Author Topic: Sorry to ask this - DT Opening  (Read 1864 times)

Offline BelichickFan

Sorry to ask this - DT Opening
« on: July 15, 2015, 11:58:16 AM »
I've searched the forum and googled with no success so if someone doesn't mind :

I've always thought I remembered reading that once they became successful there's only 4 bands DT would open for, obviously Yes and Maiden since they did, Rush is obvious (though they don't have openers) and the other one I assumed was Metalica but I never have actually read that.

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

Thanks.

p.s. I have read Lifting Shadows but I don't want to read it all again just hoping for the answer in there.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Sorry to ask this - DT Opening
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 12:52:53 PM »
I think this is more on the level of MP having made those comments off-the-cuff in an interview. It's not that it's "DT law" or something.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 01:05:30 PM »
I bet they would open for a number of bands if the timing and situation were right, like how they ended up opening for IM.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 02:02:22 PM »
If they thought that it would expose their music to a good number of possible new fans, I'm sure they'd open up for One Direction.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 02:10:07 PM »
I've searched the forum and googled with no success so if someone doesn't mind :

I've always thought I remembered reading that once they became successful there's only 4 bands DT would open for, obviously Yes and Maiden since they did, Rush is obvious (though they don't have openers) and the other one I assumed was Metalica but I never have actually read that.

Thanks.

p.s. I have read Lifting Shadows but I don't want to read it all again just hoping for the answer in there.

I'm almost positive Metallica was the 4th band.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 02:23:56 PM »

Thanks.

It was.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 03:00:05 PM »

Thanks.

So just to conclude this, Portnoy stated it about Yes, Rush, Maiden, Metallica but it was less of an official statement and more of a Portnoy musing ?  (not meant negatively on Portnoy if it came out that way).

Offline 425

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 03:08:28 PM »
Yeah, having not read that statement, I would imagine it's just the way Mike Portnoy thinks about it. It seems just like something that he's thought about and has that list of four in his head. I do something similar. It's likely that John Petrucci and the other current band members haven't even thought about it that much. It's definitely not an official policy or anything.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 04:25:15 PM »
I remember the quote, but it's a looong time ago. Like, think SDOIT or something. IIRC, the answer was to the question "these days you have bands open up for you. Who could you imagine opening up for?".

The Rush inclusion might have been before the "bar band" comment by Peart though :lol
(MP played on a Rush tribut album, which was later referred to as made by "bar bands" by Neil)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 05:11:49 PM »
So just to conclude this, Portnoy stated it about Yes, Rush, Maiden, Metallica but it was less of an official statement and more of a Portnoy musing ?  (not meant negatively on Portnoy if it came out that way).
I don't think it was him musing so much. Given that the majority of the band are all fans of Rush, Maiden and Metallica and the bands all have much bigger audiences that might be interested in DT's music, I believe they all would be interested in going out on tour with them.

In fact, they were supposed to take the summer of 2010 off, but when they were offered the chance to open up for Maiden, they gave up their break so that they could go out on the road with them. So it wasn't just simply a matter of MP thinking out loud.

Put it this way: if Rush were to offer DT an opening slot on a tour in 2016, you can bet your bottom dollar that they'd take the gig, no questions asked. Just look at JP's WWRD mentality and how his inner fanboy was on display when he and Geddy Lee were both on Eddie Trunk's TV show. I'd bet the same thing would be true if Metallica were to offer them up an opening slot too.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 05:25:16 PM »
I don't think it was him musing so much. Given that the majority of the band are all fans of Rush, Maiden and Metallica and the bands all have much bigger audiences that might be interested in DT's music, I believe they all would be interested in going out on tour with them.

In fact, they were supposed to take the summer of 2010 off, but when they were offered the chance to open up for Maiden, they gave up their break so that they could go out on the road with them. So it wasn't just simply a matter of MP thinking out loud.

Put it this way: if Rush were to offer DT an opening slot on a tour in 2016, you can bet your bottom dollar that they'd take the gig, no questions asked. Just look at JP's WWRD mentality and how his inner fanboy was on display when he and Geddy Lee were both on Eddie Trunk's TV show. I'd bet the same thing would be true if Metallica were to offer them up an opening slot too.
Certainly I don't think there's ANY doubt they'd open for Rush, none, and little doubt for Metallica.

Anyway, you guys have answered my question, regardless of how hard and fast it was meant, Metallica was the 4th.  Thanks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 05:38:49 PM »
I remember the quote, but it's a looong time ago. Like, think SDOIT or something. IIRC, the answer was to the question "these days you have bands open up for you. Who could you imagine opening up for?".

That may be, but I think it also came up more "recently" when they were touring with Maiden (or getting ready to do so).  I may very well be misremembering, but I seem to recall it being discussed in connection with the Maiden tour, and Mike saying something along the lines of [rough paraphrase]:  At this stage in our careers, I can only see us opening for 4 bands, and now this is the second one. 

Or I may just be off my rocker.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 06:23:25 PM »
I'm sure there's probably more recent interviews where MP has said basically the same thing, but here's an interview from March, 2004 before they announced their opening for Yes that summer.
SH: Are there any specific plans for the summer, or are those still being fleshed out?

MP: Everything’s still being fleshed out. Right now, if you look on the website, the last show is in Korea and there’s nothing after that and that’s what we’re looking at right now – plans are still getting worked out. We would love to do a summer run in America with a package – in fact I already have my ideal package already in my mind but we’ve already found out that that’s not going to happen.

SH: Was that with Rush?

MP: Well actually, going out with Rush or Metallica is always choice number 1 for us! We would love to be a support band for either of those bands! As much as the fans wouldn’t like it as much, we would love it. But in both of those cases, I don’t think it’s gonna happen – definitely in Rush’s case it’s not gonna happen...

SH: Since they’re doing the Evening With thing.

MP: Yeah. But Metallica’s always a possibility. I talk with Lars semi-frequently and he’s been very open to that, so we’ll see, but I’m not counting on it.