Author Topic: Improving the setlist  (Read 3573 times)

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
Re: Improving the setlist
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2015, 05:43:58 PM »
Along (With) the Fourth Wall>

I know that this idea will never take the place in the hearts and minds of all of the people who love the  Along for the Ride tour / Breaking the Fourth Wall DVD, and think it's the GREATEST THING THEY EVER DID, but I just wanted to present this version of the show as a possible alternative.
Besides, I think there are at least a few people who would agree with me that the Awake and SFaM tracks would have been better if they were distributed throughout the concert, instead of bunched all together like they were.

Last year (2014) was also the 25th anniversary of Dream and Day, so I altered the set list(s) to include a few songs from it as well, but I ONLY included D&D songs that aren't on any of their other live albums, except for RE-Unite.

Set One:
1) The Looking Glass (I think it's a good opener, and most of the "casual fans" will probably be more familiar with this song because of the video on YouTube. After it, James does the welcoming / introduction thing, and explains about the anniversaries, which is why certain songs are included in this evening's performance)
2) The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
3) Piano/Keyboard Solo/
4) Space-Dye Vest
5) Overture 1928 (I couldn't get Strange Deja Vu to fit in with my time-limit, but I think a lot of people would love to hear "Overture" anyway. I know I would)
6) Surrender to reason
7) Status Seeker
8) Scarred
9) Beyond This Life (In it's original form. I wanted to include another track from Act One of SFaM, and I don't think they played this one much after the ToT tour.)
10) Breaking All Illusions
11) The Enemy Inside (I know a lot of people won't agree with me, but I think it would make a good set-closer.)

Set Two:
1) Behind the Veil (Along with StR, I think it's a shame that this song got left off of the AFtR tour.)
2) Light Fuse and Get Away
3) The Dance of Eternity/
4) One Last Time (I've always liked this song, and I think it makes the show more complete)
5) Along for the Ride
6) Innocence Faded (I never cared much for The Mirror or LSoaD, and as much as I love Lie, it usually sounds pretty awful when they play it live. I love the Score version of this song, so hopefully they could pull something like that off again!)
7) On the Backs of Angels (I thought all along that the two ADSoE songs should be played in separate sets. A lot of people don't care for this song, but I do, so I kept it in as part of the show.)
8) Enigma Machine/
9) Drum Solo
10) The Shattered Fortress (I put this one here because I thought it would make for a spectacular almost-ending song...)
11) Finally Free (With the "Live Scenes" jam at the end!)

Encore:
Illumination Theory (C'mon! Are you REALLY going to tell me you wouldn't just LOVE it if they saved this "epic" for the encore???)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 11:58:21 PM by chaossystem »
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2015, 08:25:21 PM »
Well, that's an interesting setlist, altho like all of your ideas, some of your choices are very strange - in particular the placement of songs (openers, closers, songs in the middle of the set). I think your nickname on here ought to be "Setlist Fantasy Man" instead of "chaossystem" since that's all you seem to be posting these days!   :lol
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline progrockman

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2015, 02:44:00 PM »
Hello I joined because I seen DT and wanted to discuss my (current, but subject to change of course) preferable set list with like minded fans.

SET 1
-Only a matter of time (one of the better more cohesive tracks on WDADU)
-The bigger picture (best track on DT and in a while, gives hope for their future of songwriting)
-Learning to live (epic and uplifting)
-Misunderstood (grooves well, catchy)
-The mirror (one of the heavier but well structured on awake)
-Breaking all illusions (once again after TOT I find it hard to pick one track to include except this one stands out as the obvious choice)
-Trial of tears (the most DT sounding song in FII, great track, a gem)
-This dying soul (this song, soo good as are all on TOT)
-Home (single edit) (definitely a stunner on M2SFAM, for the odd occasion I prefer the single edit)

SET 2
-Metropolis pt. 1 (I&W is chock full of excellence and this one is a stand out in prog history)
-A rite of passage (even more difficult to compile this one as BCSL ranks lower on my prefernce than SC, but the better track overall)
-Innocence faded (definitely the most popular track on Awake and for good reason)
-In the presence of enemies pt. 1 (was difficult to pick a track from this album as the tracks do not hold in high regard here for me except this one)
-Hells kitchen (I love this instrumental one of the very best they've done)
-Endless sacrifice (well written, well structured, well done)
-Overture 1928/strange deja vu (strange de ja vu is insanely catchy and enjoyable, joined with overture 1928 makes up for the lack of guitar solo)
-I walk beside you (one of the better mellow tracks of the latter stuff)
-The glass prison (insane riffs, solos but not over the top)

ENCORE
-A change of seasons (best long track to date, was partially written with kevin moore still in band, I like that)

Obviously my preference is I&W to TOT as I got two of my favourites listed. While I include 1 favourite track from post TOT for completeness and to lower overall time. This list is more or less a greatest hits, song orders are kind of random on purpose but could use improvement im sure.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2015, 03:12:23 PM »
Welcome! I think your setlist is amazing, you've actually included A LOT of my favourite DT tracks!! I think that would possibly be my favourite show ever if I got to see that  ;D

EDIT: the only thing I would perhaps say is that Only A Matter Of Time seems like a slightly strange choice for an opener... But that's being incredibly nitpicky as I love that song to bits and really want them to bring it back live ASAP...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2015, 03:25:11 PM »
Hello I joined because I seen DT and wanted to discuss my (current, but subject to change of course) preferable set list with like minded fans.

SET 1
-The bigger picture (best track on DT and in a while, gives hope for their future of songwriting)
-Breaking all illusions (once again after TOT I find it hard to pick one track to include except this one stands out as the obvious choice)
-Home (single edit) (definitely a stunner on M2SFAM, for the odd occasion I prefer the single edit)

SET 2
-Metropolis pt. 1 (I&W is chock full of excellence and this one is a stand out in prog history)
-A rite of passage (even more difficult to compile this one as BCSL ranks lower on my prefernce than SC, but the better track overall)
-Innocence faded (definitely the most popular track on Awake and for good reason)
-In the presence of enemies pt. 1 (was difficult to pick a track from this album as the tracks do not hold in high regard here for me except this one)
-Overture 1928/strange deja vu (strange de ja vu is insanely catchy and enjoyable, joined with overture 1928 makes up for the lack of guitar solo)

ENCORE
-A change of seasons (best long track to date, was partially written with kevin moore still in band, I like that)

Obviously my preference is I&W to TOT as I got two of my favourites listed. While I include 1 favourite track from post TOT for completeness and to lower overall time. This list is more or less a greatest hits, song orders are kind of random on purpose but could use improvement im sure.
Great setlist honestly, although I will never get the love for Innocence Faded. And personally I'd prefer The Looking Glass over The Bigger Picture, but if we're going to discuss personal setlists we'll be busy for the next couple of weeks so I'll skip that.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2015, 04:48:31 PM »

SET 1

SET 2

ENCORE

Yes, WELCOME!
Thursday (7/23/15) was my one-year anniversary for being on the forum. I hope the next year is as interesting and exciting for you as it has been so far for me.

Is this a show you would like them to do right now?
I don't like ALL of the songs that you picked, but I DO like the fact that you "mixed up" the sequence that they would appear in, instead of putting them in the order that most people would EXPECT them to be in.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline progrockman

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2015, 06:18:20 PM »
Thanks for the compliments and welcome. Yeah, Only a matter of time as the opener seems a odd opener, I figured because its from their debut and not played live as much and labrie sings it well and that the second goes opposite into one of their newest tracks. With the set list arrangement its purposefully randomized old-new-new-old-ish  :laugh:, and doubles from an album are one per set. Yes I would like to see this show or a close variation.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2015, 07:21:14 PM »
TSCO - while I get the idea behind including this song, this was another disappointment; instead of this, with the guitar solo intro, I'd go with Home which had the cool excerpt of Stockholm Syndrome tacked on to the end
I'm a bit late to the party here, but I definitely am very interested in this particular gem!
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2015, 06:13:56 PM »
I think the Luna Park show is great as is, and there's very little about it that I would change. However, at least a few people have complained that it didn't include music from a few of their albums that maybe should have been in there. They pretty much stayed with a "best-of," or best-known songs format from the ones that they DID include, probably as a way of introducing Mike Mangini to the audience, and him to them and the band's music, and I pretty much stayed with that idea. This is no way meant to be thought of as an improvement over Luna Park, but more like a set list that they could ALSO have played on the tour.

Set One:
1) Bridges in the Sky
2) Voices
3) War Inside My Head/
4) The test That Stumped Them All
5) Build Me Up, Break Me Down
6) Piano/Keyboard Solo/
7) Forsaken
8) Lost Not Forgotten
9) The Spirit Carries On
10) Pull Me Under
11) On the Backs of Angels

~~~~Intermission~~~~

Set Two:
1) Outcry
2) Just Let Me Breathe
3) A Fortune in Lies
4) A Rite of Passage
5) This is the Life
6) As I Am
7) The Root of All Evil
8) Drum Solo/
9) 6:00
10) Breaking All Illusions

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Encore:
1) Stargazer
2) Metropolis
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 01:10:05 PM by chaossystem »