Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 188019 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Back on the bandwagon
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2015, 11:12:53 AM »
because of that I'm pretty good at doing the conversion in my head almost instantaneously (not that it's very difficult in the first place). :lol

2.2 is pretty easy to convert on weights in multiples of 5 or 10.

yeah, hence my note about not being difficult, but we have smaller 2.5, 1, and .5 kilo plates as well
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2015, 02:51:40 PM »
following and good luck!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2015, 11:22:17 AM »
I'd down for this.  In fact, I told myself that I was going to do this after vacation (because it is impossible to eat well on family vacations :lol). 

The pisser for me is that I pulled a muscle in my trap a while back, which has never fully healed, so whenever I do even light lifting, it is sore the rest of the day.  I was in the 185-195 range for a long time, but am around 210 now (5'11"), and the thing is, I eat the same way I always have, but getting older and not being able to exercise as much takes its toll.  So yeah, I am pretty aggravated.  Time to get moving again. :tup :tup

Did some light lifting this morning, so we will see how this goes.  Hoping for no pain or soreness so I can start lifting like I used to again, which is essential for me because if it is very difficult for me to make myself eat better if I am not exercising regularly.  I need both going at the same time.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2015, 01:24:56 PM »
8 rounds

5 burpees
10 kettlebell swings 53#
15 lunges while holding 53# kettlebell
400 M run

34:05

the last three rounds were painful
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2015, 02:21:05 PM »
The 20 Hot Wings I had at BWW's last night should help shed some lbs..... ???
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2015, 05:32:33 AM »
Had a bit of a blow out this weekend.  :-\  Gotta kick my ass back into gear tomorrow.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2015, 05:35:24 AM »
Weigh-in coming shortly
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2015, 08:50:59 AM »

I suppose eating out on both Friday and Saturday night wasn't such a great idea.  :(

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2015, 09:23:12 AM »
214.2 for me... 26.2% body fat.  Well, that's pretty much my starting point.  Time to get really disciplined on my diet now.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2015, 04:06:52 PM »
214.2 for me... 26.2% body fat.  Well, that's pretty much my starting point.  Time to get really disciplined on my diet now.

Are you taking any protein shakes/supplements?

Its good to double check what protein shake you are taking and look at the cholesterol levels in it.  I used to take one brand and then checked the cholesterol levels in it- they were sky high.  Switched brands after finding one that had zero cholesterol.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2015, 04:31:11 PM »
And how is body fat being measured here?...........with some sort of accuracy (calipers) or not (electro scales etc..)?
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2015, 05:47:28 PM »
No protein shakes - not doing any lifting yet, so I'm not adding any additional protein - but when I do, it's with whatever brand Costco has.  I'll check the nutritional contents.  Thanks for the tip.  Supplement wise, I take L-Carnatine and Green Tea capsules, along with a regular host of vitamins (C, D, Multi, fish-oil).

My scale has BF% measurements too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2015, 05:59:21 PM »
It's been a while , but my research (I did my honors thesis on natural and not so natural sporting aids) indicated that Carnitine was snake oil.  And those body fat scales (I have some too, but don't bother) are of very limited use in my experience.  If you consider yourself overweight then I would be guessing a bit higher than 26% but anyway.......

Even if the reading isn't accurate then they can perhaps be of some comparative use , in which case it is essential that you weigh at the same time each day and keep your hydration extremely consistent.  If your hydration is all over the place then the method by which they work (conducting electricity) will be all over the place too.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2015, 06:56:05 PM »
Didn't know that about the Carnatine.  I got 'em cheap off of eBay, and at the time, every routine I was reading about, on a variety of different sites, were almost universally including it as part of the supplement package - so it wasn't just one site trying to hawk their shit (cough cough, bodybuilding.com, cough cough). 

As for the scale and BF%, agree 100%.  I totally know it isn't 100% accurate, but at least gives a trend.  Everytime I get disciplined in this, I always weigh myself once a week (usually Sunday or Monday), after 1 cup of coffee, and my morning movement. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2015, 05:23:07 AM »
I always weigh myself once a week (usually Sunday or Monday), after 1 cup of coffee, and my morning movement.

Make you sure weigh yourself before and after the morning movement, just so ya know the weight of that movement.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2015, 06:02:17 AM »
I always weigh myself once a week (usually Sunday or Monday), after 1 cup of coffee, and my morning movement.

Make you sure weigh yourself before and after the morning movement, just so ya know the weight of that movement.

I'll PM ya next week, k?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2015, 06:15:34 AM »
I said so you know, not me lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2015, 06:43:43 AM »
Welp... I pretty much failed miserably this weekend. Victoria and I hosted a beer making party yesterday and by the time all was said and done, I probably consumed 4000 calories once you factor in all the beer. Out of disgust, I didn't even bother weighing myself. I will take my first official progress weight this Sunday.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2015, 08:07:27 AM »
Welp... I pretty much failed miserably this weekend.

Me too bro. Like I mentioned earlier....we ate out twice this weekend. But, my wife started this 'cleanse' deal last week where she drank 48 oz of cranberry water each day, no carbs and had smoothies with flax seed in it. She lost 11 lbs! I think I may have to give that an honest shot with those results.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2015, 08:42:53 AM »
Did she eat anything else? That's a ridiculous loss. Her body must have been feeding from literally every fat reserve she has. Was she doing physical activity too?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2015, 03:05:41 PM »
Thats a lot of weight to lose in a matter of a few days

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2015, 04:37:18 PM »
11 lbs. is a lot, but it's pretty typical to lose a lot that first week when you suddenly go from eating poorly to eating well.  One summer, I lost 18 lbs in seven weeks, 6 of which were the first week, and then 2 every week after that.

As for me, I saw a friend I hadn't seen in a while on Saturday, and we had pizza, so I didn't do great either, but I did for most of the weekend aside from that. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2015, 08:40:21 PM »
Did she eat anything else? That's a ridiculous loss. Her body must have been feeding from literally every fat reserve she has. Was she doing physical activity too?

She walked three miles a day.

Thats a lot of weight to lose in a matter of a few days

It was exactly a week.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2015, 05:24:32 AM »
Welp... I pretty much failed miserably this weekend. Victoria and I hosted a beer making party yesterday and by the time all was said and done, I probably consumed 4000 calories once you factor in all the beer. Out of disgust, I didn't even bother weighing myself. I will take my first official progress weight this Sunday.

Accept that it's happened and move on man, use it as motivation.

Most of it would have just been water weight, not actual fat.

Chad, Carnatine is a scam mate, don't waste your money.  And don't focus too much on shakes, just eat real food.  I use a scoop after training but skip it sometimes if I feel like a slightly bigger meal.  One of my treats though is protein in yogurt, which is great.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2015, 05:48:38 AM »
I've been really digging the Greek nonfat yogurt.  Shit is yummy and high in protein for 80 calories.  Mix that in a shake with protein and frozen fruit.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2015, 06:33:05 AM »
I've been really digging the Greek nonfat yogurt.  Shit is yummy and high in protein for 80 calories.  Mix that in a shake with protein and frozen fruit.

Yeah, I've only been eating it the last few months.  Never had it in a shake but as I said, I usually have about 200g with a good solid scoop of protein powder.  Refregerate for a few hours and boom.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2015, 07:40:58 AM »
When I'm lifting, I love 'proatmeal'.... one scoop of powder, along with 3/4 cup of instant oats.  Add a little honey or cinnamon for sweetness, and booyah.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2015, 11:36:37 AM »
non fat greek yogurt is delicious!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2015, 09:10:23 PM »
The company I work for just sent the e-mail below out system wide. I'm forming a team now....and at minimum think I'll get a crack at a few of the $100 prizes because I know I can drop 6%. Only bummer (because I privately challenged jingle.boy) is that the weigh ins are a month out so I'd really be doing myself a disservice dropping any weight right now. In fact, I may try to throw 5lbs on.

In 2009 my previous employer had a Biggest Loser challenge which I won. My starting weight was 185...ending weight was 151. I had went from 220 to 185 then plateaued for a few months then that challenge inspired me to lose more. Because there was a $400 first place prize. Anyway, I'm at or around 179 now...not far off from what I was before. I may tack on a couple more lbs before this challenge and then hit it hard again.

Fit into your skinny jeans by Thanksgiving with the BJC Team Weight Loss Challenge! Starts August 28

What is the BJC Team Weight Loss Challenge? It is a 12-week weight loss challenge, with our partners at HealthyWage, inviting teams of five to compete in a friendly challenge to lose the highest percentage of weight.

Over $18,000 in cash prizes, including:

1st place team: $10,000
2nd place team: $5,000
3rd place team: $3,000

Plus, a weight loss of 6 percent earns you a chance to win one of dozens of $100 prizes!

How much does it cost? The registration fee is $70 per person or $23.33/month for three months. Registration fees are fully refunded if you sustain a 10 percent weight loss six months after the Challenge ends.

Who can participate? All BJC employees can join in! Which location will earn “bragging rights” in this first ever system wide weight loss competition?

How do employees sign up? Register by September 11 on our customized site: ***snip***  Get a verified weigh-in between August 28 – September 11 (weigh-outs occur November 6-20).

Help us spread the word to your co-workers! Get your team of five together, sign up at the HealthyWage website above and tell your co-workers about the challenge.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2015, 09:43:32 PM »
Only bummer (because I privately challenged jingle.boy) is that the weigh ins are a month out so I'd really be doing myself a disservice dropping any weight right now.

No worries man... we can modify the rules of our personal challenge.

Offline Cable

« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2015, 11:02:50 PM »
Thanks for the thread Jingle.Boy!  :tup ;D I posted in the healthy 2015 thread at that other place, as I too did not see this here about a month ago. My original question was about what type of gym, but since then I have joined a standard chain gym.My health changes are multi-faceted, which has helped greatly for motivation.

I perhaps want to get in on this roll call action too. Do I PM you?
---

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2015, 04:38:15 AM »
Nah... just post it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2015, 06:00:53 AM »
When I'm lifting, I love 'proatmeal'.... one scoop of powder, along with 3/4 cup of instant oats.  Add a little honey or cinnamon for sweetness, and booyah.

You know what the fuck is up bitch.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2015, 06:04:04 AM »

:eek If your own health and self image isn't enough to motivate you, hopefully 10 G is! That's a sweet payout for a weight loss challenge.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2015, 06:19:40 AM »

:eek If your own health and self image isn't enough to motivate you, hopefully 10 G is! That's a sweet payout for a weight loss challenge.

I think you'll be surprised.  I've worked with a few people that signed up to this sort of thing in the past, yet only to fall off the wagon after the second week.  The lack of focus and will power in some people is quite astonishing.