Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 188043 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Back on the bandwagon
« Reply #350 on: March 11, 2017, 03:50:27 PM »
I've got the annual Trail Half Marathon I run every spring on March 5th this year and I'm looking forward to running it at this weight as opposed to when I ran the full marathon last October 28lbs heavier.

Ran the race last Sunday and man what a difference it was being lighter. The course was in great condition as typically it's very muddy, or snow packed...maybe raining at the time....it's usually just one big muckfest of a 13 Mile Trail run. This year it was bone dry and mid 60's temperature wise. I missed my all time best trail run time by about 45 seconds, I finished in 2 hrs 19minutes (43 seconds). My best time on this course was in 2012 and it was 2:18:33. The 'medal' for finishing was pretty neat....just a hunk of Cedar with the race name and info. burned into it.

But, I was thrilled to even get that close to that time because like I said it's typically pretty wet/muddy which makes going for a good time tough. Anyway, my sister in law ran it this year for the first time and she did pretty good as well considering she had a skin/mole sample gouged out and taken from her leg two weeks prior...she didn't know if she'd be able to run due to the stitches but she healed pretty quick and powered through it. 

Hoofin' it to the finish....notice my wake knocked a guy over in the background   :lol

My Sister in Law and I:

The gmillerdrake clan:

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #351 on: March 12, 2017, 07:56:37 AM »
Congrats on the time :tup Sadly I think I'm going to have to miss my first half in a couple weeks because I overdid the miles and aggravated my IT band. Going to try for a short run next weekend to see if I've rested it enough, but it's not looking good.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #352 on: March 12, 2017, 09:04:21 AM »
Congrats on the time :tup Sadly I think I'm going to have to miss my first half in a couple weeks because I overdid the miles and aggravated my IT band. Going to try for a short run next weekend to see if I've rested it enough, but it's not looking good.
https://sequencewiz.org/2014/05/28/it-band-stretching-it-band-rolling-it-band-tightness/

I've got major hip issues relating to Glute Med, ITB, TFL, and Psoas. I think I either have a Glute injury that led to disruption of the ITB, TFL, and Psoas, OR I injured my Glute awhile back, which caused my ITB to handle lateral stability, and with the Glute not working, the ITB became injured, and the entire kinetic chain broke down. The real issue comes in course of action. A Glute injury would require rest so it can heel. If the remaining injury is to the ITB, I would need to strengthen the Glute Med to help with lateral stability and take the stress off the ITB. I've been completely shut down for 8 weeks and most/all of he tightness is gone, but the acute pains are still there.

Congrats on the time G! Trails are the best.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: March 12, 2017, 10:53:46 AM »
good job!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #354 on: March 15, 2017, 03:24:54 PM »
Trying to get back into running a bit at the moment. I went out for a run with my mate Johnny, bearing I've not been for a run since probably last August I'm quite chuffed that I did about 4.5 miles without having to stop for a break/walk. Well I'm happy, carry on  :biggrin:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: March 15, 2017, 03:37:02 PM »
Trying to get back into running a bit at the moment. I went out for a run with my mate Johnny, bearing I've not been for a run since probably last August I'm quite chuffed that I did about 4.5 miles without having to stop for a break/walk. Well I'm happy, carry on  :biggrin:

Thats a good jaunt considering the amount of time off.   :tup

I had an extremely odd and painful piercing pain in my right knee last night during an INSANITY workout. To the point of where i could not place any weight on that leg without it really hurting with a stabbing pain. Then, today it feels as if nothing ever happened? I'm gonna go for a run in a bit to see if it crops up again, but it was weird.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #356 on: March 17, 2017, 09:21:41 AM »

So how are you feeling after that run? I'm curious if you still think they was a good idea?

Just had a successful MRI on my hip, so I'm excited to figure what the problem has been.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #357 on: March 20, 2017, 02:04:35 PM »
Congrats gmiller! Inspiration
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #358 on: March 20, 2017, 02:13:18 PM »
I started going to gym to work out twice a week since a few weeks ago. I'm surprised that it's actually pretty enjoyable to not use your brain at all and just use your muscles for an hour or so (while listening to some good music of course :azn:) I really hope I'm going stay motivated enough to keep up with this for this in the coming months.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: March 20, 2017, 02:27:43 PM »
Congrats gmiller! Inspiration

:tup   Thanks Sir!

I started going to gym to work out twice a week since a few weeks ago. I'm surprised that it's actually pretty enjoyable to not use your brain at all and just use your muscles for an hour or so (while listening to some good music of course :azn:) I really hope I'm going stay motivated enough to keep up with this for this in the coming months.

good luck. I notice it big time mentally when I haven't exercised in a few day. I consider my exercise these days less about the physical aspect and more for my mental well being. I just 'feel' better when routinely exercising all around.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: March 20, 2017, 05:11:15 PM »
I'm 5 ft 8 ( around 173cm ) and around 170lb yet my BMI is apparently overweight...

Like Black Floyd said - i'm hoping it's increased muscle making up for reduced chubb :coolio

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: March 20, 2017, 06:28:26 PM »
Yeah, those BMI charts are silly. I'm 5'-6", weigh 165lbs and am considered overweight. The 'suggested' weight for my height is 140lbs which is ridiculous. I'd be a stick figure.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: March 21, 2017, 06:15:18 AM »
I figured as much and didn't put too much thought into it.

Coz I'm clearly not overweight to look at me.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #364 on: April 06, 2017, 06:12:28 AM »
First time visiting this thread in a while.

So, I just completed the ten-week challenge at my kickboxing gym:
Weight -  210.4 to 198.6 (in gym clothes)
Body fat - 28.4% to 23.4%
Jumping jacks/minute - 78 with poor form and winded to 84 with perfect form without being winded
Sit-ups/min: 33 to 46
push-ups/min: 30 (poor form) to 46 (proper form)

For the most part, been going 5 days/week, but the big difference-maker on weight has been diet.  Eating a small breakfast, having 100 cal nuts as mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks, making salads a default for lunch, and making unrefined carbs a deliberate decision rather than a default.  Also drinking somewhat less, and focusing on whisk(e) and wine instead of beer.

I'm about halfway to where I want to be, though that includes putting on more muscle as well as dropping more fat.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #365 on: April 06, 2017, 06:14:18 AM »
BMI is  useless.

https://thescienceexplorer.com/brain-and-body/bmi-inaccurate-mislabels-54-million-obese-or-overweight-people-unhealthy

https://www.medicaldaily.com/body-mass-index-bmi-calculator-healthy-weight-obesity-372852

Apparently Jennie Craig, Weight Watchers, etc. all had a voice in how the categories were set, so of course the overweight and obesity categories seem lower than would make sense.  Hell, I was obese until about three weeks ago, but certainly didn't look it.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #366 on: April 06, 2017, 07:05:44 AM »
I've got a couple random questions for you Millahh:
How tall are you?
Did your proper form push-ups include touching the ground with your chest and full extension? What some people consider push-ups really bother me sometimes, but I'm not attacking you, just curious and I want to make sure people are doing things properly :). Navy standards are not good enough for me :rollin.
Did your situps include any help? Someone holding your feet?

Congrats on the success! Keep it up!

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #367 on: April 06, 2017, 07:13:39 AM »
Well, I finally got my MRI results, and its an "Extreme Labral Tear" in my left hip. The doc is pescimistic that it could heal in any meaningful way that would allow me to return to my normal self. So, it looks like surgery is necessary. It would be a 6 month recovery, but a lot of that would be rehab. I would be on the bike immediately, but it would be a while before I can really burn some calories. I need to make a decision and pull the trigger, cuz this will more than likely KILL my 2017. But I've been in the dark in "indefinite​ wait" mode, which has been very tough mentally. Knowing what the problem is and what I need to do to fix it is a huge step, so now I can finally work towards being ME again, cuz I've been a shell of myself for the last 6 months.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #368 on: April 06, 2017, 07:45:46 AM »
I've got a couple random questions for you Millahh:
How tall are you?
Did your proper form push-ups include touching the ground with your chest and full extension? What some people consider push-ups really bother me sometimes, but I'm not attacking you, just curious and I want to make sure people are doing things properly :). Navy standards are not good enough for me :rollin.
Did your situps include any help? Someone holding your feet?

Congrats on the success! Keep it up!

I'm ~5'8.5", with a broad frame (in an alternate universe, I have the frame of a short running back).

Pushup form, was full extension at top, and at least my shirt touching the floor at the bottom.  My major for issue has been that my elbows were going out at about a 45 degree angle from my body initially, and now my arm movement is perpendicular (which also requires my hands to be further spaced, and utilizes core and stabilizers properly).

Situps, my legs were hooked around the bag, but I wasn't using it to anchor my feet down.  May not be objectively perfect, but since this was about tracking change over the course of ten weeks, it's not unreasonable.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #369 on: April 06, 2017, 09:22:36 AM »
Okay, good stuff! You're exactly right on the push-ups. I see so many people with their hands low to their body with a tremendous amount of angle in the arms, which incorporates more of the anterior delt, and makes it a less efficient movement. Also, at 5'9” (see, I can be generous), your WERE definitely obese at 210, which only means that your were more than 30 lbs overwieght. But, that's clearly in the past, so fuck me :biggrin:. And I'm sure you've put on muscle mass while you've lost those 12 lbs, which makes the work you've put in that much more impressive  :tup.

Here's your next Sit-up challenge, or for anyone that wants to take it on:
Functional Sit-up (flat on your back, legs extended, back of heels on the ground)
Acceptable Repetition includes scapula/shoulder blades touching the ground to shoulders crossing the hips, back to the ground. (don't curl or lunge down the body, keep your torso straight)
100 Sit-ups For Time (clock starts when your shoulders leave the ground and stops when your shoulders hit the ground at 100 count.
PR: 2:42 (1/1.62 sec)
Good Luck!

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #370 on: April 06, 2017, 09:38:24 AM »
Okay, good stuff! You're exactly right on the push-ups. I see so many people with their hands low to their body with a tremendous amount of angle in the arms, which incorporates more of the anterior delt, and makes it a less efficient movement. Also, at 5'9” (see, I can be generous), your WERE definitely obese at 210, which only means that your were more than 30 lbs overwieght. But, that's clearly in the past, so fuck me :biggrin:. And I'm sure you've put on muscle mass while you've lost those 12 lbs, which makes the work you've put in that much more impressive  :tup.

On the overweight/obese thing, this goes to what PS posted on BMI being a bunch of hot garbage (at least the way it is commonly applied)...in order for me to get to a point where I'm no longer "overweight" by BMI standards, I need to be in the neighborhood of 7% body fat, and that's assuming I hadn't even put on muscle mass.  Allowing for added muscle mass, that's more like 4-5% body fat.

In design of clinical studies, we do utilize BMI for inclusion/exclusion criteria (really, only to exclude extreme outliers in therms of physique/health), so it has some validity, but that's in a narrow context, not the broad health pronouncements that come from the calculations.  The calculation doesn't account for frame or gender (it approximates body surface area based on height), and so the generalizations made form it have limited applicability.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #371 on: April 06, 2017, 09:52:13 AM »
I was gonna quote my previous thoughts on BMI, but I guess I never posted them because everyone else already hit the nail on the head :rollin. If I never hear that acronym for the rest of my life, I would be happy with that. Sorry if it sounded like I was being negative. Not referring to anyone in particular, but I have this personal opinion that if you want to get better at something, it's important to know what is deficient. Having an inauthentic view only helps to keep people misguided. I just see so many people on a regular basis that have the WRONG IDEA.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #372 on: April 06, 2017, 10:54:17 AM »
I was gonna quote my previous thoughts on BMI, but I guess I never posted them because everyone else already hit the nail on the head :rollin. If I never hear that acronym for the rest of my life, I would be happy with that. Sorry if it sounded like I was being negative. Not referring to anyone in particular, but I have this personal opinion that if you want to get better at something, it's important to know what is deficient. Having an inauthentic view only helps to keep people misguided. I just see so many people on a regular basis that have the WRONG IDEA.

I get it and wasn't taking it personally, was more using it as an illustration.

I'm also a firm believer in having an accurate view of a situation, so that proper action can be taken...but BMI and weight are very limited measures, and can sound false alarms (and create unrealistic/inappropriate goals).  Wish we could just stick to % body fat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: April 06, 2017, 11:01:55 AM »
Since my bike engine went kaput - i'll be walking around town a lot more - especially since it's getting warmer and sunnier.

That should help keep off the 15lb or so I shed since Christmas.

Plus work is gonna get busy in the summer so that'll keep me fit too. :tup

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #374 on: April 26, 2017, 11:50:16 AM »
I had hip surgery on 4/14 (arthroscopy, femoraplasty, acetabuluplasty, repair of extreme labrum tear). I've been walking without crutches for days, and riding 40+ mins a day on my bike. I've got my PT assessment tomorrow and will start next week. Then 6 weeks of PT, which will bring me to 8 weeks after surgery, which is when I can get back to golf. And then after week 12 is when I can run. July​ 7 is already marked on my calendar and I'm counting down the days. I'm so fucking excited to get back to work! Nothing like coming back from a 6 month layoff by getting back into running in Florida in July :metal.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 09:10:52 AM by sylvan »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: April 26, 2017, 06:56:17 PM »
I had hip surgery on 4/14 (arthroscopy, femoraplasty, acetabuluplasty, repair of extreme labrum tear). I've been walking without crutches for days, and riding 40+ mins a day on my bike. I've got my PT assessment tomorrow and will start next week. Then 6 weeks of PT, which will bring me to 8 weeks after surgery, which is when I can get back to golf. And then after week 12 is when I can run. July​ 7 is a!Ready marked on my calendar and I'm counting down the days. I'm so fucking excited to get back to work! Nothing like coming back from a 6 month layoff by getting back into running in Florida in July :metal.

Good work mate.  Keep up the positive attitude and you'll get there.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: April 27, 2017, 07:05:30 AM »
Keep up the good work!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #377 on: April 29, 2017, 05:04:59 AM »
So, after an 18 month hiatus, I'm back on the bandwagon.  Mostly been spinning on the exercise bike while watching hockey for the last month-ish.  I now also weaved in a deck-of-cards workout, and holy hell is my body feeling it

Hearts - pushups
Diamonds - situps
Spades - squats
Clubs - burpees

Mother-fucker am I out of shape.... but feeling good so far.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #378 on: May 01, 2017, 10:19:52 AM »
 :tup good work there.  Deck of cards is always a fun time!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #379 on: May 01, 2017, 11:04:15 AM »
:tup good work there.  Deck of cards is always a fun time!

Every time I get a face card, I remember your story about 'death by pullups', and think "shit, I can't even do 13 burpees right now!"
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #380 on: May 03, 2017, 08:15:37 AM »
I've made a point recently to start walking and stretching a lot more, and it is definitely helping.  Back soreness is a lot less severe (was a 4-5 for a while there, now about 1-3 most days).   Case in point:

I went to the Neal Morse Band concert back in January. I was still around 215 at the time, and despite sitting for most of that concert, the next day it felt like someone had taken a sledgehammer to my back. 

Fast forward to last night.  I am now at 198, and despite standing for most of the Devin Townsend concert (I sat for both openers, for the most part), my back feels mostly fine today (was a tad sore when I got home, but not too bad).

But yeah, this is the first time I've been under 200 since late 2012. I was in the 203-208 range for most of the time since, but had gotten up to 217 by the beginning of this year, so this year has been a slow and steady decrease.  19 lbs since 1-1.  I want to get down to 185-190 and stay in that range. I will make it. :hat

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: May 03, 2017, 08:48:05 AM »
That's fantastic progress going from 217 down to 198 since the beginning of the year.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #382 on: May 03, 2017, 09:00:23 AM »
Way to go Kev! Just goes​ to show lifting weights is only one part of fitness, and not always the most important part.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #383 on: May 03, 2017, 09:06:24 AM »
Thanks, to both of ya!

I have started lifting light again lately, but the weight loss is mainly because of how I eat.  Losing weight is 90% diet and 10% exercise, I am convinced of it.  And I did not radically change my eating habits.  Just a few tweaks and here we are.  I still eat what I want most of the time (pizza once a week, baby!).  And honestly, that back soreness after the Neal concert was a blessing in disguise, because it showed me again that just a minimal amount of movement (I am still active at concerts, even when sitting down) caused pain, so losing weight and stretching to lessen the aching was a must.

Also, I bought a box of Thin Mints six weeks ago and told myself I am not allowed to eat them until I get to 195.  They are still sitting in the freezer unopened.  Three more lbs... :lol :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: May 03, 2017, 09:09:49 AM »
Yeah diet plays a huge role compared to just exercise.

But you still need to treat/reward yourself to something every week or two and pizza is my go to food as well!