Author Topic: Live albums vs. Studio  (Read 3145 times)

Offline zecawolf

Re: Live albums vs. Studio
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2015, 06:27:30 PM »
I very rarely listen to live albums in general (DT or not), I prefer studio albums. I enjoy live DVDs though, you get to see the band perform and not just hear them.

Yeah. Same thing here.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2015, 09:57:08 PM »
Zecawolf! Missed you man.
And yeah, I once did a DT DVD Marathon with a friend starting with Scenes all the way to BTFW.
Don't judge me, I didn't have anything to do that day.

Oh and, a little info.
I own the Live Scenes DVD, and I also have the extra video footage from JR's solo and Another Day.
So I ripped the video from the DVD and the audio from the CD's, so I had the entire SFAM performance, and Another Day on, all the way to ACoS.
So, with Sony Vegas, I placed the LSFNY SFAM performance and removed the credits, and and places images from the band while Metropolis-Mirror-Letme-AcidRain-Caughtmilenium played, and then I added James's comments and the footage returns to the AD performance.
I managed to make everything flow smoothly and the cuts are barely visible and filled some gaps with stock audience hahaha.
After the sign "The End" at the very end, I readded the original credits.

The entire result clocks at exactly 3 hours, 18 minutes and 25 seconds, I'm proud of it and myself.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 10:02:49 PM by Darkstarshades »
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2015, 12:29:42 AM »
First time I heard SFAM was in the live version of LSFNY, so I prefer it to the studio version...
Amazing performance of James (his best live interpretation of all times for me) and Theresa... :heart

Offline zecawolf

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2015, 03:20:40 PM »
Zecawolf! Missed you man.
And yeah, I once did a DT DVD Marathon with a friend starting with Scenes all the way to BTFW.
Don't judge me, I didn't have anything to do that day.

Oh and, a little info.
I own the Live Scenes DVD, and I also have the extra video footage from JR's solo and Another Day.
So I ripped the video from the DVD and the audio from the CD's, so I had the entire SFAM performance, and Another Day on, all the way to ACoS.
So, with Sony Vegas, I placed the LSFNY SFAM performance and removed the credits, and and places images from the band while Metropolis-Mirror-Letme-AcidRain-Caughtmilenium played, and then I added James's comments and the footage returns to the AD performance.
I managed to make everything flow smoothly and the cuts are barely visible and filled some gaps with stock audience hahaha.
After the sign "The End" at the very end, I readded the original credits.

The entire result clocks at exactly 3 hours, 18 minutes and 25 seconds, I'm proud of it and myself.

thanks Darkstar :)

Offline pcs90

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2015, 03:24:18 PM »
I generally prefer the studio CD's. There are exceptions (mostly songs off Score) but in general if I'm going to listen to a full song or album, studio. What I have done is make instrumental mixes of some of the live CD's -- basically taking all the instrumental segments and attempting to mix them in a way that flows to make one super long track. Main reason being I almost always prefer James in the studio. Some of the guitar and keyboard solos really do sound better live in my opinion though especially when extended parts are added to songs.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2015, 09:02:38 PM »
If it's a good live band, I'll take the live versions over studio because they normally have spent time to develop a few extra bits and pieces and you get the most up-to-date version of the song, that being said I'm not saying that's always a good thing, but for me it normally is. In the case of DT I listened to the studio albums so much that it got to the point where I wasn't bored of the music, but I was much more entertained by hearing the same songs with a different take on them and hearing references and mini covers here and there only sweetened the experience. Also they play like a unit, everything is tight, and playing the songs live like this sometimes gives a new energy to certain songs or might allow for a completely different perspective and possibly gain new appreciation for something that didn't stand out as much before.

For DT these days, it just depends on which era or group of songs I feel like hearing, but I'll just as easily put on a live album as I'd put on one of their studio albums at this point. And that'll normally be full album plays while at work. I only really listen to individual songs if I've put them in a playlist or something. Now live videos, that's something I prefer to focus on so I'll save those for a time when I know I can give my full attention.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 09:08:00 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline Cable

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2015, 12:52:59 AM »
I very rarely listen to live albums in general (DT or not), I prefer studio albums. I enjoy live DVDs though, you get to see the band perform and not just hear them.

Yeah. Same thing here.

+2.

I have some on my phone, but more often than not, they are skipped. Some live songs have better parts or sound on some songs, but overall it's always studio. Well, except WDADR-U. But that counts differently due to the one obvious reason.  :coolio
---