Author Topic: Two More Anniversaries Coming Up in 2017...!...  (Read 8429 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Two More Anniversaries Coming Up in 2017...!...
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2015, 11:00:05 PM »
I'm sure I'm not the ONLY one who likes Constant Motion.

Not at all! It's a great high energy metal song. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2015, 11:28:53 PM »
I think Constant Motion would be great if they rerecord the vocals to angry James LaBrie than the Herfield clone.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2015, 11:31:03 PM »
I like MP's vocals in the studio version, but dislike how they sound live.
I actually ended up liking James singing both parts after the first chorus more than with MP.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2015, 06:21:59 AM »
Are you kidding? Constant Motion is fantastic! my #2 SC track and overall #20-30, I'd love to see it live.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2015, 08:23:43 AM »
The idea for the encore was to have songs that weren't from any of those three albums, but also aren't from the last few albums either.

That's fine, but sometimes ideas might look good on paper, but not work in reality.  I don't think Status Seeker (a song I actually kinda like) in the encore works on paper or reality. :biggrin: :lol

They DID play As I Am as set-closer in a few shows on the Octavarium tour.

Well, it was a bad idea then, and it's a bad idea now, IMO.

I'm sure I'm not the ONLY who who dislikes Constant Motion. :P

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2015, 09:28:15 AM »
I like MP's vocals in the studio version, but dislike how they sound live.
I actually ended up liking James singing both parts after the first chorus more than with MP.

The thing is that in a live setting MP would pull out his bad guy persona vocals trying to sound 'cool' or something, which only made him sound forced and silly. I'm not a big fan of Constant Motion because I don't digest the idea of MP sharing lead vocals with JLB, but I can listen to the studio version every once in a while.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2015, 05:16:16 PM »
I don't know, but if DT wants to lose the crowd, playing Status Seeker in the encore is sure to do it. :lol :lol

Innocence Faded is a poor choice for an encore song as well. 

Lastly, As I Am is more of a set opener/first encore song, than set closer or show closer.

Your selection of songs overall is mostly good, but the running order is not.  Do some serious rearranging and that could be a mostly great set list (chuck Constant Motion into an abyss somewhere).

All right then.

Fair enough.

You're entitled to your opinion.

So how about THIS instead:

1) Light Fuse and Get Away
2) To live Forever (Or 1 & 2 could be reversed. I can't really decide which way works better...)
3) 6:00
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2015, 02:26:24 PM »
For an encore?  That's a really weird encore.

The encore shouldn't be something from WDADU, just because that is their most obscure album.  Few would know it, and few of them would like it.

To Live Forever would work as part of a multi-song encore, I guess, but I wouldn't pick it.  That seems more like a "body of the setlist" song than an "encore" song.

6:00 is also not a good encore song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2015, 03:31:29 PM »
The idea for the encore was to have songs that weren't from any of those three albums, but also aren't from the last few albums either.

They DID play As I Am as set-closer in a few shows on the Octavarium tour.

Any suggestions?
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2015, 04:19:09 PM »
Are you asking yourself a question?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2015, 04:33:44 PM »
No.

I was trying to make it clear what the question was about.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2015, 12:04:02 PM »
Any suggestions?
A different format for the encore?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2015, 01:02:35 PM »
Like what?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2015, 02:49:21 PM »
Like, just one, two, or three (depending on length) of the most awesome songs from their body of work that aren't played in the body of the setlist?

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2015, 03:51:51 PM »
I hope no one is taking any of this too seriously. It's all meant to be fun. I don't think it hurts to speculate about how the band might observe the anniversaries of these albums, and I don't think playing a show or even a tour with songs that are mostly or entirely from them would be the worst way to do that.

Since no one seems to like the last idea I had, try this:

Set One:
1) Burning My Soul
2) Take the Time
3) Blind Faith
4) Constant Motion
5) Just Let Me Breathe
6) Learning to Live
7) The Glass Prison
8) As I Am (The song selection stays the same, but these songs are in the two main sets, not the encore)
9) New Millennium

~~~~Intermission~~~~

Set Two:
1) Under a Glass Moon
2) About to Crash
3) War Inside My Head
4) The Test that Stumped them All
5) Hollow Years
6) Innocence Faded
7) Status Seeker
8) Hell's Kitchen
9) Another Day
10) Solitary Shell
11) A Rite of Passage
12) Lines in the Sand
13) Pull Me Under

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Encore: (A couple of songs from the last two albums.)
1) Lost Not Forgotten
2) The Enemy Inside

Offline romdrums

« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2015, 12:51:29 PM »
Re-arranging your set list for better flow:

Set One:
1. As I Am
2. Status Seeker
3. Blind Faith
4. Lost Not Forgotten
5. Hollow Years
6. New Millennium
7. Constant Motion
8. Under a Glass Moon
9. Burning My Soul
10. Hell's Kitchen
11. Lines in the Sand

-intermission-
1. The Glass Prison
2. About to Crash
3. War Inside My Head
4. The Test That Stumped Them All
5. Another Day
6. Just Let Me Breathe
7. Innocence Faded
8. A Rite of Passage
9. Solitary Shell
10. Take the Time
11. Learning to Live

Encore:
1. The Enemy Inside
2. Pull Me Under

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2015, 02:04:39 PM »
I really feel we need The Bigger Picture and Surrender to Reason on next tour. I hope I'm not alone in this (my two favorites from self-titled) and I hope band will choose to play those songs. And StR would be good closer IMO.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2015, 03:16:02 PM »
Re-arranging your set list for better flow:

Set One:
1. As I Am
2. Status Seeker
3. Blind Faith
4. Lost Not Forgotten
5. Hollow Years
6. New Millennium
7. Constant Motion
8. Under a Glass Moon
9. Burning My Soul
10. Hell's Kitchen
11. Lines in the Sand

-intermission-
1. The Glass Prison
2. About to Crash
3. War Inside My Head
4. The Test That Stumped Them All
5. Another Day
6. Just Let Me Breathe
7. Innocence Faded
8. A Rite of Passage
9. Solitary Shell
10. Take the Time
11. Learning to Live

Encore:
1. The Enemy Inside
2. Pull Me Under

Your ideas are good, and I think I would enjoy the show just as much either way. However, I think we would both be in the minority, and I had a lot of the songs in the order that they're in for good reasons. I put the "new" songs as the encore because I kept getting told that the ones I originally chose were the "wrong" songs for an encore. Also, while *I* don't mind if Pull Me Under is the final song in the show, there are WAY too many other people that keep reacting to it like I was suggesting that they do a Katy Perry song, or something just as annoying (like maybe a country song) for the encore!
And finally, I thought that Hell's Kitchen would be a good lead into Another Day, which in turn would flow nicely into Solitary Shell. I think it would sound kind of strange to "sandwich" Another Day in between two faster, heavier songs. I was thinking of the overall "flow" as well as the fact that I like to mix up the expected order of things.

One Last Time:

Like I said, 2017 will ALSO be the 10th anniversary of Systematic Chaos, which is one of my personal favorite DT albums, so I worked out one MORE idea that has songs from I&W, FII, 6DoiT, and SC ONLY in the two main sets, and again, a couple of "new" songs for the encore.

As James likes to say "HERE WE GO!"

Set One:
1) Burning My Soul
2) Take the Time
3) Blind Faith
4) Forsaken
5) Just Let Me Breathe
6) Learning to Live
7) The Glass Prison
8) In the Presence of Enemies, Part 1
9) New Millennium

~~~~Intermission~~~~

Set Two:
1) Under a Glass Moon
2) Hollow Years
3) About to Crash/
4) War Inside My Head/
5) The Test That Stumped Them All
6) Repentance
7) Hell's Kitchen
8) Another Day
9) Solitary Shell
10) Constant Motion
11) Lines in the Sand
12) Pull Me Under

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Encore:
1) Breaking All Illusions
2) The Enemy Inside

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2015, 03:53:37 PM »
But this would all depend on the new album and what they do with the songs from it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:03:17 PM by chaossystem »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2015, 08:44:46 AM »
Also, while *I* don't mind if Pull Me Under is the final song in the show, there are WAY too many other people that keep reacting to it like I was suggesting that they do a Katy Perry song, or something just as annoying (like maybe a country song) for the encore!
I would rather hear a cover of a Katy Perry song, or a country song, than Pull Me Under.

Nothing wrong with Pull Me Under per se; it's just been played to death.  It's been done.

I think a Katy Perry cover would be a hoot.  I would love to see their version of, say, Roar, or Firework.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2015, 07:56:36 PM »
First of all I was joking about them doing Katy Scary or cowntry songs. That would be worse than a nightmare come true. Do you REALLY want DT to turn into Faith No More? That's the kind of thing that FNM is known for. We don't need ANOTHER band that does those kinds of things.

It wouldn't really bother me if DT played Pull Me Under at every single one of their shows. There are a lot of bands that not only have certain songs that they're expected to play every time, but have a certain pretty much required PLACE in the set.
Just to name a few examples:

-Iron Maiden always has to play The Trooper near the beginning of the Show, and Hallowed Be Thy Name, The Number of the Beast, and Iron Maiden at the end of the set, or in the encore.

-Metallica always seems required to play Enter Sandman, One, and Master of Puppets, among others.

-Kansas always has to play Carry On Wayward Son as either set-closer or encore. They also keep dragging out The Wall and Miracles Out of Nowhere, even though the live versions of those songs are getting to sound worse and worse. Point of Know Return doesn't bother me, because at least it's a painlessly SHORT song.

-Yes always has to conclude with Roundabout. Personally I think the current version of Yes should give up and call it a day, before they completely destroy a great band's LEGACY!

-Speaking of Metallica, on their last several tours they ALWAYS open with Creeping Death and For Whom the Bell Tolls, and close with Seek & Destroy as their encore. Imagine DT having to open EVERY show with Metropolis and Pull Me Under, and playing A Fortune in Lies for the encore.
Then everyone who gets sick of hearing the same songs over and over would REALLY have something to bitch about!

It would be better if Metallica would play one of the two RtL songs about 20-30 minutes into the set, and the other one closer to the end.

I think a good compromise might be that DT could play Pull Me Under at the end of the first set, and Metropolis could be switched could be switched out with a song like The Root of All as second-set closer and encore.

There are more examples, such as the way Rush used to close their shows with In the Mood, which I think is one of their WORST songs, or Genesis always playing Turn it on Again as their encore
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:49:30 PM by chaossystem »

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2015, 08:43:17 PM »
 :omg: :facepalm:

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2015, 10:57:46 PM »
If DT really wanted to be serious about anniversaries from here on out, their best bet is to pull a WDADRU and just block out one or two shows to play the whole album they're commemorating, with the tour progressing unhindered otherwise. The idea of a special show or two is much more fitting for these sorts of things than making it the centerpiece of an entire tour, or leg of a tour even.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2015, 12:22:21 AM »
chaossystem, the problem here is that you seemingly want DT to throw a curve ball by playing the most bizarre choices possible in their encore, seemingly for either the shock value or the sake of something different, while giving little thought as to how poorly such choices would go over with a live crowd.   

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2015, 04:02:52 AM »

-Iron Maiden always has to play The Trooper near the beginning of the Show, and Hallowed Be Thy Name, The Number of the Beast, and Iron Maiden at the end of the set, or in the encore.

-Metallica always seems required to play Enter Sandman, One, and Master of Puppets, among others.

-Speaking of Metallica, on their last several tours they ALWAYS open with Creeping Death and For Whom the Bell Tolls, and close with Seek & Destroy as their encore. Imagine DT having to open EVERY show with Metropolis and Pull Me Under, and playing A Fortune in Lies for the encore.
Then everyone who gets sick of hearing the same songs over and over would REALLY have something to bitch about!

It would be better if Metallica would play one of the two RtL songs about 20-30 minutes into the set, and the other one closer to the end.

I think a good compromise might be that DT could play Pull Me Under at the end of the first set, and Metropolis could be switched could be switched out with a song like The Root of All as second-set closer and encore.

There are more examples, such as the way Rush used to close their shows with In the Mood, which I think is one of their WORST songs, or Genesis always playing Turn it on Again as their encore
First off, in Metallica's last tour, we got to vote which songs they played, so it was all up to the audience, and obviously the most popular songs were picked, all they did was create the best order, and Seek and Destroy is just a killer closing song, and Battery (has almost always been the opener last year) was an amazing opener.
When I went to see Maiden I don't believe they played Iron Maiden, Hallowed Be Thy Name or The Number of the Beast, and The Trooper was played somewhere in the middle. Sure, everyone's most popular song(s) get played more often during concerts, but that's always the smartest thing to do from their perspective, because it simply attracts the bigger part of the audience, but they're surely not obliged to play them on every single set.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2015, 05:52:08 AM »
Do you REALLY want DT to turn into Faith No More?
Is this a serious question?

It wouldn't really bother me if DT played Pull Me Under at every single one of their shows.

There are a lot of bands that not only have certain songs that they're expected to play every time, but have a certain pretty much required PLACE in the set.
So?

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2015, 07:28:26 AM »
I can't believe we're so close to the freakin' 10th anniversary of Systematic Chaos. I became a fan in that era (not thanks to that album though), and the band was already a huge establishment by that time.

But anyways, if they ever celebrate any album I suppose they would do that like they did for Awake/SFAM, only taking a couple unique songs they haven't played in a while or playing half an album or so as part of the set. I mean, there's a lot of sense in celebrating your first album, your breakthrough album, your 2nd breakthrough album and the album that saved the band's career. But what's the sense in celebrating something like the album that nearly ended the band, or a 10 year old album that no one feels nostalgia for yet?

I do believe they'll commemorate SDOIT somehow, possibly by playing the song SDOIT again.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2015, 02:40:44 PM »
Another way that they might do it is to just play TWO or THREE songs from each of the albums that has an anniversary that year. I think there are some songs from EACH of those albums that we haven't heard for a while, so this would be a good excuse to bring them back.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:09:45 PM by chaossystem »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2015, 03:51:34 AM »
That's right, I think Prophets of War hasn't been played in a while, but I don't think a big portion of the fans wants to hear PoW as an anniversary, I would, but that's just me.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2015, 04:05:51 PM »
There are some people who like it, and I wouldn't mind if they played. Besides it's a "shorter" song, so it wouldn't take up too much of the show.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2015, 04:23:52 PM »
Nobody wanted to see fucking Lie being played last tour, but they had to play it because it's part of Awake.
So instead of playing The Bigger Picture they played fucking Lie.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2015, 04:46:51 PM »
Nobody wanted to see fucking Lie being played last tour, but they had to play it because it's part of Awake.
I don't think nobody wanted to hear Lie. I surely didn't but many people like it.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2015, 05:08:53 PM »

You wanted them to play "The Bigger Fucking Picture" when Lie, Behind the Veil, and Surrender to Reason are all MUCH better songs???

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2015, 05:09:41 PM »

You are dead wrong.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2015, 07:20:47 AM »

You wanted them to play "The Bigger Fucking Picture" when Lie, Behind the Veil, and Surrender to Reason are all MUCH better songs???
opinions