Author Topic: Live At Budokan appreciation thread  (Read 2091 times)

Offline MajorBoobage

Live At Budokan appreciation thread
« on: July 21, 2015, 11:14:16 AM »
There is no Budokan appreciation thread, i don`t know why.
This is still my favourite live dvd/bd, even though i would change some songs like New Millenium, War Inside My Head and TTTSTA.
I saw people say that LaBrie was pretty weak on this one, but i canīt complain because band was really on fire.
Extra features are also great, with that Riding the Train of Thought documentary.
Hollow Years, BTL, INTOG,Trial Of Tears, Instrumedley(with angles  :metal) are really really great.
I wonder what Blu Ray remaster looks/sounds like?

What is your opinion?
It seems that they're entering an area of extreme hazard. A zone of some sort. A dangerous one.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Live At Budokan appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 11:33:22 AM »
I love it.  Looks great, sounds great, great setlist.

The band isn't in the peak condition they are for, say, Score, but it doesn't detract from my enjoyment.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 11:44:20 AM »
LAB introduced me to DT and to this day I think it's the sleekest looking concert DVD ever released. Despite JLB's lackluster performance, it's probably the most exciting DT DVD, with lots of exclusive stuff (Hollow Years extended solo, BTL jam, Instrumedley), which would unimaginable these days. I think it's a perfect snapshot of the band at their peak.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 12:32:13 PM »
Still DT's best overall DVD/BluRay when you take into account - visuals, sounds, track list, performance.

I watched this (well parts) on blu ray just the other day when I was working out, it's amazing.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 12:37:23 PM »
LAB is the best live release in DT's catalog.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 01:01:52 PM »
The band isn't in the peak condition they are for, say, Score, but it doesn't detract from my enjoyment.

I'd say the band is in better condition for LaB. James specifically is better in Score, but I think the rest of the boys deliver a better performance at Budokan.

LAB introduced me to DT and to this day I think it's the sleekest looking concert DVD ever released. Despite JLB's lackluster performance, it's probably the most exciting DT DVD, with lots of exclusive stuff (Hollow Years extended solo, BTL jam, Instrumedley), which would unimaginable these days. I think it's a perfect snapshot of the band at their peak.

Agree with the bolded, it might be the best looking concert DVD I have ever seen, absolutely gorgeous shots.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 01:35:18 PM »
I friggin' LOVE 'Trial of Tears' on LAB! It's my favorite version of the song they've recorded. As far as the entire release....I think it's an awesome show and have shown it to many people as their introduction to DT and they all leave amazed!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 01:47:06 PM »
I think it's an awesome show and have shown it to many people as their introduction to DT and they all leave amazed!
I have done the same.

My DT fandom kind of dipped during the 6 D's and TOT years. although I bought both on release, I had my kids during this time, and because of a couple other things going on, I was very distracted. I was actually in a store and on the wall of TVs they had LaB on and I stood there amazed.
It got me back into DT and I have never let go again.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 11:12:40 PM »
I love it.  Looks great, sounds great, great setlist.

This. I overall think JLB is pretty good on it (especially the FII material, where he nails it), it's mostly just PMU and ITNOG where the long set affects his voice that much for me. Even factoring in that, this is my favourite DT DVD.

SO ENERGY! SO POWAH!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 04:33:34 AM »
The best live release, of course, not even a questioning.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 06:19:56 AM »
Even though I slightly prefer their performance on Score, I think LAB has the best setlist.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 12:52:09 PM »
My favorite as well. Great set and beautifully shot.

Offline paulstfu

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 04:09:31 PM »
My favorite part:

Random guy: "Is that Dream Theater?"
JP: "Yes... It is..."
Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 05:39:47 PM »
My favorite part:

Yes, but "Random guy" is not an accurate description.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 06:17:10 PM »
While it is indeed beautifully shot, I do have several issues that place it below Score.

First of all, it isn't very climatic.
While In The Name of God was an awesome way to close it and builds up perfectly, I'd say they should have swapped Disappear with Hollow Years. The HY performance was beyond perfect and for me, it's the show's real climax.

Sometimes John Myung is too, too high. And while this isn't really an issue from my part, since it does add a lot to the heavy theme of the show, sometimes it's annoying, especially when you try to hear Jordan Rudess's leads (his solo at Only A Matter of Time can be barely heard).
This is probably the live album with the least James time wise. Two 11-minute instrumental, the extra jamming section in the middle of a song with an already long instrumental. My theory is that they did this to compensate for James's tired voice, which is pretty evident on the last part of the show.

Anyway, this is my 2nd favorite live show and is tied with BTFW, behind Score. Still awesome.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 06:21:10 PM »
Budokan is hands down the best DT live release, and the thing that got me into DT in the first place.
James doesn't sound very good, but the rest of the band is on fire. The only thing that I don't like is that JP's guitars are sometimes very low in the mix (for example This Dying Soul intro solos).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 07:04:24 PM »
I think this is definitely their best looking live DVD or Blu-ray. 

And yet it is my least favorite of their four official ones that are complete shows.  I doubt I would say that if 16 minutes hadn't been wasted on the Instrumedley and the keyboard solo. 

But, since this is an appreciation thread, I will say that the extended jam in Beyond This Life is pretty stellar.  I'd never listen to that version over the original, but I'll sometimes listen to just that section of that live version.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 07:19:38 PM »
A common criticism I see about Budokan is the fact that they played something of about every single album except Awake.
And yeah, I agree, they ignored Awake except for the Erotomania section at the Instrumedley.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Cable

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 07:37:30 PM »
The positives I have about it;

Yup, as others have said, it is their best looking live show. The filming was dare I say perfect, and I'm sure the venue helped with that. It was their first live release with a multi-camera angle song.
---

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 07:39:08 PM »
My favorite part:

Yes, but "Random guy" is not an accurate description.
How come?

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 05:35:25 PM »
This album was my first experience of actually SEEING Dream Theater live as opposed to just hearing their music... and what an introduction. I think it looks and sounds fantastic to this day, has a real cinematic quality about it... love the setlist too, ToT happens to be one of my favourite albums, as well as one of my favourite songs. So it's pretty freaking close to perfection for me  :hefdaddy

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 05:38:39 PM »
It's by far the most professional DT DVD.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 05:41:54 PM »
Disappear and Hollow Years should have switched places and it would have been awesome.
I think this is JR's worst solo, the first half is just random key pressing that I (a noob keyboardist) was able to recreate. Now, if I did that, nobody would appreciate it, but most do because man he's Jordan Rudess. The second half is very beautiful.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2015, 05:00:30 PM »
I still think Budokan is the go-to DVD to recommend for someone who is new to DT. Yes, even over score, mostly because it's the representation of a concert (just DT playing songs) they would most likely see. Chances are that I will never see DT with orchestra, if you understand what I mean.

This. I overall think JLB is pretty good on it (especially the FII material, where he nails it), it's mostly just PMU and ITNOG where the long set affects his voice that much for me. Even factoring in that, this is my favourite DT DVD.

Besides JLB in the first song or two, he's great.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Cable

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2015, 07:07:35 PM »
Ok, watched a chunk of it today. Still not my favorite, but I came away liking a lot more.

JP's rhythm tone was much better via the DVD and my stereo. I still prefer WDADR-U's tone, but I feel this one was just mixed differently due to it being the same rig with both shows. JM also popped out more, as I sat next to the subwoofer.

And again, the camera work is just so jaw dropping. Stuff like the beginning unison of OAMOT is so incredible, as it is above JP and comes closer to him. The subtitles are a great touch, and remains the only DVD with them.

This DVD is certainly better to me than most of DT's live albums, including the last 3.
---

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2015, 08:48:33 PM »
Disappear and Hollow Years should have switched places and it would have been awesome.
Disagree here - their placement in the setlist is just right. Disappear works much better at the end of a set, and HYears much better in the middle, especially leading into WIMH.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2015, 07:04:06 AM »
Right. Hollow Years is perfect where it is.
And the Budokan version is incredible, taking a Bottom 15 DT track and turning it into a Top 15 Track for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol