Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 188037 times)

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Back on the bandwagon
« Reply #315 on: January 10, 2017, 10:01:42 AM »
The parallels are kinda funny. I also started running in 2007, but I'm only 32 now. I'm currently at about 10-12 miles per week, but that's been mainly due to persistent injuries that were the result of other injuries. One of those injuries was a grade 3 ankle sprain about 5 years ago, which sounds like what you might have had, or at least grade 2. I'm trying to ramp up to 20ish per week, but I'm less serious about the miles. People ask me if I meditate. I say, "yeah, I run." I know all about the "itch".  Otherwise, I haven't found that the running itself has been the source of any breakdown of my body. If anything, running has a beneficial effect on certain aches and pains, gets the blood flowing to help flush out lactic acid build up. It always help to loosen up my back. But, like you, I've kinda resigned to the fact that my ankle is gonna give me problems.

Quick note on ankle injuries: The body has what is called proprioception. It's our bodies ability to know where we are. Like closing your eyes and touching the tip of your finger to your nose. But it's also where we get our balance. Signals are sent to the brain to tell the brain that the body is out of position, and your brain then sends signals to the appropriate muscles to change the body position. I just under went PT for a hip injury, but discussed my old ankle injury in depth, as it very well could have been a source for the hip injury. At the very least, the two injuries were NOT helping each other. Anyways, my ankle had been rolled so many times from baseball and skateboarding as a kid, and then the most traumatic being the grade 3, that my ankle had lost proper proprioception. When your ankle starts to roll, unless it's a violent event, the ankle will tell the brain that it's doesn't want to be in that position and the brain will send the signals to help stabilize your ankle. My ankle had been in that position so many times, it's now okay with it, so it doesn't send the proper signals, and is willing to roll right over. It's happened several times in the last couple years, which only makes it worse. On top of that, 2 of the tendons in my ankle have lost almost all elasticity, so that makes the ankle less stable as well. BUT, proprioception in your ankle can be gained through the right work. It's all about repetition within the proper mechanical range of motion.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #316 on: January 10, 2017, 10:13:38 AM »
The parallels are kinda funny. I also started running in 2007, but I'm only 32 now. I'm currently at about 10-12 miles per week, but that's been mainly due to persistent injuries that were the result of other injuries. One of those injuries was a grade 3 ankle sprain about 5 years ago, which sounds like what you might have had, or at least grade 2. I'm trying to ramp up to 20ish per week, but I'm less serious about the miles. People ask me if I meditate. I say, "yeah, I run." I know all about the "itch".  Otherwise, I haven't found that the running itself has been the source of any breakdown of my body. If anything, running has a beneficial effect on certain aches and pains, gets the blood flowing to help flush out lactic acid build up. It always help to loosen up my back. But, like you, I've kinda resigned to the fact that my ankle is gonna give me problems.

Quick note on ankle injuries: The body has what is called proprioception. It's our bodies ability to know where we are. Like closing your eyes and touching the tip of your finger to your nose. But it's also where we get our balance. Signals are sent to the brain to tell the brain that the body is out of position, and your brain then sends signals to the appropriate muscles to change the body position. I just under went PT for a hip injury, but discussed my old ankle injury in depth, as it very well could have been a source for the hip injury. At the very least, the two injuries were NOT helping each other. Anyways, my ankle had been rolled so many times from baseball and skateboarding as a kid, and then the most traumatic being the grade 3, that my ankle had lost proper proprioception. When your ankle starts to roll, unless it's a violent event, the ankle will tell the brain that it's doesn't want to be in that position and the brain will send the signals to help stabilize your ankle. My ankle had been in that position so many times, it's now okay with it, so it doesn't send the proper signals, and is willing to roll right over. It's happened several times in the last couple years, which only makes it worse. On top of that, 2 of the tendons in my ankle have lost almost all elasticity, so that makes the ankle less stable as well. BUT, proprioception in your ankle can be gained through the right work. It's all about repetition within the proper mechanical range of motion.

that is funny how similar the situations are. And thanks to your info. on proprioception I'm now curios and thinking that the odd 'pop' and 'grind' that I get in my right hip periodically could be tied directly to the ankle injury....like you've mentioned?? It makes perfect sense but I've never looked into any serious physical therapy or anything like that for ANY of my aches and pains. Generally I just tough it out and that is that....probably due to how I was raised. Unless you had a compound fracture and were losing 4 quarts a blood per minute there was never any 'medical' treatment for any injury. All injuries were lathered in Mercurochrome followed closely with the instructions of 'now quit your whining'.  :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #317 on: January 10, 2017, 10:22:54 AM »
Im flat footed and that has lead to my own ankle issues.  One of a few reasons why I don't run and why I ride a bike instead of even walking for exercise.  It's also lead to my knees being mostly shit.  I finally got these New Balance shoes that my pediatrist recommended and I haven't had any tendonitis at all since I started wearing them.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #318 on: January 10, 2017, 11:27:21 AM »
GMiller - Muscle compensations are a major source of injuries in active individuals. Running is a rather dynamic activity. On top of that, there are not a tremendous amount of muscle groups responsible for moving your forward. I did PT for my hip because I damaged some muscle in my left hip complex that at some point over the last year and a half cause other muscles to take over for certain tasks. I was continuing to run (not a lot of miles) and play golf (athletic approach, high swing speed, explosive power), and because my core was in such good shape, I did a good job at compensating for a long time. When I introduced new mechanics this summer to get longer off the tee, I was asking muscles, that were already doing something they weren't meant to do, to then learning something completely new. That's when the breakdown began and culminated in not just the straw that broke the camels back, but the pallet of bricks (but it worked, I was crazy long and in the fairway). One final round before a doctors visit was catastrophic. But, all along the way, I had continuous IT band issues, strained calves, sprained my ankle a couple times, had a serious hamstring injury, lost all strength in my left glute, and eventually was told by the PT 2 months ago that I had the hips of a 65 year old. It's called the KINETIC CHAIN. A break down in any link along the chain can alter the rest of the chain.

Cram - Find your local specialty running store. They can analyze your gait and help to find a suitable shoe. At the very least, a good foundation shoe that your pediatrist can further alter with an insert. There are a lot of shoe options out there because runners come from across the spectrum. Also, proper form can help to reduce running-related injuries, as well as foot pain that comes from overpronation/supination.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: January 10, 2017, 11:34:48 AM »
Cram - Find your local specialty running store. They can analyze your gait and help to find a suitable shoe. At the very least, a good foundation shoe that your pediatrist can further alter with an insert. There are a lot of shoe options out there because runners come from across the spectrum. Also, proper form can help to reduce running-related injuries, as well as foot pain that comes from overpronation/supination.

That's exactly what my pediatrist did.  Told me to go to a specific running shoe store and they analyzed my feet and found the right shoe, no inserts necessary I was told and from the almost 2 years of wearing them, it seems legit.  I just purchased another pair of the exact same shoe .

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #320 on: January 10, 2017, 12:16:12 PM »
That's good to hear. Shoes are something I tell my clients not to skimp on. It can be the difference between buying $60-70 running shoes from a discount shoe store and tossing them in the closet or garage because they make your feet/legs hurt and you give up on running all together, and buying legit running shoes at $90+ and enjoying the running to a point that you're sold on it and you haven't thrown away money on something you won't use. Consider them a tool. My brother tore his miniscus and has only run pain free in the $180 Adidas ultra boost. But that's the difference between him running and not running. The right tool for the job.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: January 10, 2017, 12:53:55 PM »
I had continuous IT band issues

This made me cringe. Only because I had no idea what an IT band was until (2) weeks before my first Marathon when the IT Band in my left knee decided to let me know it existed. It's unreal how much that can hurt. In fact, I didn't run one bit after that until my marathon. I ran the first half with no issues....then stopped at Mile 14 to use the Johnny on the spot. When I came out the first step I took that landed on my left leg sent a jolt up and down the left side of my body that made me explode into immediate tears. It was a horrid feeling that hurt beyond what I had ever experienced with any aches or pains.

I spent the next 10 minutes jogging 30 yards in total pain and stopping....nearly convincing myself to quite. Then I began to say a few choice words to myself...challenged my manhood and just started running again. The adrenaline kicked in after a 1/4 mile or so and the pain went away............until three minutes after the race   :(

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #322 on: January 10, 2017, 03:31:02 PM »
Hey sylvan, I appreciated your thoughtful advice on the shortcomings of crunches and am curious what I should do to eliminate my gut, love handles and what remains of my bitch tits. Actually, I'll sincerely appreciate any helpful advice from anyone but I just felt like singling out sylvan cuz he's a good dude.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #323 on: January 10, 2017, 05:22:00 PM »
I've had IT Band syndrome no less than 7 times, but those all worked themselves out. This time around has been different. When it was giving me issues, which I'm hopefully past with the right stretching/strengthening routine, it was excruciating. There would be one step that would feel "poppish" and then it felt like a hot knife sinking deeper into my knee with every step, until the pain was no longer bearable. It was fine to walk home, but the running was over!

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #324 on: January 10, 2017, 06:16:16 PM »
Floyd - First and foremost, NUTRITION! After that, there's a lot of ways to burn calories. The best is running. It's second to nothing. But if running isn't your thing, any steady state cardio that raises your heart rate for a sustained period of time is good. Walking, hills, biking, swimming, Zumba, anything like that. When it comes to steady state cardio, you burn a significant amount of calories while you're active, and when your heart rate settles, so does he metabolic calorie burn. On the other hand, resistance/weight training puts the body in a state that it continues to burn calories long after the work is done. This is a great reason for someone who wants to burn fat to do resistance training. Additionally, as you begin to build muscle, your body will become more efficient at burning fat. This is why I like to combine resistance and cardio in workouts when I can for a full metabolic response, burning the most amount of calories during the activity, building muscle, and continuing to burn calories post workout. CrossFit workouts are a great example of full metabolic response workouts (as a sports performance trainer, I can't endorse CrossFit as it's the opposite of what I do, ME = Structure, CrossFit = Unstructured). Really, the basic idea is to take some resistance exercises, add a cardio section, and do a certain amount of rounds for time. It's amazing how a workout can change when you put a clock on it. PM me if you want and I can give you some more detailed advice.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER - You CANNOT spot-burn fat. Your body burns fat from where it chooses, regardless of what muscles you are using. This is where women can get frustrated, because they lose curves from good places and not from where they want to lose, and guys don't really have problems with it. Plus, It's important to be well rounded. Put the work in, eat right, and the midsection fat will burn away.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #325 on: January 10, 2017, 06:21:32 PM »
PMing you now. Thanks!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: January 11, 2017, 09:15:12 AM »
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER - You CANNOT spot-burn fat. Your body burns fat from where it chooses, regardless of what muscles you are using. This is where women can get frustrated, because they lose curves from good places and not from where they want to lose, and guys don't really have problems with it. Plus, It's important to be well rounded. Put the work in, eat right, and the midsection fat will burn away.

I was curious about this as well.  Typically the belly is the hardest spot to loss the fat and I had been wondering if sit ups would help attack that spot or not. I guess not.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #327 on: January 12, 2017, 07:27:26 AM »
Ok, I'm back on the wagon.  As a result of a fucking brutal year and a half of work, I have put on a fair bit of weight (combination of trouble getting time to exercise and eat right, stress eating, and lots and lots of cortisol from the stress).  I somehow managed to wind up at 29% body fat, despite that I do kickboxing ~3x/week, and elliptical a day or two a week.  Unhappy with how I look and how I feel.

So...my kickboxing gym is running a ten-week challenge, and I joined up.  Paying close attention to what I'm eating, avoiding needless carbs, getting the right proteins, and of course lots of kickboxing and some personal training.  I did some math, and my stretch goal is to get to 18% body fat by the end (which would mean 2 lbs/week, which is the maximum you can do and not lose muscle), with a baseline goal of 22%.  So, here we go!
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: January 12, 2017, 08:02:54 AM »
Good luck Millahh you got this

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #329 on: January 12, 2017, 09:05:24 AM »
Unhappy with how I look and how I feel.

I was thinking about commenting on this area of fitness (Psychology), but wasn't sure how it would be viewed. I find that motivation is one of the keys to starting and keeping a fitness routine.  Let's see if I can string these words together into a comprehensible thought.

I'm currently 6'1" and about 175 lbs. When I'm injury-free and running (calorie/fat burn) and lifting weights (building muscle), I eat pretty much whatever I want and live at about ~180 lbs and less than 10% body fat. I've always been athletic, and tall and lean. But, my only exercise growing up was playing sports (baseball, and then all other sports), which got the job done as far as general fitness. Unfortunately, when I got too old to continue competitive baseball, I was left with no form of activity. By the time I was 20-21, I was 195 lbs. and it was a terrible composition, too much fat and really NO muscle. Just like Millahh, and a lot of other people, I WAS UNHAPPY WITH HOW I LOOKED AND FELT. I made the decision around the age of 23 to be more active. I started running... in skateboard shoes carrying a sony walkman! You do what you gotta do! I started to notice the fat burn away, and I started to get obsessed with running. This obsession and love of running led to a small obsession with lowering my body fat. I was training for half-marathons and doing 50-60 miles a week during the FL summer. I wasn't doing any other exercise besides running, and before I knew it, I went from 195 lbs to my lowest weight as an adult, 158 lbs at around 6% body fat. That's no good. I got tired of all the long miles and time spent on the road, so I changed up my running and started doing a more well-rounded fitness routine. Really basic stuff, and I didn't know much. Fast forward to 2012, and I decided to become a Certified Personal Trainer. I learned a lot that I never knew about fitness, but I also learned that the information is out there. Anyways, my fitness became very well rounded and I took my performance to new levels. So, I'm not a big guy, and I don't want to be big. I'm a lean athlete, and I train for what I need. That being said, and this is the real crux of my point, THERE IS NO SINGLE PHYSICAL TASK THAT I FIND INTIMIDATING. Sure, tell me to pick up something heavier than I can lift, or run further than I can run, and I'll have trouble with it. But the idea of busting my ass on something extremely physically demanding is not only not intimidating, but I welcome the challenge. This is a valuable thing: CONFIDENCE! Your life can change with confidence like this. You can see it in the way I walk. Whether it's walking down the street with swagger, or across the gym like I own the place, I carry myself like I know that I'm a machine. Because I am a machine. Here's a simple mantra for you: BE AWESOME! I'm awesome because I'm good at everything, and that comes from being well rounded. The really muscular dude that can't lift his arms over his head or run 400 m is not in good shape. He's one-dimensional and is lacking in almost all aspects of fitness. The novice marathon runner that can't do 20 pushups and has poor stability is just another one-dimensional active person. Being well rounded in fitness is as crucial a part of the CONFIDENCE as doing the work at all.

This isn't about boasting. This is something achievable by anyone and everyone. If you put some effort into learning some basics that will help you be healthier and more fit, you will have the confidence of knowing that what you're doing is right. If you put the work in, you can add the confidence that comes with losing weight, getting stronger, having more energy, and just being happier about multiple aspects of your life, and YOU too CAN BE A MACHINE. If people only knew what it was like to live this way, far more people would make life changes.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #330 on: January 12, 2017, 11:32:24 AM »
The psychology angle is quite important.  For me, it's about identity.  I view myself as a healthy, fit, and and least somewhat hardass person.  Seeing the wight and body fat were very jarring, and created a lot of cognitive dissonance.  That can resolve one of two ways...accept it, and my self-identity changes, or get pissed and do something about it.  I'm choosing the latter.

-I am someone who makes working out a priority
-I am someone who makes healthy choices
-I am a badass in the gym and at work, and they reinforce each other
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #331 on: January 12, 2017, 11:50:08 AM »
The psychology angle is quite important.  For me, it's about identity.  I view myself as a healthy, fit, and and least somewhat hardass person.  Seeing the wight and body fat were very jarring, and created a lot of cognitive dissonance.  That can resolve one of two ways...accept it, and my self-identity changes, or get pissed and do something about it.  I'm choosing the latter.

-I am someone who makes working out a priority
-I am someone who makes healthy choices
-I am a badass in the gym and at work, and they reinforce each other

Fuckin' A! That's the perfect word to encapsulate all of that: BADASS. It's all a part of my identity. It's who I am. I couldn't imagine putting on ten pounds of fat, let alone the amount that a lot of people are willing to carry. Those of you who are overweight and looking to change that: JUST DO IT! The physical work is not that hard. Don't be intimidated by it, or other people you see doing difficult or strenuous workouts. Aspire to it, because it's achievable, to a certain degree, for everyone. The life choices that come with nutrition changes are more difficult for a lot of people. What do you want more? All of the BADASS that comes with being fit and healthy and able, or some fucking Coke and Cheese Puffs?

(Side note: Unless you've gone way past the obesity line, and crossed what I call the "red-line", you can get fit and healthy and still make unhealthy eating choices regularly if you're continually putting in the work. A regular-exerciser. Those people that have crossed the "red-line" are the ones that have to eat healthy and in moderation for 90% of the things they eat for the rest of their life. And that's with regular exercise. Now, that might sound intimidating for those people, but they're the ones that are in mortal danger and need the changes the most. They have no room to be intimidated. Whichever of those categories you fit in, the idea of making the important life changes should be an easy one. On one side, it's difficult at first, but will become natural in a short time, and you can still indulge almost at will. On the other side, do it or suffer from any number of major health risks, and potentially die an early death. Those are not tough decisions to make.)

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: February 19, 2017, 08:32:08 AM »
Just finished a 12 week weight loss challenge with (18) friends/family. I had gained a few pounds last summer due to the fact that I was eating out for lunch literally everyday, places like Jimmy Johns, Penn Station...Macalisters......you know, lunches that taste really good but are probably 1000-1200 calories a pop. Plus, I had begun to drink soda again which I hadn't done in years. Anyway, I hopped in the challenge intent on getting back down to my 'fighting' weight of 165 lbs.

My weigh in for the challenge was 190.2 lbs. Final weight this past Friday's weigh out was 162.4lbs....total weight loss percentage (which the contest is based off) of 14.62% Next closest competitor to below me was at 7.32%  The only issue preventing my blowout victory was that my youngest brother entered the competition a day before we began and did awesome. He started at 244lbs and final weigh in was 195.8! Dude lost 19.75%!! He wins $300 while I get the second place of $60. Thing is, I only told him about it because I wanted more people in it so I could take home more $$ when I won...if I won. Turns out, he had been to the Dr. that same week and his cholesterol was out of control bad and his blood pressure needed work as well so he took the competition very seriously and switched up some eating habits and exercise. Very happy for him.

I did another full cycle of the (60) Day INSANITY workout....plus and additional 22 days being that the cycle ended before the challenge was over so I just kept up with the workout plan. I'm here to tell you that (6) days a week of that friggin whooped this 41 year old man. That was the 4th time for me doing INSANITY and it may just be my last. Knees and ankles are pretty sore at the moment after that. I threw in additional running as well but man....I feel every bit of it.

As far as diet I would have a 200 Calorie meal replacement shake for breakfast....apple or bannana for lunch....then a 'normal' dinner, and I layed off of any of the easy carbs to eliminate like all breads and chips...plus stopped drinking soda altogether. Now that I'm at the weight I was at before last summers feast of lunches I'm going to focus on maintaining by keeping my lunches under control and making sure to stick to exercising/running at least (4) days a week. I was doing that pretty regularly before....but those lunches were out of control.

I've got the annual Trail Half Marathon I run every spring on March 5th this year and I'm looking forward to running it at this weight as opposed to when I ran the full marathon last October 28lbs heavier.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #333 on: February 19, 2017, 08:43:37 AM »
Well done, Gary.  :tup :tup

As for me, I am now 4 lbs away from being under 200 lbs for the first time since late 2012 (I am 5'11" and have fluctuated between 205-215 for the last four years).  These last few lbs to get there is gonna be a bitch, I just know it :lol, but keeping my eye on the prize.  Lately has been a bit frustrating, though, because my back has been in knots off and on again the last few weeks, even when I go to the gym (I lift very light now).  About time for another visit to the PT so he can dig into me and get rid of them knots.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: February 19, 2017, 08:55:37 AM »

As for me, I am now 4 lbs away from being under 200 lbs for the first time since late 2012 (I am 5'11" and have fluctuated between 205-215 for the last four years).  These last few lbs to get there is gonna be a bitch, I just know it :lol, but keeping my eye on the prize.  Lately has been a bit frustrating, though, because my back has been in knots off and on again the last few weeks, even when I go to the gym (I lift very light now).  About time for another visit to the PT so he can dig into me and get rid of them knots.

I know so many people they have back issues, my wife being one of them. I feel like it's just a matter of time until it's 'my turn'. Hope you can get the knots untied and go sub 200 soon!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: February 19, 2017, 12:24:31 PM »
awesome job!  :tup

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #336 on: February 20, 2017, 01:59:04 PM »
Great job on the progress everyone!

For those of you that are getting older and worried about, or already starting to feel, back pain, start the transition now! You should be doing equal amounts strength, stability, and flexibility. The latter two are what usually get neglected at younger ages when you're exercising. And on the strength part, don't go heavy often, and don't go VERY heavy ever. Unless it's a necessity to build that type of strength, it's no longer wise to break the body down in that way. Focus more on core stability and flexibility. Get the core use to functioning in various proprioceptively challenging environments, and start a flexibility continuum that will be very beneficial as you get older.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #337 on: February 20, 2017, 02:03:04 PM »
First half marathon is in about a month (March 25th). Equal parts nervous and excited. Also need to start in on a race day playlist.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: February 20, 2017, 02:08:40 PM »
First half marathon is in about a month (March 25th). Equal parts nervous and excited. Also need to start in on a race day playlist.

Cool! good Luck....it's very exciting knocking out the first one.  :tup

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #339 on: February 20, 2017, 02:16:04 PM »
I wish I could keep up the string of good progress, but my body hates me! I thought things were on the up and I would finally get healthy. Wrong!
-Ongoing hip injuries/tightness/compensations are building all summer to a devastating moment yet to come
-Hamstring strain at end of Aug. that kept me from running, and even walking prolonged distances, for ALL of Sept.
-Started easing back into running Oct.
-Decide to see doctor about hip
-Devastating round of golf took hip problem to 10
-MRI scheduled for shoulder, PT scheduled for hip
-8 mins in MRI causes the development of VERY REAL panic inducing claustrophobia based around feeling trapped
-PT seems to be going well, Running is going well
-PT went so well that I took over on my own, getting back into playing golf, running is going very well
-Mid-Jan bad hamstring strain again!, and my entire hip complex feels like it's regressed and all the PT has been undone
-I've been shut down since then, just starting to walk for exercise again, and my calf is bad after 3 days. Not sure if it's compensation or using a muscle after a long time off. I'm leaning towards muscle compensation, which means I'm gonna shut it down for another month.

It's really tough guys. It's not like any one thing is that emotionally devastating. But it's like a small piece of my optimism and hope is chipped away every day. And when it goes on month after month, almost two years since the real problem that started this cycle, you eventually are left asking yourself if it will ever be the same. Will I ever be healthy again? Will I ever be able to run injury free again? Will I ever be able to hit a golf ball 330 yards again? These are important things in my life. My reasons for living. I'm fucking dying without having these things in my life. I FUCKING WANT MY LIFE BACK!

edit: I just needed to vent. I'll get past this and be awesome again. I'm just not sure how I'll ever get an MRI, so I'm not sure how I'll pinpoint these injuries.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #340 on: February 20, 2017, 02:18:57 PM »

My suggestion for playlist is take your tempo/pace into consideration. 13 miles is a long distance, so don't go out too quick. If your music right out the gates is something high tempo, you might screw yourself. I would go with something easy/chill, or even hold off on the music for the first 5k. Save the tempo music for the end when you'll need a push.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #341 on: February 20, 2017, 09:06:53 PM »
Okay, I need your guys' expert opinions here.

I want to lose 20 pounds or so. Is there any way I can do that by sitting around eating pasta, pizza and cookies with no exercise?

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #342 on: February 20, 2017, 09:27:18 PM »

I know so many people they have back issues, my wife being one of them. I feel like it's just a matter of time until it's 'my turn'. Hope you can get the knots untied and go sub 200 soon!

Thanks! I'm getting there, slowly but surely.  The back stuff issues are a bitch because one you get them, they never really go away.

Great job on the progress everyone!

For those of you that are getting older and worried about, or already starting to feel, back pain, start the transition now! You should be doing equal amounts strength, stability, and flexibility. The latter two are what usually get neglected at younger ages when you're exercising. And on the strength part, don't go heavy often, and don't go VERY heavy ever. Unless it's a necessity to build that type of strength, it's no longer wise to break the body down in that way. Focus more on core stability and flexibility. Get the core use to functioning in various proprioceptively challenging environments, and start a flexibility continuum that will be very beneficial as you get older.

Very true, and I have actually been considering starting yoga, to increase flexibility and whatnot.  Lifting at all just bores me to tears now.

I wish I could keep up the string of good progress, but my body hates me! I thought things were on the up and I would finally get healthy. Wrong!
-Ongoing hip injuries/tightness/compensations are building all summer to a devastating moment yet to come
-Hamstring strain at end of Aug. that kept me from running, and even walking prolonged distances, for ALL of Sept.
-Started easing back into running Oct.
-Decide to see doctor about hip
-Devastating round of golf took hip problem to 10
-MRI scheduled for shoulder, PT scheduled for hip
-8 mins in MRI causes the development of VERY REAL panic inducing claustrophobia based around feeling trapped
-PT seems to be going well, Running is going well
-PT went so well that I took over on my own, getting back into playing golf, running is going very well
-Mid-Jan bad hamstring strain again!, and my entire hip complex feels like it's regressed and all the PT has been undone
-I've been shut down since then, just starting to walk for exercise again, and my calf is bad after 3 days. Not sure if it's compensation or using a muscle after a long time off. I'm leaning towards muscle compensation, which means I'm gonna shut it down for another month.

It's really tough guys. It's not like any one thing is that emotionally devastating. But it's like a small piece of my optimism and hope is chipped away every day. And when it goes on month after month, almost two years since the real problem that started this cycle, you eventually are left asking yourself if it will ever be the same. Will I ever be healthy again? Will I ever be able to run injury free again? Will I ever be able to hit a golf ball 330 yards again? These are important things in my life. My reasons for living. I'm fucking dying without having these things in my life. I FUCKING WANT MY LIFE BACK!

edit: I just needed to vent. I'll get past this and be awesome again. I'm just not sure how I'll ever get an MRI, so I'm not sure how I'll pinpoint these injuries.

I hear ya.  Multiple little things piling up is often worse than one big thing.

I might be getting an MRI soon on both of my hips, which are sore sometimes, ever since I went from working on my feet to sitting back down at a desk 2 1/2 years ago.  PT helps, but the progress is minimal.  There are days where they the ache to where if I had to run to save my life, I'd be dead.  And then other days, they are fine.  Throw that in with the never-ending back issues, the stomach issue I have had recently and the apnea (which appears to have gotten better all on its own for no reason), and my 40s have been a little rough thus far.  :lol :lol :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #343 on: February 21, 2017, 08:41:14 AM »

My suggestion for playlist is take your tempo/pace into consideration. 13 miles is a long distance, so don't go out too quick. If your music right out the gates is something high tempo, you might screw yourself. I would go with something easy/chill, or even hold off on the music for the first 5k. Save the tempo music for the end when you'll need a push.

Yeah, I planned on one thrashy song to get me going at the start and then some more fast stuff  for the home stretch. In between will mostly be heavy but not particularly fast paced, but I definitely need tunes while I'm running.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: February 21, 2017, 09:20:14 AM »

Yeah, I planned on one thrashy song to get me going at the start and then some more fast stuff  for the home stretch. In between will mostly be heavy but not particularly fast paced, but I definitely need tunes while I'm running.

The song I use as the opener for all my races is 'In the Presence of Enemies'...just the first 'half' of that song. Starts of with a burst of power to get you going but also brings it back down to earth.....I highly recommend it as the 'opener'  :tup

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #345 on: February 21, 2017, 01:09:47 PM »

I want to lose 20 pounds or so. Is there any way I can do that by sitting around eating pasta, pizza and cookies with no exercise?

well yes, but you're not going to need much pasta, pizza and cookies.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: February 21, 2017, 03:12:04 PM »

yes.

Work out your maintenance calories (TDEE) than work out the amount of calories with these foods you want to eat but calculate and eat a few hundred calories under your maintenance. 

You can lose weight eating whatever you want done correctly, but you just won't be eating very much of then. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #347 on: February 21, 2017, 03:46:17 PM »
Haven't worked out in two weeks and already I am weaker. I got my deadlift up to 260 x 5 a few weeks ago, but now I can only get about 2 reps at 260. Weird how that works. So back on the bandwagon.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #348 on: February 21, 2017, 09:58:32 PM »

yes.

Work out your maintenance calories (TDEE) than work out the amount of calories with these foods you want to eat but calculate and eat a few hundred calories under your maintenance. 

You can lose weight eating whatever you want done correctly, but you just won't be eating very much of then.

I think you misunderstand. I want to eat a whole lot of pasta and pizza and cake and do literally no exercise at all. And I want that to help me lose 20 pounds within a week or so.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: February 23, 2017, 04:55:39 AM »

yes.

I think you misunderstand. I want to eat a whole lot of pasta and pizza and cake and do literally no exercise at all. And I want that to help me lose 20 pounds within a week or so.

Oh no, I got it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.