Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 188047 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Back on the bandwagon
« Reply #175 on: August 20, 2015, 11:10:46 PM »
It's no fun getting old. :lol

Tell me about it.  I 'popped' something in my right shoulder blade twice in the last two weeks - once while stretching my neck on a plane ride home; the other time opening the coffee carafe to empty it.  :lolpalm:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: August 21, 2015, 06:57:49 AM »
It is always those dumb little everyday things that pull you up sometimes haha.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #177 on: August 21, 2015, 11:06:35 AM »
I need to tone up slightly and add about 10 lbs of solid muscle, and I think I'll be pretty happy.

My roommate and I are starting Insanity (a 2-month high intensity cardio program) on Monday. I did it last year and got into terrific shape. Got really tone and athletic, but didn't lose weight, meaning I traded some fat for muscle. Not much bulk though - one downside of cardio programs. I would highly highly recommend Insanity for anyone who has fat burning goals. It doesn't take much time each day (about 40-60 minutes), you can do it at home, the program is only two months...but you will get real results.

Then we plan to do p90x (3 months). Maybe another round of p90x after that. I'm 150 now, hope to be 157 by next summer. My goal physique is Aaron Marino's. He's 152 at 5'6, and I'm 5'7 - 5'8.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: August 21, 2015, 12:38:11 PM »
Couple of good programs there H.  Done both of them more than once in the past.  Insanity is exactly that!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #179 on: August 21, 2015, 01:03:08 PM »
I'm contemplating doing Insanity again. I've done it twice....but the last time by the end my right ankle and left knee were barking pretty good. That was about 2 years ago. But, it may just be the regiment I need to stay on top of consistently exercising these next three months during our work Weight Loss Challenge.

But I really think the thing that'll make or break my weight loss is diet. It's a MUST to get this  :censored under control. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2015, 01:59:48 PM »
But I really think the thing that'll make or break my weight loss is diet. It's a MUST to get this  :censored under control.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2015, 02:06:57 PM »

:lol     I guess that is a pretty 'no sh%t' statement  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2015, 05:07:45 PM »
People underestimate diet and overestimate the amount of activity.  It doesn't matter how many hours of relentless exercise you do, if you eat too many calories than you're burning, you'll still gain weight.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2015, 05:46:48 PM »
I wouldn't even want to know how many calories would be in a whopper and fries. The amount of cardio to burn just that off would be huge

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2015, 05:56:03 PM »
I wouldn't even want to know how many calories would be in a whopper and fries. The amount of cardio to burn just that off would be huge

The whopper and fries over here would be around 1200-1400 calories I think, depending on how many fries.  In reality when people go to a McDonalds or the like, what they would order would be around up to 3/4 of their daily intake, possibly more, depending on the order.  Add a shake to that and you're looking at 1600-1800 calories.

If I decide I'm going to have McDonalds or something for dinner, I usually only have a protein bar or a protein shake during the day, as I'll easily bust 2000 calories at the drive through.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2015, 05:57:01 PM »

Whopper - 660 (37g of fat)
Large Fries - 500 (28g of fat)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2015, 05:58:42 PM »

Whopper - 660 (37g of fat)
Large Fries - 500 (28g of fat)

Damn, I was pretty spot on.  I know my take aways.  :\

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2015, 06:07:09 PM »
Yikes. Change the fries to a poutine here in Canada and throw in a shake, and that's over the top

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2015, 06:27:13 PM »
Yikes. Change the fries to a poutine here in Canada and throw in a shake, and that's over the top

I had to google this, looks nasty.  I'm all for the gravy but cheese curds? Hmmmm..

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »
It's huge in Canada. It is tasty but a major artery clogger

Not to be eaten in excess lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2015, 08:54:43 PM »
Poutine is awesome.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #191 on: August 22, 2015, 02:11:16 PM »
If I decide I'm going to have McDonalds or something for dinner, I usually only have a protein bar or a protein shake during the day, as I'll easily bust 2000 calories at the drive through.
I couldn't do that; the McDonald's just wouldn't be filling. I'd walk away hungry. Better to just avoid McDonalds, I think, or to just have a free-for-all cheat day.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Ħ

« Reply #192 on: August 22, 2015, 02:51:26 PM »
Question for you fitness guys, on goal setting.

I'm sitting at 150lbs, 13% body fat, with an ultimate goal of getting to a lean 157lbs at 8-10% body fat within the next few years. That of course involves a net increase in weight gain, with some fat loss but mostly muscle gain.

I'm starting Insanity on Monday, which I know is not ideal for muscle growth, but it is great for getting lean and athletic. I know for a fact that my body responds well to it because I did it last year. I recognize that, given my goals, it would be more efficient to do a resistance program like p90x first, but whatever. I have the DVD set, am in the mood for doing Insanity again, and I want to do Insanity with my fitness neophyte friend Kyle. It's only two months and I know I'll love the results. So Insanity it is.

Anyway, my question is -- given my goals, and given that I shall be doing Insanity for the next two months, what should be my daily caloric goals? Should I aim to lose (2100 cals), maintain (2600 cals), or gain (2900 cals)? If I aim to lose, that would guarantee major fat loss, but also muscle/strength loss. If I maintain, I can expect a positive transaction from fat to muscle, but I'm not sure how significant the change would be, given that this is a cardio-intensive program. If I aim to gain, I'm not sure what to expect there either.

I am tempted to just aim to maintain, because dieting sucks, and I'd love to have the most energy I can spare to get through these tough workout with all I can give.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: August 22, 2015, 03:00:44 PM »
I'd add calories.  Doing Insanity not only burns a shit-ton of calories itself, but it likely will accelerate your normal metabolism, so you'll be burning more all day long.  That's my opinion ... and completely unprofessional.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: August 23, 2015, 03:44:44 AM »
I've never done any of those programs before, had no interest in them so it's hard for me to comment.  I've lost all my weight with diet and strength training, with next to no cardio.  My strength has only increased too.

At the moment, I'm completetly intuative with my intake, and it seems to be working.  Some days though, carbs and or fat may be too low and therefore I increase just enough to get my energy back.

I think though since you are doing the difficult thing of adding muscle yet burning body fat, eating at maintenance would be the way to go.  As Chad said, maybe 100 calories or so over, but nothing more than that I'd say.  If you are at any defeceit, mathematically you're gonna lose weight.  Again, I can't comment, I don't use scales at all, just what I see in the mirror.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #195 on: August 25, 2015, 06:27:21 PM »
Thanks guys! Based on talking from some other people, I think I am just going to eat plentifully and "by feel" without worrying about it. It will probably end up being a caloric surplus, but I'm going to take the risk. Let you know how it goes. I've gotten through two days so far.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: August 25, 2015, 08:47:02 PM »
I've taken that more intuative approach and seemed to be less stressed over it all.  When I thought I was counting right, I wasn't really losing fat like I should have anyway, which is what I was aiming for.  I think keep your foods super clean and a good amount of protein with heavy strength training and use the mirror as your guide.  Maybe take measurements too, I do that sometimes.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: August 28, 2015, 04:28:03 PM »
Official weigh in was today for our work weight loss challenge. I weighed myself this morning prior to pigging out and stuffing myself all day for the 'official' one. This morning I was at 173.1 lbs. But, my official weigh in weight for the contest was 188.6. What's funny is I held my um.....movement.....all day until after I weighed in as well. I took care of that and out of curiosity weighed myself and was at 177.2  :lol  That's one heck of a crap!

So, Starting at 188.6
12 weeks from now I hope to be at least in the 170-172 range.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: August 28, 2015, 04:33:58 PM »
So, Starting at 188.6

Very achievable.  Should be able to smash that in the 8-10 week range.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: August 28, 2015, 05:23:34 PM »
So, Starting at 188.6

I think so to. I'm gonna get at it!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: September 01, 2015, 02:57:47 AM »
So my exercise/fitness trend has come to a screaching halt now that I am traveling for work.  Besides having no time to work out, I also have essentially unlimited free food on these trips and my boss loves to make sure we take advantage of that.  One day in and I've eaten terribly and I know its not going to stop.  I will be hitting my bike hard when I get home next weekend.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: September 01, 2015, 07:35:05 AM »
So, Starting at 188.6

You should be able to smash through that in the 3-4 week range since your true "starting" weight is somewhere between 173 and 177

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: September 01, 2015, 09:14:21 AM »
So, Starting at 188.6

You should be able to smash through that in the 3-4 week range since your true "starting" weight is somewhere between 173 and 177

as we discussed via text....there was a typo in this....(the bolded)

Official weigh in was today for our work weight loss challenge. I weighed myself this morning prior to pigging out and stuffing myself all day for the 'official' one. This morning I was at 183.1 lbs. But, my official weigh in weight for the contest was 188.6. What's funny is I held my um.....movement.....all day until after I weighed in as well. I took care of that and out of curiosity weighed myself and was at 187.2  :lol  That's one heck of a crap!

As far as me reporting weight loss in this thread....I'm using 182 as my 'starting weight'.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: September 04, 2015, 02:56:52 PM »
Weighed in this morning at 176.4. That's 12.2 lbs down for my work competition.......realistically though it's more like 5.8lbs down this week. I've only missed one night running and I've drastically altered my caloric intake.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: September 04, 2015, 03:13:55 PM »
I must have the shittiest metabolism ever.

I have like two slices of toast for brekkie. A very small lunch and a medium sized dinner and I mostly only drink lemon tea or coffee.

Yet my pedometer says I walk 6 miles a day AT LEAST and after several months of this I barely look or feel any different.

You hear of people walking 20 mins a day and after a month they've lost like 900 stone.

I look exactly the fuckin same.

:emo:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: September 04, 2015, 03:43:22 PM »
You must still be eating too many calories bro.  The whole metabolism thing IMO is overrated.  The cardio is overrated IMO, you can cut simply on diet with minimal exercise.  Take a look at your diet again;

What are you having on the toast?
How small exactly is your lunch?
What's in your lunch?
Do you have milk in your coffee?
Are you snacking on things between meals that you are not thinking about?
Is your dinner really a medium size and what's in it?

If you can't cut your food down, then you need to up the intensity in your exercise, just walking doesn't really burn as much as what you'd think.

No trying to be an ass either bro.  You can list exactly what you eat and it might give us a better idea if you like.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: September 04, 2015, 03:49:39 PM »
Lunch is pretty shitty but it's like a sausage and a few chips. But I work in a cafe so I eat whats available. Sometimes I don't even have lunch.

Breakfast is toast butter and jam usually.

Dinner is usually pasta with sauce and small amount of cheese.

I'm not into sweets as such. But yeah I do have some now and then as everyone does. And I have a couple cans of coke during the day too.

I know the coke is terrible. It's not like i'm gorging on sweets between meals and guzzling litres of cola.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: September 04, 2015, 03:53:33 PM »
p.s. I walk pretty fast too and i'm not really overweight to begin with.

Last time I checked I was like 175 lbs and i'm 5'8" tall.

Which the BMI says is "borderline" but i've been told that it doesn't account for how you're built.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: September 04, 2015, 03:59:56 PM »
Yeah, you're diet's not the best man, and especially if you work in a cafe, that can create all sorts of problems, especially if you have the ability to snack.  People snack while cooking and don't count it in and still eat their regular meals and wonder what's going on.

My first piece of advice is cut the coke, or switch to calorie free, it adds up man, trust me, that was the first thing I did and was a great kickstart.  That shit is nasty and the sugar is toxic to how the body functions. 

You need protein too, you don't eat any besides one sausage at lunch.  You want to burn fat, start getting some meat or protein or some kind.  Don't get me started about your lack of veg either.  Even though I said I think metabolism is overrated, your not doing yourself any favours but just eating carbs and coke dude, your body won't change eating so junk.  Here's my simple advice to start you off with your meal plan.

Breakfast - Cut down to one piece of bread and cook a few eggs with some tomato or any other veg.

Lunch - Keep this same for now, maybe add another sausage and less chips.  Add some greens also.

Dinner - Half the amount of pasta and replace that with a chicken breast or something.  And add some veg or a salad.

Cut the soft drink and watch the snacking.  These simple changes will help.  Also watch what you put on your food too.  Sauces and dressings sometimes have an insane calorie content.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #209 on: September 04, 2015, 04:01:04 PM »
Insanity going good. Definitely improving performance-wise. Don't see anything visually yet. (The factor I care about the most.  :biggrin:)