Author Topic: Why so much hate on You Not Me?  (Read 5105 times)

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
Re: Why so much hate on You Not Me?
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2015, 03:10:21 PM »
I don't hate it. I like that DT can get a little "funky" once in a while!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline pdurbin22

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2015, 12:54:11 PM »
I happen to like the song a lot, and think it gets a bad rap because it signifies the label pressure they were facing at the time.  Taken on its own merit, though, it's a fine song that I always enjoy when listening to FII (which is a terrific, underrated album). 

The bigger question for me is why "Cover My Eyes" didn't make the album.  If the label was pushing for accessible songs and crossover potential, why the hell would they let DT leave off a 3.5 minute song with a super catchy chorus? 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2015, 01:56:23 PM »
What is "funky" about You Not Me?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2015, 02:15:43 PM »
I too liked that song a lot. That Post chorus/Outro riff section sucks me in everytime!
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline Cable

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2015, 09:35:34 PM »
It could be worse for YNM/YOM - it could be named The Dark Eternal Night.  ;)

What is "funky" about You Not Me?

The main wah riff and variations can be taken as funky sounding. JP also uses some heavy muting in his solo that also gives off a funky sound. Not true funk or anything I would agree on that.
---

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2015, 06:55:32 AM »
I happen to like the song a lot, and think it gets a bad rap because it signifies the label pressure they were facing at the time.  Taken on its own merit, though, it's a fine song that I always enjoy when listening to FII (which is a terrific, underrated album). 

The bigger question for me is why "Cover My Eyes" didn't make the album.  If the label was pushing for accessible songs and crossover potential, why the hell would they let DT leave off a 3.5 minute song with a super catchy chorus?

just for the record, "Cover My Eyes" is my favorite DT song ever. 

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2015, 04:35:19 AM »
I personally dislike the song from the first time I listened to FII. Other songs were mostly ok, but I just couldn't stand the chorus in YNM. That melody, along with the drum beat (talking about the chorus), it's just nope for me, I don't know why, but I just feel like listening to some shitty band when I hear that
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇