Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 188003 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Back on the bandwagon
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2015, 10:34:10 AM »
@ Hath... great story man.  And no, never have had non-flavored BCAAs.  I get xtend from BodyBuilding.com.  I don't particularly like using that site, but it's the cheapest option for me to ship to Canada.

@ Chino... forgot to mention, I use Sparkpeople for tacking - same deal as MyFitnesspal.

Also, I use a Jawbone UP band.  Anyone else use that... or share what fitness bands you do use.  I'm sure all of them have the 'team' feature to track/compete against people.  Anyone using UP, I'm happy to join a team.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2015, 10:45:35 AM »
@ Hath... great story man.  And no, never have had non-flavored BCAAs.  I get xtend from BodyBuilding.com.  I don't particularly like using that site, but it's the cheapest option for me to ship to Canada.

The forums on that website are beyond depressing. Absolute lowest of the low.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2015, 10:53:37 AM »
Jingle, I have the 52.5 lbs dumbbells.  They are really awesome. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2015, 11:02:32 AM »
At the start of the year I was out of shape, I wasn't super fat or anything but I have a pair of pants I wasn't fitting into... During February I went on vacation and after lots of mountain hiking I came back in really good shape and started going out jogging twice a week, doing 10k each time and also playing soccer during the weekend. Then winter came and that all stopped. I'm waiting for warmer climate to come back so I can start getting in shape again. I'll join you guys in 2 months or so  :P
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2015, 11:07:08 AM »
Jingle, I have the 52.5 lbs dumbbells.  They are really awesome.

I have some of those too - good space/time saver , not that I use dumbells a great deal.

My chin bar is attached to the metal work on my lifting cage......came as part of the set up actually which was handy.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2015, 11:19:32 AM »

The forums on that website are beyond depressing. Absolute lowest of the low.

I lurked there a little bit once a few years back, trying to pickup some tips/routines etc...  Never went to the forums.  Only peruse some articles, and buy my BCAAs there.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2015, 12:14:56 PM »
I started working our on a regular basis again a few months back. I'm lucky enough to have a nice workout facility at my job so that makes it really easy from a time perspective. I've gained about 5 pounds this year but I think only half of that is muscle. My wife started cutting out gluten which has greatly reduced the amount of snack food in our house. I find that I have very little self control around snacking if we have crap in the house. I've stopped buying chips and other garbage. Trying to snack on pretzels or granola if I need something substantial. My one vice is beer. My goal is really try and cut back on portions and what we eat. So far we've greatly reduced the amount of boxed meals we eat and have increased the amount of vegetables we eat. Portion is still an issue but that's the next biggie on the list to get into check.

@ Chino- You mentioned you don't like the texture of vegetables. Have you tried juicing? My wife has been doing it for about 3 months and she loves it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2015, 12:25:05 PM »
@ Chino- You mentioned you don't like the texture of vegetables. Have you tried juicing? My wife has been doing it for about 3 months and she loves it.

I did look at that as an option. I ended up going the nutribullet route instead. I've read that with juicing, a lot of the fiber and stuff gets left behind.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2015, 12:27:59 PM »
I have a similar texture of food problem with fruit.  Most fruits I love the flavor and taste, but cannot eat due to texture.  I can't explain it, but eating a banana almost makes me puke.  Berries and grapes... ew the texture kills me.  I can do apples if they are cut though.  Regardless, take all those fruits I dislike, specifically berries and bananas and throw them into a smoothie and its delish.  Vegetables I am OK with.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2015, 12:33:29 PM »
I've read that with juicing, a lot of the fiber and stuff gets left behind.

this is true, however fiber is easily obtained elsewhere
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2015, 12:37:35 PM »
I've read that with juicing, a lot of the fiber and stuff gets left behind.

this is true, however fiber is easily obtained elsewhere

True. But then I need to buy a supplement or eat more food just to get the fiber. I'm trying to be around the kitchen a little as possible  :lol I don't like juices (cranberry, grape, orange, etc..) that much. Apple juice is really the only juice I'll drink, and I'd prefer it at room temp  :lol I don't think juice'd veggies would do well with me. However, when blended with a bunch of berries, oranges, and banannas, it's more like a shake and easier for me to deal with.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2015, 12:55:51 PM »
I have a similar texture of food problem with fruit.  Most fruits I love the flavor and taste, but cannot eat due to texture.  I can't explain it, but eating a banana almost makes me puke.  Berries and grapes... ew the texture kills me.  I can do apples if they are cut though.  Regardless, take all those fruits I dislike, specifically berries and bananas and throw them into a smoothie and its delish.  Vegetables I am OK with.

Too funny... I just pounded back 200g of grapes.  yum yum.

@ Chino... tried getting your 'greens' through pill form?  I did that for a while once, but as I recall, ya gotta take a lot, and those are some horse-sized pills.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2015, 01:53:08 PM »
Timely thread! I just started the NHS couch to 5k programme yesterday, it's a plan to get you from zero fitness to running 5k in nine weeks. I used to love treadmill at the gym but stopped going about xmas time as I was getting shin pain, and am now incredibly unfit. Partly because I'm asthmatic, but I used to smoke too which made the asthma really bad. I don't really smoke much now (a cig or two every month or two, none since the end of May at the moment and before that I think was one in April) so it's time to get back into shape (you can't be fit, asthmatic AND a smoker :P).

Turns out running outside is wayyyyy harder than running in the gym, but I went for my first session last night just around the block, it was a five min warm up brisk walk, then intervals of 90 mins walking, 60 seconds running for twenty minutes, and a warm down for five minutes. I went for a jog the night before and was knackered within ten minutes from trying to just jog nonstop so I think this intervals stuff is really gonna work for me. I managed the workout fine, I was exhausted and sweaty but completed it so I reckon it's pitched just right for me to start.

Here's hoping I keep it up! I certainly plan to. Next session tomorrow night.

My wife and the neighborhood wives all did this program....she really liked the interval training as well. They all stuck to it and accomplished the 5k so good luck!!!

I did the second workout tonight. Same as last time. I actually enjoyed it and didn't need my inhaler at all.

I'm also trying to lose a tiny bit of weight... these are my starting stats:

5ft 9
144lbs

And I'd like to get down to about 138lbs if possible. I already lost 10lbs since February but progress has slowed down. I'm a healthy weight I just prefer being lighter. I'm using myfitnesspal too, I tend to aim for 1200 calories per day and then some days I can go over by a couple hundred (or eat back my exercise calories). I have off days (weekends especially) where I let loose a little but for now, weekdays at least, I wanna stick to 1200 calories. I lost a tonne of weight on the app before and am only 7lbs away from the lowest weight I was on there, but for me that's pretty unattainable to maintain long term, at my height. If I can maintain a solid 140lbs and get fit enough to jog, I'll be happy!

I think I have a relatively good diet already to be honest, I drink 3-4 litres of water per day and I've been vegan for a lot of years. Today for example I had musli with pumpkin seeds and soya milk, some maple syrup, a soy latte for breakfast, for lunch a half sandwich with hummus, sundried tomato paste, basil, cucumber and chili seeds and a bag of sundried tomato light crisps and an apple, afternoon snack I had some cherry tomatoes and some grapes, pre run snack I had a couple of oat cakes with vegetable pate and cherry tomatoes and post run snack, despite having run out of calories (boo) I really fancied some of the spag bol that was going so I just had a tinyyyyy portion in a cocktail glass haha.

Having said that, there've been days where it's been pain au chocolat or croissants for breakfast with a huge sugary soy latte, chips, a massive fatty coconut green or red thai curry with tofu and coconut rice, some cheesecake, a whole family sized bag of crisps, I could go on. For a woman my build who does as little physical activity as me, I really don't need all those calories! But when I eat out with friends I tend to just get whatever I want as it seems daft to be spending so much on a meal if I'm not getting max enjoyment haha.

My biggest weight loss tips are a) eat as many things with chopsticks as possible (slows you down and lets you appreciate the food more) and b) drink shitloads of water. Especially prior to a meal. I know I eat well, just need to stick at it because I have a massive tendency to eat HUGE portions, like seriously huge portions even my friends who lift weights sometimes haven't been able to finish in the past haha. It's mostly healthy, good stuff though.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 01:59:44 PM by nightmare_cinema »
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2015, 04:55:49 PM »
Reading a lot of everyone's stories I can totally relate to.  I have lost a total of 45kg (100lbs) and the best bit of advice I can give everyone is it's all about portion sizes.  Control the types of food but if you are true to yourself with how much you are actually eating, you'll make progress.  If you are in a caloric surplus, you'll put on weight, no matter what type of food you are eating.

Saying that, eating dense, low calorie food is the best way to combat eating too much and staying in a caloric defeceit.  When I was fat, my diet use to be cakes, donuts, soft drink, McD's, pizza, choc milk and anything I can get my hands on.  My diet now only consists of chicken breast, vegetables, salmon, oats, yogurt, eggs and some peanut butter.

Weekends I usually allow a small cheat meal and maybe some ice cream and a latte or two also.  Works well when you can schedule a treat or cheat meal, it will keep your diet in check just don't go overboard.  If I have a cheat meal day also, I'll usually won't eat much more than that.  Might fast until about 2, have something small and a coffee then my meal.  I like to change my conistency of when I eat a couple of days a week, suppose to keep the body guessing.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2015, 05:08:18 PM »
   Anyone else have any 'epiphany' moments that has helped them?

When I get on these "I need to lose 10 lbs" or whatever kicks, it's usually cause I had a moment where I was like, "This is ridiculous."  This time, it was a few weeks ago when I realized that most of my summer t-shirts make me look not as trim as I want to look.  That is when I told myself that I would get back at it after vacation (which was this past Sat-Tues). 

Weighed in today at 209 when I went to the gym at lunch; I want to be at 190 by November 1st.  Slow and steady wins the race. :coolio

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2015, 05:27:27 PM »
I'm 5 ft 8 and I weigh 12.5 stone. ( 175 lb )

I'm in that middle area where i'm not really overweight or nicely normal.

I'm quite muscly too which apparently can put your BMI out...

But my pedometer app says I walk around 6 miles a day at work so something isn't working :lol

I only eat when i'm hungry and even then it's not much.

:dunno: ehh I dunno.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2015, 05:30:38 PM »
Reading a lot of everyone's stories I can totally relate to.  I have lost a total of 45kg (100lbs) and the best bit of advice I can give everyone is it's all about portion sizes.  Control the types of food but if you are true to yourself with how much you are actually eating, you'll make progress.  If you are in a caloric surplus, you'll put on weight, no matter what type of food you are eating.

Saying that, eating dense, low calorie food is the best way to combat eating too much and staying in a caloric defeceit.  When I was fat, my diet use to be cakes, donuts, soft drink, McD's, pizza, choc milk and anything I can get my hands on.  My diet now only consists of chicken breast, vegetables, salmon, oats, yogurt, eggs and some peanut butter.

Weekends I usually allow a small cheat meal and maybe some ice cream and a latte or two also.  Works well when you can schedule a treat or cheat meal, it will keep your diet in check just don't go overboard.  If I have a cheat meal day also, I'll usually won't eat much more than that.  Might fast until about 2, have something small and a coffee then my meal.  I like to change my conistency of when I eat a couple of days a week, suppose to keep the body guessing.

That's impressive to lose that much weight, did you exercise as well or you put all that weight off strictly by calorie intake?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2015, 06:11:07 PM »

That's impressive to lose that much weight, did you exercise as well or you put all that weight off strictly by calorie intake?

Thanks, it was over a few years.  I didn't want to drop weight too fast.  You have to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight whatever way you look at it, but my main exercise is weight training.  Do heavy weights 5 times a week and then about half an hour of steady cardio after each session.  Never did much running or real high intensity stuff, I'd rather the weight training.  I hate running.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2015, 07:34:11 PM »
I'm quite muscly too which apparently can put your BMI out...

yep.  According to BMI, I am classified as overweight even though my body fat % is in the single digits.
Winger would be better!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2015, 07:39:08 PM »
A load of rubbish is BMI for those who train -  in my best ever shape I was "obese"
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2015, 08:14:42 PM »
Here's the setup for me - yes, that Art of Seduction poster is my Secret Santa gift from Yeshua a couple of Christmas's ago.  I also have a Bowflex bench that I bought with the dumbells, but it gets stored under my pool table on the other end of the basement - it's the only place I have room to keep it.  As you can see, things are a little cramped.

Got the cardio machines aimed at the TV (on a wall-mount that swivels) so I can watch concerts or play PS3

@ Chino... the pull-up bar setup:

The opposite side is below.  There are two tiny little aluminum "clips" that get screwed into the wall (preferably in studs if you can), and that the bar rests in to hold it in place. The the physics of it don't rely on those clips, it uses one's own weight to essentially drive the front and back of the bar to 'squeeze' the wall.  Not sure if that makes sense or not.

Slow and steady wins the race. :coolio

Without a doubt.  When I lost my weight, it was 1-2 pounds a week for 8 months.  My belief is that anything that is more dramatic is more likely to come back.  I kept it off for 8 years or so, and would still be mid 190s if not for 'not caring' phase I've been in over the last year or so.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2015, 08:29:36 PM »
Here's my setup - it took a lot of planning to squeeze everything I wanted into a small standard size bedroom - so the adjustable dumbells , bar/weight stands , fold up treadmill etc...

Unfortunately that room has been dormant for over a year , but it's all there waiting.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2015, 08:34:49 PM »
OP updated.  Anyone else want to get on the list, just post it:

Starting Weight:
Goal Weight:
Goal Time:

That's some heavy duty stuff there Brent.  Get back at 'er

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2015, 09:37:41 PM »
I'll jump in.

Starting now:

Current weight: 235 lbs
Goal weight 1:  215 lbs by January 1st, 2016
Goal weight 2: under 200 lbs by April 29th, 2016
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2015, 03:17:26 AM »
I forgot to mention my epiphany moment! It was when I left uni and got my own place and kitchen, I started going mad cooking and eating constantly. One day I suddenly realised I had bright red stretch marks on my thighs, I weighed myself and in a few months I had gone from 136lbs to about 154lbs. That was the moment I decided it was stopping there.

First time I really tried to lose weight was so crazy easy as I was on pain relief patches that 100% killed ALL appetite, my eating then was really measured and easy to stick to as I didn't have the emotional drive of hunger to contest with. Also I was in a bad place having just lost my Mum so I wasn't hungry anyway. It's way harder now as I have a very healthy hunger and I'm in a good happy place; I tend to eat loads more when happy and when I'm sad stop eating. So it's a battle now but I'm trying to be realistic cos even it I stuck at 144lbs it's fine for my height. I just wanna get rid of a little bit of weight off my hips and I'm happy. I will try find a photo of me at my heaviest and at my lightest later to post. Anyone else got before and after pics?
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2015, 03:39:36 AM »
I think i'm at the age now where it's gonna be harder to stay healthy.

About 5 years ago I would walk 9 miles straight a night for a few weeks until I injured myself from pushing myself too hard.

But I didn't feel any better or look barely any different so I dunno.

It's not even like i stuff my face with snacks and junk food either.

My bro is the same - it took him about a year to lose 3 stone (42 lb ) and that was constantly working out and doing exercises and eating right.

But you can put it all back on in one week of bad eating... It's pretty shitty :P

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2015, 04:28:00 AM »
Should we have a weekly check in or something? Like, every Sunday we post a weight update?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2015, 05:00:53 AM »
Should we have a weekly check in or something? Like, every Sunday we post a weight update?

That's my plan.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2015, 05:37:05 AM »
That's a couple of hell setups boys.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2015, 08:28:57 AM »
Chad, I was gonna say you disappoint me as a Canadian for using the imperial system, but then I read this on Wikipedia, so I guess it makes sense  :xbones

Imperial units are still used in ordinary conversation. Today, Canadians typically use a mix of metric and imperial measurements in their daily lives. However, the use of the metric and imperial systems varies by age. The older generation mostly uses the imperial system, while the younger generation more often uses the metric system.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2015, 08:42:41 AM »

That's my plan.

Sounds good to me.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2015, 08:44:08 AM »
Chad, I was gonna say you disappoint me as a Canadian for using the imperial system, but then I read this on Wikipedia, so I guess it makes sense  :xbones

Imperial units are still used in ordinary conversation. Today, Canadians typically use a mix of metric and imperial measurements in their daily lives. However, the use of the metric and imperial systems varies by age. The older generation mostly uses the imperial system, while the younger generation more often uses the metric system.

Never once have I heard any Canadian refer to their height in cm, or their weight in kg.  Those seem to be the only imperial holdouts.  Go to the doctor's office, and they take it in pounds and feet/inches; weights in the gym are in pounds; I have a 38" waist... no clue what that is in cm's.  Personal measurements and heavy weights are still imperial.

That must've been the only 'millennial' in Canada using cm/kg that typed that bullshit.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2015, 09:43:51 AM »
my gym uses weights measured in kilos instead of lbs.  Possibly because of the emphasis on oly lifting?  But every other crossfit gym I've ever visited uses lbs.  So I don't know . . .

because of that I'm pretty good at doing the conversion in my head almost instantaneously (not that it's very difficult in the first place). :lol
Winger would be better!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2015, 10:28:05 AM »
because of that I'm pretty good at doing the conversion in my head almost instantaneously (not that it's very difficult in the first place). :lol

2.2 is pretty easy to convert on weights in multiples of 5 or 10.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2015, 10:29:24 AM »

I'm game! Just not this Sunday as I'll be pissed in a field.