Official weigh in weight on August 28th was 188.6 lbs. Official weigh out weight on November 10th was 161 lbs for a total loss of 14.63%

Ran 5 Miles or more a minimum of 4 times a week, most of the time it was 5 days a week
I eliminated all Carbs (the easy ones to identify like chips, fries, bread etc.) Altered my breakfast and lunch intake. Breakfast was an EAS Protein shake, (2) scoops of the powder is 150 calories plus I threw a bananna in there. My lunches everyday were a handful of 'baby' carrots, a hard boiled egg and a 160z Equate Weight Loss drink. didn't really alter my dinner intake much as far as 'what' I ate but I did alter the portions.

I accomplished what I wanted and that was get back to where I was 2 years ago prior to having my 'routine' interrupted and thrown off by building a home. I am going to stick with this new routine for a while....or as long as I can.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: November 18, 2015, 01:37:55 PM »
That's awesome Gary.   :tup :tup

I'm still plugging away, almost through Phase 1 of my p90x session.  I'm getting results, just not seeing/feeling it yet.  As I recall last time I really dedicated to a fitness and nutrition routine, it took about a month to kick my body into gear.  So, now I'm gonna get really disciplined with nutrition, and get the outcome I'm aiming for.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: November 18, 2015, 03:08:43 PM »
Great job!  :tup

Offline Ħ

« Reply #267 on: November 21, 2015, 08:12:52 PM »
Congratulations, Gary! :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #268 on: November 21, 2015, 10:12:42 PM »
Nice work, Gary!  :tup :tup

Sadly, my goal of exercising regularly and losing weight has been derailed.  Since working sitting down again, I've had fairly constant neck and upper back soreness, and I have now reached the point to where any exercise results in quite a lot of pain for days.  My posture when I sit at work is a big part of it, which I have tried to rectify lately, but the soreness continues (and the occasional migraine, too). I am actually in search of a new M.D. and might get an MRI to see if I have a pinched nerve or something that needs more than just rest or better posture.  It sucks, but it is what it is.  And unfortunately, I am one of those people that just cannot make myself eat right if I am not exercising regularly, so I guess I will be stuck in the 205-210 range until I get whatever this is fixed and/or feeling better.  It's no fun getting old. :lol

Update: I had sciatica problems, which came to a head about two months ago when it bothered me so much, I had pain in my upper left leg (quad, hamstring, glute) and I had to take an anti-inflammatory steroid for 10 days to get rid of the pain. Since then, I have gone to a physical therapist about 7-8 times and that has helped big time.  I have tons of awesome stretches I do every day now, and I have lifted the past three days with no pain afterwards (except the normal soreness from lifting), so I am hopeful that I can finally get back in the habit of exercising regularly and finally getting under 200 lbs again (which I haven't been under since the spring of 2013).  Here's hoping!!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: November 21, 2015, 10:31:24 PM »
Hope that does the trick Kev. Back problems are a friggin nightmare. Fortunately thus far I've been lucky and not had any up to this point in my life but my wife has a bulging disc that she's received (2) cortisone shots for......if it acts up again it's surgery. And, a good buddy of mine just had two vertebrate fused together last week due to a bulging disc that the Dr. told him was one of the worst cases he'd seen. He's 38.

Having witnessed my wife when she was in tears and couldn't move to visiting my buddy last week.....I'm thankful for not having had to suffer that pain and feel horrible for those of you who've had to.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #270 on: November 21, 2015, 10:39:39 PM »
Dang, a bulging disc sounds awful. :(  Hope she is doing better soon!!  Oh, and your buddy too of course.  :coolio

For me, it is very encouraging that the soreness is like 5% of what it was even a month ago, when I had days where I could feel a bit of soreness in my lower back around the waistline and glutes, to the point where walking fast was even difficult at times.  I felt like such an old man. :lol :lol  To be feeling better and exercising again is so exhilarating! And I know that even losing just 10 lbs (20 is the goal) will take so much pressure off of my back and sciatica, so it is win-win all-around.  Gonna be tough with the holidays coming up, and not being as young as I used to be :censored, but it is mind over matter...so long as Father Time doesn't punch me in the face again any time soon. :lol :lol

Plus, we are moving offices soon, and we will be minutes from a gym that has a giant pool, so I will be ditching Club Fitness and joining that gym and trying to swim as much as possible.  It will be easy to just pop in for a quick swim after work at 5. :hat

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #271 on: May 21, 2016, 09:04:37 AM »
Update: sciatica pain did not come back in my back at all, but it did in the upper part of my left hamstring and groin, to where it has felt for two months like I have a slight groin pull.  Anti-Inflammatories are giving some relief lately, but they are just a temporary fix (I DO NOT want to take them regularly, and you should not anyway). 

To that end, I began Crossfit this morning.  Just completed the first workout a bit ago and am still baked in sweat. :lol :lol  But these workouts should help out my flexibility and mobility a ton.

Oh, and to prove once again that diet is what matters most when it comes to losing weight, I am down 15 lbs since January 1st, even though I have barely exercised since then.  I still eat whatever I want most of the time, but it's all a matter of portion sizes and not snacking in between meals and whatnot. Just a couple lbs away from being under 200 for the first time in over three years. :coolio

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #272 on: May 22, 2016, 09:00:56 PM »
To that end, I began Crossfit this morning.  Just completed the first workout a bit ago and am still baked in sweat. :lol :lol  But these workouts should help out my flexibility and mobility a ton.

:tup

what was your first workout?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #273 on: May 22, 2016, 09:07:15 PM »
A bunch of little stretches and stuff to get us warmed up and then the WOD was:

500 meter row
40 squats
30 sit-ups
20 push-ups
10 pull-ups

I got through most of it, but hit the wall about halfway through the pushups and was lucky to finish them; I felt like I was going to vomit (which is not unusual when you work out your legs really hard).  I did not do the pull-ups.  :lol

My legs are on fire today...and tomorrow is going to be worse. :eek :eek

Already signed up for the On Ramp Squat workout Tuesday evening.  :coolio

As long as my sciatica doesn't cause my leg and groin pain to flare up, I am sticking with this.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #274 on: May 22, 2016, 09:29:57 PM »
sounds good.  Those body-weight exercises are deceptively tough.  I've been doing crossfit for about 3.5 years or so.  As long as you stay consistent, you'll see a big change.

We had a tough one yesterday

1 round of
100 double unders
30 body blasters (1 burpee + 1 chest-to-bar pull up + 1 knees to elbows = 1 body blaster)
10 power cleans at 65% of your 1 rep max

then
2 rounds of
50 double unders
15 body blasters
5 power cleans at 70% of your 1 rep max

then
3 rounds of
25 double unders
10 body blasters
3 power cleans at 75% of your 1 rep max

body blasters suck.  And those cleans got really heavy.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #275 on: May 22, 2016, 09:31:43 PM »
I don't know what most of those are yet :lol but I will learn. My brother has been doing Crossfit for like five years now, so I know what to expect.  I have no desire to lift heavy and do all kind of crazy stuff; I am too old to be doing that crap and injuries will be befall me if I do.  I just want to get more fit and flexible.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: May 22, 2016, 09:51:47 PM »
Oh, and to prove once again that diet is what matters most when it comes to losing weight, I am down 15 lbs since January 1st, even though I have barely exercised since then.  I still eat whatever I want most of the time, but it's all a matter of portion sizes and not snacking in between meals and whatnot. Just a couple lbs away from being under 200 for the first time in over three years. :coolio

Good work mate.  Do you know how many calories you are hitting daily, and what your target deficit is?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #277 on: May 22, 2016, 11:15:02 PM »
The county aka my new employer is big on health and wellness. They are giving away free Fitbits to people who get a wellness checkup at the employee clinic, and log their physical activity for like 2 weeks.  The main Government Center is right across the street from me and has walking paths around and through it. I am going to start bringing my shoes and walking at lunch :)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #278 on: May 23, 2016, 05:42:36 AM »

Good work mate.  Do you know how many calories you are hitting daily, and what your target deficit is?

Not really; I just know that I have drastically cut the number I take in per day.  I still treat myself to a pizza every couple weeks and some good BBQ once a week, but I am good most of the rest of the time.  And with the workouts starting again, I will bust out the whey and start doing protein shakes again.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: May 23, 2016, 02:38:27 PM »
Summer is here and I've been working on getting my beach bod ready.  Seriously, no beach bod for me, but almost 2 full months into my "getting back in shape after last summer" and I am feeling much better about myself.  Typically I just ride my exercise bike and might add in some dumbbell exercises.  Been pretty strong with my diet too.  Typical day:

One pack of oatmeal for breakfast
A lean cuisine (or similar) for lunch
A strawberry/banana protein shake after my after work workout
Something very light for dinner, maybe a grilled chicken breat and vegetables, maybe just a pack of oatmeal.  Usually small and simple, no carbs with the dinner.
And then if I am starving later at night, my snack is a fiber one 150 calorie bar and if I am hungry at work I have a large container of mixed unsalted nuts.

Haven't had a single soda in almost 2 months now and no alcohol Sunday-Thursday.