Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 187971 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!
« on: July 21, 2015, 11:33:28 AM »
Well, searching for any threads with "Fitness" in the title brings up nuthin.  So, time to start anew... which is also exactly what I'm doing.  Let myself go - for a variety of reasons.  But, I'm back at it as of last week... just with getting on the bike 4-5 times a week, and some light anaerobic activity.  Gotta get back to my goal weight of mid 180s - 30 lbs to go.

Roll call gentlemen... to quote JLB on stage - "Are you with us?"

Chino:
Starting Weight: 278.2
Goal Weight: 199.9 (git yo ass under 200!)
Goal Time: April 1, 2016
Progress:  ??

gmillerdrake:
Starting Weight: 179
Goal Weight: 165
Goal Time: January 26th, 2016
Progress: 179.3# (07/26)

nightmare_cinema
Starting Weight: 144
Goal Weight: 138
Goal Time: ??
Progress: ??

jingle boy:
Starting Weight: 214
Goal Weight: 199 (first goal is to get my ass under 200!)
Goal Time: Sept 30, 2015
Progress: 209.0#/24.9% (08/09)

JayOctavarium:
Current Weight: 235
Goal Weight 1:  215
Goal Time: January 1st, 2016
Goal Weight 2: 199.9
Goal Time: April 29th, 2016
Progress: 232 (07/29)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 10:05:31 AM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Back on the bandwagon
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 11:49:42 AM »
I'm with you.

I used to weigh 285 pounds and got down to 207 the morning of my balcony accident. Medical complications and a case of sciatica kept me out of the gym for the next year. I never got back with it. I'm hovering around 275 right now. I built a gym in the finished part of my basement when I bought my house, but I've only used it twenty times or so(yesterday included). I've got a recumbant bike too that I was straddling while taking this pic.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 12:12:28 PM »
I'm down. At my best shape....two years ago or so, I was weighing in around 160-165....and running 20-25 miles a week. Yada yada yada....build a house, spend 6 months in my in laws basement blah blah blah....these days I'm weighing in 177-180 and running maybe 10 miles a week.

My initial weight loss eight years ago I dropped from 220 to 160 with a butt ton of work and diet. I need to ramp it up again and drop this 15 pounds. My wife and I actually started a cleanse and a diet yesterday....I weighed in at 179. Target weight of 165 by January 26th, 2016....my 40th Birthday.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 12:25:48 PM »
Cool. I'll get an official weight in tonight.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 12:27:02 PM »
Going to try and get back into it soon  :-[  I was in the best shape in 15 years when I double fractured my leg in May 2014 - since then it's been all about recovering physically and financially etc....exercise (other than rehab) has taken a back seat.........and my ass has been on that seat semi-permanently  ;D

Having said that at 6'1" and (a not hugely overweight) 210 lbs I think it's doable in the space of 6 months if I can get my shit together.  I have my issues with training ............I am a gym junkie and ex semi-elite power athlete but have always been injury prone due to scoliosis and the instability that creates. Having said that all the gym work I have done over my life has created some "muscle memory" and I tend to respond quickly to training if I can keep it going.

Early in 2014 I had put together 8 months without injury for the first time in a decade or more ,mostly due to special variations on exercises that I had designed (all able to be done in my home gym) , so the building blocks are there for me once I regain some more general health (and sleep).

I think I am with you Chad  :lol   I can't say that I want to lose a whole lot of weight - I am at about my perfect weight (when muscular) so it's more about changing body composition.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 12:34:28 PM »
I'm with you, Chad.  At the beginning of April, I was the heaviest I have ever been at 231 and in the worst shape I have been.  As of last night, I was at 198.  And still counting.  My goal was, loosely, "If I can get under 200, that's fine.  If I can get down close to 190, great!"  I now want to get under 190 and get stronger.  I am well on my way.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 12:45:44 PM »
At this point for me....I know I'm in fairly good shape, carry a good resting heart rate....can still run 5 miles (on a trail) in 45-50 minutes....but I'm 5'-6" and any "extra" weight is noticeable and difficult to hide. I've noticed the weight I've put on, especially around my face/neck and it bums me out. I shouldn't really 'care' but I find that I do so I need to crank it up and drop this weight.

As I mentioned....when we moved in my in laws while our house was being built I packed on 15 pounds in 6 months because my exercise routine was destroyed AND my friggin' mother in law is the worlds greatest cook who I swear was trying to kill me. Fresh baked Banana Nut Bread daily...every meal looked like Thanksgiving plus we were there over the Holidays (Thanksgiving/Christmas) so home made Cookies were around every corner. Not to mention the candy and Ice Cream she keeps in stock for the grand kids. It was just too much to ignore and I lost all control. I've never recovered actually and have found myself eating larger portions and more sweets than I had the previous three/four years.

Gotta flip the switch back to 'ON' and get it done. Should we think up some type of 'prize' or reward or something for those who accomplish their target? Or, is it good enough just to get it done?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 01:14:40 PM »
A few months ago, I got back into going to the gym. I started with just cardio shit. I'd just wander over there once in a while.. Sometimes once a week, sometimes once every other week, sometimes every day for 4 days straight.

NOW... I have a buddy who goes and does it all... weights, cardio, etc. He goes like every other day. I join him at least twice a week, if not more if our schedules allow for it. It feels good. I am currently at 235 (ish), and would like to drop down to 200 before the end of the year, if not, then by my 25th birthday in April.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 02:08:51 PM »
Timely thread! I just started the NHS couch to 5k programme yesterday, it's a plan to get you from zero fitness to running 5k in nine weeks. I used to love treadmill at the gym but stopped going about xmas time as I was getting shin pain, and am now incredibly unfit. Partly because I'm asthmatic, but I used to smoke too which made the asthma really bad. I don't really smoke much now (a cig or two every month or two, none since the end of May at the moment and before that I think was one in April) so it's time to get back into shape (you can't be fit, asthmatic AND a smoker :P).

Turns out running outside is wayyyyy harder than running in the gym, but I went for my first session last night just around the block, it was a five min warm up brisk walk, then intervals of 90 mins walking, 60 seconds running for twenty minutes, and a warm down for five minutes. I went for a jog the night before and was knackered within ten minutes from trying to just jog nonstop so I think this intervals stuff is really gonna work for me. I managed the workout fine, I was exhausted and sweaty but completed it so I reckon it's pitched just right for me to start.

Here's hoping I keep it up! I certainly plan to. Next session tomorrow night.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 02:11:19 PM »
Timely thread! I just started the NHS couch to 5k programme yesterday, it's a plan to get you from zero fitness to running 5k in nine weeks. I used to love treadmill at the gym but stopped going about xmas time as I was getting shin pain, and am now incredibly unfit. Partly because I'm asthmatic, but I used to smoke too which made the asthma really bad. I don't really smoke much now (a cig or two every month or two, none since the end of May at the moment and before that I think was one in April) so it's time to get back into shape (you can't be fit, asthmatic AND a smoker :P).

Turns out running outside is wayyyyy harder than running in the gym, but I went for my first session last night just around the block, it was a five min warm up brisk walk, then intervals of 90 mins walking, 60 seconds running for twenty minutes, and a warm down for five minutes. I went for a jog the night before and was knackered within ten minutes from trying to just jog nonstop so I think this intervals stuff is really gonna work for me. I managed the workout fine, I was exhausted and sweaty but completed it so I reckon it's pitched just right for me to start.

Here's hoping I keep it up! I certainly plan to. Next session tomorrow night.

My wife and the neighborhood wives all did this program....she really liked the interval training as well. They all stuck to it and accomplished the 5k so good luck!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 04:09:34 PM »
I'd down for this.  In fact, I told myself that I was going to do this after vacation (because it is impossible to eat well on family vacations :lol). 

The pisser for me is that I pulled a muscle in my trap a while back, which has never fully healed, so whenever I do even light lifting, it is sore the rest of the day.  I was in the 185-195 range for a long time, but am around 210 now (5'11"), and the thing is, I eat the same way I always have, but getting older and not being able to exercise as much takes its toll.  So yeah, I am pretty aggravated.  Time to get moving again. :tup :tup

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 05:34:41 PM »
Nice exercise room Chino!  I go to the Y Monday thru Thursday at 5 a.m.  I normally spin hard for about 35 minutes, spend 10 minutes on weights and hit the steam room for 10 minutes.  I take Friday off and normally go back Saturday and Sunday.  I was going after work, but it is easy to talk yourself out of going after working all day.  I was surprised how many folks are at the door at 5 a.m.

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 05:37:44 PM »
Nice exercise room Chino!  I go to the Y Monday thru Thursday at 5 a.m.  I normally spin hard for about 35 minutes, spend 10 minutes on weights and hit the steam room for 10 minutes.  I take Friday off and normally go back Saturday and Sunday.  I was going after work, but it is easy to talk yourself out of going after working all day.  I was surprised how many folks are at the door at 5 a.m.

Now that I am working 8-5 again, I have considered doing a pre-work workout first thing in the morning, but I fear that will result in me trying not to nod off all afternoon at work.  :lol :lol

My brother Tim is 44 and does Crossfit several times a week around 6 in the morning before working all day.  He is a beast with those workouts. :metal :metal

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 11:42:22 PM »
When I lost a lot of weight, I lost some of my muscle mass too. I gained some back, it's not a big deal anymore and I don't look too bad, but I do a lot of sitting in front of the computer, my posture sucks and as someone who has never really worked out (I just do a lot of walking around), I really need to snap out of it. So I'll be following some Blogilates routines from the Youtube channel + some of the available 30 day programs on her blog and hopefully I'll learn to like it and look for even more home workouts :)

It's been 40 degrees (104 for the USA lot of ye) outside for most of this and past week and it won't get better until Monday (and even then we'll be lucky to get 90-95 at least), so that's an extra challenge :-X

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 12:55:07 AM »
You can do it Milena!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline adace

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 01:36:53 AM »
Trying to do a mile jog each day but it's been tough with depression and fatigue. Long walks on the other hand are fairly easy for me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 05:22:13 AM »
Back in 2006, I weighed about 230-235 (I'd always been pretty heavy - ever since I can remember).  Mrs.jingle and I got the motivation to drop some weight, and over an 8-month period, I got down to 183 and she lost 25 lbs... slow and steady, about 1-2 pounds per week.  We did it exclusively on cardio (stationary bike for me; treadmill for her) and diet.  It was a simple equation - burn more than you consume.  And we kept it off for a long time.  We even did a couple of p90x routines, and man did she have a smokin hot body in 2009.  Then she got pneumonia right in the middle of a 2nd round of p90x, then broke her shoulder the following winter.  Ever since, she's had zero drive to exercise, and at this point has put on all of that weight she lost 9 years ago.

Myself, I was still exercising, had a membership at the Y a year or so ago, and still doing a lot of things to stay in shape.  Then, about 2 years ago, life problems crept up, and I just stopped caring about a lot of things as I've mentioned before.  I'm back up to 214, and hating myself for it - which sure didn't help with my depression.

Life issues are starting to get resolved, so bought a new stationary bike 2 weeks ago, and am going to do some cardio for the next couple of months to get myself back into it, then get back into p90x and Insanity (which is absolutely appropriately named).

Will take a 'before' picture now, and and post my before/after results here on Jan 1 as motivation to stick to it.

Ya'll can hold me accountable.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 05:33:45 AM »
So good to see your posts and see this thread Chad.  Great to see you getting back into it.  I'm still doing my thing as always, hitting the gym 5 times a week and starting to see my top abs for the first time in my life.  Might post a pic in about 6 months too as the original fitness thread I started was a good place to get some motivation too. 

Hang in there and make it part of your routine again mate, and relish in your hard work and results.  Don't hate yourself.  Shit happens, life happens, don't beat yourself up.  Look forward, accept you've taken a few steps back, it is what it is, and smash it again and you'll get there.  Stay focused man.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 06:06:30 AM »
Here is my official weigh in.

I'm just going to kind of type away here.

I've been thinking a lot about this thread as both my girlfriend and I struggle with eating. I definitely have a binge eating disorder. I'll start making dinner, get bored, and eat a dinner's worth of other food as I wait for my main dinner to finish. I'll walk into the kitchen to get a glass of water and walk out having shoved 800 calories worth of shit down my throat in a matter of minutes. It's almost as though I'm not satisfied until my stomach is physically stretched to the max. This also isn't helped by the fact that I have a problem with the texture of many vegetables, and to get anything like that in me requires a nutribullet.

I've seen people in this thread talking about times of the day to work out. This is more excuses on my part, but there is definitely a heavy dose of legitimacey in them as well. Let's start with morning. First off, I get up at 5:30 as it is. To get a real workout in would require getting up at 4:30. I'm not entirely opposed to that, I've tried it before, but I tend to start falling asleep in meetings because I'm so tired. Also, I'm not someone who (I apologize for what's coming next) can just wake up in the morning and take a morning shit. Some days it's quick, other days it takes a while of being active to get stuff moving. I'll usually shower, shave, etc.. until I'm ready. There is absolutely nothing worse that being in the middle of a workout and having the first dump of the day come on out of nowhere. It's shitty (pun intended) either way. I could try to hold it and that makes the workout miserable and exceedingly more difficult, or I can stop working out and hit the toilet. In that scenario I'm sweaty and breathing heavy as I sit on the throne, and by the time all is said and done, my body has cooled down and getting back to working out is next to impossible. After work sucks just as much. I get up at 5:30 and get home at 5:30. By the time I workout, shower, and eat dinner, it's already 8 o'clock. I get maybe two or two and a half hours to relax before falling asleep.

When I lost the near 80lbs the first time, I attribute most of that success to my schedule. I was working 10:00-6:30. I could wake up at 7, go to the gym for an hour and a half, and still have plenty of time before work.

Another big problem I have is dicouragement. When I was in peak shape, I was going to the gym 7 times a week. I'd take two days off and go twice on two days. I was a machine. Even though I was still a big dude, I was running (literally running) 4-5 miles at a time. I was lifting heavy and could do between 70 and 80 pushups before my arms would give out. Today when I work out, I can't help but get disappointed with myself. I know that's ridiculous and completely negative, but it's hard not to do sometimes. I hate myself when I get on my bench and can barely put up 50 pounds less than what I used to do as my warm up.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 06:40:05 AM by Chino »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 06:32:57 AM »
Totally get your point Chino about your 'movements'.  Thankfully, I don't have that problem.  Working out in the evening - even after dinner - isn't a bad thing.  That's how mrs.jingle and I lost our weight initially.  jingle.kids were only 5, so after we put them to bed, we'd get on the bike/treadmill.  Start slow - you didn't get to 278 in a few weeks/months, so you won't drop the weight in a few weeks/months.

Re: eating... the epiphany moment I had 9 years ago was reading (and I knew this, it was just a reminder), that it takes your brain 20 minutes to get the signal from your stomach that you're full.  So, if you (and I'm using "you" generically, not to anyone specifically) eat until you're full, you were actually full 15-20 minutes ago.  I cut my portions by 1/3, and if I was still full when the plate was empty, I'd tell myself 'if you're still hungry in 30 minutes, have a snack or something small'.  Invariably, 90% of the time I'd forget I was hungry 30 minutes later.  The other thing I read recently is that a lot of people confuse being hungry with being thirsty.... so I'm trying to drink a lot more water - and that also speeds up the metabolism.  I'm doing it with BCAA powder, which adds a little sweetness, and also helps curb some of the cravings from my sweet tooth.

Anyway... that's my advice for the moment.  Anyone else have any 'epiphany' moments that has helped them?

Think I may start a 'tracker' in the OP unless anyone objects - starting weight, goal weight, timeframe etc... to keep people accountable.  Let me know who's game for that.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 06:49:15 AM »
Totally get your point Chino about your 'movements'.  Thankfully, I don't have that problem.  Working out in the evening - even after dinner - isn't a bad thing.  That's how mrs.jingle and I lost our weight initially.  jingle.kids were only 5, so after we put them to bed, we'd get on the bike/treadmill.  Start slow - you didn't get to 278 in a few weeks/months, so you won't drop the weight in a few weeks/months.

Re: eating... the epiphany moment I had 9 years ago was reading (and I knew this, it was just a reminder), that it takes your brain 20 minutes to get the signal from your stomach that you're full.  So, if you (and I'm using "you" generically, not to anyone specifically) eat until you're full, you were actually full 15-20 minutes ago.  I cut my portions by 1/3, and if I was still full when the plate was empty, I'd tell myself 'if you're still hungry in 30 minutes, have a snack or something small'.  Invariably, 90% of the time I'd forget I was hungry 30 minutes later.  The other thing I read recently is that a lot of people confuse being hungry with being thirsty.... so I'm trying to drink a lot more water - and that also speeds up the metabolism.  I'm doing it with BCAA powder, which adds a little sweetness, and also helps curb some of the cravings from my sweet tooth.

Anyway... that's my advice for the moment.  Anyone else have any 'epiphany' moments that has helped them?

Think I may start a 'tracker' in the OP unless anyone objects - starting weight, goal weight, timeframe etc... to keep people accountable.  Let me know who's game for that.

I'm down for being listed in the OP.
Starting weight: 278.2
Goal weight: 200.0
Goal time: April 1, 2016

There is also a cool app I use called My Fitness Pal. You can enter in your weight and height and whatnot and keep tabs on everything you eat throughout the day. It's database is absolutely massive and it's rare that I'm eating something that's not listed on it. You can also scan barcodes to make recording easier. Say I am having cheerios. I just scan the barcode on the box, enter how much of it I'm eating, and it calculates the calories and everything for you. It tells you what you should be eating per day based on your current body and what your goals are. You can have a friends list and see how everyone else is doing (including their weightloss).

In regards to your water comment, I try and drink a gallon of water a day. Most days I succeed. I like to think it helps with food cravings, but it doesn't :/ I've talked to a doctor my eating problem. She says that there is a condition where the stomach doesn't actually send the 'full' chemical to the brain. There are people who won't feel full until food starts backing up their throat, regardless of how slow they eat. I think I may have that because I never actually feel full. I have two feelings, 'hungry' and I've' eaten so much I need to puke' (not bulimic). I've never actually been tested for that condition though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 07:14:37 AM »
I started my weight loss program 2 and a half weeks ago.  About 6 years ago I lost 55 pounds in 6 months, I had a lot of time on my hands then and just one day decided I wanted to lose the weight and went at it.  This time is kind of similar, I put all that weight back on over the years and now that I am single, I feel my shots of getting a more attactive lady will be significantly improved if I lose some weight.  This time I am not going in with a goal weight, but I want to stay committed to my plan until labor day weekend and see how I look and feel.  I can say 2.5 weeks in I already feel ligher and overall better.

My diet is one pack of oatmeal for breakfast, a lean cuisine for lunch, and then I've been grilling some sort of lean meat for dinner (chicken, shrimp, or a lean steak) with veggies.  Also make a protein drink after my workout which is just water and protein mix, but on the weekends I replace my breakfast with a real shake of protein, berries, and yogurt after a morning workout.

My workout isn't crazy intense, but its getting more intense every week now as my body starts to get used to working out again.  For now I do 30 minutes on my bike every day after work and then I mix in some dumbbell exercises.  I set up my basement for working out now, I have the bowflex selectech dumbbells which are awesome and a bench for simple exercises.  I also set up my ping pong table against the wall so I can practice by myself, which is actually some good exercise too and more fun (plus I get better so maybe one day I can beat my really good friend)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 07:20:59 AM »
I wish I could see your image at work.

I'm very limited in what I could fit in my basement. The house was built in 1927 so the basement's ceiling is only 79". I would really like a machine for lateral pull downs, but the shortest one I've been able to find is 84". I'd prefer to not cut up my ceiling to fit it. That goes for most machines, bowflex included. I also can't put a treadmil or an eliptical down their either because of this :/ It really sucks. My basement is massive. The finished portion of it is 12'x24'. I could fit so much down there, but the ceiling height is such a limiting factor.

Also, those squares I have on the floor, I highly recommend them.

Protip: If you are looking for gym equipment, go on Craigslist. If you look at the picture of my exercise room, that bench, the rack, and all the weights only cost me $150. The bike that you can't see was free. It was $75 orginally, but the guy said the display stopped working and I could just take it for free if I wanted. The display will turn off once in a blue moon, but it works just fine 95% of the time.

The rower wasn't cheap. I got that for $700 from Costco. The cheapest I could find it elsewhere was $950. I always wanted a good rowing machine as it's low impact on my bad ankle and can deliver a ridiculous workout in a very short amount of time. It was my house gift to myself.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2015, 07:29:32 AM »
Starting Weight: 179
Goal Weight: 165
Goal Time: January 26th, 2016

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2015, 07:29:45 AM »
My gym is not as a good as yours, just a bike and a small bench plus my dumbbells.

My basement is decent size, but its carpet and shit carpet that was on the first floor before I bought the house so its effectively carpet I don't care if I ruin so I don't think I need anything for the floor although I have a yoga mat if that helps with anything.

At this point I'm also not looking to get any more equipment.  The bike was new for this workout since I don't live with my parents to use their treadmill, plus my ankles get tendinitis easily so the bike is low impact and therefore better for my shitty legs.

I should also add that part of my diet has been the complete cutout of all soda.  When I first lost weight 6 years ago I made the switch from regular to diet soda and that alone put weight off.  However I still drank diet soda daily.  I have now gone 2.5 weeks without a single sip of soda, the longest since I was a little kid. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2015, 07:32:43 AM »
Nice. I never drank soda. My mom said I took a sip when I was two at a local amusement park and spit it out at her. I never had it again (outside of a Long Island iced tea). My fluids are primarily milk and water with a few beers every other weekend. The milk is the killer. I love the stuff. I used to drink close to a gallon a day and I'm down to about a quart.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2015, 07:40:45 AM »
wow, I cannot drink milk unless it is accompanied by a pastry or similar.  Now I only drink water, coffee, and if its alcohol then I'm drinking vodka clubs which is what I drink anyway, but its still a healthier choice for alcoholic beverages.  I don't plan on giving up soda for life, just while I diet and hopefully when I am done, I just drink less than I did before.  I was already slowing down unintentionally from my soda drinking and wasn't planning on completely stopping initially, but just happened to go my first day without it and said fuck it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2015, 07:53:00 AM »
I forgot all about coffee. I drink 24-48 ounces a day.

Soda scares me with it's corrosiveness. A guy just recently filed a lawsuit claiming he had found a dead mouse in his can of Mountain Dew. The case proved that the can was 15 months old. The defense wasn't that packaging standards and quality control would prevent a mouse from getting in the can, but rather the Mountain Dew would have dissolved the mouse within 30 days and it certainly would not have been recognizeable after 15 months. Now Youtube is filled with videos of people putting dead mice in soda for a month.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2015, 08:37:28 AM »
I stopped drinking soda for a good 7 or 8 years. Until that stay at the in laws. I'd give in and have a Root Beer or Coke here and there....next thing you know I'm ordering it more and more at lunch or if we went out to dinner. I recently (last week) told myself I was done...need to cut it out. It's really no good for you, at all.

I drink somewhere around 32-48 oz of coffee a day....just creamer. About 3 or 4 months ago I deleted using sweetner's and actually like the taste of coffee now without it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2015, 08:54:04 AM »
I usually just have 2 k-cups a day when at work and dont normally drink coffee outside of work.  I had been using splenda and creamer, cut out the splenda this week which officially eliminated the fake sugar from my diet that I know of.  The coffee is fine with the creamer, but black coffee is still something I stuggle with drinking.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2015, 09:28:31 AM »
@ Cram... what size dumbells do you have - the 90s or 52.5?  I've got the 90s.  Absolutely love them.  Best investment of workout equipment I've ever made

@ Chino - have the same problem with ceiling height.  I think it's about 80".  You ever try a chin-up bar for your doorway?  I have one of these

You can use a chair for leverage until the strength is there to do a chin/pull-up unassisted.

@ anyone with soda cravings.  Try BCAA powder... 0 carbs/0 sugars/0 calories, and it might take care of that need for sweetness - also uncarbonated.

Will update OP later, and post pics of my "home gym".

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2015, 09:38:28 AM »
I have looked into those. I have three doorways in my exercise room, all of which have doors on them. Would I need to take the one of the doors off one of the door frames if I were to get one of those?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2015, 09:54:09 AM »
I have looked into those. I have three doorways in my exercise room, all of which have doors on them. Would I need to take the one of the doors off one of the door frames if I were to get one of those?

Nope.  I'll take a picture of how they are setup, and post later.  It's a real easy setup.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2015, 10:02:55 AM »
My goals/experiences are a bit different from you guys.

My entire life I've been fairly skinny.  I'm 5'11" and had always been right at 150 lbs.  About 2.5 years ago I started going to a crossfit gym.  I had never really done any type of power lifting (squats, deadlifts, etc) and definitely no olympic lifting (clean & jerk, snatch), especially at the weight, frequency, and intensity of the typical crossfit program.  When I first joined I was having to scale almost every workout as I just didn't have the strength to do the recommended weights or the skill to do some of the more demanding gymnastic and other movements (double unders, handstand push ups, single leg squats (aka pistols), muscle ups, etc).  Even with scaling, the workouts destroyed me.  I was always one of the last to finish or often I couldn't even finish a workout within the timecap we had for that particular one.

Slowly but surely I started making gains and about a year and a half ago things started to turn around for me.  The skill stuff came along with practice.  I can bust out about 150 unbroken double unders now, and if a workout has muscle ups in it, I look forward to it.  My front and back squat one rep maxes have almost doubled.  I can now snatch more than my original back squat max.  I can do almost every workout at the "big boy" weight and usually I am one of the first to finish.  I'm now up to 180 lbs with less fat than when I started.  So it's basically a 30 lb increase in muscle over than last 2.5 years.

jingle, you ever accidentally used unflavored BCAAs in water?  Definitely NOT sweet!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2015, 10:27:10 AM »
I need to start nudging my diet in a better direction. Sometimes I'm eating way healthy and others, especially when I'm broke as hell, I'm eating shit and junk to get by. I know even small change will help.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"