Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 188956 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Back on the bandwagon
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2015, 10:11:55 AM »
I think you'll be surprised.  I've worked with a few people that signed up to this sort of thing in the past, yet only to fall off the wagon after the second week.  The lack of focus and will power in some people is quite astonishing.

That's what I'm counting on. I've cold turkey quit tobacco (cigs and chewing) now for 12 years and alcohol now for 6. Went from 220 to 151 lbs.....but all was done when I really buckled down and fired up the 'will power'

As a lot of you guys in this thread have said about your own situations, "it's time". Being that my exercise regiment has been altered due to the changes in my life (new home/location/job) within the past few years I've packed on about 15 lbs I "typically" don't carry. Been needing/meaning to tap will power on the shoulder and ask him if he's got a couple months to get me back in playing shape but haven't pulled the trigger. I think this challenge will do just that for me.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2015, 10:18:08 AM »
Agreed about will power.  Eating is an addiction and like all addictions, it takes will power to overcome.  No one telling you to stop will make you stop, you have to want it. I've been overweight for the last 5 years since I last went hardcore and lost weight, due to my own will power to want to change.  The many years after I put the weight back on, I wanted to lose it, but did not have the will to do so.  I dont know why, but something clicked inside me that made me want to go through with it again now and here I am.  I am not weighing myself during this because I just don't feel like I want to be watching the scale and meet numbers, but I am in my fourth week now and I am one belt buckle tighter and some of my shirts that were once tight and now fitting nicely.  I feel good too, which is a good motivator to continue.  I am hoping that by Labor Day I will be in a better spot, but now I booked my Vegas vacation towards the end of September so I think is my new goal date for being in position to be at a pool and not feel uncomfortable about my body.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2015, 10:36:03 AM »
I am not weighing myself during this because I just don't feel like I want to be watching the scale and meet numbers, but I am in my fourth week now and I am one belt buckle tighter and some of my shirts that were once tight and now fitting nicely.  I feel good too

Good point. I think it's less about "weight lost" and numbers and just about how you feel. Even when I was at my 'best' weight where I just felt good and was happy with 'my look'...I was technically 'overweight' given my height to weight ratio. I'm 5'-6" tall...which means not very  :lol But the ratio doesn't take in to effect that (not bragging at ALL) I'm fairly stocky with most of that being muscle mass...not fat. So even though I'm shooting for a # in weight....it's really just because I know that # is where I'm comfortable being for me and my body.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2015, 11:16:06 AM »
The only time I successfully lost weight was when I was weighing myself every day. It's the only way I could keep myself accountable.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2015, 12:20:12 PM »
Weighed in at 232 yesterday.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2015, 05:02:19 PM »
Atta boy!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2015, 05:07:07 PM »
My gym trips are going to become less frequent. My buddy, who is my workout partner, and also my ride to the gym, just started working full time.

With my company.

Every day, he is either my relief, or vice versa. lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2015, 08:48:45 AM »
Not Exercise related but decided to get myself in shape via diet

Feb 1 2017 starting weight 304

as of this past Sunday   Aug 2 2017  248

Goal is 230 by year end

first couple months weight came off extremely fast, now averaging 1 lb per week. Have my annual check-up in August, hopefully get doctor approval to go back to the gym

Cardio is my biggest concern and the reason for stopping the gym back in January ( 2 bum knees )with have both been operated on and diagnoised with collapsed arches in my feet, due to carrying so much weight for so long I topped out at 360 lbs back in 2009

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2015, 08:50:55 AM »
Hey Bill, good to hear from you. Haven't seen you much around here it seems.

Congrats on the weight loss!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2015, 08:54:06 AM »
Hey Bill, good to hear from you. Haven't seen you much around here it seems.

Congrats on the weight loss!!

I've been busy with a promotion at work ( still lurk around a bit, just don't post as often)
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2015, 09:07:40 AM »
I've been eating really well and have exercised every day this week.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2015, 11:02:31 AM »
My coworker today noticed I look thinner.  Probably because my shirts I am wearing are becoming much more loose on me.  The shirt I am wearing today is a shirt I had put in the closet permanently like a year ago because it became too tight.  So he might of noticed I pulled out an old shirt too.  My belt buckle is almost 2 notches tighter than when I started.  I can get it to two notches but its tight and when I put it only one notch ahead it is very loose.  It's also been one full month since I started my diet.  Still no soda and I cut out all the artificial sugar I used to consume.  I'm still feeling good and still going .

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2015, 08:23:02 PM »
My coworker today noticed I look thinner.  Probably because my shirts I am wearing are becoming much more loose on me.  The shirt I am wearing today is a shirt I had put in the closet permanently like a year ago because it became too tight.  So he might of noticed I pulled out an old shirt too.  My belt buckle is almost 2 notches tighter than when I started.  I can get it to two notches but its tight and when I put it only one notch ahead it is very loose.  It's also been one full month since I started my diet.  Still no soda and I cut out all the artificial sugar I used to consume.  I'm still feeling good and still going .

:tup. Awesome!

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #118 on: August 06, 2015, 08:32:36 PM »
Hey everybody. I'm a personal trainer and I just wanna say you all are doing awesome and keep up the hard work.

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2015, 07:42:29 AM »
Weigh in last week wasn't all that impressive - 213.2 ... only 1 pound loss.  Though, BF was down a few % points, so that was good. Problem was that last Saturday was a night out at friends... much food and alcohol consumption ensued.

Better week this week - 209 and BF down a full % point.  Feelin good 'bout that.

You better bring it when you get started Gary.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2015, 01:06:12 PM »
You better bring it when you get started Gary.

Oh....it'll be broughted :fistpump: don't you worry your Canadian booty about it! Our team weigh in is August 28th, can't come soon enough cuz I'm anxious to really go full throttle.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2015, 04:11:37 PM »
I've gotten heavily back into IF over the last couple of weeks.  Anyone with control and discipline issues with food and portion control should try it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2015, 04:59:33 PM »
I've gotten heavily back into IF over the last couple of weeks.  Anyone with control and discipline issues with food and portion control should try it.

I was doing an 8hr on/16hr off IF last time I was lifting, and really liked the results and how I felt.  Found it based of of Eat Stop Eat..  Lots of BCAA drinks in that 16 hour 'off' phase made it a breeze.

What's your cycle Kade?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2015, 05:15:33 PM »
Pretty much the same, give or take.  Finish eating around 8-9pm and eat no earlier than 2pm the next day.  I'm not strict with the timing, but prior to that I went back to small frequent meals, and while I enjoyed the eating, it made food more of a priority to me.  I was thinking about it too much and getting hungrier, where as IF doesn't allow you to think about food and stop the over eating.  Was eating breakfast at 6am and then looking for more food an hour later.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2015, 05:31:54 PM »
Cool. I was doing my feed from 9/10am-5/6pm. I don't think I could go until 2pm without eating. I like my breakfast.  My only "cheat" was a small piece of fruit or a yogurt in the morning if I was getting an early cardio workout in.

I prefer IF over 5-6 small meals. Just as you said, the latter takes too much thinking and planning in my books.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2015, 06:04:34 AM »
Yeah, everyone is different.  I don't think there is anyway I could stop eating by 5pm, I'm a night owl and like my big meals nice and late.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2015, 07:23:07 AM »
After this weigh in I think I'm going to implement something I've rarely done. I'm going to exercise in the morning....before work/kids to school. I've tried to 'get in to' running/exercising in the morning in the past but never made a habit of it. But now, I don't think I have a choice given the craziness of our family schedule in the evening. I'm sure those of you who have kids know what I mean when I say that.....so, I'm going to try to get in to the habit of early morning exercise and then also try to get at least (3) nights in the week where I exercise also. I think that....along with correcting this ridiculous eating routine I have going on should shave some lbs off pretty good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2015, 03:45:06 PM »
After this weigh in I think I'm going to implement something I've rarely done. I'm going to exercise in the morning....before work/kids to school. I've tried to 'get in to' running/exercising in the morning in the past but never made a habit of it. But now, I don't think I have a choice given the craziness of our family schedule in the evening. I'm sure those of you who have kids know what I mean when I say that.....so, I'm going to try to get in to the habit of early morning exercise and then also try to get at least (3) nights in the week where I exercise also. I think that....along with correcting this ridiculous eating routine I have going on should shave some lbs off pretty good.

I've always wanted to try and train in the morning, but there is no way I can do it.  Can't train before 5pm.  What's the go with your eating routine?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2015, 03:59:55 PM »
I'd rather work out in the morning, but every time I set my alarm to wake up earlier I snooze it (and normally I am not a snoozer).  I just cant force myself to get up earlier it seems.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2015, 04:11:15 PM »
What's the go with your eating routine?

Well...it's more that over the past three years I relented a bit on what I avoided the previous 5 years. I wouldn't touch sweets...now I don't shy away.....I hadn't drank soda in probably eight or nine years but now I drink it alot and my lunches are WAY out of control. I eat out for lunch every day at places like McAllisters...Penn Station....Jimmy Johns. I've probably raised my caloric intake by 1000-1500 calories a day over the past three years above what I was taking in. Plus....spending $50+ a week on lunch is just dumb.....

So, for starters and the easy thing is no more soda or sweets. those are fairly simple to knock out. Then, I'm probably looking at just consuming 300-400 calories for lunch. Some fruits and veggies probably like I did prior to the last couple years.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2015, 05:38:00 AM »
That's the hardest thing, things can creep back in so easy without you really thinking about it.  You almost justify it to yourself that it's okay when in reality, it's stuff you shouldn't be touching.

Once you have it once, then you have it again and before you know it, it's part of your daily diet, so scary how it happens.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2015, 05:48:27 AM »
I eat out for lunch every day at places like McAllisters...Penn Station....Jimmy Johns. I've probably raised my caloric intake by 1000-1500 calories a day over the past three years above what I was taking in. Plus....spending $50+ a week on lunch is just dumb.....

Ya know, since I started my diet, my wallet is a lot larger.  Eating oatmeal and lean cuisines is a lot cheaper than eating out.  I really do enjoy going out for nice meals whether for lunch at work, or for dinner with friends, but that expense does add up.  It's been a nice addition to the weight loss.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2015, 12:05:17 PM »
My previous job at an architecture firm was ideal. Shower at work, ran 5 miles a day and ate a small salad.....done and done. So easy to maintain weight when I had that routine....plus I was running about three nights a week after work also.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2015, 03:33:38 PM »
Just got a part time job being a handler at Fed Ex.  This job is kicking my ass back into shape  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: August 12, 2015, 04:35:07 PM »
I eat out for lunch every day at places like McAllisters...Penn Station....Jimmy Johns. I've probably raised my caloric intake by 1000-1500 calories a day over the past three years above what I was taking in. Plus....spending $50+ a week on lunch is just dumb.....

Ya know, since I started my diet, my wallet is a lot larger.  Eating oatmeal and lean cuisines is a lot cheaper than eating out.  I really do enjoy going out for nice meals whether for lunch at work, or for dinner with friends, but that expense does add up.  It's been a nice addition to the weight loss.

Yeah, it's amazing the money you save.  The way I eat now, eating out for one meal would equate to about 3 days of eating at home now.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2015, 09:23:56 PM »
Speaking of exercise, have you guys been following this "Fat Guy Across America" dude? It's this 500+lbs guy who decided to ride across the USA (from Falmouth, MA to Sacramento, CA supposedly).
Thing is, as much as one should cheer him on for this, the guy is horrendously clueless and unprepared. He doesn't even make the most basic plans for his trip. His wife joined him a few days ago, and she ended up in the ER today because they decided to ride through mid-80, 80%+ humidity weather. Hi bike already broke down twice in the short distance he's managed (he is still in Rhode Island, after more than two months in).
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2015, 09:36:15 AM »
That doesn't sound like it's going to work out for him

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
I would imagine riding a bike at 500lbs to be difficult, my ass already hurts on a bike and i weigh less than half of that.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2015, 10:00:59 AM »
I would imagine riding a bike at 500lbs to be difficult, my ass already hurts on a bike and i weigh less than half of that.

Think of how the bike must feel!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2015, 04:37:15 PM »
Speaking of exercise, have you guys been following this "Fat Guy Across America" dude? It's this 500+lbs guy who decided to ride across the USA (from Falmouth, MA to Sacramento, CA supposedly).
Thing is, as much as one should cheer him on for this, the guy is horrendously clueless and unprepared. He doesn't even make the most basic plans for his trip. His wife joined him a few days ago, and she ended up in the ER today because they decided to ride through mid-80, 80%+ humidity weather. Hi bike already broke down twice in the short distance he's managed (he is still in Rhode Island, after more than two months in).

Actaully sounds like entertaining viewing.