Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 188045 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Back on the bandwagon
« Reply #420 on: July 27, 2017, 02:21:03 PM »
  i already had a really good endurance base from years of marathon running, so i definitely wasn't starting from scratch.

I think that's where I'd have a good start as well being that I've been running for a solid 10 years at least three times a week...often times more....with a couple marathons and a good dozen or so half marathons under my belt. I'm an above average swimmer but I've never swam for distance so I know that's a whole new ballgame as far as muscle training and the only time I've biked for any distance was the one sprint tri I did a few years back that was 25 miles.

I have a hunch prior to years end I may be signed up for a full Ironman. I have some convincing to do with the wife because of the training involved.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #421 on: July 27, 2017, 02:39:55 PM »
The swim was definitely the most daunting part for me. 2.4m is a long way to go in the water,  and i don't think i could even do it in salt water without throwing up. Getting in the bike volume is the tough part of training cause you need a good block of 4-5 hours just for a long ride itself, let alone if it's part of a brick workout.

Best of luck if you decide to take it on! It was definitely worth it crossing  the finish line after a year of dedicated training.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #422 on: August 13, 2017, 09:04:40 AM »
Well, this is super frustrating.  Suffered some kind of knee or quad injury 2 weeks ago. I've been rehabbibg it, so I've been unable to mountain bike (which is actually depressing) or do any decent lower body work or cardio. Now I'm battling tendinitis in both elbows, so i can't do any upper body work either. This might actually drive me insane.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #423 on: August 13, 2017, 10:10:24 PM »
Now I'm battling tendinitis in both elbows

inside or outside of the elbows?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #424 on: August 14, 2017, 05:50:24 AM »
Getting old sucks.  The body just doesn't recover from minor aches and pains.  At the moment:

Left elbow - minor pain there (outside) since February.
Both knees - they're ok, so long as I wear my knee braces when I do anything leg related.  If I don't, it feels like I'm gonna lose a ligament somewhere.
Right shoulder - not sure what's going on here, but range of motion is pretty bad, and sharp pains when I hit certain angles while lifting.
Left shoulder - I'm 99% sure I separated it 12-ish years ago, and the range of motion never returned.  When I lay on my back and hold my arms 'up' at 90', my elbow is a good 3-4 inches off the ground.
Left thumb - feels like a deep bruise in my knuckle.  Been there a good 2 weeks.

But the kicker at the moment is my right lat.  Not sure what I did, but it's been in borderline agony for the past week, and taken me out of my schedule.  Just doing light cardio at the moment until it starts to recover.

Le sigh.  And I was feeling real good, making good progress on my reps and weights.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #425 on: August 14, 2017, 06:27:51 AM »

Inside the right, and more like my forearm on the left. I think it's an overuse injury from working on my grip strength for mountain biking. I picked up some FatGripz a couple months ago,  so my arms probably aren't used to it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: August 14, 2017, 07:34:08 AM »

Inside the right, and more like my forearm on the left. I think it's an overuse injury from working on my grip strength for mountain biking. I picked up some FatGripz a couple months ago,  so my arms probably aren't used to it.

I totally read "FatGripz" as "FapGripz" - which would definitely explain the "overuse".   :lol :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #427 on: August 14, 2017, 08:59:22 AM »

I totally read "FatGripz" as "FapGripz" - which would definitely explain the "overuse".   :lol :lol

Yeah....don't think I'd be discussing it here if that were the case lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: August 14, 2017, 09:58:40 AM »
Left shoulder - I'm 99% sure I separated it 12-ish years ago, and the range of motion never returned.  When I lay on my back and hold my arms 'up' at 90', my elbow is a good 3-4 inches off the ground.

My left shoulder has increasingly become an issue. And I know the problem. I'm of the firm belief I am now suffering the after effects of being bit by a Western Diamondback Rattlesnake. I mean, that venom is a hemotoxin and works as pre-digestion for the snake.....and my entire left arm was affected. I'd say I lost 30% of the muscle tissue in it from the bite along with who knows what type of ligamet/structural damage.

It was never really an issue too much before because I was younger and just powered through it....but here over the past few years I can totally tell there are some issues going on. The arm tires easily, makes some pretty strange cracking/popping/grinding noises....shooting pains are on the increase and more frequent. I don't know what the medical term would be to describe what has been going on other than it's just F'd up.

I've thought about going to the Doctor and finding out what the issue is but I think I'll do the typical guy thing and ignore it for a few more years until it's unbearable.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: August 14, 2017, 11:11:06 AM »
makes some pretty strange cracking/popping/grinding noises....shooting pains are on the increase and more frequent. I

... don't even get me started on the crunches and rolls I've got going on all around both shoulders.  It's like a bag of Orville Redenbacher in the microwave

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #430 on: August 14, 2017, 11:46:56 PM »

yeah, I've been dealing with that for a few years now.  About the only thing that has made a real difference is something called voodoo floss.  Look it up and let me know if you have any questions.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #431 on: April 19, 2018, 09:04:15 PM »
I'm bumping this thread to state that after a few years of ums and uhhhhs and other incoherent words of doubt and hesitation, I decided to bite the bullet and finally bought DDP Yoga.  It's basically this yoga program that's designed by former professional wrestler, Diamond Dallas Page (DDP), and a fair amount of wrestlers and relative celebrities endorses this product and they stated that doing the workouts helps keep them in good shape as long as you put the effort and motivation and the reasonable amount of time (30 minutes a day for three days a week I believe they stated to do the workouts) to it.  I'm not using this program as a way to lose some excess weight (although I hear losing weight doing the workouts can be a side effect), but rather as a way to regain some flexibility in my legs and get healthier and not be a lazy dude that sits on a chair at the computer for hours like I am doing now.

Hopefully, this is the first step in a long journey to get in much better shape physically and mentally.  I'm not a huge dude, but I do feel sluggish at times, and I'm hoping that doing DDP Yoga is the first step to get into better shape and adapt a healthier diet, etc.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: April 20, 2018, 06:27:21 AM »
Sounds like a great first step  :tup   Really work at creating the habit of doing those DVD’s......that’s the key. Establishing that habit. ‘What’ type of exercise/activity you fill that 30 minutes with IMO is less important than the fact of actually doing some type of workout/activity.

Sure the workouts are still important but making a habit of doing them is the tough part. You get a few weeks in to consistently doing those DVDs and it’s a guarantee your gonna feel (and look) better.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: April 24, 2018, 07:05:52 PM »
Just got back from the gym after having destroyed my shoulders (in a good way).  Also taking a new philosophy, really focusing on form (ie, mind-body connection), working the eccentric motion as much as (or more than) the concentric, as well as not using my wrist-straps, so my forearms took a pounding too.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: April 24, 2018, 07:48:20 PM »
Just got back from the gym after having destroyed my shoulders (in a good way).  Also taking a new philosophy, really focusing on form (ie, mind-body connection), working the eccentric motion as much as (or more than) the concentric, as well as not using my wrist-straps, so my forearms took a pounding too.

Sounds hot

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #435 on: April 26, 2018, 07:24:21 PM »
 This week I decided to start riding my bike to work. I switched jobs earlier this month, but still in the downtown core, and the new (almost literally new since it was built in 2013) building I'm in has a high security bike lockup area in the secured underground parking garage, a maintenance area with tools and air, and a full locker room with showers, hair dryer, after shave... you name it. I basically have no excuse not to ride in the non- winter months.

I would normally take the bus since a parking stall anywhere near my tower is easily $250+ per month. My bike actually gets me to work in half the time, despite having an express bus that goes from the end of my block directly downtown with minimum meandering along the way.  My one way commute is 21 min vs. 40 on the bus.

I'm only 4 days in, but I'm really enjoying it!

Offline H2

« Reply #436 on: July 14, 2019, 10:03:39 PM »
RESURRECTION  :omg:

Has anyone tried keto? Defined at less than 20g carbs per day, it's kinda the new fad diet but I've heard great things. I've kept on it for a month and can't say it's been long enough to say it's a "success", but I can attest to feeling leaner, lighter, and less miserable. More stable energy levels. You also carry far less water weight. I get bloated/inflammation a lot so this has been helpful for me. Also, tons of bacon, eggs, sausage, cheese, cream, meat, and veggies is awesome.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: July 15, 2019, 05:16:58 AM »
I absolutely detest fads.  It may be cliche, but a well balanced NUTRITION PLAN is a better approach to long term success.  Do you plan on eating the Keto way for the rest of your life?  Likely not.  To each their own though, and if it's working for you now, great.  Hopefully

Speaking of being back on the bandwagon, I'm about 6-weeks back on it now that the house-move situation has stabilized.  Did some body-weight and HIIT activity for the month of June, then started the Athlean-X program (again ... I got 7 weeks in to it last year before life got far too busy). 

Feels good.  I've got a little over 2 years to hit my goal of being in the best shape of my life when I hit 50.  I probably need to tighten up the definition of that goal, as I pretty much am in the best shape.  I somehow lost about 9lbs from Jan-Apr just through constant motion and an unplanned calorie restriction (I was just too damned busy to eat much).  Though, I have gained about 5 of them back since April.

183lbs as of yesterday, but 21%(ish) BF.  I have an electronic scale that supposedly measures BF - so I know it's not totally accurate, but it does give a frame of reference as I check-in weekly.  I just gotta get strict with my nutrition... that's where I'm lacking at the moment.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #438 on: July 15, 2019, 05:55:17 AM »
I agree completely with jingle. Any diet plan that restricts or removes entire food groups is unsustainable.  Keto, specifically,  is horrible if you do endurance activities since carbs are essential for performance beyond short efforts. Nutrition isn't rocket science.  Eat less calories than you burn. It's that simple, and it works everytime.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: July 15, 2019, 11:41:24 AM »
Maybe I put it in the lonely heart thread, but after being dumped two months ago I started working out and trying to better myself.  Started using my exercise bike in my basement and slowly adding dumb bell work outs and biking further.  I never weighed myself and figure it's just a number, I want to just keep at it until I feel better about myself.  I've got a lot of work to do, but I know I've made a nice dent in these two months.  Today I am officially down my third belt buckle and the last one before I need a new belt and probably new pants.  My shirts are all getting really big on me too and I've been fitting into stuff I haven't been able to in years.  I biked 11 miles Saturday, which is the furthest I've done.  My friend saw me for the first time in a month and noticed immediately.  Definitely feel better about my body, but it's a long battle that just started to get in the best shape possible.

As for Keto and dieting, I'm not big into the fad diets either.  This one would be tough without grains because one of my power foods for weight loss is oatmeal.  I've been eating oatmeal lunches at work lately.  I actually like it, so it's not that difficult although I just have to ration it and kind of starve myself a bit because at the end of the day it is all about the calories.  I haven't been strictly counting them, especially since my dinners are home cooked light meat and veggies type of meals that it's hard to count the calories, but I can guess I'm keeping it under 1000 a day for sure.  The oatmeal is 300 calories a day (I make two bowls, one for lunch and one for later lunch).  Two cups of coffee during the day black as well which helps curb the hunger.  I've been looser on the weekends mostly because I've cut out drinking during the week, but not on the weekends. 

Having said all that, when Chad and I are bunking together in September I am hopefully in the best shape I've been in in a looong time and sounds like Chad will be as well  :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: July 15, 2019, 12:45:09 PM »
Dude... that's awesome!  Pretty soon you'll need to be Cramx1... or maybe even cramL.   :lol

I would suggest you track your calories (there's enough online counters and apps out there) for at least a week.  I'd bet my next  paycheque your shortchanging yourself, and would shart myself if you really are under 1000 cals/day.  You'd be starving all the time.  I've barely eaten anything today (SMALL bowl of cereal with almond milk; a sandwhich with extra lean ham and some chicken) and I'm already at 870 cals.  <1000 is dangerously low for anyone - and frankly there is no need to be that much of a deficit.  Do your homework, and calculate your BMR; calculate your goals, and do the math.  My boy Alan Roberts (Every Damn Day Fitness... you'd love his vids) has a book called "Math and Willpower".  Very good read.  Only took a couple of hours.

Then do a workout with me in Atlanta... we'll see how good of shape you're in.   ;) :D

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #441 on: July 15, 2019, 01:02:02 PM »
I agree with the above - you could probably build some calories back in.  6 years ago, I lost 30lbs by using Weight Watchers.  I was really strict and never used up any of my extra points or ate extra food and the pounds came off fast.  I was seeing results, so I stuck with it, but I could have done it a little slower and been much happier with extra food.

I'm still strict with what I eat when I'm at work, which allows me to pig out a bit on the weekends.  Once you hit your goal, slowly build in some calories until you figure out what you need to just maintain the weight.  I've kept most of it off for the last 6 years, gaining 10 back after my second kid was born, and then just using the portion control and decision making that I learned in weight watchers to lose that 10 again and get back to where I like to maintain.

Congrats though!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #442 on: July 15, 2019, 01:02:46 PM »
That's freaking awesome, cram. Proud of you!

I've been putting in the work at the gym, but I can't afford to really eat as healthy as I'd like so I have to make compromises (sugar is my biggest enemy; occasionally I just HAVE to have a really sugar-heavy energy drink). My bottom line for the last few years has been to work hard enough in the gym to be able to still drink beer regularly and not become fat, so as far as that goes I'm doing pretty freaking good. I just keep up the cardio a lot. Also my preferred method of working out currently is one heavy day, and the rest are really light but with extra hard focus on the pump. Really jonesing for a good pump in the gym these days, I like leaving feeling utterly exhausted.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: July 15, 2019, 01:08:01 PM »
I won't be in your shape thats for sure Chad, but this 1k calorie a day thing is kind of a weight loss fad in and of itself.  It's not healthy for long term, but it's working for now and I'll have to change it up once I lose a bit more weight.  I'm also not as strict on the weekends so I'm probably close to 1.5k on the weekends (with a more intense work out since I have more time too) I'm not at all that nerdy about this to start doing math.  Like I said about not weighing myself, it's just a number.  It's not important to me, the only thing that matters is how I feel.  I have been feeling really great lately, felt so damn good at the concert this past Saturday since I biked 11 miles beforehand. 

And yea, my goal was to do this more intense diet to shed the easy pounds and get myself back into any sort of condition.  Like just riding my bike for 10 minutes was exhausting when I started, so just taking the baby steps to build my body back up.  Even with this strict diet though I can tell I've added some muscle mass in my arms (from the light dumbbell workouts I mix in) so it seems the low calerie intake hasn't hurt my muscles or anything.

Also been drinking insanes amount of water.  I get hungry for sure, but I don't feel like I am starving myself.  Like it was rough the first week but my body has adjusted and stomach shrank so as long as I don't eat a huge meal to expand it again, I don't feel so hungry non stop, just a bit in the morning before lunch and before going to bed, which sucks because that's the hardest to avoid eating since it's hard for me to fall asleep on an empty stomach.  I must say though, my sleep has improved since I've lost weight too.

Also should add that the oatmeal lunch diet is good on my wallet too, another huge positive for this.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #444 on: July 15, 2019, 01:10:21 PM »
Dude... that's awesome!  Pretty soon you'll need to be Cramx1... or maybe even cramL.   :lol

:lol Good one

I had an accident 2 years ago that messed up my knee and I put up 45 pounds, I went from 190 to 235. Last fall I started working on losing those extra pounds and in 2 months I lost 20, but because of work and life I haven't had much time to continue working on that. I am currently at 220 and I want to get back down to 190-195. At least I'm 6'2 so 220 is not that noticeable on me  ;)
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #445 on: July 15, 2019, 01:10:42 PM »
Download the MyFitnessPal app. It's probably the easiest to use calorie counter, and it syncs will a whole slew of other fitness apps if you're an exercise nerd like me. And you can add your own recipes to it, too. I home cook 99% of my meals, so I just add my recipes once and then make sure to cook them consistently each time. As an added bonus, I can go back and reference the recipe if I forget how much of an ingredient I used. And since I bag a lunch for work, I can pre-log most of my day's food in the morning at breakfast.

I dropped 50lbs in the year leading up to my son's birth by simply counting my calories and consistently exercising 4-6 times each week. It probably helps that I like exercise, though. And as for diet, I can literally eat whatever I want if it fits my calories (~2,000 per day unadjusted...meaning before I burn extra calories from exercise. Actual avg. calories consumed each day is closer to 2500 with how often I work out). Hell, I had pizza delivered last night cause I did an endurance bike ride yesterday afternoon. Still came under my calorie goal on the day.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #446 on: July 15, 2019, 01:11:48 PM »
Peanut butter sandwiches and tuna have helped get me through like the last 3 weeks. Cheap and easy and healthy!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #447 on: July 15, 2019, 01:12:12 PM »
it's hard for me to fall asleep on an empty stomach. 

Have a string cheese!  I get the same way - I'll be hungry before bed and one tiny little snack tends to help.  Otherwise, my go-to evening snack is a bowl of cheerios. 

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #448 on: July 15, 2019, 01:12:27 PM »
My newest fitness tool:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: July 15, 2019, 01:16:24 PM »
it's hard for me to fall asleep on an empty stomach. 

Have a string cheese!  I get the same way - I'll be hungry before bed and one tiny little snack tends to help.  Otherwise, my go-to evening snack is a bowl of cheerios.

I have string cheese at home, one of my go to snacks.  Actually if it's bad enough, I have these fiber one 90 calorie little bars that I like a lot and the fiber helps you feel more full.  I do feel a lot of this is mental though too, like I keep telling myself after I eat my dinner "you will not get hungry before bed" on repeat  :lol and sometimes it works.  I already eat my dinners super late too, usually not until 8-9pm, which isn't good but I don't get home until 7pm on most days and then workout and usually not ready to eat right after.

Offline H2

« Reply #450 on: July 15, 2019, 03:21:19 PM »
I absolutely detest fads.  It may be cliche, but a well balanced NUTRITION PLAN is a better approach to long term success.  Do you plan on eating the Keto way for the rest of your life?  Likely not.  To each their own though, and if it's working for you now, great.  Hopefully
Thanks. I'm just using Keto for cutting, I think. Might switch to something moderate after hitting my cutting goal. It is a nutrition plan, in fact, with determinate macros (5% carbs/ 70% fat/ 25% protein). I welcome the plethora of veggies and a hard limit on sugar. Also, studies apparently show higher retention rates with low-carb diets like keto than other kinds of diet. This video is pretty informative and cites these studies. The main downside is lower workout intensity but I don't think you absolutely need carbs so long as you get the micronutrients you need. Of course, keto is just one of many roads to success.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #451 on: July 15, 2019, 03:45:56 PM »
It is a nutrition plan, in fact, with determinate macros (5% carbs/ 70% fat/ 25% protein).

I can tell you that virtually no body builder uses a macro mix like that during their cutting phase. They use 50-60/15-20/30-35, with tremendous results.  I realize people can have success using Keto, but it's by no means good for you or sustainable. And 5% carbs is so low it'll probably impair cognitive function, too. The hard sugar limit is probably a good thing, so long as it allows for some fruit sugar, but 5% carbs is insane.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: July 15, 2019, 03:56:21 PM »
I've felt myself getting a bit 'lazy' the past month or two.....only running two, maybe three days a week...(3-5 miles a time) which is down from my 4-5 days a week I'd been on for the past 7-8 years. Part of it was I was taking a bit of a break. Dealt with a leg/hamstring issue over the past winter from playing hockey....had a pretty severe case of tennis elbow....was just feeling run down, so I stepped it back a bit to 'heal' a bit.

BUT....I don't like how 'comfortable' I'm getting just ho humming along at one or two days a week running. So...I went ahead and registered for another Half Marathon Trail Run on Sept. 7th. I've run enough halves to know that I don't need much more training to be able to handle the distance per say....but I do need the 'challenge' out there to get me running 4-5 days a week again.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: July 15, 2019, 04:49:25 PM »
There are dozens of <100 cal snacks available ... almonds, hard-boiled egg, yogurt (get Greek... higher protein), turkey pepperette's, turkey kolbasa... those are my go-to's.  I try to stay away from those processed bars.  Fibre 1 bars are nice and all, but 9 grams of sugar.  No thanks.  I do keep Pure Protein on hand if/when I need something in a pinch.  2-3 grams of sugar for those.

Damn... this is supposed to be the exercise thread, not nutrition!   :lol

@H.  All good man.  I'm a firm believer of 'if it's working for you, have at it', no matter what "it" is.  I just remember watching Jeff Cavaliere talking about it (both good and bad... just offering his view points) about it - and saying pretty much what I'm trying to say.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: July 15, 2019, 05:14:51 PM »
I need a high fiber diet for the anus, hence fiber one bars and oatmeal being part of my diet.  Yea, processed shit isn't good for you, but it's cheap and is currently working.  I did have a huge container of almonds at my desk but I finished it last month and haven't replenished.  And eating fresh fruit has never been my thing (for one, I really dislike most fruit (strawberries and cantaloupes maybe what I like the most) , second it's a pain to constantly try and keep fresh fruit around the house for a single dude).

Last time I did the weight loss thing, I ate a lot of greek yogurt.  I should get more for snacking.  I'd use it in a protein shake too, but I don't want to buy protein powder this time around.  It's expensive and I'd rather eat lean meats for my protein right now.  Maybe after I get the weight down and I want to start getting more muscle and adjust my diet for more calories I'll do that again.