Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 188023 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Back on the bandwagon
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2015, 11:05:32 PM »
Death By Pull Ups tonight

one pull up the first minute, two pull ups during the second minute, etc.  Made it through 17 rounds.  153 total pull ups.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2015, 04:42:47 AM »

one pull up the first minute, two pull ups during the second minute, etc.  Made it through 17 rounds.  153 total pull ups.

Mother of god.  I'd be lucky to make it to 2 minutes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2015, 08:11:32 AM »

Mother of god. I'd be lucky to make it to 2 minutes.

Yeah....my strong suite is not upper body anything. Cardio stamina I have tons of......anything upper body is a challenge for me.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2015, 08:36:12 AM »
When I was doing P90x routines, I could do 8-10 pullups period.  P90x is great - gonna do a cycle Oct-Jan.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2015, 04:00:19 PM »
does anyone do planks?

I've been working on them the last few months, always a tough thing to do

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2015, 04:44:29 PM »
does anyone do planks?

I've been working on them the last few months, always a tough thing to do

Yeah, I work them in to my workouts occasionally at the moment; more heavily when I was lifting.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: August 14, 2015, 04:46:20 PM »
Never do planks.  Pull ups on the other hand are a magic exercise.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #147 on: August 14, 2015, 09:39:17 PM »
Never do planks.  Pull ups on the other hand are a magic exercise.

I'm feeling the magic today, let me tell ya
Winger would be better!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: August 16, 2015, 03:54:02 AM »
That' what it's all about haha.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: August 16, 2015, 05:48:10 AM »
Not a good weigh-in this week - +2lbs.  Possibly due to jingle.kids birthday, and cake/chocolate.  Only did it on their birthday though, so I thought on 'cheat' day would be ok.  Might've slacked a little on water consumption too.  Gotta get real disciplined on tracking my calorie intake - I've been slacking in that department, thinking that I've been in the right range, but clearly something is off.

Travel/conference this week isn't going to help things much.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: August 16, 2015, 06:24:18 PM »
Not a good weigh-in this week - +2lbs.  Possibly due to jingle.kids birthday, and cake/chocolate.  Only did it on their birthday though, so I thought on 'cheat' day would be ok.  Might've slacked a little on water consumption too.  Gotta get real disciplined on tracking my calorie intake - I've been slacking in that department, thinking that I've been in the right range, but clearly something is off.

Travel/conference this week isn't going to help things much.

Bro, I know, it's so hard.  You really can't slip up with anything.  It seems one little thing out of routine just goes straight on, had that experience myself over the weekend.  Cheat days can be very dangerous.  I did have McD's last night though and am paying the price at the moment.  Feel like shit now.  Gonna only have 2 small meals today to counteract it.  I'm on a week off from work now though which makes it more difficult also.

Maybe if you are travelling, you can try and do a bit of IF to help.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: August 16, 2015, 08:13:10 PM »
I need to allow myself a pizza once a week or two.....thats my go to "cheat" meal I guess.  I really never want McD's or Burger King again.....just feel sick after that stuff.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: August 16, 2015, 09:18:57 PM »
I really never want McD's or Burger King again.....just feel sick after that stuff.

It's funny, I know what it does to me, but when I need a cheat, I find myself going back there again and again.

Not really a big pizza guy anymore either.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: August 17, 2015, 05:56:41 AM »
So I guess I am not the only one who cheated this week.  I did so well M-F last week and not so bad Saturday, but yesterday was the only day I did not work out at all and I ate poorly, and had a couple drinks in the evening... oh well.  Not going to kill me or anything, just wishing I did not eat those Cheez its last night lol.  Going to be pretty hardcore today because I may not get to work out tomorrow night since I have a date after work  :biggrin: and then I will keep it good until Saturday where I will cheat again since I have a wedding in Atlantic City.

That's been my only problem with my dieting, I have had a couple weddings in the time frame, birthday bbqs, free meals at work, 4 concerts.... its hard NOT to cheat at these events.  At the end of the day, I've lost and am still losing weight so all is good, just difficult to manage when you are around food and drink and good people.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: August 17, 2015, 06:08:28 AM »
So I guess I am not the only one who cheated this week.  I did so well M-F last week and not so bad Saturday, but yesterday was the only day I did not work out at all and I ate poorly, and had a couple drinks in the evening... oh well.  Not going to kill me or anything, just wishing I did not eat those Cheez its last night lol.  Going to be pretty hardcore today because I may not get to work out tomorrow night since I have a date after work  :biggrin: and then I will keep it good until Saturday where I will cheat again since I have a wedding in Atlantic City.

That's been my only problem with my dieting, I have had a couple weddings in the time frame, birthday bbqs, free meals at work, 4 concerts.... its hard NOT to cheat at these events.  At the end of the day, I've lost and am still losing weight so all is good, just difficult to manage when you are around food and drink and good people.

Try and be careful with this too.  Tempting food is never too far behind on social occasions.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: August 17, 2015, 06:12:18 AM »

Try and be careful with this too.  Tempting food is never too far behind on social occasions.

I think not eating on a date is easy since I dont want to come off as a pig, more worried about drinking more than one beer to help with he nerves of a date.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: August 17, 2015, 06:48:17 AM »
 :lol  Fair enough mate.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: August 17, 2015, 09:51:17 PM »
So I re-weighed myself this morning, and was back at 209... Flat over last week.  Must've been retaining water on Sunday morning or something. Here in Arizona, and I'm gonna do my deck-of-cards workout outside tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: August 17, 2015, 10:02:00 PM »
and I'm gonna do my deck-of-cards workout outside tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!

What's that?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #159 on: August 17, 2015, 10:17:36 PM »
typically you pick four exercises and assign each one to a suit.  Whatever card you pick determines the exercise and the number of reps.
Winger would be better!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: August 17, 2015, 10:20:30 PM »
King =

Jack =

and so on.........
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: August 17, 2015, 10:26:43 PM »
What Hath said, not Brent.
For me, one routine is sit-ups, push-ups, burpees, and jumping-jack squats.  Nothing too outrageous, but in 39' C temperature, it oughta do the trick. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2015, 06:12:44 AM »
OK then .......I'll Aussiefy it for you :lol

Jack = +

King = time for some spelling lessons.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2015, 06:14:22 AM »
Heres the last deck-o-cards workout I setup for clients:
30 mins, as many cards as possible. Reps match the number on the card. "Heavy" for 1-5, "Light" for 6-10.
Hearts- Wall Balls 20/12 lbs
Diamonds- Rower calories x2
Spades- TRX Pushup Lo/Hi
Clubs- KB Swing 30/25 lbs
Red Face- Sit-ups 15
Black Face- Planks 30s
Ace- Burpees 10

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: August 18, 2015, 06:16:32 AM »
OK then .......I'll Aussiefy it for you :lol

Jack = +

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: August 18, 2015, 06:21:37 AM »
30 mins, as many cards as possible. Reps match the number on the card. "Heavy" for 1-5, "Light" for 6-10.
Spades- TRX Pushup Lo/Hi
Red Face- Sit-ups 15
Black Face- Planks 30s
Ace- Burpees 10

Never heard of this before, now 2 of you guys have brought it up.  Interesting idea though.  If I had a client I'd make a joker or something a whole fucking circuit of everything just to be an ass and place a few extra in there haha.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #167 on: August 18, 2015, 08:47:36 AM »
Spades- TRX Pushup Lo/Hi
Red Face- Sit-ups 15
Black Face- Planks 30s
Ace- Burpees 10

Never heard of this before, now 2 of you guys have brought it up.  Interesting idea though.  If I had a client I'd make a joker or something a whole fucking circuit of everything just to be an ass and place a few extra in there haha.

I had one client pull all the Aces and like 10 face cards. That's just bad luck ;). Structure and periodization are good, but every once in a while you have to just do work, son.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: August 18, 2015, 10:23:29 PM »
I quite like that concept.

Just finished my meal and now about to head off to train.  Focusing on total upper and lower body days at the moment.  Mon, Wed, Fri upper and Tues and Thur lower.  Been focusing on the usual Mon-chest, Tue-Back etc. routine for so long now, I need to hit body parts 2-3 times a week, with focus more on compounds.  I think I'm missing so much opportunity especially in my legs, which are so weak for my size.

Offline Cable

« Reply #169 on: August 19, 2015, 09:00:25 PM »
Alrighty, my status.

CableX
Start Weight: 275 max.
Current Weight: 259 to 266 - my digital scale is apparently terrible. Too hard to do the balancing scale at the gym solo.
Goal Weight 1: 239
Goal Time: January 31st, 2016
Goal Weight 2: 219
Goal Time: July 1st, 2016

My goals are spaced apart to maintain big picture, obtainable goals with conservatively reasonable expectations. My eating is still a slow challenge, but one that is better than it used to be. I am 33, and 6'0 tall. No major health concerns or conditions. I cannot power walk/jog without pain, due to ankle conditions. This will be addressed soon, but does not impact workouts as explained in next paragraph. Mental health wise mild mood swings bomb focus at times. These are times I indulge in at least caffeine, and then often food from said caffeine joint. The food used to be about a 95% certainty, now it might be 50-60%.

I started working out at a gym in the middle of July I think, which solves my ankle dilemma. After initial advice from the employee who signed me up, and the hoodwink free "assessment" trainers, I have incorporated weight training. I am trying to do the _____ day thing, but run out of weight machines. But I am trying to do a legs, arms, and core deal rotation. Cardio is every time.

I was 8 days straight off the wagon, and felt my mood plummet afterward. Factoring in that time period, I'm averaging at least 4 days a week since starting. Minus that week, probably a solid 6 day a week average. I get about a full hour in, ensuring I'm cardio'ing at least 30 minutes. I started doing the sauna afterwards when I don't go in the morning- really trying to do that instead of after work.

As an addition, I faux rock climb for about 1-2 every week. Overall, I am pleased with my results physically and mentally.
---

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: August 19, 2015, 09:14:12 PM »
Keep it up bro.  The food is definitely the hardest, be strict but don't beat yourself up too much, as long as you can see you are making progress and are able to make yourself accountable, you'll do good.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: August 20, 2015, 02:01:37 AM »
keep it up!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: August 20, 2015, 06:10:40 AM »
I also have ankle issues.  Been dealing with tendinitis for the last two years and one of the reasons I wanted to lose weight since I figured less pressure on my feet would lead to less pain (and actually since I started, there has been NO pain at all in my feet).  I use an exercise bike and no running/walking to keep the pressure off of my ankles.  It seems to be working.

Offline Cable

« Reply #173 on: August 20, 2015, 09:49:39 PM »
Thanks all!  ;D

I also have ankle issues.  Been dealing with tendinitis for the last two years and one of the reasons I wanted to lose weight since I figured less pressure on my feet would lead to less pain (and actually since I started, there has been NO pain at all in my feet).  I use an exercise bike and no running/walking to keep the pressure off of my ankles.  It seems to be working.

I was told mine was due to the way my feet plant. Long story, but the only way to really correct it is custom shoe inserts I guess. So I'm highly prone to ankle twists. I don't think mine are tendonitis caused, but my ligaments are probably destroyed.
Having pain after any jumping or jogging was really discouraging, so I reckon we can sympathize. 

I cannot vouch for the same results yet, but at least the ellipse riders and weights don't destroy them. My pain is minimal at best, and that is usually only after a weird stride or something on a machine. I prefer the ellipse to bikes for some reason. Does anyone know if ellipse machines are as effective at burning weight as running and biking are? My heart rate is high enough on the ellipse, but I feel cheated because the distance is very short in comparison.
---

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #174 on: August 20, 2015, 09:58:56 PM »
Sadly, my goal of exercising regularly and losing weight has been derailed.  Since working sitting down again, I've had fairly constant neck and upper back soreness, and I have now reached the point to where any exercise results in quite a lot of pain for days.  My posture when I sit at work is a big part of it, which I have tried to rectify lately, but the soreness continues (and the occasional migraine, too). I am actually in search of a new M.D. and might get an MRI to see if I have a pinched nerve or something that needs more than just rest or better posture.  It sucks, but it is what it is.  And unfortunately, I am one of those people that just cannot make myself eat right if I am not exercising regularly, so I guess I will be stuck in the 205-210 range until I get whatever this is fixed and/or feeling better.  It's no fun getting old. :lol