Poll

Would You Take $1 Million Dollars in Hand Right Now or Flip a Coin for $10 Million?

$1 Million In Hand Now
47 (95.9%)
Flip a Coin....win and you get $10 Million....Lose you get nothing
2 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: $1 Million vs $10 Million  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: $1 Million vs $10 Million
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2023, 01:50:11 PM »
If I had to choose, I'm leaning towards the coinflip for 10 million. I get it, a guaranteed million sounds nice and safe. However the expected value of that coinflip is 5 million, and I'm all for taking a chance at something bigger of it's statistically the best choice. With the way retirement costs are skyrocketing, a million might not even cut it these days (although it would definitely help).

Yea, unless you're in your late 60's or older, and live somewhere cheap, you won't be able to retire on a million these days.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2023, 01:55:31 PM »
Not sure why retirement should be the endgame. Living a much easier life until retirement, if that's even in the cards, is the way I'd approach it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2023, 02:20:35 PM »
Not sure why retirement should be the endgame. Living a much easier life until retirement, if that's even in the cards, is the way I'd approach it.

For sure.

Except, I live in NYC. So even though I'd take the cool mill, it'll only buy me a few years of comfort.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2023, 02:29:09 PM »
That's why I'd flip, a mill is nice but not life changing. Don't live in NYC but in a different expensive place, a million dollars isn't enough to buy a significantly better/nicer place to live.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2023, 04:53:28 PM »
If I had to choose, I'm leaning towards the coinflip for 10 million. I get it, a guaranteed million sounds nice and safe. However the expected value of that coinflip is 5 million, and I'm all for taking a chance at something bigger of it's statistically the best choice. With the way retirement costs are skyrocketing, a million might not even cut it these days (although it would definitely help).

Yea, unless you're in your late 60's or older, and live somewhere cheap, you won't be able to retire on a million these days.

While true, I’d hope all of us already have a retirement plan in place and the million dollars would just be added on.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2023, 08:40:48 PM »

I'm glad people are factoring in their retirement. I feel like some of my peers are still considering in a secondary or tertiary factor in their financial planning.

I am not earning $1M for the rest of my working years, so the math for me is simple. And to El Barto's point, I already have a solid retirement plan. $1M gives me 1) the ability to never have to work again 2) some immediate fun money, and 3) a chance to bolster my retirement accounts.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2023, 11:06:11 PM »
Oh and buy some kind of exotic animal, Cage-style.

"Hi everyone....thanks for coming over! It's been so long since we've hung out....here...come here real quick....you have to see my Porpoise, he's got the cutest blow hole"

You get it  :heart
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2023, 05:20:58 AM »
Oh and buy some kind of exotic animal, Cage-style.

"Hi everyone....thanks for coming over! It's been so long since we've hung out....here...come here real quick....you have to see my Porpoise, he's got the cutest blow hole"

You get it  :heart

Opulence, I has it.
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2023, 03:24:22 AM »
Oh man, how much of my million would a palm-sized giraffe cost?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2023, 06:04:46 AM »
I'm not sure. Ask this guy.
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2023, 08:03:27 AM »
 :lol
Thanks for the trip down memory lane
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2023, 10:20:52 AM »
I don't know if $1M will do it, but I'm not an extravagant guy; I fantasize about winning a billion dollars in the lottery and I'm thinking "Hey, I can get new rims and tires for my '90 Jeep!"  Dammit, I can BUY Jeep. Not A Jeep, but JEEP.  :)

But the one thing I do want to do?  Get a name band that I like to play my back yard.   Cheap Trick is always the first choice, because I believe they would take that in the spirit it's intended and find it fun.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2023, 09:54:16 AM »
One million is, in the end... a lot. It might not seem depending on what you do or what you want to achieve with a lot of money suddenly in the can, but I divided 1 million for my salary and I obtained, lol..... 666, the number of the beast.

It means it would  take 666 months for me to earn 1 million, which means 55 years. I don't plan to live for another 55 years being in my 40's, so with one million I guess I could retire.

Now, if I would want to live lavishly probably it wouldn't be enough, I'd have to calculate how many working years I have left, how much of one million it would take in salaries, and figure out how much remains.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2023, 10:27:30 AM »
Sometimes, in games like poker, many coin flip-like scenarios (50% of winning or losing) can really be a difference between a player walking out of the building with zero or $1M or $10M.  That's to say, would I take that chance if it results in me getting zero?  Well... if we are playing tournament poker, it depends on many factors.  If it's just a pure coin flip, I'm just going to take the million. 

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2023, 10:33:45 AM »
I'm gonna assume you'd be kind enough to change this to pounds for the UK audience. In which case... I'm going with the million now. Please.

In dollars, though? Hmm. That's £791k today. Yeah, I'd probably still take that. It'd still be life changing, for sure.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2023, 01:03:45 PM »
I'll take 1 million Kuwaiti dinar.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2023, 07:14:16 AM »
If the situation were you get $1 million free and clear or you can coin flip between $100k or $10 million would that change anyone's answer? Somehow still getting something out of the coin flip if you lose makes it more appealing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2023, 08:17:22 AM »
If the situation were you get $1 million free and clear or you can coin flip between $100k or $10 million would that change anyone's answer? Somehow still getting something out of the coin flip if you lose makes it more appealing.

I would totally flip a coin in that case.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2023, 09:55:34 AM »
I flipped the coin, and lost...

Don't be like me, fellow Dream Theater fans  :)
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2024, 04:11:12 AM »
Same question, modified.

Take half a million no questions asked or....

Roll a 6 sided dice.  Roll a  1 - 5 to win 10 million. However if you roll a 6 and win nothing and also lose your sight.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 04:19:49 AM by soupytwist »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2024, 05:50:27 AM »
Rolling the die in that situation. Why not?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2024, 08:08:06 AM »
Even less of question to me. Half mil, undoubtedly. No way I'm risking a 17% of blindness for any amount of money.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2024, 08:39:02 AM »
Yeah, the 500k is still permanently life-changing for me and there's no chance of losing my sight. Easy decision.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2024, 01:33:55 PM »
Same question, modified.

Roll a 6 sided dice.  Roll a  1 - 5 to win 10 million. However if you roll a 6 and win nothing and also lose your sight.

WTF?  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2024, 06:10:12 PM »

This is how I was looking at it too. Paying off my house would leave 80% of that $1 million left over + the monthly house payment. I'd never have to voluntarily work overtime again.

Rolling the die in that situation. Why not?

If I were already blind, then sure.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2024, 10:40:45 PM »
Same question, modified.

WTF?  :lol

Lol yeah, as somebody who is already pretty blind without glasses I think I'll take the money and not risk losing that shit completely.