Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 188938 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Back on the bandwagon
« Reply #210 on: September 04, 2015, 04:02:07 PM »
p.s. I walk pretty fast too and i'm not really overweight to begin with.

Last time I checked I was like 175 lbs and i'm 5'8" tall.

Which the BMI says is "borderline" but i've been told that it doesn't account for how you're built.

Yeah, you're not that overweight at all.  That's what makes it harder to, you're at a point where if you really want to cut down more effort and change is needed.  Really overweight people lose easily just with a few changes because they have so much to go.  The less body fat you have, the harder it is to lose.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: September 04, 2015, 04:06:21 PM »
It may sound bad but I eat a lot of veg too because we prepare salads for meals so I have slices of cucumber or tomatoes or lettuce here and there :P

I usually eat fuck loads of fruit too. I forgot to mention that :lol

But yeah the cola is the hardest thing to cut out since it's my favourite soft drink besides this amazing new lemon & ginger tea I've discovered :o

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: September 04, 2015, 04:12:59 PM »
It may sound bad but I eat a lot of veg too because we prepare salads for meals so I have slices of cucumber or tomatoes or lettuce here and there :P

I usually eat fuck loads of fruit too. I forgot to mention that :lol

But yeah the cola is the hardest thing to cut out since it's my favourite soft drink besides this amazing new lemon & ginger tea I've discovered :o

This wouldn't help either bro.

Sounds a pain, but you really gotta take notice of how much you actually eat.  maybe keep a log or food diary which can help too.  And definitely take notice of what you put in while you are preparing the food, it would add it to more than you think.  Everything adds up.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: September 04, 2015, 04:14:24 PM »
Ah well I mainly eat fruit to stay healthy. Not for any fitness reasons :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #214 on: September 04, 2015, 06:43:41 PM »
The whole metabolism thing IMO is overrated.   

Totally disagree.  The faster your metabolism moves, the easier it is to lose weight.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #215 on: September 04, 2015, 07:08:22 PM »
^ Yup.  Metabolism plays a huge part.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cable

« Reply #216 on: September 05, 2015, 06:39:38 AM »
Insanity going good. Definitely improving performance-wise. Don't see anything visually yet. (The factor I care about the most.  :biggrin:)

Awesome! "Just keep swimming."  ;)

As slow as my results are, the performance is my happiest by-product. More so to me still, energy and mood regulation. Health and Fitness was always part of the coping strategies I sold to clients, but never fully went at it myself. I am pleasantly amazed what it does on that end.

So at the end, if right you are just noticing performance gains, that is still a bonus.
---

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: September 07, 2015, 03:29:51 PM »
The whole metabolism thing IMO is overrated.   

Totally disagree.  The faster your metabolism moves, the easier it is to lose weight.

^ Yup.  Metabolism plays a huge part.

But, people use this as an excuse too easily.  It doesn't matter how fast my metabolism is, it doesn't mean I can eat a shitload more food.  Point is, no matter how fast your metabolism is, if you eat too many calories you'll put on weight.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: September 07, 2015, 04:59:45 PM »
I literally only eat when i'm hungry. Even then it's barely anything. Plus I walk about 10 miles a day. Pretty briskly too.

I spend hours every day at work carrying things around - sometimes walking down and up the hill ( about 300 yards ) when we need something from the supermarket.

And yet. I've worked there for 3 months and *barely* seen any results.

Ehh. Maybe I need to cut down on pasta :p

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: September 18, 2015, 12:14:21 PM »
Workout folks, my 80 gig iPod classic of 12 years is finally giving out on me so I'm retiring it to iPod Florida (car-only duties) and looking for a new smaller portable music player, I know it would be too ambitious to find something small and over 16gig at a good price, recommendations?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: September 18, 2015, 01:37:09 PM »
Workout folks, my 80 gig iPod classic of 12 years is finally giving out on me so I'm retiring it to iPod Florida (car-only duties) and looking for a new smaller portable music player, I know it would be too ambitious to find something small and over 16gig at a good price, recommendations?

Your phone?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: September 18, 2015, 02:09:23 PM »
It's a Samsung Galaxy S3 and it doesn't have enough space for music or good software to play it, besides it's not small enough to workout with.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: September 18, 2015, 02:18:32 PM »
It's a Samsung Galaxy S3 and it doesn't have enough space for music or good software to play it, besides it's not small enough to workout with.

I was sure the S3 had an SD card slot so for some money you could add a 64GB card (maybe like 30 bucsk without looking) but that doesnt solve the size problem although I don't see how that is to large, they make arm bands or whatever.  My coworker has one for his s3 then s5 and now s6 that he uses for working out.  That's my best sugestions, much cheaper than any other solution and then you have your music wherever you are.  I can't imagine life without music on my phone now.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: September 18, 2015, 09:42:13 PM »
I can't imagine life without music on my phone now.

Yup... I specifically got the 128GB iPhone 6 so that I could hold my library.  My last iPhone was (only) 64GB, and anytime I bought a new album, I had to think about what I would need to delete to get it to fit.

God help me when my 160GB iPod classic goes!

Back to the question though... I have no idea.  Use the Galaxy and get a pair of bluetooth wireless headphones?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ħ

« Reply #224 on: September 19, 2015, 02:00:01 PM »
Kept with Insanity for about 4 weeks now. I can tell that the program has really helped both my body composition and my proportions. Though I don't have much muscle or definition, I feel much better "shaped" after a month of this program. Flexibility is higher too - I don't get the lower back pain that I used to.

I've been eating whatever I want, too - a mix of healthy and unhealthy stuff, no real rules or regulations.

I'd highly recommend Insanity to anyone who is trying to get in balanced shape. It doesn't take too much time each day, and you don't have to go to a gym to do it.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #225 on: September 19, 2015, 05:07:21 PM »
Hey Chad.....

183.1 on 9/28
172.8 this morning

10.3lbs in 22 days.

As far as my work competition goes I'm down a total of 15.8lbs.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: September 20, 2015, 06:39:19 AM »
Hey Chad.....

183.1 on 9/28
172.8 this morning

10.3lbs in 22 days.

As far as my work competition goes I'm down a total of 15.8lbs.

Yeah, well...  I guarantee you're winning our bet.  My body isn't responding too well.  Didn't get too much working out in this week, and was over at friends last night munching on stuff and a couple of glasses of wine.  Plus two concerts are putting a crimp into my discretionary time.

Glad to hear things are going awesome for you.  Hopefully there's that payoff at the end too.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: September 20, 2015, 10:59:10 AM »
I love to go on walks to listen to new mixes. It's the best way. You're 100% focused on the music when walking around with headphones on and can spot anything that needs fixing.

At least for me. :)

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: September 20, 2015, 05:24:18 PM »
Hopefully there's that payoff at the end too.

Our team total % lost right now is "only" at 4.4%. I say only because there is a team killing it at 8.9% and I don't think they can be beat. Meaning, there was plenty of um..uh...cushion for the pushin' when they started and it appears they are really in to it. Only three of the five people on our team at this point are throwing a solid effort at it. I'm pretty confident I'm going to drop the 20lbs I vowed to drop but at this point I'm not expecting the big pay day. Pretty sure I'll qualify for $100 gift card for losing over 6% and if I can get to and keep off 12% for six months I can recoup my $70 buy in.

I'm just happy that this work challenge was the thing I needed to kick my butt into gear.

Hopefully you can get some things to line up for you to get a regiment and schedule in place to get to your goal.  :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: September 20, 2015, 09:59:48 PM »
We'll see.  I'm not overly optimistic given some recent turns of events.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #230 on: September 20, 2015, 10:01:22 PM »
230lbs end of May. 184lbs now.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: September 20, 2015, 10:13:58 PM »
We'll see.  I'm not overly optimistic given some recent turns of events.

Sounds like it's time to catch up again.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: September 20, 2015, 10:14:40 PM »

:clap: that is awesome!

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #233 on: September 21, 2015, 08:34:04 AM »

:clap: that is awesome!

Mostly from working 12-16 hour shifts and not eating. I've sort of plateaued because I'm trying to eat a little more so I don't put the weight on as fast as I've lost it. So I'm looking for foods that will make me feel full, or that I can snack on pretty well without doing too much harm. I've done smoothies, and they help a lot. But it's when I'm at home that I get into trouble.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #234 on: October 09, 2015, 10:09:06 AM »
I'm finding with my metabolism and exercise routine that I simply can't eat enough to gain much more weight.  I just don't have the appetite and I already feel like I am eating all day long.  Lately I've been making a "weight gainer" shake a couple of nights a week:

12 oz whole milk
1 scoop of ice cream
2 tablespoons of peanut butter
1 banana
2 scoops protein powder
1 cup of oats
1 cup of ice

comes out to about 1300 calories and 95 grams of protein
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: October 09, 2015, 10:15:03 AM »
Weighed in on Wednesday......168.2.    Down 20.4lbs since August 28th and only 3.2lbs from being where I'd like to be. Now I'm starting to get greedy and gonna try to shoot for 160. Our work weight loss challenge goes to November 20th, so...until then I'm going to stick with what's been working and see where I end up.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: October 09, 2015, 10:34:04 AM »
Jesus, Jon.  That's a ton!  But, good for your situation and goals.

Was gonna start p90x last weekend, but being the old fart I am, I tweaked my back so had to push it off.  Gonna start on Sunday.  Didn't quite make my Oct 1 goal of being at 200... I'm down to 205, so 9lbs in 2 months - not terrible, but not what I was aiming for.  So long as I can stay on track with p90x, I know that program delivers results.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #237 on: October 19, 2015, 08:33:34 PM »
You're starting P90x too? Nice! I'm gonna start the week after you. I'm on the last week of Insanity. It has been Insane. I didn't quite get ripped, but I think that has more to do with lack of muscle than actual leanness. I actually gained about 5 pounds (though I ate decently).

Congrats to gmillerdrake for the weight loss! Bet you feel a lot better.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: October 19, 2015, 09:22:34 PM »
Congrats to gmillerdrake for the weight loss! Bet you feel a lot better.

Thanks Bro! I do. The biggest difference I can tell is that my running pace is definately getting back to where I was a couple years ago. I'm street running around an 8:00-8:30 minute mile and my trail,runs have been around 9:00 miles.....and i haven't had that pace in a while. It's not like I'm breaking records, it's not anything special but it just 'feels' good. It's amazing what dropping some extra lbs will do for you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: October 19, 2015, 10:05:53 PM »
I'm finding with my metabolism and exercise routine that I simply can't eat enough to gain much more weight.  I just don't have the appetite and I already feel like I am eating all day long.  Lately I've been making a "weight gainer" shake a couple of nights a week:

12 oz whole milk
1 scoop of ice cream
1 banana
2 scoops protein powder
1 cup of oats
1 cup of ice

Amazing shake, must taste incredible.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: October 19, 2015, 10:15:20 PM »
Just finished my first week of p90x, and it feels good.  Quite achy, but in a good way.  I paced myself - it's been 5 years since I did a session of this, and the body just ain't what it used to be.  So, I (wisely) paced myself and didn't push too hard.  Also didn't start the ab routines yet - again, part of my pacing.  And I just don't have the disposable time to be able to do it 6 days a week - so it's gonna be more like p120x :lol.  Plus my travel schedule throws things out of whack a little.

After this round, I think I'll hammer out a round of Insanity in the spring, then get into a more regular weightlifting routine.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: October 20, 2015, 06:01:01 AM »
Even though I've been hell consistent with my training, I don't think I could commit to one of those programs, just a different style tha I don't think is for me.  If the results are legit though, they are great programs.  I dot my own HIIT cardio anyway which should cover it.  Of course, not as intricate as these, they certainly would hurt.  Keep it up man.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #242 on: October 20, 2015, 08:44:40 AM »

12 oz whole milk
1 scoop of ice cream
1 banana
2 scoops protein powder
1 cup of oats
1 cup of ice

I love it.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: October 20, 2015, 06:13:53 PM »

12 oz whole milk
1 scoop of ice cream
1 banana
2 scoops protein powder
1 cup of oats
1 cup of ice

I love it.

Unfortunately, I've been on a cut so this would be over half my calories for the whole day. 

I never had the problem of putting weight on.  You should think yourself lucky.  I look at a piece of cake or pizza and I feel it go right round my gut. If I have something like that, I really have to manage my calories around it, which is a pain.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: October 20, 2015, 06:52:49 PM »
No shit... when I'm in a deficit phase, my calorie goal is 1800-2200.