Author Topic: Creating the Non-Existent SetLists  (Read 4130 times)

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
Creating the Non-Existent SetLists
« on: July 13, 2015, 08:06:36 PM »
For some people I know this would be redundant, or overkill, but what if there was a live album and/or video for every tour? There wasn't one for W.D.a.U., Awake, 6-D.o.I.T., or B.C. & S.L.

I remember reading that they DID record a new version of Dream and Day Right after James LaBrie joined,  (not to be confused with RE-Unite!) but I don't know what the availability of it is. I also don't know if there's much more they could have done with it to make a double live album, other than adding some solos and covers. Also I'm not familiar enough with the music that they recorded and played BEFORE D & D, so I can't comment on what I would and would not have picked for the set list.

However, that leaves three other tours where they could have recorded and released full-length concert recordings.

The ideas that I have are entirely imaginary, and I'm sure other people's ideas will be very different from mine.
A lot of people will probably say that some the songs are in the "wrong" order, or that I left out songs that should have been included, or put in songs that should have been left out, etc.

But of course, anyone is invited to make up their own version. Make the shows longer, shorter, change the order, swap out as many songs as you want, include solos, covers, opening acts, closing acts, guest performers, whatever you can THINK of

Also all my shows are providing that they would be doing "evening with" shows all three times, and that each show, including the encores, could be about three hours in length. That's three hours of playing time, not counting intermissions or any other entertainment that the venues might provide.

I'll get to the other ones later, but for now let's just start with>

WAKE UP!-

Set One:
1) Lie (A lot of people probably think it's "sacrilege" to not have this song preceded by the Mirror, but I don't much care for that song, and they have played it live several times by itself. I'm also taking a leap of faith that they would play it RIGHT! Sometimes it sounds AWFUL when they play it live...)
2) The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
3) Learning to Live (I know! I know! Wrong PLACE for it! But I wanted to try something DIFFERENT!)
4) Status Seeker
5) Surrounded
6) A Mind Beside Itself
7) Light Fuse And Get Away
8) Under a Glass Moon
9) The Killing Hand

Set Two:
1) Take the Time
2) Innocence Faded
3) YtseJam / Drum Solo
4) Another Day
5) Space-Dye Vest
6) Only a Matter of Time
7) Wait for Sleep
8) Scarred
9) Afterlife
10) Metropolis
11) 6:00

Encore:
1) A Fortune in Lies
2) Pull Me Under

I know it has all of the songs from Dream & Day and I&W,  which a lot of people probably won't like, and I also know I left out C.i.a.W. and L.S.o.a.D., but I wanted to put out my own selection of what I thought would be the best of this version of the band and their music at the time. Plus I think this way is a pretty even mix of all three albums. I've seen my share of concerts and live albums where the band would only play TWO or THREE of the new songs. This one includes almost ALL of Awake
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Rodni Demental

Re: Creating the Non-Existent SetLists
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 08:24:06 PM »
If there was footage from the Awake tour for a DVD or something, I would like it to have included:
- 6:00 or Caught in a Web
- A Mind Beside Itself
- The Mirror + Lie
- Lifting Shadows
- Scarred
- Under a Glass Moon
- Take the Time
- Only a Matter of Time
- Light Fuse

Pretty much fills in a few gaps of the previous release and covers the best of Awake.

I'm guessing a Black Clouds release would probably have at least contained:
- Nightmare
- Rite of Passage
- Wither
- Count of Tuscany
- Profits of War

Although if we're talking imaginary setlists, even though this didn't happen on BC&SL tour, they theoretically were about ready to play the 12 Step Suite in it's entirety so chuck that in there too. :P

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 08:51:06 PM »
There IS a Japanese TV broadcast from the Awake tour that you can see on YouTube, and also the versions of 6:00 and Voices from that show are in the LiveTime video. They played most or all of the songs that you listed Rodni, but I don't think there was anything from Dream and Day.

Like I said: we'll get to Six Degrees and Black Clouds later.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 12:44:17 PM by chaossystem »
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 08:52:53 PM »
Outside of a few tracks off the last two albums that setlist in the OP contains pretty much all my favourite DT songs from (by far) my favourite DT era , so I couldn't care less what order it's in   :lol :tup   I would do bad things to see that one.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 08:58:42 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 08:58:42 PM »
For some people I know this would be redundant, or overkill...

Yes.  Totally.

I remember reading that they DID record a new version of Dream and Day Right after James LaBrie joined...

Not sure where you heard that, but it is completely false.

However, that leaves three other tours where they could have recorded and released full-length concert recordings.

Fair enough.  I will take a stab at WDADU.  Since Charlie was relieved of duty so early, and since they really had a VERY limited number of songs to choose from, it seems odd to try to come up with a fictional set.  So I will just choose from among the few they actually played.  I think it would have been cool to hear an early version of Metropolis with JP singing a couple of lines, so I will go with this one:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=28382.msg1082557#msg1082557
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 09:03:34 PM »

I remember reading that they DID record a new version of Dream and Day Right after James LaBrie joined...

He may be thinking of When Dream and James Unite/When Dream and Today Unite (the better of the two)  which are both compilations of live boots from the early 90's .  I have the Today CD somewhere around here.....Prism Records or something?  Can't remember the story behind that mob and their releases.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 09:14:49 PM »
The BC&SL DVD was something I was looking forward to have.
Because all shows in that tour were very short, they were not capable of showing a lot of what they had at the time, and there were a lot of songs that were left without proper justice.

My setlist would be something like this...

1.- A Nightmare to Remember
(James says hi, and ends with "let's go back to this one from Octavarium!")
2.- Never Enough
3.- Prophets of War
4.- A Rite of Passage
5.- Misunderstood (Shortened mess section, bringing the song duration to about 7:30 mins, flowing into TGD)
6.- The Great Debate
8.- Wither
9.- Take the Time
(Intermission) First act: 1 hour 12 mins aprox
10.- The Glass Prison
11.- This Dying Soul
12.- The Root of All Evil
13.- Repentance
14.- Keyboard Solo (At the end, everyone bursts in)
15.- The Shattered Fortress

17.- The Best of Times (Awesome Petrucci Solo

---Encore---
18.- The Count of Tuscany

The whole show would last nearly 2 hours and 44 minutes, which is about the same as other live DVD.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 03:58:37 PM by Darkstarshades »
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 11:18:36 PM »
For some people I know this would be redundant, or overkill, but what if there was a live album and/or video for every tour? There wasn't one for W.D.a.U., Awake, 6-D.o.I.T., or B.C. & S.L.
Well, in a way, there are live albums/videos for World Tourbulence and (to a degree) the Waking Up the World Tour. Don't forget that Ytsejam Records released the 2002/07/04 Bucharest show on DVD, with a healthy number of bonus tracks from the 2002/03/03 show in Mexico. And then there's the 1995/10/28 show from Japan, which technically was on the ACoS "tour" but considering that that "tour" consisted of 3 shows, you could still say it was a part of the Waking Up the World Tour.

However, considering what you're asking in this thread, I'll still play along, but using already established setlists/shows as the basis, not just picking out songs randomly - especially songs that were not featured on a particular tour.

For When Dream and Tour Unite, I think Bosk chose the best show possible since it includes all of WDaDU plus a few extras; not only that, but there aren't many shows to choose from, nor was there much else played at that time that wasn't done at this show.

For the Waking Up the World Tour, since there is the 1995/10/28 Japan show, I'd probably pick an early 1994 North American show from the tour, and combine it with a show at the end of the same leg, which is before JL suffered his terrible vocal injury. Not much changed in the setlist during that leg, altho IF and TOWHtStS were both dropped and a keyboard solo, the Awake Jam and A Crack in the Mirror were all added later. So the setlist would look something like this:
Little Green Bag/Wake Up! (intro tape)
Pull Me Under
6:00
Innocence Faded
Take the Time (w/ extended jam)
Caught in a Web (w/ drum solo including samples)
The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun (no keyboards)
Lifting Shadows Off a Dream
Awake Jam
Keyboard Solo
A Crack in the Mirror/
The Mirror/
Lie
Another Day
Erotomania
Voices
The Silent Man
~~~Encore~~~
Metropolis part I

For World Tourbulence, not being a super huge fan of the title track to SDoIT, I could easily go with the 2002/03/03 Mexico show previously mentioned:
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/dates/MPTourography/ShowInfo.aspx?showId=605
But for something more complete, I'd probably combine the two shows from Barcelona instead (excluding the MoP set) so that it would look something like this:
Finally Free (outro tape)
The Glass Prison
6:00
Strange Deja Vu
Through My Words
Fatal Tragedy
Beyond This Life
Lifting Shadows Off a Dream (w/ extended intro)
Under a Glass Moon
Surrounded
Burning My Soul '96
Another Hand/
The Killing Hand
guitar solo/
Scarred/
2112: Grand Finale (Rush)
~~~intermission~~~
Another Dimension (LTE)
Peruvian Skies
The Great Debate
Blind Faith
keyboard solo/
Lines in the Sand
Misunderstood
Lie (w/ Tool Jam)
The Spirit Carries On
Pull Me Under
~~~Encore~~~
Home
Hollow Years
Learning to Live
Take the Time (w/ excerpts of Working Man (Rush) and By-Tor (Rush))

Finally, for the Black Clouds and Silver Linings Tour, I'd probably go with combining the two shows they did in Melbourne, Australia which only included ANtR and TCoT both nights. So for that setlist, it would look like:
A Nightmare to Remember
A Rite of Passage
Hollow Years '09
short keyboard solo/
Erotomania
Voices
Forsaken
Solitary Shell (w/ extended jam)
In the Name of God
~~~intermission~~~
The Mirror
Lie
short keyboard solo/
Prophets of War
Wither
The Dance of Eternity
One Last Time
Sacrificed Sons
As I Am
Pull Me Under/
Metropolis part I
~~~Encore~~~
The Count Of Tuscany
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 11:00:06 AM »
- Profits of War

That one sounds like a Megadeth song  ;)
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 12:50:33 PM »

Yes.  Totally.

Fair enough.  I will take a stab at WDADU.  Since Charlie was relieved of duty so early, and since they really had a VERY limited number of songs to choose from, it seems odd to try to come up with a fictional set.  So I will just choose from among the few they actually played.  I think it would have been cool to hear an early version of Metropolis with JP singing a couple of lines, so I will go with this one:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=28382.msg1082557#msg1082557

I forgot to say that the new version of Dream and Day was a LIVE recording :facepalm: (D'OH!) but as far as I know it was just a note-for-note recreation of the first album with James doing all the vocals, probably recorded BEFORE they went into the studio and started I&W.

Also, I was thinking that the Awake tour would be the best time for them to put out their first full-length live release, because they had enough varied materiel to make it work.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 01:25:17 PM »
I forgot to say that the new version of Dream and Day was a LIVE recording :facepalm: (D'OH!) but as far as I know it was just a note-for-note recreation of the first album with James doing all the vocals, probably recorded BEFORE they went into the studio and started I&W.
Once again, what you're saying never happened. If it did, you can be sure that some of us long-time fans would've been well aware of it. Where did you even hear such info?

I mean one of the big reasons why the band did WDaDR was because of fans clamoring for years to get the full WDaDU album with JL on vocals. Had they done as you suggest, recording it live note-for-note with JL on vocals just before starting to record IaW, why didn't they just release that recording instead of doing WDaDR? And since you say it was a live recording, that sounds like it was done at a gig - where is this show in the tourography?

I think what you're referring to are the 2 bootleg compilations that Bl5150 commented on, where different audience recordings of WDaDU songs, taken from the 92-93 and 94 tours were all put together. Maybe you were given bad information or misunderstood what you read or were being told.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 02:21:43 PM »
Created a WDaDU setlist using all the songs they were playing in 88/89. I think it flows pretty good, and would have been a nice live companion to WDaDU.

1. A Fortune In Lies
2. Light Fuse And Get Away
3. The Crimson Sunrise/
4. The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
5. Metropolis
6. Mission:Impossible/
7. Afterlife
8. Status Seeker
9. To Live Forever
10. A Vision (w/ Improv Jam)
11. The Darkest of Winters/
12. Ytsejam (w/ Drum Solo)
13. Only a Matter of Time
---encore---
14. The Killing Hand
---2nd encore---
15. Golden Slumbers/
16. Carry That Weight/
17. The End
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 05:25:32 PM »
Lots of good ideas, and of course any additional ideas for early (pre-2000) set-lists would be more than welcome.

However, moving right along, I also have a couple of ideas for a full-length (again about three hours) "Tour-Balance" show.
They had a lot of problems, at least when they played in Phoenix, so the first show had to get cut short, and I didn't get to see them until the 2nd leg of the tour, and again I think they had a lot of technical problems. Also they were touring with King's X and Joe Satriani, so they only did about half a show, and only about half of THAT was music that I really like.

This is MY idea for an evening-with show featuring 6-DoiT-

Set One:
1) The Great Debate (I like this for an opener. Some of you probably won't. Can't please everybody...)
2) The Killing Hand
3) Under a Glass Moon
4) Scarred
5) Blind Faith
6) Burning My Soul (I know this song isn't a favorite for a lot of people, but I wanted to include something that not only hasn't DONE to death, but fits in with the "two 80 minute sets Plus a 20-minute encore" format)
7) Overture 1928 / Strange Deja Vu
8) The Glass Prison (I think this song makes for a better set closer than an opening song)

~~~Intermission~~~

Set Two:
1) The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun (a personal indulgence)
2) Lines the Sand (a lot of people love this one)
3) Fatal Tragedy (got played a lot on this tour, and I like it, and it fits, so why not?)
4) Pull Me Under (just because...it's Pull Me Under!)
5) Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (I would prefer that the band play it's OWN version of the "Overture" or that they would show a VIDEO of an orchestra playing it. I HATE that "piped-in" crap!)

Encore:
1) The Dance of Eternity
2) One Last Time
3) The Spirit Carries On
4) 6:00 (optional-I just threw this one in for the people who would rather have the show end with a "rocker" instead of a "ballad." Also depends on time constraints)

I didn't include Peruvian Skies, NOT because I don't like it,-which I do-but because it got played heavily on BOTH of the last two tours.

I worked out a slightly different version for people who have different preferences:

Set One:
1) The Great Debate
2) Take the Time (it was part of the tour, at least at SOME shows)
3) Scarred
4) Blind Faith
5) The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
6) Burning My Soul
7) Overture 1928 / Strange Deja Vu
8) The Glass Prison

~~~Intermission~~~

Set Two:
1) The Killing Hand
2) Lines in the Sand
3) Fatal Tragedy
4) Pull Me Under
5) Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

Encore stays the same
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 05:38:47 PM by chaossystem »

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 09:22:08 AM »
My ideal show would consist of songs I haven't heard live yet from every album. I've only seen them once which was on the last tour but that setlist contained three songs in my top 10 (Breaking All Illusions, The Dance of Eternity, Trial of Tears) including the song I wanted to see them play live the most (TDoE). I'll try to make it realistic based on time constraints, but I'm going to include at least one song from each album. I'm using the evening with format for my setlist.

Set 1

Bridges in the Sky
Constant Motion
Take the Time
Afterlife
Surrender to Reason
Vacant
Stream of Consciousness
Panic Attack
To Live Forever
The Count of Tuscany

Set 2

Metropolis
Home
Misunderstood
Erotomania
Voices
The Silent Man
Lines in the Sand
The Spirit Carries On
A Change of Seasons

Encore

Octavarium
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 05:53:54 PM »
And Finally-

I don't think there was much of a tour for BC&SL, other than Progressive Nation, especially here in America. They played some two-hour or more shows in Europe, but it doesn't look like they did much in "The Americas."

So here are my ideas for what they should have done here in the Phoenix area, and the rest of the country>

Set One:
(Intro Tape: Instrumental version of The Best of Times)
1) A Rite of Passage
2) Home
3) Lie
4) A Nightmare to Remember
5) Sacrificed Sons
6) Repentance
7) The Shattered Fortress

~~~~Intermission~~~~

Set Two:
1) The great Debate
2) Stargazer
3) The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
4) Stream of Consciousness
5) In the Presence of Enemies, Part 1
6) Pull Me Under
7) The Count of Tuscany

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Encore:
1) Overture 1928/
2) Just Let Me Breathe
3) Solitary Shell/
4) About to Crash Reprise (With "improv" jam at the end
(Outro Tape: Instrumental version of Wither)

A lot of people will probably like this version better-

Set One:
1) A Rite of Passage
2) Only a Matter of Time
3) Sacrificed Sons
4) A Nightmare to Remember
6) Pull Me Under
7) The Count of Tuscany

~~~~Intermission~~~~

Set Two:
1) One Last Time
2) Stargazer
3) As I Am
4) The Glass Prison
5) This Dying Soul
6) The Root of All Evil
7) Repentance
8) The Shattered Fortress

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Encore:
1) Lie
2) Overture 1928/
3) Just Let Me Breathe
4) About to Crash (Reprise)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 02:42:09 PM by chaossystem »

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 01:24:20 PM »

Yes.  Totally.

I didn't realize that they ever played Metropolis that early. That's really cool. Thanks for sharing, Bosk!
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 01:53:09 PM »
My idea is a setlist with none of the biggest epics.

Act  I

1. Afterlife (I will never get tired of saying this: WHAT A KILLER OPENER!)
2. The Enemy Inside
(James says hi to the crowd)
3. Beyond This Life (Budokan Version ;D)
4. Hollow Years (Budokan Version too ;D)
5. Outcry
6. Surrounded (LALP Version)

Act II

1. Blind Faith
2. Take The Time
3. The Looking Glass
4. Take Away My Pain
5. Forsaken
6. Space Dye Vest (BTFW Version :heart)
7. The Bigger Picture

Act III

1. Panic Attack
2. The Glass Prison (I'm dying to see MM playing this piece)
3. A Fortune In Lies
4. Voices
5. Far From Heaven
6. Breaking All Illusions

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 09:17:38 PM »

Act  I

2. The Enemy Inside
5. Outcry

Act II

1. Blind Faith
2. Take The Time
3. The Looking Glass
4. Take Away My Pain
5. Forsaken
7. The Bigger Picture

Act III

1. Panic Attack
3. A Fortune In Lies
4. Voices
5. Far From Heaven

I would rather have them play Surrounded '07 without the extended Beyond this Life.

The Budokan Extended BTL is cool, agree, but I would be pretty annoyed if they started to play that during a show.
It consumes roughly 8 minutes of music, which could have been used to fit something else (and better).
Otherwise, it's a killer setlist.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 10:32:51 PM »

Act  I

2. The Enemy Inside
5. Outcry

Act II

1. Blind Faith
2. Take The Time
3. The Looking Glass
4. Take Away My Pain
5. Forsaken
7. The Bigger Picture

Act III

1. Panic Attack
3. A Fortune In Lies
4. Voices
5. Far From Heaven

I would rather have them play Surrounded '07 without the extended Beyond this Life.

The Budokan Extended BTL is cool, agree, but I would be pretty annoyed if they started to play that during a show.
It consumes roughly 8 minutes of music, which could have been used to fit something else (and better).
Otherwise, it's a killer setlist.
The reason why I prefer 'Surrounded LALP' over '07, is the loyalty to the original song, just with a little JR spot at the beginning. Surrounded '07 is pretty cool, but to me, this version adds things that doesn't raise the brilliancy of this song.
Speaking about BTL, Budokan version is really longer than the original and would take a bigger place on the set list, but the idea is having something that we don't see recently: Some interaction between the Wizard and the Genie. I'd be curious to hear what it would sound like. But I understand your point, and in a certain way I agree with ya!

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 07:45:37 PM »

Act  I

2. The Enemy Inside
5. Outcry

Act II

1. Blind Faith
2. Take The Time
3. The Looking Glass
4. Take Away My Pain
5. Forsaken
7. The Bigger Picture

Act III

1. Panic Attack
3. A Fortune In Lies
4. Voices
5. Far From Heaven

This inspired me to come up with a set list that revolves around the songs from "12" but ONLY with songs under 12 minutes in length, and NO songs from Awake or SFaM, because they memorialized the anniversaries of those two albums on the AftR tour. Sort of like if they were doing "Evening With" shows on the current (2015) tour-

Set One:
1) The Looking Glass
2) Light Fuse and Get Away
3) To Live Forever
4) Sacrificed Sons
5) A Rite of Passage
6) Surrender to Reason
7) Lost Not Forgotten
8) About to Crash
9) Forsaken
10) Enigma Machine
11) Pull Me Under

~~~~Intermission~~~~

Set Two:
1) Burning My Soul
2) The ones Who Help to Set the Sun
3) Along for the Ride
4) Solitary Shell
6) This Dying Soul
7) Hell's Kitchen
8) Behind the Veil
9) This is the Life
10) Metropolis
11) The Enemy Inside

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Encore:
1) About to Crash (reprise)
2) Stargazer
3) The Root of All Evil
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:51:48 AM by chaossystem »

Offline Ruba

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 03:40:04 PM »
Heh, I'll do my adaption of "one song per one album in chronological order". a.k.a. What I'd wanted to hear last night.

1. A Fortune in Lies
2. Take the Time
3. The Mirror
4. A Change of Seasons IV: Another World (if I can't have the whole song, goddammit)
5. Trial of Tears
6. Home
7. Blind Faith
8. Stream of Consciousness
9. These Walls
10. In the Presence of Enemies, pt. 2
11. The Best of Times (okay, they WON'T play it, but no other song from the album would fit this slot)
12. Breaking All Illusions
Encore
13. Illumination Theory

So here we are. Not possibly my favourite song from each album, but I think this would flow quite nicely.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 06:15:09 PM »
That might be too long. It comes in at about 140 minutes, and the show they're playing right now is about 90 minutes.

They should play songs that they've never played live before, or haven't played for at least close to ten years.

Going chronologically, this would fit the time-slot:

1) The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
2) Learning to Live
3) Voices
4) Hell's Kitchen
5) One Last Time
6) About to Crash
7) This Dying Soul
8) The Answer Lies Within
9) Repentance
10) A Rite of Passage
11) Lost Not Forgotten
12) Surrender to reason or Behind the Veil

Or to keep it at your original length:

Set One:
1) The ones Who Help to Set the Sun
2) Learning to Live
3) Voices
4) Another World / The inevitable Summer
5) Burning My Soul
6) Home

Set Two:
1) The Glass Prison
2) This Dying Soul
3) Sacrificed Sons
4) Repentance
5) The Count of Tuscany

Encore:
1) Lost Not Forgotten
2) Behind the Veil or Surrender to Reason

This also works if you remove AW/TES and SS, and put Octavarium in instead.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 01:11:44 PM by chaossystem »

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 03:13:18 PM »
Chaos, you've just created an awesome setlist which I would really really want to see... Except for Repentance xD, take that off and it'll be ok.

Jatruccyundessgini

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 03:18:53 PM »
Which one?

the 90 minute show, or the longer  one?

Why don't you like Repentance?

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 03:20:27 PM »
Both shows.
Repentance only has like 5 mins worth, the rest of it I constantly skip it.
It's not even an atmospheric creating song, it's just slow like... It works with the rest of the suite, but not on it's own.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 03:33:43 PM »
I kind of agree.

But I would either keep the part from about 7:08-9:20, or want them to come up with a new arrangement for the instrumental section.

Or the first half would work well as part of a medley.

Like I said, part of what I was going for was songs they've never played live before, and they've never done this one with James singing it.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2015, 11:32:32 AM »
This isn't a non-existent setlist, but as I said in my report of the Helsinki show, I think the order of songs in the 30th anniversary set could've been better, so this is what I came up with:

1. Behind the Veil
2. Constant Motion
3. Afterlife
4. About to Crash
5. Caught in a Web
6. Innocence
7. Burning My Soul
8. Wither
9. As I Am
10. Panic Attack
11. The Spirit Carries On
12. Bridges in the Sky

Encore:
13. Metropolis

Alternatively, they could've kept the chronological order, but picked some other songs to make the flow better and the overall set more interesting: UAGM or Take the Time instead of Metropolis, Through Her Eyes instead of TSCO, Forsaken instead of CM, The Bigger Picture instead of BTV and so on...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 12:03:22 PM »
Metropolis works ten times better as an encore than BtV, a shame that they wanted to do it chronological, because I do think that Metropolis was the best song to choose from I&W.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 03:41:56 PM »
I think the current set-list is a little too "by-the-numbers." I wish they would take a few risks, play some songs that haven't been played for about ten years years or so, or that they've NEVER played live before!

-Status Seeker, Light Fuse and Get Away, or The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun, instead of Afterlife

-Learning to Live or Take the Time instead of Metropolis

-Another World / The Inevitable Summer, instead of Innocence

-I'm glad they brought Burning My soul back, but Hell's Kitchen, Just Let Me Breathe, Peruvian Skies, or Hollow Years (back in it's original form), would have been just as good

-Depending on what kind of time they had, Home would have been a MUCH better choice than The Spirit Carries On. Or One Last Time, if they needed a much SHORTER song.

-About to Crash was a good choice, but they've never played Repentance live with James singing it.

- As I Am, mostly because of the limited set-time, seems logical.

-I'm kind of sick of Panic Attack. I would prefer Sacrificed Sons if they had time for it. Otherwise These Walls, or even The Answer Lies Within

-Constant Motion is Fine, but Forsaken is song I I think they could do better without Portnoy.

-They should have done A Rite of Passage (abridged, without that retarded be-bot crap!), instead of Wither, a song that I don't think would really be missed all that much. or done a REALLY ballsy move, and played their version of Stargazer!

-Lost Not Forgotten would do just as well as Bridges in the Sky...

-...and the same goes for Surrender to Reason instead of Behind the Veil. Maybe in both cases the two songs could be played on alternating nights, as well as some of the older songs, such as LtL and TtT.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 03:49:46 PM by chaossystem »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 03:52:01 PM »
This isn't a non-existent setlist, but as I said in my report of the Helsinki show, I think the order of songs in the 30th anniversary set could've been better, so this is what I came up with:

1. Behind the Veil
2. Constant Motion
3. Afterlife
4. About to Crash
5. Caught in a Web
6. Innocence
7. Burning My Soul
8. Wither
9. As I Am
10. Panic Attack
11. The Spirit Carries On
12. Bridges in the Sky

Encore:
13. Metropolis

Can't disagree with that!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2015, 05:38:19 PM »
I actually agree with Chaos and with others over there.
Wither is not a good festival song, A Rite of Passage fits just pefectly.
I once said that this need for chronological order limits their setlist creativity. At least we can now be pretty sure that they are going to play The Bigger Picture in 2016
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2015, 07:33:41 PM »
I think the current set-list is a little too "by-the-numbers." I wish they would take a few risks, play some songs that haven't been played for about ten years years or so, or that they've NEVER played live before!

-Status Seeker, Light Fuse and Get Away, or The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun, instead of Afterlife

-About to Crash was a good choice, but they've never played Repentance live with James singing it.

- As I Am, mostly because of the limited set-time, seems logical.

-Constant Motion is Fine, but Forsaken is song I think they could do better without Portnoy.

-They should have done A Rite of Passage (abridged, without that retarded be-bot crap!), instead of Wither

Repentance wouldn't have replaced About to Crash, although I agree it'd be cool to have a full live version with James on vocals. At least Flying Colors gave us a fairly decent version of Repentance. To be honest I'm more interested in seeing James and John (or James and James  :xbones) doing counterpoint on The Glass Prison with MM's version of the drum parts. THAT is gonna be cool.  :metal

I think the three WDADU songs you mentioned are all the ones least likely to see the light of day for a while, even though I'm one those fans that wants the band to play everything, and I'd probably sacrifice a popular song just to fit one in that hasn't been played in ages. But if anything we're probably gonna see The Killing Hand before those tracks.

I'm pretty glad they brought back Burning my Soul, Wither, Constant Motion, Panic Attack. But I think Honor Thy Father would have been a faaar superior choice than As I Am but I may be in quite a minority on that one... (Still looking forward to when A Rite of Passage gets pulled out again WITH BEBOT! Bebot sounds even better live!!!). :P

- Profits of War

That one sounds like a Megadeth song  ;)

Didn't notice I had done that. I've probably done this so many times without realising... :lol

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2015, 11:40:49 PM »
This is probably the deadest day I've seen so far in the forum.
I wanted to spark controversy!
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2015, 04:54:03 AM »
This is probably the deadest day I've seen so far in the forum.
I wanted to spark controversy!

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35056.0
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2015, 08:30:26 AM »

The setlist was safe indeed, but keep in mind that this was a festival AND anniversary tour where they played 1˝-hour headlining shows, so it was smart to focus on the "hits". As much as I'd love to hear TOWHTSTS, it would've gotten blank stares if it'd been played. Songs like Metropolis and TSCO are fan-favorites, and the likes of Panic Attack and Constant Motion helped DT to attract new listeners in the past 10 years, so they deserve to be played on a tour that celebrates the band's 30-year career.

Besides, this was a Europe-only tour - they probably wanted to save the rarities for next year's "evening with" tour when they visit other continents as well.
Wither is not a good festival song, A Rite of Passage fits just pefectly.
Wither has way more YT views and is the most popular DT song on Spotify besides PMU, and the setlist included three metal singles right before it anyway, so it was a better choice than AROP in every possible way.

Also, AROP sucks! :biggrin: