Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 188038 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Back on the bandwagon
« Reply #280 on: May 25, 2016, 12:21:43 AM »
Oh, and to prove once again that diet is what matters most when it comes to losing weight, I am down 15 lbs since January 1st, even though I have barely exercised since then.  I still eat whatever I want most of the time, but it's all a matter of portion sizes and not snacking in between meals and whatnot. Just a couple lbs away from being under 200 for the first time in over three years. :coolio

Good work mate.  Do you know how many calories you are hitting daily, and what your target deficit is?

Not really; I just know that I have drastically cut the number I take in per day.  I still treat myself to a pizza every couple weeks and some good BBQ once a week, but I am good most of the rest of the time.  And with the workouts starting again, I will bust out the whey and start doing protein shakes again.

That's cool mate whatever works for you keep it up.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: May 25, 2016, 12:27:59 AM »
I've been lifting and dieting for a while now and have really focused on my macros and caloric intake lately.  I'm pretty lean with my top two abs starting to show.  Getting rid of the bottom stubborn fat on the abdomen is very difficult.  This is what my diet is consisting of at the moment.  Max caloric intake through the week is 2000 calories.

1pm - Protein Shake
3pm - Huge garden Salad with 100g of shredded chicken
6:30pm - post workout Protein shake made with fat free milk
7:30pm - 350g - 450g of grilled chicken breast, 150g sweet potato and an abundance of green beans and any other greens I can find. Amount is determined how hungry and how hard I trained
9:30pm - 300g natural yoghurt, chia seeds and protein powder with some sugar free syrup or half a protein bar cut up sprinkled over the top

BCAA's, coffee and a sugar free energy drink through the morning and at least a gallon of water every day.

Weekends I eat one meal and a dessert from 6:00pm onwards maxing out at 2500 calories, but eating whatever I want within that amount of calories.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #282 on: May 25, 2016, 06:06:50 AM »

Already signed up for the On Ramp Squat workout Tuesday evening.  :coolio

We ended up doing On Ramp Press last night, since one of the other two people in the class last night had already done squats.

Press, push press & clean and jerks.  Feeling sore again today. :coolio

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #283 on: May 25, 2016, 08:50:44 AM »
we're in the middle of a strength cycle on push press, deadlift, and back squat.  doing the 5-3-1 plan.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #284 on: May 25, 2016, 08:55:57 AM »
I'm really looking forward to allergy season being over so I can get back to running (allergy induced asthma). I'm doing the elliptical indoors for now, and it's OK (and gives me extra time to catch up on TV), but nothing beats a good run while listening to something heavy.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #285 on: May 31, 2016, 07:25:30 PM »
Four crossfit workouts now and it hasn't killed me yet, although my legs are hating me right now after the On Ramp Squat workout I just did. :eek :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #286 on: May 31, 2016, 09:33:03 PM »
just wait until you try to sit on the toilet tomorrow.  You'll wish you had handicap rails in your bathroom. :lol
Winger would be better!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #287 on: May 31, 2016, 10:59:54 PM »
Got my bench up to 190lbs x 3 today. Feeling stronger than ever!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #288 on: June 01, 2016, 06:00:18 AM »
just wait until you try to sit on the toilet tomorrow.  You'll wish you had handicap rails in your bathroom. :lol

:lol

Honestly, as long as my back is fine, meaning I didn't hurt it with improper form, I can deal with majorly sore legs.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #289 on: June 01, 2016, 07:23:19 AM »

I remember the day after my first Insanity workout. Went to sit down for my morning constitutional and nearly fell over :lol :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: June 01, 2016, 07:16:06 PM »
Got my bench up to 190lbs x 3 today. Feeling stronger than ever!

That's pretty much where I am.  Solid 85kg for 3 reps.

Just worked it out, shit exactly the same haha, give or take a pound or two.  I've been up towards the 90kg mark, but form was lacking.  I'm making sure the motion is controlled and slow and lowering the bar pretty much down to the chest.  I'm cutting a lot of body fat and my caloric intake isn't that big, but I'm edging towards heavier weights, so I'm happy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #291 on: June 04, 2016, 10:30:26 AM »
Four crossfit workouts now and it hasn't killed me yet, although my legs are hating me right now after the On Ramp Squat workout I just did. :eek :lol

The On Ramp Deadlift Thursday night was quite taxing. I like the ring rows a lot.

Just finished the last On Ramp class, the Olympic lifting one.  Doing box jumps and wall balls was fun.

And I joined up to do three classes a week, so away we go. :tup :tup

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #292 on: June 04, 2016, 07:01:08 PM »
awesome stuff.

This morning we did 225 pound deadlifts and burpee-box-jumps in a rep scheme where it's 10 deadlifts and 1 burpee-box jump, then 9 and 2, 8 and 3, etc until you get to 1 deadlift and 10 burpee-box-jumps.  And after each mini-round of 11 reps we ran 200 meters.
Winger would be better!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #293 on: June 04, 2016, 07:35:11 PM »
Running is the part I am dreading about crossfit.  I see a lot of people from there doing runs on the nearby streets as part of their workouts, but a) I hate running, and b) I hate running on the street since it is horrible for your knees. I will likely just do the rowing machine every time they want us to run.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #294 on: June 04, 2016, 07:35:43 PM »
Registered for a marathon today, October 2nd. I've ran (1) Full a marathon back inn2010 (and literally dozens of half marathons) and told myself I'd run another one when I turned 40.

Well, I turned 40 in January and skipped out on the spring marathon schedules which left the fall schedule. I tried talking myself out of it because I've had some pretty good knee aches going on even with my light running schedule now (5 miles 3 or 4 times a week) and I'm fairly certain I have some plantar fasciitis in my left foot....it's not overly brutal at this point but the symptoms are definitely P.F.

But, I set that goal for myself a while ago and I'm not going to wimp out on it. Just gonna be smart training and not focus on a "time"'per say....more just a respectable finish.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #295 on: June 04, 2016, 09:56:06 PM »
Oof, plantar fasciitis sucks something awful.  Gary, go to Fleet Sports up across from St. Anthony's on 21 and get some inserts from shoes. They will make all the difference!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: June 05, 2016, 03:25:34 PM »
Oof, plantar fasciitis sucks something awful.  Gary, go to Fleet Sports up across from St. Anthony's on 21 and get some inserts from shoes. They will make all the difference!!

That's the plan. I get a sweet discount on New Balance shoes (best friends wife works for them) so I'm going to snag me a new pair of running shoes and grab a good insert.

Additionally, I'm only doing a 9 week training schedule starting on Aug. 1st... (the last week being really light). The one I ran in 2010 I did a 16 week training schedule and I was flat wore out by the time the race came around AND the I.T. Band in my left leg went crazy two weeks before the race which sucked big time and almost forced me to quit 15 miles in. With me already logging 15-20 miles a week for the past six years I don't think I need to really push it all that much....just focus on my long runs to build up endurance. 

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #297 on: September 02, 2016, 11:43:11 PM »
couple of PRs this week which is always nice

190 pound push press
390 pound deadlift

tried 400 lbs on the deadlift and actually got the plates a centimeter or two off the floor.
Winger would be better!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #298 on: September 03, 2016, 03:29:18 AM »
After about 18 months of inactivity, I'll start training in a gym tomorrow.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #299 on: September 03, 2016, 06:09:32 AM »
So yeah, I ended up not sticking with Crossfit.  It was rough on my back, and I don't need that at my age (42 then, 43 now).  At this point in my life, I am content with the occasional workout just to try and keep limber.  Quite a contrast for me, considering I worked out 3-5 times pretty much every week from 2002-2013.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: September 05, 2016, 08:47:28 AM »
One month to go until the Full Marathon. Around the 13 mile mark of my 15 mile training run on Saturday I was really questioning why the  :censored I signed up to run another full marathon. I've only ran (1) full marathon and that was in 2010 and I was 20lbs lighter and had WAY less running miles on my knees.

But...I reminded myself that this was a personal goal and challenge and this isn't about proving anything to anyone but myself....as this is and will be more of a mental battle than a physical challenge.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #301 on: September 30, 2016, 11:41:51 AM »
One month to go until the Full Marathon. Around the 13 mile mark of my 15 mile training run on Saturday I was really questioning why the  :censored I signed up to run another full marathon. I've only ran (1) full marathon and that was in 2010 and I was 20lbs lighter and had WAY less running miles on my knees.

But...I reminded myself that this was a personal goal and challenge and this isn't about proving anything to anyone but myself....as this is and will be more of a mental battle than a physical challenge.
You got it! I believe in you!

I got a bit stronger from last time. I've been doing "Starting Strength" and I've gained about 6 pounds.

stats:
  Height: 5'7
  Weight: 161lbs (from 155lbs)
  body fat: ~15-16%
  Bench - 195x5 (Higher than it's ever been.)
  Press - 115x5
  Pendlay Row - 85x5 (I just added these and I suck. I just don't understand how I am supposed to pull the weight with my back. When I add weight, I feel major tension in my hamstrings just to maintain balance. - I can do 15+ pullups with strict form, so I don't know if it's a muscle weakness, or a coordination issue, or what.)
  Squat - 200x5 (I had to go down when I realized I was 'cheating' with bad form.)
  Deadlift - 265x5 (Higher than it's ever been. I am realizing the trick is to just shoot up from the floor with maximum power.)

Eating about 3000 calories, gaining about 1lb per two weeks. My tentative goals: 165lbs, two-plate bench for reps, two-plate squat for reps.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #302 on: September 30, 2016, 11:52:22 AM »
I'd like to put on some more muscle and lose whatever fat I have on my stomach. I've bounced around with my weight over the last year and a half. I went from 205 (too high but I was drinking massive amounts of beer) down to 155 (heartbreak and stress) and now I'm around 170-175. If I can turn what little body fat I have into muscle, I'll be set. I just need to do it on a budget. I can pretty much cut out carbs, though pasta will be really fucking hard to stop eating. I eat a lot of chicken and vegetables so that's helpful. Now I'm hungry.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: September 30, 2016, 11:55:21 AM »

You got it! I believe in you!

Thanks!  :tup

Sunday is the day....weather is looking good....upper 60's low 70's....ready to get to it and get it done!!

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #304 on: September 30, 2016, 12:12:38 PM »
Good luck! I couldn't imagine doing that length this time of year. Brutal hear in FL.

I'm just coming back from bad hamstring injury. The miles are tough, but getting easier. My pace is improving without pain, which is the main focus right now. I need to do some speed work to really get it firing properly again.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #305 on: September 30, 2016, 01:24:15 PM »
Been making some progress with this lately as well. At my absolute worst last fall I was somewhere between 230 and 235, and for most of this year I have been mostly in the 220-225 range, occasionally breaking down into the high teens. Ever since my run of little summer excursions finished though I've been good about my exercise and as of last weekend I was down to 210 for the first time in a while. Next goal is to get back under 200.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: October 02, 2016, 02:54:14 PM »
DONE!!!   So glad to have knocked off the 'run another full marathon when I'm 40' from the bucket list. First 13.1 I felt great....finished that half in 2hrs 6 min. But around mile 16 my knees and right ankle decided to remind me that I'm 40 and have logged quite a few miles and they were barking hard. Final overall time was 4hrs 45 minutes.

Highlight was definitely having the kiddos and wife at the finish line!!

They even jumped in and ran the last little stretch with me

the signs they were holding... (my middle son in the red shirt is on a kick of making ridiculous faces when getting pictures taken)

And the medal. Really cool and heavy, it's some sort of metal and I dig the gold finish.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #307 on: October 03, 2016, 05:12:11 PM »
That's awesome, Gary. Nice job!! :tup :tup

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #308 on: October 04, 2016, 04:55:57 AM »
 :tup :tup
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #309 on: October 04, 2016, 05:30:49 AM »
Congratulations!  Good on ya, man.  Very impressive.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #310 on: January 09, 2017, 03:53:31 PM »
Just a quick heads up: DO NOT do crunches. It's not as bad as doing squats with improper form, but it's close. The minimal at best fitness benefits weighed against the potential damage makes it not worthy of your time or effort. If you guys are gonna put the work in, I wanna see you have some success. When it comes to the basic of abdominal workouts, functional sit-ups and planks/side planks are great. Those things are always great, just get more complex and are part of a longer list of exercises as you get more fit. Push-ups are terrific for your entire shoulder complex, and so are Pullups. That covers your chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps, lats, and multiple back muscles.

Can you explain what a functional sit up is?  When I do sit ups I use a work out bench on decline and maybe hold weights on my chest.  Is this bad for me?  Been awhile since I did these  :lol

A functional sit-up would be on the ground, lying flat on your back, legs out. Sit-up and touch your toes, but as you do, reach up, don't lunge down your legs with your hands. The idea is that there's nobody there to hold your feet. Crossing your legs would make it more difficult, as you have less counter balance. Decline bench sit-ups are great, especially with weight. But NOT if you've been out of core work for a while.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: January 09, 2017, 04:48:30 PM »
Just a quick heads up: DO NOT do crunches. It's not as bad as doing squats with improper form, but it's close. The minimal at best fitness benefits weighed against the potential damage makes it not worthy of your time or effort. If you guys are gonna put the work in, I wanna see you have some success. When it comes to the basic of abdominal workouts, functional sit-ups and planks/side planks are great. Those things are always great, just get more complex and are part of a longer list of exercises as you get more fit. Push-ups are terrific for your entire shoulder complex, and so are Pullups. That covers your chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps, lats, and multiple back muscles.

Can you explain what a functional sit up is?  When I do sit ups I use a work out bench on decline and maybe hold weights on my chest.  Is this bad for me?  Been awhile since I did these  :lol

A functional sit-up would be on the ground, lying flat on your back, legs out. Sit-up and touch your toes, but as you do, reach up, don't lunge down your legs with your hands. The idea is that there's nobody there to hold your feet. Crossing your legs would make it more difficult, as you have less counter balance. Decline bench sit-ups are great, especially with weight. But NOT if you've been out of core work for a while.

Cool thanks, yea I haven't worked out much at all lately so I wouldn't be adding weights to start, but that's what I would do in the past over time.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #312 on: January 09, 2017, 07:18:37 PM »
Does everyone have some strong goals for 2017? I just finished about 8 weeks of PT on my left hip complex, and I finally feel like I'm getting healthy for the first time in a while, instead of just finding a healthy patch between injuries. Enough so that I finally could justify getting a GPS watch for running. I've got 2 months until the GATE River Run 15k, so I'm gonna try and get there, but not gonna push too hard with what I'm coming out of. And I'm also happy to be getting back into core/leg work. I need to get back to my normal.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: January 10, 2017, 06:52:49 AM »
I definitely want to lose 20 lbs.  That was last year's goal and I was down about 15 and then I stopped.  Work and personal travel took a toll on me and I slowly put the weight back on.  So I am not going hardcore, but starting slowly to eat better and get back on my exercise bike after work.  I'd like to take the next 6 months and work on myself.  In the past I would go hardcore with the diet and workout and it would work, but I am just looking to slowly and progressively do it this time.  I don't have any personal plans the next 6 months to knock me off my habits and then by summer hopefully I am in better shape to hit up the beach or something.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: January 10, 2017, 07:47:48 AM »
Does everyone have some strong goals for 2017?

Just to maintain my exercise routine. I began running back in 2007 and have made it a part of my life now. I probably average 20 miles a week (with some weeks having more than others) but at minimum I run 10 miles a week. I like to do at least one 'official' run a year which is typically a spring trail run at a local state park....called the Quiver River Quivering Quads. It's a Half Marathon through heavily forested hills, it's no joke as there is not one stretch of 'flat' running...you're either running up or down forested terrain. It's brutal yet very beautiful and rewarding. I have that run this March 5th.

I've found that the running I do has become less about 'exercise' and more about my mental health. It's just a nice escape from it all. I notice that if its been a day or two since my last run I start to get a bit cranky, it's really weird and then when I run it soothes it all.

But I have also noticed that 'time' and the 'violent' nature of running isn't being too kind to my ankles and knees. I turn 41 this month and the aches and pains seem to take a bit longer to subside and come back at a quicker clip than they used to. At the moment I'm (2) weeks away from finishing INSANITY (started at Thanksgiving to ward off holiday weight gain...have dropped 18lbs) and my right ankle is probably in the worst shape it's been in quite some time. It's just a steady constant 'throbbing' and it's not unbearable pain by any means but it's just constant. I had a very severe sprain in that ankle in high school when playing baseball...all the deep blue, black and purple colors were represented....and ever since periodically over my life my ankle would just 'hurt' from time to time. Seems to be more persistent these days. But hey...it could be way worse....