Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Back on the bandwagon  (Read 5753 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Back on the bandwagon
« Reply #350 on: March 11, 2017, 03:50:27 PM »
I've got the annual Trail Half Marathon I run every spring on March 5th this year and I'm looking forward to running it at this weight as opposed to when I ran the full marathon last October 28lbs heavier.

Ran the race last Sunday and man what a difference it was being lighter. The course was in great condition as typically it's very muddy, or snow packed...maybe raining at the time....it's usually just one big muckfest of a 13 Mile Trail run. This year it was bone dry and mid 60's temperature wise. I missed my all time best trail run time by about 45 seconds, I finished in 2 hrs 19minutes (43 seconds). My best time on this course was in 2012 and it was 2:18:33. The 'medal' for finishing was pretty neat....just a hunk of Cedar with the race name and info. burned into it.

But, I was thrilled to even get that close to that time because like I said it's typically pretty wet/muddy which makes going for a good time tough. Anyway, my sister in law ran it this year for the first time and she did pretty good as well considering she had a skin/mole sample gouged out and taken from her leg two weeks prior...she didn't know if she'd be able to run due to the stitches but she healed pretty quick and powered through it. 

Hoofin' it to the finish....notice my wake knocked a guy over in the background   :lol

My Sister in Law and I:

The gmillerdrake clan:

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #351 on: March 12, 2017, 07:56:37 AM »
Congrats on the time :tup Sadly I think I'm going to have to miss my first half in a couple weeks because I overdid the miles and aggravated my IT band. Going to try for a short run next weekend to see if I've rested it enough, but it's not looking good.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #352 on: March 12, 2017, 09:04:21 AM »
Congrats on the time :tup Sadly I think I'm going to have to miss my first half in a couple weeks because I overdid the miles and aggravated my IT band. Going to try for a short run next weekend to see if I've rested it enough, but it's not looking good.
http://sequencewiz.org/2014/05/28/it-band-stretching-it-band-rolling-it-band-tightness/

I've got major hip issues relating to Glute Med, ITB, TFL, and Psoas. I think I either have a Glute injury that led to disruption of the ITB, TFL, and Psoas, OR I injured my Glute awhile back, which caused my ITB to handle lateral stability, and with the Glute not working, the ITB became injured, and the entire kinetic chain broke down. The real issue comes in course of action. A Glute injury would require rest so it can heel. If the remaining injury is to the ITB, I would need to strengthen the Glute Med to help with lateral stability and take the stress off the ITB. I've been completely shut down for 8 weeks and most/all of he tightness is gone, but the acute pains are still there.

Congrats on the time G! Trails are the best.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: March 12, 2017, 10:53:46 AM »
good job!

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
    • My Last.fm Profile......finally
« Reply #354 on: March 15, 2017, 03:24:54 PM »
Trying to get back into running a bit at the moment. I went out for a run with my mate Johnny, bearing I've not been for a run since probably last August I'm quite chuffed that I did about 4.5 miles without having to stop for a break/walk. Well I'm happy, carry on  :biggrin:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #355 on: March 15, 2017, 03:37:02 PM »
Trying to get back into running a bit at the moment. I went out for a run with my mate Johnny, bearing I've not been for a run since probably last August I'm quite chuffed that I did about 4.5 miles without having to stop for a break/walk. Well I'm happy, carry on  :biggrin:

Thats a good jaunt considering the amount of time off.   :tup

I had an extremely odd and painful piercing pain in my right knee last night during an INSANITY workout. To the point of where i could not place any weight on that leg without it really hurting with a stabbing pain. Then, today it feels as if nothing ever happened? I'm gonna go for a run in a bit to see if it crops up again, but it was weird.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #356 on: March 17, 2017, 09:21:41 AM »

So how are you feeling after that run? I'm curious if you still think they was a good idea?

Just had a successful MRI on my hip, so I'm excited to figure what the problem has been.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #357 on: March 20, 2017, 02:04:35 PM »
Congrats gmiller! Inspiration
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #358 on: March 20, 2017, 02:13:18 PM »
I started going to gym to work out twice a week since a few weeks ago. I'm surprised that it's actually pretty enjoyable to not use your brain at all and just use your muscles for an hour or so (while listening to some good music of course :azn:) I really hope I'm going stay motivated enough to keep up with this for this in the coming months.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #359 on: March 20, 2017, 02:27:43 PM »
Congrats gmiller! Inspiration

:tup   Thanks Sir!

I started going to gym to work out twice a week since a few weeks ago. I'm surprised that it's actually pretty enjoyable to not use your brain at all and just use your muscles for an hour or so (while listening to some good music of course :azn:) I really hope I'm going stay motivated enough to keep up with this for this in the coming months.

good luck. I notice it big time mentally when I haven't exercised in a few day. I consider my exercise these days less about the physical aspect and more for my mental well being. I just 'feel' better when routinely exercising all around.

Online Kotowboy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: March 20, 2017, 05:11:15 PM »
I'm 5 ft 8 ( around 173cm ) and around 170lb yet my BMI is apparently overweight...

Like Black Floyd said - i'm hoping it's increased muscle making up for reduced chubb :coolio
Star Trek Beyond is the 3rd greatest Star Trek movie.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #361 on: March 20, 2017, 06:28:26 PM »
Yeah, those BMI charts are silly. I'm 5'-6", weigh 165lbs and am considered overweight. The 'suggested' weight for my height is 140lbs which is ridiculous. I'd be a stick figure.

Online Kotowboy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: March 21, 2017, 06:15:18 AM »
I figured as much and didn't put too much thought into it.

Coz I'm clearly not overweight to look at me.
Star Trek Beyond is the 3rd greatest Star Trek movie.