Author Topic: 2023 NCAA College Football-Hail to the Victors!!!  (Read 7398 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: 2023 NCAA College Football-and then there were two: Mich-Wash
« Reply #315 on: January 09, 2024, 09:06:16 AM »
Seems to me that Penix was injured because of how good that Michigan D was. My point, if he was healthy, he might have gotten hurt again in another game because Michigan's defense is so damn good. They played to limit him and succeeded. Also that Michigan running game is really strong. They are a smash mouth football team and showed it.

I like how PSU played Michigan tougher  :biggrin: but seriously, the coolest part of them winning is that I got to see them play in person this year. As much as I hate them and I do believe what they did was cheating, they did have a really good team that in some way, I was a part of this season.

And with that I will share my YouTube short of yelling at them and causing them to use a time out this season  :lol https://youtube.com/shorts/aZ9fjk9-nkQ?si=30P-D-shNakeMFaZ

Definitely not trying to take anything away from the UM defense, they were amazing.

Can't wait to see the rematch in Washington next October

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: 2023 NCAA College Football-and then there were two: Mich-Wash
« Reply #316 on: January 09, 2024, 09:25:05 AM »
Can't wait to see the rematch in Washington next October
Indeed.

Also, here's to the end of the 4-team playoff.  It never should have existed, and now it never will again (hopefully).

Bring on the 12-team playoff.  Not perfect, perhaps, but better than 4.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2023 NCAA College Football-Hail to the Victors!!!
« Reply #317 on: January 09, 2024, 09:30:13 AM »
The rematch in theory is great, but these teams will be so different next year.  I doubt Harbough is around, lots of rumors of him already having contacts to move to the NFL.  I expect we'll hear something soon.  BUt also Michigan had a lot of 5th year players.  Washington loses Penix, not sure who else, but Im thinking some of those big receivers.  I expect both teams will take a step back next year, but who knows how far.  Too many changes next year.  I'd honestly be shocked if any of the Pac12 teams make a run in the BIg 10.  I say that, because historically, the teams coming into the Big 10 struggle. Oregon might have the best shot to change that.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #318 on: January 09, 2024, 10:20:15 AM »
Harbaugh is definitely gone, especially considering there's a legitimate chance the ban hammer will fall on the UM program. My dad suggested the Raiders.... A perfect fit I think  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #319 on: January 10, 2024, 03:32:41 PM »
Reports that Nick Saban is retiring.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #320 on: January 10, 2024, 04:42:59 PM »
Wonder if he'll fully retire or try the NFL again.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: January 10, 2024, 05:21:45 PM »
Reports that Nick Saban is retiring.

Great news for everyone besides Bama lol if he's truly done, he had an incredible career

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #322 on: January 10, 2024, 08:24:31 PM »
At least Saban can say he had a better pro career than Urban Shitbag Meyer

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #323 on: January 11, 2024, 06:31:18 AM »
I would be shocked if he went to the NFL.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: January 11, 2024, 08:32:14 AM »

He's up there in age, although he looks great, so I got to think if he's retiring, it's legit. 

I kind of think the changes to the NCAA are also a reason.  He's getting too old to play the money game with NIL now.  It's really changing the recruiting game quite a bit.  Add in a 12 team playoff and winning NCs is all of the sudden significantly harder.  I'm not saying he's stepping away from a challenge, I'm just thinking he's old and probably doesn't want to adjust at this point in his career.  Might as well go out as one of the best coaches ever before the game changes.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #325 on: January 11, 2024, 08:35:46 AM »

He's up there in age, although he looks great, so I got to think if he's retiring, it's legit. 

I kind of think the changes to the NCAA are also a reason.  He's getting too old to play the money game with NIL now.  It's really changing the recruiting game quite a bit.  Add in a 12 team playoff and winning NCs is all of the sudden significantly harder.  I'm not saying he's stepping away from a challenge, I'm just thinking he's old and probably doesn't want to adjust at this point in his career.  Might as well go out as one of the best coaches ever before the game changes.
I'm sure all of those are factors, along with the transfer portal, and what I feel is the most likely answer: his wife is ready for him to retire so they can move down to their new Florida home full time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: January 11, 2024, 08:47:28 AM »

I'm sure all of those are factors, along with the transfer portal, and what I feel is the most likely answer: his wife is ready for him to retire so they can move down to their new Florida home full time.

Some of the best players are asking for millions of dollars from the transfer portal.  It's insane how much that's changing the game.  I believe it was Marvin Harrison Jr that recently stated he was getting offers better than NFL first round draft money to transfer to a different school.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: January 12, 2024, 07:43:08 PM »
So 4 days after the national championship* game, the winning coach is likely moving on, and the losing coach took a new job that was vacated by the coach of a team who lost in the semis, and is considered by many as the greatest coach in college football history.

Seattle is gripping right now by the loss of DeBoer. We were on to something big here, and it feels like the rug was ripped right out from under our feet. 

* For the love of God can everyone quit calling it the "Natty?"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'